What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cryptic OFFICIAL Feedback Thread: Refinement System - Pt. 2

Comments

• Options
    chocobofarmerchocobofarmer Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Catalysts can be gotten through dungeons, and are not lost on failure if you protect them with wards, and coal wards right now can be gotten through praying. What I'm suggesting is to make a way for coal wards to be gotten by means other than tarmalune bars or zen store, and to compensate it by adding back some of the ad sink of the refining system. I'm not being a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, I'm being extremely tolerant of a lot of illogical whining. Doing what I suggest would prevent coal wards from being obtained only through real life money, and it would prevent rampant ad inflation.
  • Options
    werealchemistwerealchemist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Catalysts can be gotten through dungeons, and are not lost on failure if you protect them with wards, and coal wards right now can be gotten through praying. What I'm suggesting is to make a way for coal wards to be gotten by means other than tarmalune bars or zen store, and to compensate it by adding back some of the ad sink of the refining system. I'm not being a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, I'm being extremely tolerant of a lot of illogical whining. Doing what I suggest would prevent coal wards from being obtained only through real life money, and it would prevent rampant ad inflation.

/facepalm
    do I need to quote myself?
    I also agree with removing the Coffer of Wondrous Augmentation as long as there is an alternative way to get them [wards] and setting an AD price would be a great way to do that
    21.jpg
  • Options
    janderxjanderx Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I have to admit that after giving a bit more of use to the refine system it may be a bit better than the fuse system.
    Yet this is pending that the regeants are cheap, dropable and don't take to do twice the dungeon of the day like now.

I have to say that currently my PC that is in the live shard can't go beyond 10,10x GS and in preview shard valindra's tower required a 10,500 GS that so far is imposible for me to reach BUT thanks to the refine system I refined a bunch of enchanments that I already have and my GS went up to 10,50x so, it seems that it would be more practical to ends and cheaper...yet this was because I bought a few regents before...
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I have not done very well at finding (green) marks in normal skill nodes. But I got a few of them playing a couple of rounds of Sword Coast Adventures (also the ones for artifact upgrading, which you can't even buy). I'm sure people will have mixed feelings about that.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    syrusgreycloaksyrusgreycloak Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    BUG: Refinement System: Items in slot
    Did something stupid, but uncovered this bug - if you add an enchantment to an item but do NOT commit the change first (the stupid part I was mentioning), you can still choose Refine and upgrade the enchantment. If you commit the change AFTER upgrading the enchantment, it reverts back to the original item slotted and the items you used to upgrade the enchantment are still gone. Luckily I did this with the Savage Rank 1s given by the new sage quest, so I only lost the enchants and Minor Mark needed for Rank 2. I can only imagine the explosion you'll get if someone does that for an upper rank enchant.

Steps to reproduce:
    1. Right-click item.
    2. Choose Manage Item Enchantments.
    3. Click button for slot in Enchanting window.
    4. Select the enchantment to add to the item. DO NOT click the Enchant button at the bottom to commit.
    5. Click the slot button again.
    6. Choose Refine.
    7. Refine enchantment so it can be upgraded.
    8. Upgrade enchantment.
    9. Back in Enchanting window, click Enchant button at bottom. - Item will revert to what was slotted, and items used for upgraded are still gone. Item refinement screen that is still open will also revert back to the original item.
    Alexandrius Moonstar, Level 60 Wood Elf Control Wizard
    Rar'rizton Kenana, Level 60 Drow Elf Trickster Rogue
    Syrus Greycloak, Level 30 Moon Elf Control Wizard
    Lucan Huntinghawk, Level 17 Moon Elf Hunter Ranger

Sacred Silver Blades (www.sacredkeep.com)
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    According to the tooltip for preservation wards, they are only supposed to be lost on a FAILED upgrade attempt. I posted earlier in this thread that I lost P. Wards on successful attempts as well, and only had one reply from a non-dev that they are supposed to be lost (which makes them rather pointless). Is this the case? I've been through 40+ pages of posts for the system and have not seen a dev post stating that P. Wards are lost no matter the outcome of the upgrade.

Google Docs folder with screenshots

I have 6 P. Wards in inventory at the start. I had success on the first try, and then have 5 P. Wards after. So which bug to report - losing a P. Ward on a successful attempt, or bad tooltip saying that P. Wards aren't lost on a successful attempt?

Didn't see a fix for this in the latest patch notes

BUG: Refinement System : Wards
    Preservation Wards are consumed on successful upgrades of enchantments, contrary to the description of the item.

