What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

GCTRL's "Sentinel" Cleric Tank for PvP - 25% Deflect/1k Regen/2kDef

Comments

• Options
    gctrlgctrl Member Posts: 459 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    i am using such build on a new toon. from 10 to 48 quite fast and safe :) i can take on 2v1 easily as long i dont get perma locked....i can jump into 5 enemy, run in circles pop some stuff and survive easily... only weakness is wizards since i can not kite them and they still do hell of damage. but i also suggest my fellow team mate to kill wizard first, which will lead in a sure victory and quick match. :)

if you want to make some easy score, just pop divine and burn anybody under 20% life :) killshot is easy with this :)

This is how i play it... kite enemies, annoy wizard as much as possible, support my party and finish off runners (i love to finish cocky GWFs hahahaha so hilarous they keep QQ and moaning and calling me $$$ player while this toon earn me more crystal then i can spend lol!)

May i suggest the new elven battle enchant in armor slot?

Also the fairy enchant may be good too, debuff enemy damage sound really interesting in survival ^_^

Glad you're enjoying it, there will be several changes I'm making to the build, some feat adjustments, enchant changes and possible gear changes.
    Guild: Lemonade Stand | Server: Dragon (Original) | PvP Forever | 1og0s
    * TWITCH * YOUTUBE * MY GUIDES *
  • Options
    gudgeonatorgudgeonator Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    you will find angelic gauntlet as lv55 items at the Pegasus seal vendor.

About armor, its probably here too but not so sure... T2 is way better in main slot and 12AC... 2AC is a very huge difference!!

Dang I thought I looked at vendors for the angelic gauntlets & thought they were a much lower level? Must have done a boy look. Anyway - got them on the AH after a while. Also got the armor of the avatar for 1.5k AD. Have not yet done the math. I'm sure the relevant info is available, although the end results would depend a lot on scenario setup (am I proned so deflect is useless, am I debuffed so my DR reduced, are the opponents stacking armpen up the wazzoo etc?). But compared to the piece I had (AC 11 blue) I lost .5% DR, and some stats I wasn't prioritizing (power, recovery) for a heap more deflect & crit and an armor enhancement slot. Worked for me.

Comparing a T2 AC 12 piece (+1 % DR, no deflect, +power, +recovery, comparable def & crit) to the avatar armour? Moot at this point as I do not have a T2 piece, and I will not be paying 170k or more for the cheaper +12 AC T2 set piece any time soon. If one drops however - will take a closer look at how much I really need that 547 deflect and whether I could reconfigure other pieces to boost other stats while staying about where I am with mitigation.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    am I proned so deflect is useless

You can deflect attacks while you're proned.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    gctrl wrote: »
    You can deflect attacks while you're proned.

I would like that to be the case very much. I was basing my fairly new assumption on another thread -

astronax wrote: »
    First of all: Great guide, dude! Keep it up!
    Now to your question:

1) Any % damage resistance, as well as the one, providied by defense, count as usual. Deflect = 0, when u are stunned, prone, frozen (not sure about dazed, though). On top of that, your deflect also = 0, when u attacked by a foe, who's having combat advantage against you (read: 90% of CWs and TRs).
    Thus, this is a mistake:

Edit: well, not like a mistake, ofc, more like a misbelief - deflect is still cool on TR, since u guys naturally having high DEX, but still, deflect is relatively easy to avoid.

If that's wrong I'll be very happy. I guess a cruise through damage logs should sort it out.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    If that's wrong I'll be very happy. I guess a cruise through damage logs should sort it out.

Yeah, it's wrong. Not sure what that guy is smoking :P

Frozen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Nx6p4GC1uU
    Proned: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSfWNNw4pdI
  • Options
    ffmarthffmarth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    u use healing step now? o.o
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    ffmarth wrote: »
    u use healing step now? o.o

Always have.
  • Options
    jaradofwindcrestjaradofwindcrest Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Not according to the Feats pic on the first page.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Not according to the Feats pic on the first page.

yeah I'm gonna update the first page soon, I changed it a while ago.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Build updated. Lots of changes.
  • Options
    supahpenguinosupahpenguino Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Can you please explain the reason you changed your feats and why barkshield is a good choice as an armor enchantment? If you're getting beat up and the first three hits are normal attacks, wouldn't the barkshield be pointless?

Also, I have been unable to find the specific headgear and boots. Where were you able to obtain them?

Thanks
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Can you please explain the reason you changed your feats and why barkshield is a good choice as an armor enchantment? If you're getting beat up and the first three hits are normal attacks, wouldn't the barkshield be pointless?

Also, I have been unable to find the specific headgear and boots. Where were you able to obtain them?

Thanks

Barkshield is overall better than Negation, Negation only helps you every 50 seconds, where as you gain a Bark charge every 8 seconds no matter what. That means 810 damage blocked every 8 seconds, and you also can block Tenebrous damage. Coupled with deflect and it makes the charges even more efficient.

