Options

Guardian Fighter Feedback - Discussions

Comments

• Options
    colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    oicidraz wrote: »
    -snipetty-snip-

GF isn't a DPS Class, but yes, we have Conqueror which is the DPS tree, but I still think that DPS shouldn't be the most important aspect even for a conqueror, just like a Nature HR wouldn't surpass a DC, a Conqueror GF shouldn't surpass a DPS Class.

By your logic, a TR should not be able to stealth and be all tanky as they are? What about CW meathead specs? Conqueror is the first tree in our feat tree for a reason. Think twice, before you actually start posting, pal. I won't comment any further on this, though. (it is better for the both of us)

---

Take care.

• Options
    herundrionherundrion Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I just wanted to say thank you to the developers for taking in this discussion and testing the changes with players' feedback. While it might take longer and, according to some, should've been done earlier. It's happening to some extent and I am grateful.

Sure, nothing constructive here, but whatever.
    Co-Founder of -Valor-
    vih2r9.png
  • Options
    brynicstormbornbrynicstormborn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 41
    edited June 2014
    tonyswu wrote: »
    I disagree. Conqueror is a DPS tree, by definition. If you want to play as a tank, roll a protector.

This is flawed logic. A DPS spec of a tank class is still a tank, just a higher damage one.
    - B
  • Options
    oicidrazoicidraz Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    By your logic, a TR should not be able to stealth and be all tanky as they are? What about CW meathead specs? Conqueror is the first tree in our feat tree for a reason. Think twice, before you actually start posting, pal. I won't comment any further on this, though. (it is better for the both of us)

---

Take care.

Lol, wrong thread, but anyway.

Well, for me Guardian Fighter have the word Guardian before the Fighter, but you have your point... but for me it's wrong the way it is now, if it was up to me I wouldn't introduce Tenacity, and for example a TR should have a great mobility and DPS but if you CC/Prone them they would be squishy, same for HR, but with some powers they have (ITC/Stealth for TR and AOFLW/Forest Meditation/Set Bonuses, etc... for HR) and Tenacity they seem very Tanky, so yea, there's a lot of things that are not Ok for me...
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Conqueror is the first tree in our feat tree for a reason.

You realize that Instigator and Saboteur are also first in the feat trees? Your logic is spurious. I'm not saying that you shouldn't play a DPS-y conq if you want, just that it's not first because it's best or whatever it is that you thought you were driving at. It's on top because that's where it is, no other reason.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    tonyswutonyswu Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    This is flawed logic. A DPS spec of a tank class is still a tank, just a higher damage one.
    - B

No, I think your logic is flawed. Our class is called Guardian Fighter. No where does it say that a Guardian Fighter has to be a tank. It can be a Guardian Fighter that does DPS, and guard is just there to increase survivibility like GWF's sprint / unstoppable.

There should be no grey areas. It's either a tank, or it's a DPS. There should be no DPS-and-or-tank nonsense.
  • Options
    brynicstormbornbrynicstormborn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 41
    edited June 2014
    tonyswu wrote: »
    No, I think your logic is flawed. Our class is called Guardian Fighter. No where does it say that a Guardian Fighter has to be a tank. It can be a Guardian Fighter that does DPS, and guard is just there to increase survivibility like GWF's sprint / unstoppable.

There should be no grey areas. It's either a tank, or it's a DPS. There should be no DPS-and-or-tank nonsense.

Really? When did people in MMOs start wanting their class to do everything. If you wanted to play a fighter who did DPS, you should have rolled a GWF. That is what the class is for. If you want a tank, play a guardian fighter. That's what this class is for. The feat trees just lean the class one way or another, not change the entire nature of the class.

Just because tanking hasn't been necessary (or even possible/practical) before does not mean that the class is not the tank class of the game. If you think otherwise you're deluding yourself. Each of the classes has a different vision and role and it should be that way. Otherwise all the classes end up the same.
    - B
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    -snip-

I'd like to see a change to the Balanced Shield Fighter feat. Right now the feat is basically wasting space in a tree that isn't focused on damage anyway, and will be even worse once the stamina based guard goes into effect.

Keeping with the idea of balance (adding DPS to a mitigation tree) I'd like to see a feat that improves Guarded Assault, but I'd be okay with just about any change. :)

- B

Guardian fighter aggro management 101: Higher damage = more threat. Since aggravating strike deals a pretty high amount of damage already, 15% on top of the default value is great.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Guardian fighter aggro management 101: Higher damage = more threat. Since aggravating strike deals a pretty high amount of damage already, 15% on top of the default value is a great.