See link in quote for screenshots.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    I have also reported the bug two posts above in-game.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    jintortlejintortle Member Posts: 655 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Had a look again at the Refinement system and the new quest which gives a ring and 4 lv 1 Enchantments to play with explained a hell of a lot. Was so confused with all my lv 4's 5's etc... Was impressed with the ease I made them lv 5. Good Job.

The bad side.
    AD AD AD AD AD AD AD AD AD
    I usually only make to rank 7.

So rank 6 to rank 7 has been estimated at 31,000AD + this is with 1 mark at 25k and 1.5 Wards. Realistically is likely 3 Wards. So 34k, (In my estimation) then of course the cost for lv 1-6 add another 4-5k (not really looking).

All in all, If I made 5 lv 7's a Month - 175k (35k total each) for the month. Today would cost me 35-70 k for Wards. About 105k + more on the new system.

You might say it only need 3 though - I say big woop - so now I make and extra 2 a month so 245k approximately.

Then you sell the Rank 7 in AH - and extra 45K on top each too cover expenses, time and 12.5% Commission and the buyer pays for it. But you want to keep some so it goes up 60K. They wont buy at that price and you are out of pocket. 100K (k = thousand) down the drain or around $2.5-$3.

Now, i Understand some people want the new system because it is cheaper for lv 8,9,10 etc... good on them. I completely understand.

For a person on a Budget though it is hard. I do put Zen into the game - Under $150 but more then $85.

These are for pleasurable items and even though I make a few AD through Professions, Dailies etc ..... A lot of my AD already goes on Wards - I buy approximately 30-40 (140k ad) a week (for some reason I can't let a lv 4 go without a ward, it would slow me down).

Adding up all of the enchanting I do at the moment - it would cost me an extra (rough estimate) 300k a week. In reality I have not got this type of money and I would not be storing Enchantment's and maybe make a lv 8. i would be selling them for the AD.

So it is just AD, AD, AD, AD, AD.. I really do not know if I will enchant and play the silly AD/Refinement game or just sell them as they come in and buy on AH what I want.

Now I think of it - All the money I could have if I didn't ward lv 4's + with only needing 3 to Refine it would mean more wards... Oh I do not know :)

Best of luck - that is my scenario.

Like I said at the beginning the new task rewards, to explain it was good. But I went and dropped like 400k on the Catalyst's and that was like all my AD and came out with 2 lv 5's and a 1/2 to next level Artifact LOL

Peace!

P.S. I also do those Surveys and that earns Neverwinter Money - but I am in A country where the rewards are quite small - 63 Zen is average - 1/2 of those earnings go towards Lock Box keys the other goes towards Wards - just to let you know!
    Genus Draco Fad and the Muster@Jintortle
    ID: NW-DD5FLOBTJ
    Cult of the Dragon Foundry Contest - Please participate and vote for your favourite - 26/6/2014 contest rating begins.

Sir Camps A Lot. Mr SlingShot Boom. XX Phantasmagorical. Jinn Dragonfeast.
    SlingShot Boom Jr. Jocan Traders. Little Lord Forgatty, Dwarf Mean and introducing Necro Torquemada (The Warlock)
  • Options
    uurbsuurbs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 449 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    jintortle wrote: »
    [...]
    So rank 6 to rank 7 has been estimated at 31,000AD + this is with 1 mark at 25k and 1.5 Wards. Realistically is likely 3 Wards. So 34k, (In my estimation) then of course the cost for lv 1-6 add another 4-5k (not really looking).
    You're aware that the "Mark of Potency" also do drop?
    Proud member of Dragon Clan - German Gaming Community
  • Options
    argantisargantis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    P.S. I also do those Surveys and that earns Neverwinter Money - but I am in A country where the rewards are quite small - 63 Zen is average - 1/2 of those earnings go towards Lock Box keys the other goes towards Wards - just to let you know!

I will not play a game that requires me to sell my personal information in order to be competative.
  • Options
    syka08syka08 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Then you sell the Rank 7 in AH - and extra 45K on top each too cover expenses, time and 12.5% Commission and the buyer pays for it. But you want to keep some so it goes up 60K. They wont buy at that price and you are out of pocket. 100K (k = thousand) down the drain or around $2.5-$3.

Comissions are only 12.5% if you post from anywhere in the world that is neither the gateway or the auction house in PE. I could have sworn I read patch notes somewhere that stated that they were making it a flat 10% everywhere, but I'm having trouble locating that and haven't been using the AH to test (so I don't know if it's on live or preview).
    edit: found it. And for some reason it's only on preview for now.
    terramak wrote: »
    Auctions: The Trade House no longer has an increased Trade House cut when starting an Auction in the field.

so there's savings there as well. Don't know if it'll help you in your overall calculations, but shaving off a bit more can't hurt.