Not sure where the Head or Boots come from, got them off AH.
  • Options
    danfixdanfix Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Hi gctrl,

Congrats, very well supply your build.

A question, could be an alternative replace Exemplar's Greaves of Youth for Boots of Sovereignty?

Thanks
  • Options
    mittensofdoommittensofdoom Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 247 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    hm.. i have exactly the same build with one exception in redcap icon instead of nightmare lol
  • Options
    layback16layback16 Member Posts: 31
    edited October 2013
    gctrl,

how recovery u have?

nice guide and very ty !
    Teahupoo, GF TANK PVP (Stoped in time) :mad:

Teahup00, HR PVE :o
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    danfix wrote: »
    Hi gctrl,

Congrats, very well supply your build.

A question, could be an alternative replace Exemplar's Greaves of Youth for Boots of Sovereignty?

Thanks

If you feel like your Defense and Recovery are high enough, go ahead. If not, understand that Youth's are the tankiest option available(which is what this build is firstly about, being a tank).
    layback16 wrote: »
    gctrl,

how recovery u have?

nice guide and very ty !

• Options
    timokyyrotimokyyro Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Thank you for making this wonderful build and guide. This is the most fun build I have tried in PvP and PvE.

Few questions for you. I'm now lvl 55 and thinking of respecing to your new V3 stats. I have mostly been using Divine Glow, Daunting Light and Astral Shield for PvE. Do you have any suggestions what power combination would be good in PvE with your V3 specs? I would like to do Feywild quests and some dungeon runs with the new V3. Should I just use another build for dungeon?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I'm using pretty much Gctrl's awesome sentinel cleric build, and have not found a better combo for Sharandar questing than chains of blazing light, divine glow & daunting light. BOTS and sacred flame (or astral seal if i'm too lazy to swap it out after dungeons/pvp) for at-wills. Foresight & Terrifying Insight for passives. Flamestrike and something else you won't ever need for a daily. Swapping chains for sunburst might work if you find your health is slipping a bit too much.

I have not found any solo pve context where I have needed to slot a heal or use a potion since I decided to give his halfling damage sponge approach a try. First phase Gauntlgrym pve is the only place where you might either need to slot a heal, pot, or dodge wisely on a regular basis (mostly due to demolitionists & mounted duergar).

Dungeon wise I've used the build for everything below Castle Never & Malabog. Seems fine. I do have a stone that rounds out my very neglected stats like recovery & crit for this purpose though. Reliable healing word, astral shield & sunburst combo does the trick, with divine armor as a daily and astral sealing everything I can see.

BTW Gctrl - thanks so much for detailing and maintaining this build. Without your laterally thinking up a lowish cost DC that's fun to play in pvp my only continued use for DC would have been as a leadership drone. Kudos to you!
  • Options
    timokyyrotimokyyro Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    What if I change the V3 Powers like this:
    V3 changes
    This way I could have Divine Glow and Daunting Light for PvE. I have never used Prophetic Action and I don't know if Hammer of Faith is needed as we already have Guardian of Faith and Flame Strike. Also I don't know if Sooth is needed because I would always use Foresight with Divine Fortune in PvP and Terrifying Insight in PvE. Your thoughts gctrl and gudgeonator?

It would be nice to see some youtube action with Divine Armor and Guardian of Faith slotted.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    timokyyro wrote: »
    V3 changes
    This way I could have Divine Glow and Daunting Light for PvE. I have never used Prophetic Action and I don't know if Hammer of Faith is needed as we already have Guardian of Faith and Flame Strike. Also I don't know if Sooth is needed because I would always use Foresight with Divine Fortune in PvP and Terrifying Insight in PvE. Your thoughts gctrl and gudgeonator?

Honestly, as long as you have the essentials for PvP, its up to you what to choose for encounters in PvE.
    It would be nice to see some youtube action with Divine Armor and Guardian of Faith slotted.

Unfortunately, I'm in another country right now and don't have the proper internet to stream, until I get back or change my ISP here I wont be streaming. I might do some frapsing though and upload more stuff to youtube in the mean time, we'll see.

If you want to see anything recent, this is the closest thing I have. Did some pre vs pre games against a bunch of guilds, it's from the perspective of our CW, Lantis: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?496641-PTR-premades-VODS-available-conclusion
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    BTW Gctrl - thanks so much for detailing and maintaining this build. Without your laterally thinking up a lowish cost DC that's fun to play in pvp my only continued use for DC would have been as a leadership drone. Kudos to you!

Thanks, glad you're enjoying it.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    V3 changes

I've put points in all the powers that I do use or think I might want to use - and still have five points left unallocated. I have never put a point into soothe across two DCs and several respecs. Even with a squishy DC I felt I did not need it. I don't have a point in Hammer of fate since the nerf. Flamestrike and divine armor are the only 2 dailies I ever use - but some of that is likely to be laziness.

