What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

GCTRL's "Sentinel" Cleric Tank for PvP - 25% Deflect/1k Regen/2kDef

Comments

• Options
    rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Theyre purely random blue drops. Can get really anywhere lvl 60 blue gear drops.

The ring I think the 2nd boss in epic DV. Idk about the chest.

Nps btw, you might want confirmation on the ring. Pretty sure its 2nd boss though.
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
  • Options
    gctrlgctrl Member Posts: 459 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Thanks for that (and faiteaccomplii too). Trying out this spec now, including sovereign justice, and I can say that I notice the difference, and the difference is good. I'm haven't noticed any substantial gimpage from the reduction in bountiful fortune or foresight.

Yeah the defense reduction is negligible.
    Guild: Lemonade Stand | Server: Dragon (Original) | PvP Forever | 1og0s
    * TWITCH * YOUTUBE * MY GUIDES *
  • Options
    danfixdanfix Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Theyre purely random blue drops. Can get really anywhere lvl 60 blue gear drops.

The ring I think the 2nd boss in epic DV. Idk about the chest.

Nps btw, you might want confirmation on the ring. Pretty sure its 2nd boss though.

Error, the first boss
  • Options
    scarletsapphirescarletsapphire Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    so question would this work say if you rolled a high elf ...would you still put all points in con and dex?
  • Options
    lazureelazuree Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    so question would this work say if you rolled a high elf ...would you still put all points in con and dex?

that's when you lvl a new dc! (just kidding.. not necessary unless you are exclusivel a pvp dc)
    gctrl's build is the full min/maxed version for competitive play, but all you really need for casual pvp is the ability to survive.
    To build up survivability, you can just stack hp and some deflect with accessories and stick with the reg blue gear.
    I used greater rings of health and cloak of the volcano, and either thickgristle's belt or ancient necromancer's. Overall, I had about 30k hp and 15% deflect with the deflection boon.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Two new Premade VODs on YouTube. One game vs EoA and another vs Enemy Team, check em out!

(Links added to guide.)
  • Options
    hidahayabusahidahayabusa Member Posts: 634 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    gctrl wrote: »
    Two new Premade VODs on YouTube. One game vs EoA and another vs Enemy Team, check em out!

(Links added to guide.)

Those were good fights. I do notice a tremendous drop on your survivability when a CW joins the mix. Obviously Sentinel regen GWFs can't really bother you, but they do keep you busy. I imagine that things would be worse if those CWs didn't slot Repel and went for Ray of Enfeeblement instead.

Any thoughts on surviving CW? It seems to be my most weak point at the moment.
    * Notorious Dwarven Bear Cavalry Leader *
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Those were good fights. I do notice a tremendous drop on your survivability when a CW joins the mix. Obviously Sentinel regen GWFs can't really bother you, but they do keep you busy. I imagine that things would be worse if those CWs didn't slot Repel and went for Ray of Enfeeblement instead.

Any thoughts on surviving CW? It seems to be my most weak point at the moment.

A CW + anyone else attacking you is pretty much game over. In fact two of anything attacking you in BIS gear should be able to take you down eventually (excluding other Clerics of course). If you can afford it though I would recommend having a second pair of armor with Soulforge, so if you know your opponent doesn't have Tene's you can switch that out for Barkshield/Negation. There are countless situations where if you have Soulforge instead of Barkshield/Negation, you'll survive for way longer.

What you should really be striving for as a Cleric is getting to a point where you can survive long enough to reach your daily (from zero AP to full.) If you can last against your opponent long enough to build up max AP you're good to go.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    This is my conclusion also. I loved Barskhield, but couldn't turn Soulforge down. Unfortunately now that Tenes are getting a hit, Soulforge is also changing. My only defense against a CW, is trying to LOS him behind walls. In Rivenscar it's difficult since it can't be done anywhere else than node 2, and then it means that you are losing control of 2.

If I am able to drop an AS just behind the pillar then I get a breathing space of 5-10 seconds. Bottomline is that CWs are bad news, so our team needs to babysit us on this. If they keep them busy, they will teleport rather than unleashing a PvE rotation on us, which is good.

