What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

GCTRL's "Sentinel" Cleric Tank for PvP - 25% Deflect/1k Regen/2kDef

Comments

• Options
    gudgeonatorgudgeonator Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I don't think you can survive two cw's that know what they are doing without help. and you probably shouldn't be able too. even a single good & highly geared cw can be hell. Or a very nasty impact shot rogue. break the spirit can assist with reducing the damage of either - and if you've got a heal ticking before you get controlled you might catch a break and shield up or if you run it - sunburst interrupt. But locked down is locked down and if it happens gg.
  • Options
    hidahayabusahidahayabusa Member Posts: 634 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Thought as much. Hotenow is easy to hide/LoS them somewhere or even lure them to follow and get some help. But in an open area and their reach of 80', I find myself wasting slides to get out of their reach. Anyway, thanks for the response.
    * Notorious Dwarven Bear Cavalry Leader *
  • Options
    gctrlgctrl Member Posts: 459 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Thought as much. Hotenow is easy to hide/LoS them somewhere or even lure them to follow and get some help. But in an open area and their reach of 80', I find myself wasting slides to get out of their reach. Anyway, thanks for the response.

It really depends on the gear/enchants of the CW's and how lucky you get with cleansing. If you manage to survive long enough to get off Divine Armor you can extend your up time even further. And as soon as someone starts harassing one of them you should be fine. One thing that you should always do in that situation is make sure you're close enough to one of the CW's to land a sunburst, if you can hit both do it. Force them to move or get interrupted, when you dodge, dodge into them.

On a side note: Check out my new premade vs. premade videos guys!
    Guild: Lemonade Stand | Server: Dragon (Original) | PvP Forever | 1og0s
    * TWITCH * YOUTUBE * MY GUIDES *
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Thanks. It makes sense, and most of the times that's what I am trying to do. Also, if I am finding myself in a situation that we fight in middle, I may stack myself near some of my other teammates, since it seems that it screws their targeting.

On your side note: I did, and they are amazing. Keep up the good work.
  • Options
    omgwthroflmaoomgwthroflmao Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    is grand necromancer belt of undeath ok for this build too?
  • Options
    rayfwrayfw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    is grand necromancer belt of undeath ok for this build too?

your avatar omg /u_u\

anyway,
    how to check where are those recommended gears comes from?
    I googled for item wikipedia, but hardly find a useful one to use.

oh ya, I am a newbie who just started to play this game for few weeks.
    My DC now lvl 54, and following this build.
  • Options
    vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Any tips to survive two CWs that know what they are doing? I find that if they focus me I can't even cast a spell before running behind a pillar or wall and try to lure them to my team. In mount hotenow, it's much easier to pillarhug and LoS them but Ruins 2nd node is so open that it hurts.

I'll echo the others here and say that surviving two good CWs is not something you can expect to do for very long. Even a single good CW has the potential to take you down quickly depending on which encounters are being used.

Emphasis is on "good," though. As DC, I regularly kill average CWs and TRs in 1v1 or even 2v1 situations while running pure support/healing powers. One of the most important points, aside from those mentioned already, is to avoid the temptation to dodge needlessly. You can eat Rays of Frost and Magic Missiles all day, but even a weak CW's Ice Knife is usually best dodged just to avoid the prone. On the other hand, if you're getting hammered from multiple sides and can't really tell what's going on, then dodging for the hell of it may be necessary to buy yourself a few seconds to lay down your next AS or stack your next heal.

Also, landing Astral Seals on attackers with the Power of Oppression feat taken is basically giving yourself an additional 5% DR against them.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• Options
    edited October 2013
    That's my experience also. Of course I am refering to good geared people that know how to chain stun/cc and nuke. The others are likely to get theirselves killed just by spamming AS/Sacred Flame while I stand in circle. I just wish they could couple Sunburst or probably the 3rd hit of Sacred Flame/Lance with an anti-prone buff just to add a bit of control survivability.
  • Options
    mikeym80mikeym80 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Say you hit 25% deflect, now what are you stacking?
    HP/DEF?
    1z4y45e.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    mikeym80 wrote: »
    Say you hit 25% deflect, now what are you stacking?
    HP/DEF?

If you're comfortable with your HP and are sitting somewhere around 35% Damage resistance, continue to stack deflect. You can never have enough.
  • Options
    p357il3nc3p357il3nc3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    So if i were wanting to PvP with my guildies and still be CN, MC etc viable for healing, how does this look with recommended gear(light on regen) and/or using the High Prophet set or the new fabled set? Thanks again for all the help and the great guide! Been an amazing resource as i lvl my first main!
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    So Gctrl, how important are points in cleanse to the build do you think? I've neglected that aspect and am wondering whether problems i'm having with some cw's and tr's are due to not cleansing dots.
  • Options
    faiteaccompliifaiteaccomplii Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2
    edited October 2013
    To the person asking about 3/3 in cleanse, I noticed an increase in survival for myself and team since I spec'd it like that up from 1/3 before. For what it is worth in pvp that is my experience. I don't do Gctrl build exactly but I did copy his feats :)
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    So Gctrl, how important are points in cleanse to the build do you think? I've neglected that aspect and am wondering whether problems i'm having with some cw's and tr's are due to not cleansing dots.

