test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Removal of Legacy Set Bonuses

Comments

• Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2016
    Moderator Notice: Folks, lets do stop picking apart other's posts and opinions. Instead, please share your own on the topic, not on other's opinions. There is no need to argue who's opinion is better than who's, or whatever nonsense is going on here...

Please do not reply to this Moderator Notice, for doing so is not allowed. Instead, please remain on topic and free from arguing, bickering, or otherwise being rude or disrespectful. Thanks!
    Post edited by zebular on
  • Options
    mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Annointed army 45% buff to base power.
    2 clerics can stack army up to 90% a third one seems to dispell the other two armies.
    A companion with a base power 5000 for example gives with bonding 12 total power 19250.
    A companion with base power 5000 but with 2 armies will go 9500 power and with bonding 12 give result 36576.

the ONLY bug about annointed army i can see is it stacks with 2 clerics it shouldnt because is the same type buff.
    BONdings are the real issue they shouldnt transfer buffed power but only base power.
    companion can have buffed power why not but read the above.

blessing battle with feat 15% weapons light 10% on a cleric base power 23000( a bis 23k my prediction i dont have r12) is 25% of 23000=5750 that 18% bonus damage .

MY Whole point is cleric will stay very good fixing some bugs left with 45% buff on base power annointed army and 25% of cleric base power through the feats.

from PERSONal expierence i changed two days ago to ac and what i saw i didnt like it.

I mean my annointed army was enough to clear content i couldnt even cast my break the spirit that is not ok.

SHould be fast on bis levels but with the right rotation the right timing. 1 daily power is not rotation.

Post edited by mamalion1234 on
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited October 2016

1never had a high vizier and i never needed there are alternatives available to everyone. BEfore that change was the alternatives+ legacy set.

I DO not have ambush drake i do not have token i do not have dragon cultist but with good players knowing what they are doing the runs are not slow. 11 minutes cn without commander strike and sw i call it very good time for a bis pt.

CN is irrelevant as endgame content as it's 2k and everything, including NPCs hit points pool, has been balanced around that fairly low requirement. To add insult to the injury, the devs never balance content with buffs and debuffs stacking in mind, which makes kills take so little times bosses aren't bosses but glorified loot pinatas with a couple of new cool aoes that you won't need to dodge at all since anointed army can let you stay in red and keep casting.

Last but not least, it's not just about buffs and debuffs. It's also about all the immunity spells we have in game right now. Anointed army + knight's valor + pally bubble are a way to ignore the 5M+ the boss in FBI deals with call of winter. This is also as much broken as buffs and stuff. When characters can survive that much damage just to ignore game mechanics, there's something fundamentally broken about the game, and it's clearly not just old sets and buffs. It's the core of some design policies that's rotten.

There can't be any challenging content as long as there are game mechanics that lets us, players, ignore other game mechanics entirely, like damage or control.
  • Options
    michela123michela123 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited October 2016

2 clerics can stack army up to 90% a third one seems to dispell the other two armies.
    A companion with a base power 5000 for example gives with bonding 12 total power 19250.
    A companion with base power 5000 but with 2 armies will go 9500 power and with bonding 12 give result 36576.

the ONLY bug about annointed army i can see is it stacks with 2 clerics it shouldnt because is the same type buff.
    BONdings are the real issue they shouldnt transfer buffed power but only base power.

The second DC has just more power than the first DC...
  • Options
    mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    edited October 2016

you are saying if you cast to a teamate without bondings who is not cleric will not get 90% from 2 armies on his base power?
  • Options
    d4rkh0rs3d4rkh0rs3 Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    And what happens after consolers spend real money on a companion that grants 20% crit chance? Will there be a "balance" without compensation?

@thefabricant is correct--there are much bigger fish to fry than mod 5 gear with set bonuses if game balance is to be addressed.
  • Options
    gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    kalindra said:

Taken away that disturbance they'll be able to have more robust data and they need them.
    So do it on a test server...

There's not enough people on the test server to be really relevant I guess. The vast majority of players doesn't go there and especially doesn't run dungeons there.
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
  • Options
    michela123michela123 Member Posts: 257 Arc User

you are saying if you cast to a teamate without bondings who is not cleric will not get 90% from 2 armies on his base power?
    I'm saying that the Power from two AA doesn't stack.
  • Options
    ijonumijonum Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    asterdahl said:

As others have pointed out, those with the sets have already gotten a tremendous amount of use out of them, including substantially reduced farming times which lead directly to profit. This is a different case than Lostmauth due to refinement investment and other factors. Equipment was never meant to last this long so we're not currently looking to implement any sort of compensation.