Plus what info uurbs linked.

If between these things you still cannot find a profit in enchantments, perhaps it would be time to find a new niche?
    contents to be decided
  • Options
    nonameidknonameidk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Type: Feedback
    Category: Refinement Window, User Interface, Fun Factor

A few suggestions in no particular order:
    1. Remove the unnecessary step of clicking "Continue" after you already clicked "Upgrade" to start the process.
    2. The speed is a lot better now, although I personally would like it even better if it was even faster.
    3. Make the "fusing animation" a lot more fun.

Example:
    J7iQKnO.png

Great work so far and I hope you take my suggestions into consideration.
    ^Just so you don't miss it after the big pic :)
    When in doubt, just hold on. A new day will rise :)
  • Options
    whiteprophecywhiteprophecy Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    My only complaint is that the high end resources needed to upgrade epic quality enchantments are not available to solo players. IMO, every resource should be a random drop and NOT dungeon content specific.
  • Options
    uurbsuurbs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 449 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    My only complaint is that the high end resources needed to upgrade epic quality enchantments are not available to solo players. IMO, every resource should be a random drop and NOT dungeon content specific.
    I haven't tried it myself, but from reading some thread I gathered, that the epic Marks of Potency do drop from the daily instances (and I would guess that they are solo instance) in Dread Spire.
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    uurbs wrote: »
    I haven't tried it myself, but from reading some thread I gathered, that the epic Marks of Potency do drop from the daily instances (and I would guess that they are solo instance) in Dread Spire.

The artifact ones (greater mark of union, power, and stability) drop in the lairs, not the greater mark of potency.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    dardove wrote: »
    The artifact ones (greater mark of union, power, and stability) drop in the lairs, not the greater mark of potency.
    Thanks for clarifying, didn't catched that :(
  • Options
    krinamankrinaman Member Posts: 129 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013

Agreed.

Sadly, it's just not epics it's the rares as well.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    So had 8 lv 5 Enchantments. All the same Silvery Enchants.

To get to level 6 - 3 of my enchantments + the 1 to be Refined was 100% Progression. Then the 25k Regent. SO 4 to go to level 6 and the 25k. I do not know where only 3 is needed comes into it. 3 + the 1 to upgrade is still 4.

Next 4 same thing but this time I am like 250 Point's over (so 250 points towards rank 7).

So 1 set was 100% the next set was like 105% progression - what gives? I understand it must be a bug.

Had a look at lv 6-7 - wanted 2 25k reagents.

At lower levels this is no where near cheaper. If I wanted a lv 6 I would not mind the 25K so much, but to make multiples is ridiculous.

P.S. Realized while eating (yum yum) To go from Rank 5-6 is 25k. Need 4 level 6's still for rank 7. So 100k total from lv 5 -6. Then 50k for the actual refinement to lv 7. That's 150,000 AD to take 16 lv 5's to 1 lv 7.

ATM the worst is 10 wards at 40k - but of course you still need them or you can loose the Reagent.

so really 160,000 AD just to have a Rank 7 Refined - ridiculous.

All that happened was the AD that was suppose to be spent at taking out Enchantments from an Item for the corporate scheme of things has been transplanted to Refinement.

I am shocked - And, Yes I know the Reagents can be a drop.
    Cult of the Dragon Foundry Contest - Please participate and vote for your favourite - 26/6/2014 contest rating begins.

SlingShot Boom Jr. Jocan Traders. Little Lord Forgatty, Dwarf Mean and introducing Necro Torquemada (The Warlock)
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    dardove wrote: »
    I tested the large chest of goods and the barrel. The chest only drops white pearls (1 at a time) and the the barrel only dropped minor mark of potency (2 at a time). At the very least the large chest of goods (which is blue quality) should be dropping green refining stones and marks. The barrel should also include the white pearl as a drop. They also both need to have their description updated to include the fact that they drop refining stones now.

I want to re-emphasize that the green marks should have a chance to drop from these leadership containers. For most players, by the time they are consistently able to obtain these chests and barrels, they will not have any need of white marks (used for upgrading rank 1 and 2). You can get rank 3s from your leadership boxes, for which you need the green marks to do anything with them. Leadership boxes also regularly drop other goods of uncommon quality.

I appreciate that marks can be won playing Sword Coast Adventures, but I wouldn't like to see that as the only reliable way of obtaining them outside the Wondrous Bazaar when the WB ones were promoted as an option, not something players would be required to buy.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    edited November 2013
    @jintortle
    You're doing it wrong, and that's why the feeding stage seems so expensive to you.