Cleanse is paramount to your survivability as a DC and also super useful for your teammates. Basically you can cleanse many different things: anything from dots to debuffs to control abilities like Ray of Frost.

This is another reason why I get the last feat in the Righteous Tree, not just because the heal is pretty decent, but because it can proc a cleanse. Pretty nice right? You can cleanse a control ability on yourself without even having to do anything.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    p357il3nc3 wrote: »
    So if i were wanting to PvP with my guildies and still be CN, MC etc viable for healing, how does this look with recommended gear(light on regen) and/or using the High Prophet set or the new fabled set? Thanks again for all the help and the great guide! Been an amazing resource as i lvl my first main!

As long as you have competent players, there is really no wrong build in PvE for DC's. I will say however that many times you have to be much more alert than you might otherwise be with a build thats higher on crit/power.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    is necromancer belt of undeath ok for this build too?

image.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    It's an awesome belt. I use it. I think Gctrl's build used it in an earlier iteration. I'd suggest use it if you don't need the 144 regen provided by thickgristle's, but instead need the extra defense & deflect from the ANBU. I got over 1000 regen without thickgristle's by using a greater ring of repulsion and an icon of the dark forest. Still tossing up whether the lost hit points was worth the trade in comparison to running two ancient priest's rings of burning light, or one burning light and a greater ring of health. Have them banked so maybe I should pull my finger out and do some playtesting.

I'm also happy with the armor of the avatar I found as a chest piece. Deflecty as hell and goes nicely with the other miscellaneous crit stats from pieces and enchants to give me at least some offense/heal to add to all the defence capacity.

You can also find some gemmed blue pants that give you an extra defense slot for a lot less than the gemmed purple ones with only a tiny loss of stats if you're on a budget. Symbol of the prophet champion for a free main hand from doing Gauntlgrym - although it does have a fairly useless contribution of lifesteal (unless you find a magical way to stack a lot of that on other pieces - which I doubt).

Either way if you've got the main stats around where they need to be, it's all playing at the edges after that.
  • Options
    ataranesataranes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 61
    edited October 2013
    gctrl wrote: »
    As long as you have competent players, there is really no wrong build in PvE for DC's. I will say however that many times you have to be much more alert than you might otherwise be with a build thats higher on crit/power.

IMHO you can PVE any content with any Cleric build as long as your recovery is sufficient. Neverwinter isn't about HPS*, it's about being pro-active and not dying.

* Heals per second. People don't die in PVE because they are taking a stream of damage that you cannot keep up with. It's almost always burst that they could have avoided.
    Steelkat/Unfrozen Caveman - DCs
    Guild Leader of MOPP4
    MOPP 4′s community was created to cater to those who have served or currently serve in the armed forces around the world as well as friends, family & supporters of the armed forces. We also now proudly support the Wounded Warrior Project. For more details please go here.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Now that the build is really popular and I tend to see more and more playing it, do you notice any problem with people that understand that it will take much more to kill you, and instead focus on your other team-mates. Obviously I am talking about your premades.

Having tried your build with great success when I am focused, but having a hard time keeping people alive from 3 good geared attackers, I guess it's an obvious question...what if people realise that you are the tank and can't heal for that much and go ahead focusing on squishies? Can you keep them alive? Personally I had some trouble.

P.S: I am trying a Divine Emissary build, standing at 2,200 Def, 12% Deflect, 2000 Recovery, 31% Critical,3300 power, 31000 hp but 0 Regeneration and sometimes I feel that I miss the blues, but some other I feel that the burst healing from HoT ticks criting and the fact that I can spec into Restoration Mastery...(which is Ok), makes up for it. I can still tank 2 people focusing me, and depending on the classes even 3.

Will give it a go, and then change back to your gearset if it doesn't work out. Kudos!

Edit: Adding Character Sheet -->

http://gateway.playneverwinter.com/#char(Durik Healbeard@hidahayabusa)/charactersheet
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    can we see your char sheet with your gearscore, total def, deflect, regen and all?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Check previous post. Add Campfire, Emissary's static 4piece bonus and I have no idea why the HP look like that. The excact value with Campfire is 30,868.

Gear score is 11,2k
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    nice alternative
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Now that the build is really popular and I tend to see more and more playing it, do you notice any problem with people that understand that it will take much more to kill you, and instead focus on your other team-mates. Obviously I am talking about your premades.