Just pointing out that it's obviously much much easier to survive against BiS melees rather than surviving against a BiS CW. Our dodge buys more time. I so much hope for a ranged stun...or better team communication in...PuGs :)

Thanks for the videos.
  • Options
    edited December 2013

With the new paragon path, not necessarily.
  • Options
    ea1109ea1109 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Waiting for an update for shadowmantle. With love :)
  • Options
    scozzersscozzers Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 180 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    ea1109 wrote: »
    Waiting for an update for shadowmantle. With love :)

Yea, likewise.
    Haven't had more than an evenings worth of exp with the new path but so far I'm not exactly blown away. Particularly with the new at will (good luck getting a dismount with that, especially if the target is sporting bark). Aside from the one passive (which I don't think is as good as Foresight if you're already good for deflect - unless you're gonna go for 33% +) it just seems like this path was designed with solo/foundry in mind with more mobile versions of stuff we already have and some circumstantial increased damage. Maybe I'm just stuck in my old playstyle but however good Exaltation may or may not be, I just don't see how to fit it on to my bar. Need to adjust and have a good old mess around with it I guess but so far for group play it's not hitting the mark for me, so maybe you can share your experiences so far with it.

Edit. Gear wise, I'm considering the GG set. It seems like it might help make the most of this new path with artifacts thrown in to the mix covering regen/def/deflect.
  • Options
    vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    New path isn't flashy, but the bonuses synergize beautifully. It lacks the "set-it-and-forget-it" ease of play of the old Path, but it does reward skillful play. It actually kind of requires it, because players who don't utilize the powers appropriately don't receive enough benefit from Anointed Champion to make it worth using.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• Options
    edited December 2013
    vorphied wrote: »
    New path isn't flashy, but the bonuses synergize beautifully. It lacks the "set-it-and-forget-it" ease of play of the old Path, but it does reward skillful play. It actually kind of requires it, because players who don't utilize the powers appropriately don't receive enough benefit from Anointed Champion to make it worth using.

Didn't see any 'set-it-and-forget-it' approach from the old path, neither did I see an ease of play. On the contrary, it was quite skill-intensive and the DCs who could pull it off were few.

On topic, I tried both, I feel much comfortable in DO. Probably it's that I am used to it, or that AC wasn't really working for me, or both.
  • Options
    scarletsapphirescarletsapphire Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    so if your an elf how would you distribute the ability points for this build if your anointed path
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Didn't see any 'set-it-and-forget-it' approach from the old path, neither did I see an ease of play. On the contrary, it was quite skill-intensive and the DCs who could pull it off were few.

On topic, I tried both, I feel much comfortable in DO. Probably it's that I am used to it, or that AC wasn't really working for me, or both.

Foresight = Set-it-and-forget-it in that it procs a powerful buff for allies without requiring a lot of special effort. If you can manage to cast Sunburst near allies and toss Astral Seals on targets, as even bad clerics usually can, you got this covered.

It's not that the old path is so skill-intensive; it's that there are a lot of extremely casual players who aren't interested in learning the game's meta or how to play a DC effectively since it varies significantly from the traditional whack-a-mole healing model.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• Options
    jazzfongjazzfong Member Posts: 1,079 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    @scarlet, I'm a high elf with 20/20/20, less hp and less deflect but more action point gain and more frequent Anointed Army cast. It doesn't matter for us low tier or mid tier cleric to have some 2k-3k+ hp and 8% deflect to survive in pvp, we ALWAYS die (ever heard of pug stomp? It makes things worse.) Unless u got a team of skilled player, well-geared and use the correct skill at different situation, u WILL survive for a couple of minutes on mid node. I still recommend to take halfling if u want to min-max ur ability in pvp. The new pvp artifacts+soulforged+2 new class features makes u die less frequently and u can cap/def the node very easily, unless u met 2 cw sniping from top or 2 high end TRs.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    It's not that the old path is so skill-intensive; it's that there are a lot of extremely casual players who aren't interested in learning the game's meta or how to play a DC effectively since it varies significantly from the traditional whack-a-mole healing model.