There is nothing better than daunting light and divine glow for solo pve - unless you are fighting tough mobs solo that are causing you problems due to your defensive stats not being quite up to the level proposed for this build. Then you might want to run a damaging heal encounter like forgemasters flame, or just swap chains for sunburst. But if you are being hurt too much without heals - then I think you need to look at getting the base defensive aspects up high enough for the build to work before you play around with encounter power optimizations.

My build is different from Gctrl's in terms of heroic feats, and some of the paragon feats. I think Gctrl's is substantially more survivable in pvp (he's up against freakishly geared premades way more than I am). Mine fits my playstyle of being a pug hate magnet and trying to survive focussing to a reasonable extent without help while mitigating & spot healing, and then trying to burn down single targets - primarily TRs and CWs, sometimes a GF & almost never a sentinel GWF or non-squishy DC (so pointless).

That's why i usually slot break the spirit. Break the spirit - BOTS - astral seal - then if I have sufficient divinity and don't think i'll need it for a divine astral shield or divine healing word, go to punishing light. That gives me two dots, four debuffs either reducing the damage they produce (break the spirit, feated astral seal) or increasing the damage they take (bronzewood, terrifying insight) and a stream of punishing light damage to pile on which is a significant amount of pain. Might even be a flamestrike for them to eat at some point. Heal as required then repeat until one of you is dead or a pile on occurs. Terriyfing Insight gets swapped out for healer's lore in dungeons, break the spirit for sunburst - that's my only change from pvp to dungeon runs.

Anyway - play around with it a bit - seems like there's more than one specific way to have a ton of fun with the "sentinel" DC build. Given the videos I've watched of Gctrl - i'd suggest you value his advice more than mine though :)
  • Options
    pippipoppippipop Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This build for PVP is AMAZING! Thank you GCTRL for sharing with the community:)

My main is a human DC and I used to run with a regen build, which was ok but I was more or less still dependent on others to survive long enough to hold a node (post-nerfs). With your guide I managed to get my deflect to 20% with rank 7's, 900 regen and 36% defense and it works wonders. For feats I added linked spirit and skipped sovereign justice + I am stacking crit instead of recovery in offense slots. Now I can actually tank players 1v1 and on the odd occasion 1v3 - though a single well-geared and well-played CW is still a struggle (or massive tene stackers). At the moment I've got soulforged and holy avenger slotted but I will definitely try out barkshield in the near future - an enchant that absorbs tene dmg? Yes, please!
  • Options
    wolfboy13579wolfboy13579 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    how is this build for PvE? trying to find something that will breeze through pve without having to respec at 60(no money to spend and same for AD). i like how it looks and do plan on doing GG and might start diving into pvp sooner or later.

this seems to be the only up to date guide out there.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    how is this build for PvE? trying to find something that will breeze through pve without having to respec at 60(no money to spend and same for AD). i like how it looks and do plan on doing GG and might start diving into pvp sooner or later.

this seems to be the only up to date guide out there.

This build is totally designed around PvP, but it does work in PvE. You wont be doing amazing damage, but you can tank as easily as any GWF or GF.
  • Options
    wolfboy13579wolfboy13579 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    my goal is to stay alive and heal, dont give to flip about dps. thanks for answering my question. :)
  • Options
    vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    my goal is to stay alive and heal, dont give to flip about dps. thanks for answering my question. :)

Your heals will be weaker, especially without higher crit and a Vorpal, but a good group shouldn't need you to heal them from near death every 10 seconds. If they do their job of actively avoiding the worst red zones and you throw down Astral Shields as appropriate, I doubt you will notice a huge difference.

Just try to run with good guildies and avoid bad PUGs, because healing stupid is difficult under optimal circumstances, and this build is truthfully advertised as maximum tankiness with light healing and mitigation :)
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• Options
    josiahiyonjosiahiyon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 396 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Fun build.

Curious though: Why not go with 2 Ancient Burning Lights and 1 Thickgristle belt?

Impact:

-44 region
    +75 health
    +69 defense
    +69 deflection

Is 44 regen really worth that much?
    Pvpbysynergy.png
    Iyon the Dark
  • Options
    mikeym80mikeym80 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Are the Angelic Gauntlets a seal purchase or a drop item? I can't seem to find them anywhere.

Also the pegasus seal vendor does not give the right Angelics. The ones everyone needs are the level 58 item with regen on them.
    1z4y45e.jpg
  • Options
    xmeanseason305xxmeanseason305x Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 109 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Hey gctrl... Quick question... Had 2 guildies tell me that you were somehow able to not be proned at all whatsoever mutliple times... I told them that's pretty imposible... Am i missing something... Only thing i could think is a) perfect bark is somehow negating an attack altogether, not just the bears... Or
    B) you are somehow able to spam hammer of fate.. I've checked out you vids and havent really seen it in action myself... But just bringing it to your attention that the rumor is you are somehow anti prone...
    If this is true help a fellow dc out with some insight... We have similar builds except i have 5 points in linked to help out when i pve... And to make up for lost deflection due to bad race choice... Anyways... Cheers homie.