And then you have me: after many tries to bring my buddies back to Neverwinter after like two years (we stopped playing around Mod5 because one of us was too busy running his business) I finally succeed, see how many - often expensive - content I have to catch up with, then I luckily stop from salvaging my hard-earned High Prophet because it turns out it's still viable. But first time I put it on we can't kill Lostmauth because with ~35kHP I get killed FAST and we defeat the dragon in a third try after I switch back to some blue 70 level Alliance gear. So I decide to do all the max HP feats that got into the game in the meantime, as much radiants as possible and work on it hard, and when I'm almost done you decide to take the gear that could help me catch up with current 4k+GS monsters just a bit faster.

Ever since I - with much joy, as I really missed the Neverwinter's specific gameplay style - came back (mid august) you took down Gateway, Zen vanished from the market, and now you're taking my beloved gear.

[Moderator Edit: Removed vulgar insinuation]

Post edited by zebular on
  • Options
    inyawayupdeepinyawayupdeep Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 206 Arc User
    A huge Booo along with an added hiss for getting rid of set bonuses on previous mod six armor, hows about we nerf the vorpal enchant just for kicks it's been around a long time, makes about as much sense. Youv'e gone out of your way here, when at the same time you create new ways to become overpowered such as bonding stones and mount powers and insignia. Especially when you consider the risks with using a set that has a third the HP as new armor. Give us a break. And you shouldn't be hiding this in preview, put it where All will see it
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator

And you shouldn't be hiding this in preview, put it where All will see it

Do take a look at the General Forum's stickies...

• Options
    uptondarkdiamonduptondarkdiamond Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Ok, now that I have time to cool off about this topic and had time to think about it. This brings up some questions about other similar items in the game. Something stuck with me through all the post about this topic and I think it deserves some hard looks also. I like rabbit holes so here it goes:
    asterdahl said:

dupeks said:

The decision to remove the mod5 sets is a symbolic one, not a real fix to the underlying issues.

We'd like to continue to make adjustments that make Neverwinter's content more enjoyable and rewarding. And although community feedback regarding what powers are too powerful, not powerful enough, etc. is invaluable, in the end this decision was made not because there was a tremendous outcry, but because we believed that this was the right opportunity to do so, and that we'd like the upcoming trial to not be subject to the imbalance these sets provided. At least with those player powers that might be out of hand, every group potentially has access to that same pool of abilities.
    Here is the part that stuck with me: At least with those player powers that might be out of hand, every group potentially has access to that same pool of abilities. I understand its about the context of player powers but the thing that really stuck with me was the every group potentially has access to that same pool of abilities

So my main question is about access or potential access. Does every group have potentially the same access? I know some have brought it up, umm like these companions, Death Slaad Powerstone (3.5-7 million AD, 2 on auction house), Harper Bard (15 million AD, 1 on auction house), and Ambush Drake (70million AD, 1 on auction house). I know some of these items were part of a give away but now how does one go about getting them? I don't think you can therefore they are inaccessible to every group.

Those were the only examples I could think of off the top of my head and would love to incorporate Legendary mounts into that group, but everyone has access to keys and as long as resurgence lock boxes are available everyone has potential access to them (not realistic access in my book, :p). But if resurgence lock boxes go away, what about them legendary mounts that are no longer accessible?

Because groups no longer have potential access to these items (i'm sure there are others that i missed feel free to add some you think could be on there also) shouldn't they be given the same treatment as the Mod 5 gear? Isn't this low hanging fruit also?

I do not mean to ignite anything, I just have questions about how far down the rabbit hole this type of nerf will go. Obviously, I have been playing the game through many, many changes, most I have come around to accepting (gateway still hurts). I have to admit this is the first time I have seen gear that worked the way it was supposed to get made totally useless.

I also think you all could have made the Mod 5 obsolete if you would have made the everforst mechanic an environmental effect would have killed the player without the proper everfrost gear on. Two birds, one stone, can't use old gear and everybody will get the new gear. Of course, you would have to remove almost all of the empowerment stuff to make people get on board with the new gear and be somewhat happy about doing it, but you went a totally different route. Here is my thoughts on how everfrost should have worked, http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1221431/mod-10-the-good-the-bad-the-ugly-so-far, its under The Bad, number 2.