Probably, but if people don't bother to learn it, it's usually because they can't. Pretty much why the world is filled with Regen GWFs running around Roaring.
  • Options
    vitaelvvvitaelvv Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    CTRL, and what about the Artifacts? Which are the most effective for your build?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    vitaelvv wrote: »
    CTRL, and what about the Artifacts? Which are the most effective for your build?

I haven't seen gctrl on in a bit, but based on stats I think Waters, Bloodcrystal, and Aurora are the best, the shard would also be nice for the immunity/control resist
    Bloodcrystal is especially nice when you spec into deepstone blessing and cast a divine healing word on yourself
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    lazuree wrote: »
    I haven't seen gctrl on in a bit, but based on stats I think Waters, Bloodcrystal, and Aurora are the best, the shard would also be nice for the immunity/control resist
    Bloodcrystal is especially nice when you spec into deepstone blessing and cast a divine healing word on yourself

I went with Waters, Bloodcrystal, and Catalog myself for now. The first two are pretty obvious choices, and the Catalog providing Deflection is very nice, with movement speed as a definite bonus since it's very difficult to stack otherwise.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• Options
    scozzersscozzers Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 180 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    I went with Waters, Bloodcrystal, and Catalog myself for now. The first two are pretty obvious choices, and the Catalog providing Deflection is very nice, with movement speed as a definite bonus since it's very difficult to stack otherwise.

Yea, those are the ones to go for. They have everything you need - more def/deflect, recovery and a nice chunk of regen which can possible give you a few more gear options (switch out "of youth" for "of respite" for instance). This kind of gear set up works just as well with the new path (which I'm really liking now - it's proper wizardy :cool:)
  • Options
    tcarncetcarnce Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 976 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    need to know these things too, not smart enough myself to know what caps are ;p
    don`t want to get more deflect while it`s already like 27% and upgrade the whole artifacts for nothing :D
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I could be wrong but I think that feat doesn't factor into soft caps. I have 25.6% deflect, than I add on one silvery 8 and it goes up by a full 1%, which is pretty standard starting at 19%. I only have 1800 deflect, so as far as I can see, the soft cap hasn't been hit yet. GCTRL said it was around 2.1k or something, it's been awhile since we talked >.< (come back gctrl!)
  • Options
    ottoarcottoarc Member Posts: 265 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    is this build still available ??? GCTRL's *Lashing Light* and ~Lashing DOTs~ Burst Cleric V2 (PvP)
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    i think gctrl once said it'd always be viable in that other thread, it's just so specialized that it would not work in legitimate premades vs premades and hammer got quite the nerf:(
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    ottoarc wrote: »
    is this build still available ??? GCTRL's *Lashing Light* and ~Lashing DOTs~ Burst Cleric V2 (PvP)

As lazuree said, GCTRL was pretty open about his own assessment of the build, and I would agree. DPS cleric makes for very amusing trolling, but it will get you eaten alive by CWs and pretty much anyone else when focused.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• Options
    edited December 2013
    only good cw's:p
    if you kite around a pillar you can live for awhile!
    kozah's pvp dc is a good dc of this. stomped all over my scrub tr:(
    skill>class
  • Options
    raist718raist718 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    What is more widely used for PvP focused tanking DC that is either DO or AC for feats? 533,303,000,300 like this guide or 033,303,030,302 as many I see run. Is anyone running anything different in PvP and getting noticeable results? Anyone rocking 1 point in cleanse and still having it work almost everytime?
    Wake | Halfling | DC/DO
    Raist Torilrocker | Dwarf | DC/AC

Waterdeep Dungeon & Salvage LLC
    Twitch
  • Options
    jenisydejenisyde Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    raist718 wrote: »
    What is more widely used for PvP focused tanking DC that is either DO or AC for feats? 533,303,000,300 like this guide or 033,303,030,302 as many I see run. Is anyone running anything different in PvP and getting noticeable results? Anyone rocking 1 point in cleanse and still having it work almost everytime?

I rock 1 point in cleanse and don't notice a big difference from 2pts or 3pts.
    Jaylo
    Halfling - Devoted Cleric - Divine Oracle
    Neverwinter Tribunal
    <Genocidal Tendencies>
    www.genotendencies.enjin.com