You don't make all your enchantments into 6s and then make those into 7s. You make one 5 into a 6. You feed it your rank 1-4s. You use far fewer enchantments doing this than you would making a bunch of 5s into 6s into 7s with a risk of losing a piece with every fuse. Also, refinement can crit (uhhh... incidentally, is this affected by player crit stat?), which allows you to use even fewer stones for refining, and they don't have to match (although you get best results if they do). The highest upgrades do call for a matching enchantment to use as a reagent, so you make a second 5to6to7, but you don't need to refine it to use as a reagent.

Using rank 5s and higher for refinement, you get fewer points out of them than if you'd left them as lower ranks, so you want to save those for upgrading.

Yes, the reagent costs do seem high right now, and it remains to be seen how accessible those will be from other sources than the WB.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    ladysylvialadysylvia Member Posts: 946 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    @jintortle
    You're doing it wrong, and that's why the feeding stage seems so expensive to you.

You don't make all your enchantments into 6s and then make those into 7s. You make one 5 into a 6. You feed it your rank 1-4s. You use far fewer enchantments doing this than you would making a bunch of 5s into 6s into 7s with a risk of losing a piece with every fuse. Also, refinement can crit (uhhh... incidentally, is this affected by player crit stat?), which allows you to use even fewer stones for refining, and they don't have to match (although you get best results if they do). The highest upgrades do call for a matching enchantment to use as a reagent, so you make a second 5to6to7, but you don't need to refine it to use as a reagent.

Using rank 5s and higher for refinement, you get fewer points out of them than if you'd left them as lower ranks, so you want to save those for upgrading.

Yes, the reagent costs do seem high right now, and it remains to be seen how accessible those will be from other sources than the WB.

The critical success add 50% to the gained Rp. A 15 RP value get with crit 22. A 30 45 and so on. This answer lot of asks.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    @jintortle

Thanks for the comment. I had 8 Rank 5's though and no other enchantments on this character - as I have 1 of my toons do all my enchanting. This one is my money bags and he got 8 rank 5's on a cheap AH sale ending. Yes I understand the feeding lower ranked enchants. But what if you do not have them. Anyway having 8 lv 5's go to lv 6's is 200,000 AD - why bother!!

I thought though that if the enchantments were the same as the one to be upgraded, that it has a higher RF value, and was just testing it. Obviously not. 4 5's = 1 6 so no difference from today at all.

+ most drops are lv 4 and below so to make a lv 5 from lower enchants and then add them onto that for lv 6 is a lot of enchants and really petty <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. The only thing I would really be adding to a 5 that is lower is Training ones. The rest I would try and enchant only to the right type unless desperate for something.

Anyway what a waste of time and petty happening it would be to get a lv 2 and just adding it on to the rank 5 - jeez how many of them would you need.

Cheers though. My main concern though is the 160-200,000 AD to get a rank 7 .

• Options
    mewbombmewbomb Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Liking the new enchantment system overall. I was just wondering if you could bring back the %-chance of upgrading enchantments. I can see new players getting confused about why the upgrade didn't work because they don't know how likely the success is.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Does the new flashier interface no longer show your % chance of success? I haven't logged in to preview this week to check it out, but the interface I was using displayed that number very prominently.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    dodgododgo Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 870 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    uurbs wrote: »
    Ok, let me provide you with my calculations about Weapon and Armor Enchantments:

Weapon/Armor Enchantment comparison chart of refining (new) vs. fusing (old) -- total amount of items needed

System
    Refining
    Fusing
    Refining
    Fusing
    Refining
    Fusing
    Refining
    Fusing

To Rank
    Lesser
    Lesser
    Normal
    Normal
    Greater
    Greater
    Perfect
    Perfect

RP cost
    --
    --
    --
    --

Matching shards

Non-Matching shards

--
    --
    --
    --

Coalescent wards

Greater Mark of Potency
    --
    --
    --
    --

In order to create the Lesser version of the enchantments, you need 4 shards of the same type (matching)--hence the row "Matching shards".

For the refinement points (RP) you can either use any other shard (aka non-matching) or use matching shards. If you use matching shards, the amount would be half of what is listed in the row "Non-matching shards"--e. g. for a "Greater Feytouched Enchantment" you would need in total 56 "Shard of Feytouched Enchantment" (16 + 80/2 = 56). In regards to the amount of shards you need: if you keep on using the same type of shards, you will need less, only if you use other type of shards, you will need more.

I didn't include any values for the items, as it depends on how each individual values each item.