And how many Aggravating Strikes are you able to get off under the new guard system, exactly? I was able to do at most 2-3 before running out of guard.
    - B
  • Options
    emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    This might have something to do with that: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qpq_FmAt_VU
    - B

Ah good times :)
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    marko531 wrote: »
    I tested all changes for the upcoming module 4 on all classes, and i dont think anything is gona change in PVE for GF, cw still has too much control/damage in the same time so there will be no or little place for a GF in dungeons, But this can be fixed by making some good party buff powers on GF (i like mark buff but its not nearly enough to make GF wanted in pve no matter how good he is in tanking). after hours of testing i have to say i agree with ppl who want to keep the block version on live server but buffed for a change. Would also like to keep moving speed and reaction time like on test server, i REALY like those.

Suggestion 1: make that Into the fray gives at least 15% damage boost to party(or some crit severity?) + more on tactician tree. This would great in pvp too.

Suggestion 2: make that iron warrior (since its pretty much useless with enforced threat buffed) has a long cooldown (25/30 sec) but resurect a single fallen ally from distance like eye of lathander artifact does.

Suggestion 3: Replace knee breaker with a whole new party buff power, nobody use knee breaker :D

GF aint a Paladin bro
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    And how many Aggravating Strikes are you able to get off under the new guard system, exactly? I was able to do at most 2-3 before running out of guard.
    - B

Same, 2-3 and 1-2 hits should be enough to take aggro anyway. Unless you have a very low crit rate and no power or other dmg boosting attributes. On live, my conqueror without any form of additional threat, takes aggro from the so called tanks. And i doubt this is going to change even with the additional threat generating fluff-stuff. Like i mentioned before, the best way of keeping aggro is damage, constant and high spike damage or a contant medium dps. You aren't supposed to sit behind your shield and play possum for the duration of the entire fight, though. You can drop guard accossionally and use an encounter or maybe even two, or three. Unless you happen to be one of those party buffing people, then you are SoL and sticking threat generating skills is of course the only option.

---

P.S. I know this aggro/threat management for over 5 years by now and know what i am talking about, trust me.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Same, 2-3 and 1-2 hits should be enough to take aggro anyway. Unless you have a very low crit rate and no power or other dmg boosting attributes. On live, my conqueror without any form of additional threat, takes aggro from the so called tanks. And i doubt this is going to change even with the additional threat generating fluff-stuff. Like i mentioned before, the best way of keeping aggro is damage, constant and high spike damage or a contant medium dps. You aren't supposed to sit behind your shield and play possum for the duration of the entire fight, though. You can drop guard accossionally and use an encounter or maybe even two, or three. Unless you happen to be one of those party buffing people, then you are SoL and sticking threat generating skills is of course the only option.

---

P.S. I know this aggro/threat management for over 5 years by now and know what i am talking about, trust me.

Haha. I've been playing tank classes in mmo 's for over 12 years. Doesn't mean I know everything there is to know.

Enforced threat, enhanced mark, etc are all far more effective threat generation than aggravating strike. Heck, if it comes to punch-voking the enemies I'd rather use an attack like cleave that can hit multiple enemies than aggravating strike.

Especially with the new block changes, these at wills are barely going to see any use.
    - B
  • Options
    mfgamesysmfgamesys Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Haha. I've been playing tank classes in mmo 's for over 12 years. Doesn't mean I know everything there is to know.

Enforced threat, enhanced mark, etc are all far more effective threat generation than aggravating strike. Heck, if it comes to punch-voking the enemies I'd rather use an attack like cleave that can hit multiple enemies than aggravating strike.

Especially with the new block changes, these at wills are barely going to see any use.
    - B

I only use aggravating strike once or twice its great to get ez aggro i enjoy having an at will with 2k damage :)
    Main-Lothor Syralth Guardian Fighter
  • Options
    elveelve Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 336
    edited June 2014
    Really? When did people in MMOs start wanting their class to do everything. If you wanted to play a fighter who did DPS, you should have rolled a GWF. That is what the class is for. If you want a tank, play a guardian fighter. That's what this class is for. The feat trees just lean the class one way or another, not change the entire nature of the class.

