test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

nw aplha

Comments

• crashodditycrashoddity Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    It should also be noted that new accounts have a probationary period so they can't make new introduction threads. That was the first place I went, and I still can't post. I'll be sure to properly introduce myself when I can :)
    edited January 2013
    I'm sorry but I don't see it that way, and tossing that around is gonna add more fuel to the fire. I do think certain people should get alpha thats been left out, what now? Guess some of us didn't kiss enough butt.

I don't think Cryptic owes anybody here beta access (unless they paid for it). And who's to say that the constructive, polite and helpful members of this community aren't already in alpha? They would be barred from saying that they were due to the NDA.

There's really no way to accurately tell how "fair" Cryptic is being with their alpha/beta invites, so we shouldn't try. If someone is upset that they haven't gotten an invite yet, they should take a hard look inward instead of pointing fingers.
  • mrbuttflakesmrbuttflakes Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I don't think Cryptic owes anybody here beta access (unless they paid for it). And who's to say that the constructive, polite and helpful members of this community aren't already in alpha? They would be barred from saying that they were due to the NDA.

There's really no way to accurately tell how "fair" Cryptic is being with their alpha/beta invites, so we shouldn't try. If someone is upset that they haven't gotten an invite yet, they should take a hard look inward instead of pointing fingers.

I've made my point, and I'm not the only disgruntled one I'm sure. But I will speak my mind on what I believe unlike some that will sit and take it.
  • murdernicklemurdernickle Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Ah the inevitable forum PVP of MMO's... I did miss it.
  • deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Agreed. It's very telling how the "veterans" of this forum complain about it being dead for so long, then when there's a huge influx of new people they have a problem.
    I have never griped about influx, occasionally I was mad/sad that we didnt get info when it was promised but overall I love the forums. Sometimes I wish certain people were on when I want them to be to see certain comments but not much worried about influx. I wish we had a nice little chatroom on here but alas we do not. I have been "getting to know people" on the forums for quite sometime and I am excited for when the game releases to be able to play with them. People like Aande and surf and Truthseekerand most people who are active on the forums as I know them better than the new guys.

I must admit though out of probably 2000 people yesterday I think maybe 4 introduced themselves or joined a guild. We have had influx before from the october contest, maybe not as much but it ends up we have .5 -2% of people stay on the forums or join a guild.
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2013

I can tell you this if I had an Alpha key I wouldnt be trying to win one.
    Also most people who I know have them show up on the forums introduce themselves tell us the got alpha keys and leave, now I know some could have them, but my best guess is 80% it least do not have an "real" Alpha/CB key.(I am not including mount codes.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • duckdemoduckdemo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Yeah I have been in MMO's when they were MUD's (NWN AOL). Also I have been following this game for as long as any of you. Because I didn't merge my account when this new forum came out and gave me a Jan 13 date means nothing.

Entitlement means nothing and this company is about money not loyalty to its fan base. CCP is a completely different company with different goals then PWE. And all this group of posters is doing is showing how elitism is alive an well.

This a video game and tons of people are waiting for it's release, that same fanbase just wants to play the game when it comes out. Forumites of any MMO or game are always a very small percentage of a fanbase. It doesn't take a genius for a company to see they already have most of you.

For the ones that are butthurt enough to not buy the game because of some perceived slight PWE will never even notice because they are a company that looks at the bottom line. They want people who are not devoting their majority of time to a game. Because most people just want to relax for a bit and enjoy. That is the demographic they are aiming for.

If you want a company to appreciate you make sure you research the company and find out what their goals are, CCP and Goblinworks and other startup companies are the ones you are looking for. I think this game will be great but the majority of posters in this thread are unrealistic in their expectations of PWE.
  • pboar2006pboar2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 421 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    duckdemo wrote: »
    Yeah I have been in MMO's when they were MUD's (NWN AOL). Also I have been following this game for as long as any of you. Because I didn't merge my account when this new forum came out and gave me a Jan 13 date means nothing.

Entitlement means nothing and this company is about money not loyalty to its fan base. CCP is a completely different company with different goals then PWE. And all this group of posters is doing is showing how elitism is alive an well.