I don't recommend using Vorpal shards, because they are the most expensive: around 20,000 ADs for a shard, which would mean--if you use Vorpal shards for Vorpal enchantments--about 4.6 AD/RP. Most of the other shards are around 2,000 ADs/shard, which means 0.92 AD/RP. So using Vorpal shards to "level up" your Vorpal enchantment would mean "paying" 5 times the amount in ADs. Even if you do not consider the AD value of shards, it is a lot easier to e. g. get Terror shards as it is to get Vorpal shards.

does this mean i need 15 CWs to go from greater to perfect or to go from lesser to perfect you would have used 15 all up?
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Does the new flashier interface no longer show your % chance of success? I haven't logged in to preview this week to check it out, but the interface I was using displayed that number very prominently.

Bug: refinement interface doesn't show % chance of upgrade success
    Logged into to check for myself, and indeed while the interface has text showing "chance of success", no numbers are given.

I did notice that the item description of all the green marks I had, and the ones in the WB currently says they can drop from leadership boxes as well as skill nodes, and that the white marks say they can drop from skill nodes (which I don't think they did before). I didn't stick around to loot any nodes though.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    dodgododgo Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 870 Arc User
    edited November 2013
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I thought of this in the Shower.

At the moment a Rank 7, Silvery Enchantment can be bought on AH for 57,000 AD.

The cost to make a lv 7, even from lv 6's is 50 + 2 (Wards - probable) = 56,600 AD. where is the value in making them.

This is the answer. Only have reagents that cost money if the Enchantments/Rune stones are different from the ones being Ranked up.

So in effect you do not pay for a Catalyst to Rank Up - you pay to get the required RP to rank up only if they are different to the one you want to Rank up.

Leveling a rank 6-7 all silvery enchantment - no cost to get RP value and Rank up.

Using different enchantments/rune stones - $$ to get RP Value, no cost to Rank up.

I think this is fair and worth looking into.

Also if say you used 5 (Different) Rank 2's to go towards the RP value then a stone $$ accordingly should be used 50 AD etc.....

• Options
    edited November 2013
    dodgo wrote: »
    does this mean i need 15 CWs to go from greater to perfect or to go from lesser to perfect you would have used 15 all up?
    The amount of items needed are totals--meaing to go from "Shard" to the respective level. Therefore: you need a total of 15 Coalescent wards to go from shards to a Perfect enchantment.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Thanks for the comment. I had 8 Rank 5's though and no other enchantments on this character - as I have 1 of my toons do all my enchanting. This one is my money bags and he got 8 rank 5's on a cheap AH sale ending. Yes I understand the feeding lower ranked enchants. But what if you do not have them. Anyway having 8 lv 5's go to lv 6's is 200,000 AD - why bother!!

I thought though that if the enchantments were the same as the one to be upgraded, that it has a higher RF value, and was just testing it. Obviously not. 4 5's = 1 6 so no difference from today at all.

The same types are higher RP value. Higher is a relative word. If you use lvl 5's of a different type, it will take more than 4 lvl 5's to get the RP needed for a lvl 6. Thus the same types give you a larger/higher amount of RP.
    + most drops are lv 4 and below so to make a lv 5 from lower enchants and then add them onto that for lv 6 is a lot of enchants and really petty <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. The only thing I would really be adding to a 5 that is lower is Training ones. The rest I would try and enchant only to the right type unless desperate for something.

You're still not entirely getting how the system works. The RP value needed for a particular level is fixed, so if you rank up using just lvl 4's, assuming you're using the same types of stones, it will still take the same number of lvl 4's as before - you just don't have to take 16 lvl 4's to make 4 lvl 5's before making a lvl 6. You use 4 lvl 4's to make a lvl 5, then pour the other 12 lvl 4's into the lvl 5 to get to the lvl 6. It's still works out to the same number of lvl 4 stones, but it saves you three upgrade steps (and the required reagents + wards). Stones of different type are worth half the RP of the same type, so to rank up a lvl 5 using only different lvl 4 stones would be 24 lvl 4 stones (barring any critical successes along the way).
    Anyway what a waste of time and petty happening it would be to get a lv 2 and just adding it on to the rank 5 - jeez how many of them would you need.

Cheers though. My main concern though is the 160-200,000 AD to get a rank 7 .

I find it less wasteful than getting a lvl 2 and not being able to use it for anything other than an inventory space consumer. And you won't be getting just lvl 2s. You'll have some combinations of 2s, 3s, and 4s probably. Instead of eating up your inventory space, you'd feed them into whatever enchant you're currently trying to rank up.

This discussion has been closed.