Just because tanking hasn't been necessary (or even possible/practical) before does not mean that the class is not the tank class of the game. If you think otherwise you're deluding yourself. Each of the classes has a different vision and role and it should be that way. Otherwise all the classes end up the same.
    - B
    No class should be a one trick pony - there should be different builds for the GF just as there are different builds for all other classes(and if any other class has useless specs that should be also fixed). The DPS and support roles should be just as viable as the tank role for GFs. Currently if we try to support we do next to nothing - we can neither protect nor buff properly and if we try to DPS we do about half the damage of the other classes in dungeons and on top of that we are left more vulnerable as we don't have our "get away from large aoe" skill.
  • Options
    marko531marko531 Member Posts: 32
    edited June 2014
    emilemo wrote: »
    GF aint a Paladin bro

Correct but currently GF is nothing in this game, usually a "tank" in other mmos represent a damage drinker+CC/buff role character. Making it damage dealer dont fit the shield looks and a role description. Making it tanky with huge life and def stats (right now they are after wizards the easyest class to kill) will just make him way too OP for pvp, so we can drop that dream too. Question is why say no on buffer idea? It fits the tactician tree. And i suggested that only 3 powers get revised, Palading is all out Buffer or damage dealer + some healing in DnD, why can we have a semi buffer tank..
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    marko531 wrote: »
    Correct but currently GF is nothing in this game, usually a "tank" in other mmos represent a damage drinker+CC/buff role character. Making it damage dealer dont fit the shield looks and a role description. Making it tanky with huge life and def stats (right now they are after wizards the easyest class to kill) will just make him way too OP for pvp, so we can drop that dream too. Question is why say no on buffer idea? It fits the tactician tree. And i suggested that only 3 powers get revised, Palading is all out Buffer or damage dealer + some healing in DnD, why can we have a semi buffer tank..

It is a guardian fighter not a paladin the class is not going to get turned into one. And two this is not your every other mmo. Also we are not a tank we are a guardian fighter it describes what we are already. Getting tired of the term "tank" being dropped as being our sole class description over and over.
  • Options
    thestaggythestaggy Member Posts: 1,102 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2014
    Guardian Fighter: Threatening Rush: Threatening Rush is now usable At Will again, without charges or a cooldown. Great Weapon Fighters still use the charge based system.
    Guardian Fighter: Block will now grant CC Immunity while active.

Thank you for looking into Threatening Rush from a GFs perspective!

Will the CC Immunity also include preventing CWs from freezing us in PVP? Right now on Live they can get through our shield.
    PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.
  • Options
    marko531marko531 Member Posts: 32
    edited June 2014
    mfgamesys wrote: »
    It is a guardian fighter not a paladin the class is not going to get turned into one. And two this is not your every other mmo. Also we are not a tank we are a guardian fighter it describes what we are already. Getting tired of the term "tank" being dropped as being our sole class description over and over.

Nobody really cares what tires you, i dont wanna argue with u about nonsence about is it tank or guardian. I made a suggestion how to make GF wanted in dungeons, i dont see where i proposed that GF should be turned into paladin. If u dont like the idea, dont comment. Cheers.
  • Options
    reagenlionel1reagenlionel1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    elve wrote: »
    No class should be a one trick pony - there should be different builds for the GF just as there are different builds for all other classes(and if any other class has useless specs that should be also fixed). The DPS and support roles should be just as viable as the tank role for GFs. Currently if we try to support we do next to nothing - we can neither protect nor buff properly and if we try to DPS we do about half the damage of the other classes in dungeons and on top of that we are left more vulnerable as we don't have our "get away from large aoe" skill.

This is exactly how i feel as well. Like trying to force all GF's to play the exact same with with the exact same skills and relatively the same builds. Wont be no variety of anything else.
  • Options
    tonyswutonyswu Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited June 2014

- B

You got me wrong. The fundamental difference between GWF and GF is not their functions, but their game play. Whether they can be tank or DPS is defined by the devs. If, hypothetically, conqueror GF does the same dps as CW with about the same damage mitigation and occasional block that helps with survival, is it tank or DPS? I am not saying tanking isn't necessary and shouldn't be necessary, if you searched the forum for my posts, I've been saying the exact opposite, bring us balance and define distinct differences between the roles of defender / healer / striker / controller. And that is precisely why there shouldn't be grey areas.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    trohkarr wrote: »
    Dear Mr. Meyer

This whole balancing, rebalancing, nerfing and buffing will NEVER work unless you get 2 different systems -> one for PvE and the other for PvP

I only play PvP. I do not have to aggro 20 mobs, i need to preemptive raise my shield because no matter how good my reflexes are, i can't react to a stealth lashing blade from a TR.
    While i can dig the changes for purely PvE play, why do my class needs to get punished for enjoying only PvP? I can't have a healer by my side in PvP every time.

