test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

nw aplha

Comments

• Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    Hey check this out and give a big thanks to Pinpointerror!
  • Options
    necalannecalan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    That thread BLEW UP quick!!
  • Options
    tharkantharkan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I know everyone here is wanting to try the game, but remember, it isn't even in beta yet. For everyone who gets a key, try to be professional and spend more time seeking out bugs, errors, etc. than anything else.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    Wrong thread blanchardtech, you would be far better off posting that over here.
  • Options
    mettiidoremettiidore Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    If it is supposedly the "Alpha" on January, how exactly do they propose an "early 2013 release" it must mean beta.

edit: holy <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> op is right, they want to release the game early this year and they're just doing alpha now... I've lost all hope for this game.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Hi all, longtime lurker first time poster. [snip]

Let's face it, even though it's a beta, almost everyone will judge the game as a finished product when they jump in.

I'm not surprised most companies use beta as marketing instead of testing, because players view it that way already. It's just our nature as gamers with strong opinions and strong passion for what we like and dislike. I admit to doing it myself.. so smaller, more focused testing groups and dates just make more sense to me if the goal is improvement of the game based on feedback.
    Where's all the leaked videos then? Honest people these days, I tell ya :p

Nail on the head. Even if it's spelled out implicitly not to review it or talk publicly about it under NDA. Thus, people are lightly selected. Even those, some don't pay attention to the NDA and queue the cleaup crew. Others who blatantly don't care...

gillrmn wrote: »
    Actually there have been and reported to cryptic. They have been taken down also as cryptic takes this stuff seriously. If you see one, remember to report to one of the mods so they can forward it and ask for it to be removed.

Yes, there are a lot of hunters of this stuff out there who supply Cryptic/PWE with this info, and the company shuts em down fast. Would YOU want to host an IP infringement at best? Even if not profiteer pirates, see previous reply above plus "Why did X get in when I Y didn't?" Scanerios. Reasons we NEVER accept "Hey posting to say I'm in the Alpha and wanted to share it with all my public buddies on my [insert social media site!]
    mettiidore wrote: »
    If it is supposedly the "Alpha" on January, how exactly do they propose an "early 2013 release" it must mean beta.

edit: holy <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> op is right, they want to release the game early this year and they're just doing alpha now... I've lost all hope for this game.

Spoken like a person who hasn't seen what was done, respectfully. NDA blocks me from details, but it's coming along very nicely indeed! Not releasing next week or "going gold", but nicely still.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mettiidoremettiidore Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Spoken like a person who hasn't seen what was done, respectfully. NDA blocks me from details, but it's coming along very nicely indeed! Not releasing next week or "going gold", but nicely still.

well duh, Alpha's only in 2 days of course I haven't. Be that as it may, alpha is still alpha. Everything made all the more doubtful looking at the fact that we have cryptic developing and PWE publishing it (especially PWE publishing it).
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    mettiidore wrote: »
    well duh, Alpha's only in 2 days of course I haven't. Be that as it may, alpha is still alpha. Everything made all the more doubtful looking at the fact that we have cryptic developing and PWE publishing it (especially PWE publishing it).

Alpha's been going on quite longer than "in 2 days" NDA disallows me to say more than that but it's been ongoing...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Alpha's been going on quite longer than "in 2 days" NDA disallows me to say more than that but it's been ongoing...

Oh! I see. Then that means it can even be going on since july, august or october last year and we didn't know about it?

Bravo! For keeping NDA a secret uptil now. All mods and devs get a standing ovation from me to keep it under warps if true.

EDIT: But for the french, we would have never known. They failed their stealth check.
  • Options
    ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    I think releasing alpha to the public is a bad idea, and could potentially have the same effect FFXIV did on its launch. Square Enix might have said it was done, but it truly was still in the alpha process and left a bad taste in peoples' mouths.

Cryptic can SAY it's still in alpha, but what are people going to actually be doing: helping find bugs and polish the product, or play the game like it's a newly released title? I guarantee that people don't realize everything gets reset back to zero at least once during the pre-launch phases, and there will be more complaining at that time and claims to leave the game completely (and actually follow through with it).

I have all the faith in the world that there ARE dedicated players out there willing to help Cryptic during their testing, but it's a big risk with losing players who got in just to say that they were and that the game (obviously) wasn't ready to play yet. Like the Ouya consoles that came out for the potential developers, too. So many "gamers" just bought one just to say they have it, and then started badmouthing it because they don't know what to do with a dev kit and there's no games on it.

I really hope an alpha key giveaway doesn't backfire, that's all really.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I think releasing alpha to the public is a bad idea, and could potentially have the same effect FFXIV did on its launch. Square Enix might have said it was done, but it truly was still in the alpha process and left a bad taste in peoples' mouths. ....