Having tried your build with great success when I am focused, but having a hard time keeping people alive from 3 good geared attackers, I guess it's an obvious question...what if people realise that you are the tank and can't heal for that much and go ahead focusing on squishies? Can you keep them alive? Personally I had some trouble.

P.S: I am trying a Divine Emissary build, standing at 2,200 Def, 12% Deflect, 2000 Recovery, 31% Critical,3300 power, 31000 hp but 0 Regeneration and sometimes I feel that I miss the blues, but some other I feel that the burst healing from HoT ticks criting and the fact that I can spec into Restoration Mastery...(which is Ok), makes up for it. I can still tank 2 people focusing me, and depending on the classes even 3.

Will give it a go, and then change back to your gearset if it doesn't work out. Kudos!

Edit: Adding Character Sheet -->

http://gateway.playneverwinter.com/#char(Durik Healbeard@hidahayabusa)/charactersheet

Here's the problem, if you do not build yourself to be extremely tanky, you can get focused down easily. 12% deflect and No regen does not cut it against well geared players with Perfect Vorpals and R8-R10s. Don't really even think too much about your Defense because its almost negligible when you take into account Arp and how badly debuffed you can get. The same goes for having lots of HP, it means nothing without regen or powerful damage mitigating stats like deflect.

So yes, with your build you might be able to tank 2-3 people, but I guarantee you those people are not as well geared as you think they are.

If you are much squishier, your amazing heals will mean nothing, because you will get bursted down before you can even do anything. The player Blessings is a perfect example of this (and if you're reading this Blessings, I truly love you, no disrespect), her heals are some of the hardest hitting I've seen on any DC, but it means nothing because she can barely live through the burst of just one BIS slotted player like my good friend Lantis or Steroidz: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBiUwPJ6TaA

The best way to stay alive or keep someone else alive is by mitigating the damage they take, not healing them. If you can reduce the damage someone is taking, then you don't need to worry as much about how hard your heals are hitting for. Also remember that your teammates have ways of mitigating damage on themselves.

Rule of thumb: Going for better heals is the same as going more glass cannon, and imho, the middle ground between tanky and squishy is not worth it.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I can't disagree, since I have tried both builds. Obviously if I get tunnelvisioned focused having 25% deflect and 1000 regen seems to be a godsend. But, being a PuGer since I don't always have the option to run with other good geared mates, made me want to try something different than a tank.

Being around and meeting BIS gear people from the top guilds, during the times they decide to PuG also showed me that R10s+Perfects from any rogue or CW means that I am in for a pain-train ride but that was no different from when I was running your exact itemisation and build (with a bit lower Deflect from being a dwarf). Especially if that player recognized the build, and then disregarded me, turing to one shot that CW that was enjoying the fight from a distance.

Anyway, I think that PuGing and running with organised teams are two different worlds...and unfortunately I have only experienced the first one.

Thanks for the reply.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    gctrl wrote: »
    Cleanse is paramount to your survivability as a DC and also super useful for your teammates. Basically you can cleanse many different things: anything from dots to debuffs to control abilities like Ray of Frost.

This is another reason why I get the last feat in the Righteous Tree, not just because the heal is pretty decent, but because it can proc a cleanse. Pretty nice right? You can cleanse a control ability on yourself without even having to do anything.

Thanks for that (and faiteaccomplii too). Trying out this spec now, including sovereign justice, and I can say that I notice the difference, and the difference is good. I'm haven't noticed any substantial gimpage from the reduction in bountiful fortune or foresight.
  • Options
    p357il3nc3p357il3nc3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    RAD! First run in Karru and gots me Angelic Gaunts in my delve chest :P
  • Options
    chocobofarmerchocobofarmer Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    p357, the regeneration one?

edit: nm, darn I didn't know it dropped in karrundax. Bought one in AH as an investment thinking it no longer dropped XD.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    May I know where does eqs below drops?

1) Exemplar's Helmet of Youth (def/regen)
    2) Exemplar's Greaves of Youth (def/regen)
    3) Ring of Greater Repulsion (regen/deflect)

Hopefully someone can assist, and yes, this eqs are actually related to OP's build.

appreciate a reply, thanks in advance.

IGN:-
    elray (human DC (lvl 48) - stopped)
    Suria (hafling DC (lvl 60) - active)
  • Options
    rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    1 and 2 are just blue drops. You can get them dirt cheap on AH or as random drops while out questing/maybe winning pvp match.
    3 is a ring from Epic Dread Vault.
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    1 and 2 are just blue drops. You can get them dirt cheap on AH or as random drops while out questing/maybe winning pvp match.
    3 is a ring from Epic Dread Vault.

Yes Sir, I know about 1 and 2 in AH, I bought it from my hard-earned AD, but wondering which dungeon does it drop or its purely random.
    And 3, dropped from Epic DV bosses or chest?

Thanks again kind Sir!