This a video game and tons of people are waiting for it's release, that same fanbase just wants to play the game when it comes out. Forumites of any MMO or game are always a very small percentage of a fanbase. It doesn't take a genius for a company to see they already have most of you.

For the ones that are butthurt enough to not buy the game because of some perceived slight PWE will never even notice because they are a company that looks at the bottom line. They want people who are not devoting their majority of time to a game. Because most people just want to relax for a bit and enjoy. That is the demographic they are aiming for.

If you want a company to appreciate you make sure you research the company and find out what their goals are, CCP and Goblinworks and other startup companies are the ones you are looking for. I think this game will be great but the majority of posters in this thread are unrealistic in their expectations of PWE.

I dont actually know what you are even talking about. I havent seen one post of someone saying they wont buy this game because its pretty common knowledge that no one will be buying this Free to Play game.

Anyways...Bugaboos everywhere
    edited January 2013
    Personally I think the CM is going to decide the winners partially from "... a select few can join us ..." being said on the facebook page. So I think that we may be watched and be on our best behavior if we want one.

By the way I dont mean to offend people or be to cynical sorry if I seem that way. I am a little grouchy right know from my new diet. but good luck to you all

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2013
    I've made my point, and I'm not the only disgruntled one I'm sure. But I will speak my mind on what I believe unlike some that will sit and take it.

Fair enough. I just don't see how Cryptic could ever satisfy your needs on this issue. They could release a list of testers so we all know who's in and who's not, but then I'm sure that would be nitpicked to death. Speaking your mind is fine, but when you're being unreasonable you should expect it to be pointed out.
    edited January 2013
    I think we all need to get back to the main issue at hand. To those that do get into alpha Gratz to you, now get to testing and bug reporting.

Heres hoping for more info to be released to the waiting masses..
  • murdernicklemurdernickle Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'm hopeful for more information for sure. Things are still sparse so I'm hoping to get more class info as well as maybe another spotlight video.
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I think it was already made clear by devs that they want a cross-section of various testers from various diverse backgrounds to test the game. So being and not being selected as alpha should be taken as a factor of luck.

Alpha is different than beta. It is going to be short as release is in Q1 and this time devs can't afford to delay it otherwise it will become a joke. So it will be a matter of few sessions only before close beta starts. So do not be disappointed if someone does not gets selected. Just wait for beta.

Alpha keys are very limited, but regarding beta keys I don't know if being active forum member makes a difference or not - but I have already been rewarded with beta key when I participated in the Halloween contest of story (remember?) so mine is an outside preview kind of thing when it comes to beta keys :) . If more such contests are held periodiclly, I think it will help the people who are actve on these forums. Alas Stormshade, after repeated appeals and empty promises you have only held one such contest which benefits people active on forums!
    It should also be noted that new accounts have a probationary period so they can't make new introduction threads. That was the first place I went, and I still can't post. I'll be sure to properly introduce myself when I can :)

I am not pointing fingers at anyone specific, and you are already engaging in conversation, so if I was a cryptic dev, I could have already trusted you. But I hope before giving Alpha to anyone they select, they do engage in a meaningful conversation via PM and make sure other person understands what NDA is and how it is important. And also what consequences it could have when someone breaks it.

Also, consider that devs promise good things for those who are active on forums. Though the cake is a lie - says me who has been here for two years, but a lie from devs is something to consider.
    edited January 2013
    I haven't seen Stormshade on any Cryptic forum in a long time. Are we sure he still even works for PW?
    edited January 2013
    Reading more replies from new friends who have joined us, I think they are not aware of issue at hand.

The facts are:-
    devs promised "goodies" including beta keys to those who are active on forums.
    devs promised regular contests (>1) on forums which will give away beta keys.
    devs promised periodic outlet for news.

The number of promises fulfilled uptil now:-

They indignation is justified. You will also be if you were shown carrot for 2 years. I think even devs realize that the outbursts are justified.

Though a few of us also need to tone down a little too. It has been improving a bit. There were some contest (ok just one) this Halloween. A few devs are coming and going giving us news and you gotta agree, h2oratty told us first of all who that ranger NPC was - we still know more than any other website.