Seems like probably it is in last stages if they are giving a lot of keys - it can only mean some kind of stress test on the coding (not servers, stress test on servers are for beta)
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Oh! I see. Then that means it can even be going on since july, august or october last year and we didn't know about it?

Bravo! For keeping NDA a secret uptil now. All mods and devs get a standing ovation from me to keep it under warps if true.

EDIT: But for the french, we would have never known. They failed their stealth check.

History vindicates, when the French fail, everyone else wins somehow. (take it as a compliment ^^)
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    1115 posts for alpha key with 15 double posts.

That makes 1100contenders-1(CMpin)=1009 people.

Oh! I never realized forums were so popular!

EDIT:
    Now 1120 with 16 double posts
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    ...aaaaaand they're gone.

I doubt you'll ever hear from 90% of the posters again.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    For what, two keys. Assume two more for France/Germany each...so hopefully 6 people won't upset the testing process with the before mentioned concerns. For me, I'm more concerned when a larger base is exposed in the CB level, see comments on other threads not getting testing with marketing/free preview including what NDA means.

But the company's done this before, so they know all the stages in this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    ... Assume two more for France/Germany...

Not that it matters, but 5 for France. 2 for friday, 3 for yesterday.

The answer for yesterday question is Dwarves, btw.

And it is open to all, everybody can participate.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Not that it matters, but 5 for France. 2 for friday, 3 for yesterday.

The answer for yesterday question is Dwarves, btw.

And it is open to all, everybody can participate.

Whoops, what he said!

But still small enough to manage. NDA means I can't compare numbers here, sorry!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mrbuttflakesmrbuttflakes Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    It's ridiculous how many moochers came for a key. Call it marketing, I don't care what you call it, this contest should have been exclusive to our forum members that care about the game, not Joe Schmo who just wants to play or sell the key.

I still need my coffee yet so a bit irritable.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    At least we have more people viewing the forums on a brighter note. Hope it stays like that, but we'll see.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    At least we have more people viewing the forums on a brighter note. Hope it stays like that, but we'll see.

You wish... :p

I mean try to use wish spell - won't work.
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    It's ridiculous how many moochers came for a key. Call it marketing, I don't care what you call it, this contest should have been exclusive to our forum members that care about the game, not Joe Schmo who just wants to play or sell the key.

I call it bad marketing while giving those people that have been here from the start the finger.

It's a bit more honest.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    another 3 key giveaway on german FB. go get em gang!
  • Options
    alsarothalsaroth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013

You tell them, mrbuttflakes! Shall we capture their souls and make their spirits watch as we force their corpses to eat each other?
    "A rare display of intelligence, undoubtedly fleeting." - Edwin Odesseiron
  • Options
    galvayragalvayra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Well from their perspective is sorta good marketing, the people that care will play the game and talk about it to other people either way, people that don't give 2 rats's asses are getting alpha/beta keys means attracting new people to spread the holy word

Only a small part of the player base buys stuff for real money from the cash shops, the bigger the player base the bigger that part

Those of us who been waiting since before there were forums, will probably keep waiting even if they announce another year of delay, so they want to attract the uninterested

Can't explain it any other way
    "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    galvayra wrote: »
    Well from their perspective is sorta good marketing, the people that care will play the game and talk about it to other people either way, people that don't give 2 rats's asses are getting alpha/beta keys means attracting new people to spread the holy word

Only a small part of the player base buys stuff for real money from the cash shops, the bigger the player base the bigger that part

Those of us who been waiting since before there were forums, will probably keep waiting even if they announce another year of delay, so they want to attract the uninterested

Can't explain it any other way

That sorta sounds like they own the forum vets here no matter what they do....I can assure you that isn't the case, they are dangerously close to losing several of us and I'm not counting myself but some of them have deep ties in the MMO community and bad word of mouth is twice as powerful as good word of mouth.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    p.s. its an honest question, without sarcasm.

What do you folks think of a promotion like Stormshade, Crypticmapolis or Melanderi getting 40 keys, and then giving it away on the forums based on their will?

Do you think it will be fair even if their choice is something you won't agree on?

Like its their choice whoever they give it to, but the person should be on forum.
  • Options
    edited January 2013

What do you folks think of a promotion like Stormshade, Crypticmapolis or Melanderi getting 40 keys, and then giving it away on the forums based on their will?

Do you think it will be fair even if their choice is something you won't agree on?

Like its their choice whoever they give it to, but the person should be on forum.

That would go a long way in repairing some of the damage done
  • Options
    alsarothalsaroth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Hmm... What is "fair" anyway, if anything?

I do think, however, that the community managers may have some info. (active time in forums, number of posts, tone in said posts etc.) about the different members that they can base their choices on.
    "A rare display of intelligence, undoubtedly fleeting." - Edwin Odesseiron
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Let's just remember...

The German and French giveaways were Facebook giveaways, not forum giveaways.