What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

nw aplha

Comments

• Options
    pboar2006pboar2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 421 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    Anyone else wondering how many of the "new" accounts made that are posting in the Alpha thread are actually just people making duplicate accounts to try and cheat the system?

/tinfoilhat
  • Options
    mrbuttflakesmrbuttflakes Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Well I'm sure an Alpha key would sell pretty high, so I could see some creating ungodly number of accounts.
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Well I'm sure an Alpha key would sell pretty high, so I could see some creating ungodly number of accounts.

Yep the PAX beta keys went for an ungodly amount, so of course the scalpers got in on this action...wish marketing actually realized that.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    p.s. its an honest question, without sarcasm.

What do you folks think of a promotion like Stormshade, Crypticmapolis or Melanderi getting 40 keys, and then giving it away on the forums based on their will?

Do you think it will be fair even if their choice is something you won't agree on?

Like its their choice whoever they give it to, but the person should be on forum.

That's how It should be. At least several of our brethren would acquire such treasure, and do their best to help make Neverwinter epic for us all. It would be an honor for many of us I believe.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    That's how It should be. At least several of our brethren would acquire such treasure, and do their best to help make Neverwinter epic for us all. It would be an honor for many of us I believe.

well said once again our intrepid community comes up with the answers that Marketing can't
  • Options
    health002health002 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 154 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    jee how many people signed up on this site in 2 days? omg
  • Options
    health002health002 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 154 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    for some reason i feel that they just made that other post to get people to get on this site, if i had to say ,i would think they plan on announcing beta on the 16th and that people start getting emails.
  • Options
    deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    p.s. its an honest question, without sarcasm.

What do you folks think of a promotion like Stormshade, Crypticmapolis or Melanderi getting 40 keys, and then giving it away on the forums based on their will?

Do you think it will be fair even if their choice is something you won't agree on?

Like its their choice whoever they give it to, but the person should be on forum.

I think this would be a good idea, I figure most of the active members would get 1 if that were the case.
    But lets not get cynical or anything, Ill be thankful if I win one or if I dont.

Also I have known Alpha has been going on for a while, because many have posted introduction threads a couple months back talking about having received Alpha keys.
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Well the "real" fans are going to the introductions and joining guilds and commenting on other pages, so I am guessing they will stay. I myself have had a few new recruits.

*By "real" I mean the people who WONT just go straight back to whining on the facebook page. Those who will get info from the forums instead of griping on facebook and asking questions answered on here 100 times over*

I am not trying to say the others arent fans or are fake, I was just trying to distinguish 2 groups

I have no problem with new people and answering questions but when people are to lazy to look 3 comments above them it gets annoying.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    In my humble opinion cryptic is blundering giving away alpha keys on facebook and forums.

But before commenting more, I will hold on to this and say a month down the line linking this post, "See I told you so." :p

EDIT:
    To be more clear: Can you trust people you get like that not to break NDA?
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    In my humble opinion cryptic is blundering giving away alpha keys on facebook and forums.

But before commenting more, I will hold on to this and say a month down the line linking this post, "See I told you so." :p

Yeah it was a big alienating move...they just should have thought it through more with the focus being on the core fans. You win the core the rest will come....just ask CCP.
  • Options
    radnomadradnomad Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    pboar2006 wrote: »
    Anyone else wondering how many of the "new" accounts made that are posting in the Alpha thread are actually just people making duplicate accounts to try and cheat the system?

/tinfoilhat

Yeah, there are alot of names like mkelka and afdakl. Made me go hmmmm too. lol
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I've about had enough of the BS honestly. Sure I'll play the game in beta, but I seen something today that just
    got my goat. Why the heck are we not in the alpha???

I think all those who have been following this game for the last 1-2 years should get in to help but whatever. Doesn't feel very good to be sh*t on by someone when you've been supporting and spending countless hours researching and absorbing every little detail.

I've been one of the quiet ones till recently.
  • Options
    murdernicklemurdernickle Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Coming from a loooong line of MMOs in the past, the people that get in to alphas and betas are typically press (who have no idea what they're doing) or people that don't understand what the game is and just want to derp around. It's veeeery rarely people who actually want it lol.
  • Options
    argoyletargoylet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I think closed beta is soon and this is just the first step in beginning to ramp up the hype engine.

However I do hope that anyone with a 2013 join date isn't seriously considered over people who have been around longer.
  • Options
    murdernicklemurdernickle Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    argoylet wrote: »
    I think closed beta is soon and this is just the first step in beginning to ramp up the hype engine.

However I do hope that anyone with a 2013 join date isn't seriously considered over people who have been around longer.

Ya true enough. But thats usually not how it's done.

I've just started looking into this game and feel no sense of entitlement besides getting my beta key from PCGamer. I would hope those that are excited for the game and have been following it would get preference.
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited January 2013
    argoylet wrote: »

I seriously hope this is not the case.
    Testing needs to be distributed among a wide variety of players - not just the active forum posters and long-time fans.
    Having been here on the forums longer makes us in no way more important or qualified for testing than others.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    ranncore wrote: »
    I seriously hope this is not the case.
    Testing needs to be distributed among a wide variety of players - not just the active forum posters and long-time fans.
    Having been here on the forums longer makes us in no way more important or qualified for testing than others.