Now, "goodies" may just have been a carrot as you should have realized from day 1 (well, I did) but - oh, well 2 out of 3 should be a PASS!
    edited January 2013
    I haven't seen Stormshade on any Cryptic forum in a long time. Are we sure he still even works for PW?

He does works, he did post some news about convention in December. But I guess if he comes back it would be difficult for him to answer all the questions about his train and stuff - how it got stolen and all. :p
  • mrbuttflakesmrbuttflakes Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I feel much better now and didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. Certain ordeals have been eating at me about how things have been handled here, and it's not just the alpha. I guess I'll just have to accept it for what it is. There's beta just around the corner so yay, I just hope they listen to feedback since there's so many people going in.
    edited January 2013
    ... I wish we had a nice little chatroom on here but alas we do not. ...
    I remember forwarding that idea exactly an year ago (well not exactly but sometimes in mid January) but nobody took any notice of it. I guess it is not something many people want, just you and me :)
    I don't think Cryptic owes anybody here beta access (unless they paid for it). And who's to say that the constructive, polite and helpful members of this community aren't already in alpha? They would be barred from saying that they were due to the NDA. ...
    I am not aware of cryptic having done anything at all to even identify people on forum as helpful let alone gift them anything. Mods can enlighten us if cryptic has.
    EDIT: At least I was never called to such a conference, I believe I should qualify... probably?
    But I frankly I don't think cryptic will even dare try to identify people on forum as helpful - it may lead to QQ.
    pboar2006 wrote: »
    Breaking this into the two points that I deem needed addressing...
    If you want to take anti-social feat, it your choice. Its your build!
    edited January 2013
    I feel much better now and didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. Certain ordeals have been eating at me about how things have been handled here, and it's not just the alpha. I guess I'll just have to accept it for what it is. There's beta just around the corner so yay, I just hope they listen to feedback since there's so many people going in.

A critical, whining and complaining attitude is a necessity for a good tester.

Good criticism will not ruffle any feathers, only bad feathers.
    edited January 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »

Its anti-social to converse and get to know the people I am going to be playing with? You sir are an interesting person and someone I do hope to see in game so I can get to play along side you.
    edited January 2013
    pboar2006 wrote: »
    Its anti-social to converse and get to know the people I am going to be playing with? You sir are an interesting person and someone I do hope to see in game so I can get to play along side you.

I was referring to this:-
    ...There is no reason that I HAVE to introduce myself to the general public on any forum. If I am to post in Alpha Forums to discuss things then fine let it be known that I am Alpha Tester ###. There is really no need for me to go beyond that...

Actually you are right. There is no reason to be social. Anyone is free not to be.
    p.s. If you want to suggest I use a politically correct term for it, let me know then and I will comply. Sorry my terminology is more ... direct.
    edited January 2013
    I was referring to this:-

Actually you are right. There is no reason to be social. Anyone is free not to be.
    p.s. If you want to suggest I use a politically correct term for it, let me know then and I will comply. Sorry my terminology is more ... direct.

Ok ok you are correct that was a little...anti-social of me to say. Bad day is all I can account it to.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Reading more replies from new friends who have joined us, I think they are not aware of issue at hand.

The facts are:-
    devs promised "goodies" including beta keys to those who are active on forums.
    devs promised regular contests (>1) on forums which will give away beta keys.
    devs promised periodic outlet for news.

The number of promises fulfilled uptil now:-

They indignation is justified. You will also be if you were shown carrot for 2 years. I think even devs realize that the outbursts are justified.

Though a few of us also need to tone down a little too. It has been improving a bit. There were some contest (ok just one) this Halloween. A few devs are coming and going giving us news and you gotta agree, h2oratty told us first of all who that ranger NPC was - we still know more than any other website.

Now, "goodies" may just have been a carrot as you should have realized from day 1 (well, I did) but - oh, well 2 out of 3 should be a PASS!