If this new guard mechanic goes live, the GF is just a sitting duck, waiting to get slayed. Every opponent will wait out the stamina drain or just attack if the GF is hesitant to raise his shield.

Please Chris, we PvP GFs really need the old guard mechanic back! You don't even have to buff it, leave it as it is but i need to raise my shield without "penalty" and once i block, no damage should go thru, unless the meter is broken -> aka the shield is destroyed.

A GF PvP enthusiast

I tend to agree with you but I will point something out. In PVP I dont wait for people to attack me. I engage, Im a freakin reckless attacker after all. A GF doesnt have to be the passive element in a PVP fight, he can be active too

That being said, I think the Stamina drain should at least start after the first hit from the enemy
  • Options
    edited June 2014

- B

Oh i did not mean to offend you in any way, i was just trying to explain how the aggro management works. Now imagine a conqueror with threat generating skills, no protector could ever steal aggro off of that, a tactician on the other hand may very well steal aggro with lunging strike.

---

When i said i know this aggro management system for over 5 years, i didn't mean from mmos in general. It is exactly this very system we have in NW that i am using for such a long period of time, since it is a exact copy of Champions online's aggro system.

I only use aggravating strike once or twice its great to get ez aggro i enjoy having an at will with 2k damage :)

2k base damage? or critical? Mine deals up to 8500 crit (no vorpal), but i am also a bit sick in the head and drop conqueror feated KC on anything that moves, lmao...

• Options
    edited June 2014
    2k base damage? or critical? Mine deals up to 8500 crit (no vorpal), but i am also a bit sick in the head and drop conqueror feated KC on anything that moves, lmao...

I meant 2k base dmg and since i use gpf i get 4k crits once i go through my debuff routine
  • Options
    edited June 2014

:D ..My man, I do exactly the same
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Oh i did not mean to offend you in any way, i was just trying to explain how the aggro management works. Now imagine a conqueror with threat generating skills, no protector could ever steal aggro off of that, a tactician on the other hand may very well steal aggro with lunging strike.

---

When i said i know this aggro management system for over 5 years, i didn't mean from mmos in general. It is exactly this very system we have in NW that i am using for such a long period of time, since it is a exact copy of Champions online's aggro system.

I played Champions Online for about 18 months as well. Here's the thing - it doesn't matter if the aggro management is the same in Neverwinter as in Champions. Go test the new changes to Enforced Threat - the enemies aggro in me immediately no matter who they were aggroed on. Meaning I can steal aggo from a conqueror just as easily as I can steal aggro from a control wizard. I am placed instantly at the top of the threat list.

Now, that conqueror could steal threat back with a use of their own Enforced Threat, but all that would do is make the enemies run back and forth between the two guardian fighters. Which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

Either way, Aggravating Strike has little or no impact on the battle. Which is why I think protectors should get something different as a T4 (read - supposed to be something good that only protectors can get) feat selection.
    - B
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    *snip*

I don't think the changes you're talking about are possible, because those aren't swordmaster feats. They're heroic feats. Meaning everybody in the class gets access to the same feats, regardless of whether they're swordmasters or iron vanguards.
    - B
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I don't think the changes you're talking about are possible, because those aren't swordmaster feats. They're heroic feats. Meaning everybody in the class gets access to the same feats, regardless of whether they're swordmasters or iron vanguards.
    - B

I think he meant once you take the swordmaster path that these heroic feats become altered from how they were designed for the iron vanguard path which I think could be easily feasible.
  • Options
    ripyourlipsoffripyourlipsoff Member Posts: 1,552 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    - B
    \

Maybe but both Iv and SM feats are the same... I mean change FLS to Flourish and a couple others they are exact, Sm should have better DPS synergy?
    Shieldbash 60 GF ~ Iron Vanguard 19.0k
    Overpowered 60 CW ~ Thaumaturge 14.5k
    ==========================================

~ GF Buffs were great we are much better, please fix the bugs now... Thank you!
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    \

Maybe but both Iv and SM feats are the same... I mean change FLS to Flourish and a couple others they are exact, Sm should have better DPS synergy?

I see where you're coming from. Something to give Swordmasters more DPS and Vanguards more survivability.
    I think he meant once you take the swordmaster path that these heroic feats become altered from how they were designed for the iron vanguard path which I think could be easily feasible.

Yes, but I get the feeling that there is no mechanic programmed into the game to allow that. Yes, a lot of things can be reprogrammed. But games also have core, root systems that can't be changed without causing lots of unforeseen problems. Hence the bugs that pop up every so often. Internal and preview testing can only catch so much because of their small scale.
    - B