This is the most truthful thing I have seen. As you can see I joined a while ago, but I dont post often. Does that make me more deserving of Alpha testing? I dont think so.
  • Options
    shopkoshopko Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I just joined. Give me a key! :o

In all seriousness, I just learned of the new Neverwinter about a year ago. NN2 was awesome, and from the demos I've seen of the new Forge, this game is going to be extremely addicting and a good addition to the series. I hope you guys do get a preview key, though maybe they're afraid that you know too much and would add to much work to their go-live task list. ;)

As a side note, I was thinking of playing STO just to mess around with the Forge over there in the meantime. It's not D&D, but Star Trek is another of my geek-out themes.
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited January 2013
    That doesn't mean I wouldn't like to be selected :) But I think it's naive and selfish to think of yourself as being more important than anyone else.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Well, the point is - can you trust people who don't even introduce themselves on the forums, to be actual people?

All we know they can just be bots, same bots which were spamming the forums.

I do not wish to hint that one kind of forum user should get preference over other, I said it was mistake because - I have seen only one person introduce themselves among the newbies. That is kind of very strange.

EDIT:
    Can you trust them not to break NDA?
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I dont believe I have introduced myself on the forums at all, and Im not sure when I will get around to it as I tend to go to official forums for news and the random funny story. It is guild forums that I am always most active on and get to know the community there as they are the ones I would be playing the most with.

Does this mean I am not trust worthy to be a solid tester and not just wanting a early demo? Can I be trusted with a NDA? That is the thing with internet anonymity is we dont really know WHO is trust worthy without taking a risk with people.

In other news I do need to start looking for a guild...
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Any stranger could be a saint. You have no reason to distrust them, no incriminating evidence upon which to judge them. Welcome strangers with open arms, and all that <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I dont believe I have introduced myself on the forums at all, and Im not sure when I will get around to it as I tend to go to official forums for news and the random funny story. It is guild forums that I am always most active on and get to know the community there as they are the ones I would be playing the most with.

Does this mean I am not trust worthy to be a solid tester and not just wanting a early demo? Can I be trusted with a NDA? That is the thing with internet anonymity is we dont really know WHO is trust worthy without taking a risk with people.

In other news I do need to start looking for a guild...
    Well HCG is still taking recruits

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    shopko wrote: »
    I just joined. Give me a key! :o

In all seriousness, I just learned of the new Neverwinter about a year ago. NN2 was awesome, and from the demos I've seen of the new Forge, this game is going to be extremely addicting and a good addition to the series. I hope you guys do get a preview key, though maybe they're afraid that you know too much and would add to much work to their go-live task list. ;)

As a side note, I was thinking of playing STO just to mess around with the Forge over there in the meantime. It's not D&D, but Star Trek is another of my geek-out themes.
    As said multiple times this is not another NWN game and is not in the same series.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    crashodditycrashoddity Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    That doesn't mean I wouldn't like to be selected :) But I think it's naive and selfish to think of yourself as being more important than anyone else.

Agreed. It's very telling how the "veterans" of this forum complain about it being dead for so long, then when there's a huge influx of new people they have a problem.
  • Options
    radnomadradnomad Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Agreed. It's very telling how the "veterans" of this forum complain about it being dead for so long, then when there's a huge influx of new people they have a problem.

I don't think an influx of new people is a problem. I hope we all see multiple alt/bot accts as a problem. Even if there isn't a solution. :)
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I dont believe I have introduced myself on the forums at all...

Can you vouch for those accounts not to be fake?

NDA is important for this game. Somebody breaking NDA and getting bored by unfinished tasks can get enraged and break NDA and start saying derp derp about the game. Will it even bring any benefit to the game? Would it not be better for devs to have those whom they know will at least respond to forums to discuss problems before blowing off.

Also it is ALPHA FORUMS ONLY where you can discuss the game without breaking NDA. Saying you want to discuss game somewhere else than forums is saying "I will break NDA" already.

I can see you are a person and not a bot - positively most probably (for we have been burned by intelligent bots before, they can have upgraded their AI) but if you are not active on forums, where will you discuss the game without breaking NDA? That is why you have to respectfully introduce yourself to community first. Not posting a lot, not coming here before - doesn't matter much.

I again say it is a mistake from cryptic side unless they have a foolproof way to find fake accounts.
  • Options
    edited January 2013

Pffftttt... It would be naive of me to think that this influx is any retention power at all. At most 1-2%.

And nobody is a "veterans" of forums. The term itself provokes laughter.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    But I think it's naive and selfish to think of yourself as being more important than anyone else.

I'm sorry but I don't see it that way, and tossing that around is gonna add more fuel to the fire. I do think certain people should get alpha thats been left out, what now? Guess some of us didn't kiss enough butt.