Right friggin on gillrmn.....
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
    edited January 2013
    I remember forwarding that idea exactly an year ago (well not exactly but sometimes in mid January) but nobody took any notice of it. I guess it is not something many people want, just you and me :)

I am not aware of cryptic having done anything at all to even identify people on forum as helpful let alone gift them anything. Mods can enlighten us if cryptic has.
    EDIT: At least I was never called to such a conference, I believe I should qualify... probably?
    But I frankly I don't think cryptic will even dare try to identify people on forum as helpful - it may lead to QQ.

They keep the list of testers a secret for a very good reason that is plain for all to see here. We all inject emotion into every single action (or inaction) Cryptic takes. If they make a comment about an upcoming feature, every word in their post is considered an UNBREAKABLE PROMISE written in blood and notarized by Asmodeus. Then, if something happens that what that dev talked about ends up being different, everyone feels like a promise has been broken even when no promise has been made. Devs always preface their posts with "This is subject to change" but everyone seems to ignore that fact.

Game development is a volatile operation, and often times nothing is set in stone until it's released, so every single comment by a dev should be taken with the understanding that all we're getting is the truth AT THAT TIME and not some blood oath that cannot be broken.

So with all that in mind, I don't think it's reasonable for Cryptic to tell you how you should act to gain beta access. Like I said before, if someone here hasn't been selected for alpha/beta yet, they should not assume nobody else here has either. I don't think there's any conspiracy to short change forum users...
    edited January 2013
    They keep the list of testers a secret for a very good reason that is plain for all to see here. .

Ummm due to several forum malfunctions the list isn't all that secret.

...just sayin :rolleyes:
  • darkrevalationdarkrevalation Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I find it amusing they say select few and theres already over 200 pages in that stickied alpha key giveaway, man is it going to be random.
    edited January 2013
    So with all that in mind, I don't think it's reasonable for Cryptic to tell you how you should act to gain beta access. Like I said before, if someone here hasn't been selected for alpha/beta yet, they should not assume nobody else here has either. I don't think there's any conspiracy to short change forum users...

The point here is not if someone here is in alpha or not - the point is cryptic has not and can not reward anyone based on their "performance" on forums. At most they can do is release some information here which active members know before others, or something like that.

As far as rest of post goes, whatever I have written before regarding that, has no discrepancy. I used the word promise not UNBREAKABLE PROMISE first of all, because the post of Stormshade started with, "I promise you..." and stuff. And I am not making it up. You can even quote me on that and let me see any mod or dev prove otherwise. They can't as anyone can easily search the posts here.

As far as evaluation goes, I personally evaluate dev team as awesome (for their extraordinary efforts) and marketing as awful. That has been my stance since april-may and has not changed. Stormshade told me that they have a plan, and I said Wooo! thats great but nothing has changed with their so-called plan either. He also talked about his train which had left the station (or was going to) but we never were able to spot it. It got stolen in the way I think.

But I am still sticking around because of the awesome devs and my statement is unchanged which I made (3/4)year ago - if game does not perform as well as it was intended to due to awesome developers who made it, it is the fault of marketing team.
    Stormshade told me he will prove me wrong, and that his efforts are more oriented towards those outside of forums to bring them here to make this community larger - but I don't see any change.
    edited January 2013
    I find it amusing they say select few and theres already over 200 pages in that stickied alpha key giveaway, man is it going to be random.

Yep 200 pages of bot generated accounts that will end up selling the key on ebay...yay!
    edited January 2013
    Ummm due to several forum malfunctions the list isn't all that secret.

...just sayin :rolleyes:

Yah I mentioned that earlier I havent seen those guys since those posts. I wonder what PWE did to them *Image flashes of a vaiety of Dire Animals a gorn and a super villian torturing a body hanging from a pole and hearing unearthly wails you notice the pentagram on the floor. Fire bursts out as Asmodeus comes up from the ground, snatches the person, opens a portal to hell and goes back through it* yah lets not think about that.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2013
    p.s. Also, maybe due to awful marketing team, I believe the game needs help from users to market it. So let us all try to get along and do some good for this game, for the dev team deserves it.

Alas, many users have left or become inactive, let us make enough noise about game so they may hear and come back.

[post]139661[/post]