So I will leave you all with the question, does every group have potentially the same access???
    Post edited by uptondarkdiamond on
  • Options
    ajax0101ajax0101 Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    I guess I really don't care one way or the other. My crew is BIS now and will be BIS in the future. We will continue to be in the fastest run catagory. This is just another example of an unimaginative development team. The meta in mod 5 (I play on Xbox) was everyone run dps in a party. DEVS didn't like this so they changed the content to require a well rounded party. Good players adapted learned to stack sick buffs. It never occurred to the DEV team to imagine players would keep running the old sets. As to exciting rewards comment. Rewards have sucked since mod 5. Bring back bind on equip drops that was fun and exciting. As to more time gating and rng I'll pass. Stop being a one trick pony company. If the content is deemed too easy make harder content. DEVS need to stop being butt hurt that their player base trivializes the game with assets they put in their in the first place. Follow borderlands example and make extra super hard mode for crews with truly elite gear, you already brought back dungeons with easy mode.
  • Options
    asterdahlasterdahl Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,258 Cryptic Developer
    rsan said:

The new sets has little variation over the previous expansion set. Thus, with each new expansion, its pretty much power play all the time. Where are the different set bonuses that gives players more options build a character?

This is a popular question and I can understand that feeling. When set bonuses were built in a pre-Module 6 environment, there were less variables in play. Set bonuses comprised a stunning amount of an item's power and often times a new set would be released and many builds would happily stick with an older set. This was actually not the intent of the design team at the time, but very little time spent balancing these sets created power creep which allowed this situation to arise.

Building multiple unique set bonus powers per tier per class to provide interesting choices and then ensuring that those bonuses are properly balanced in the sea of variables is incredibly time consuming and would significantly detract from the time we could devote to balancing the existing field of powers and building new bosses and other new content.

It would also increase the burden of balancing the existing field of powers and promote power creep in order to make new sets relevant. I want to point out that in this case I am explicitly referring to unintentional power creep as opposed to intentional power increases. It is expected that as item level increases, so to do does the power. Power creep is when the item level does not increase but the power increases due to other factors.

While I certainly can't say these types of set bonuses will never return, in the near future we'd like to work on balancing the playing field by reigning in powers that are out of control and break down content and buffing those powers that are generally not useful or fun.

The classes themselves, even at BIS levels, do not have much damage. Buffs and debuffs are needed. Demanding nerfing to all buffs and debuffs just cuz they are taking out the sets is bizarre and shows that the sets are broken OP.

There are numerous cases where buffs and debuffs are out of hand, but we're not aiming to completely remove the concept of buffing or debuffing. Additionally, while damage is higher than where we would probably like it to be at the moment, we won't be making these adjustments without thought to how they'd potentially affect rewards, or damage from other sources, etc.

We'd like the choice between powers that deal damage directly and those that debuff and buff to be more about the player's individual build and play style, and not have it simply be that buffs and debuffs are almost always the correct choice.

Here is an image of FBI without any mod 5 sets, to compare to that time presented. Take note, this was not due to mod 5 sets, (and not due to fabled, natsu does not own it) this was due to getting lucky on rolling the dice with commander's strike.

We certainly expect their to continue to be fast completion times when the changes go through. We'll continue to collect data once the changes are made on live, and see how the averages and deviations are affected.

We appreciate all of your responses and continued feedback.

• Options
    jazzfongjazzfong Member Posts: 1,079 Arc User
    I looking forward for set bonus other than dmg resist against X and +Y stat. The most fun part abt NW for me is playing with high diversity. Previously i enjoyed high prophet for speed run with risk, farming a set for a month for its title, playing with high divinity recharge build with profound, fast cast build in pvp with miracle healer without tenacity and many more. Please consider to reintroduce class specific set bonus but not taking them away from us.

Currently NW meta is use X weapon Y armor and Z artifact set for any class any build. Of cuz this make balancing easier but is this what u devs want to see? Everyone using same gear every module without any other choice, or maybe change together to new gear agn once a mod like from DF to drow to relic. This really kill the fun of playing for most of us. Please reconsider your choice @asterdahl . It is already 5 mods without them. Tired waiting…
  • Options
    vteasyvteasy Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    asterdahl said:

rsan said:

The new sets has little variation over the previous expansion set. Thus, with each new expansion, its pretty much power play all the time. Where are the different set bonuses that gives players more options build a character?

This is a popular question and I can understand that feeling. When set bonuses were built in a pre-Module 6 environment, there were less variables in play. Set bonuses comprised a stunning amount of an item's power and often times a new set would be released and many builds would happily stick with an older set. This was actually not the intent of the design team at the time, but very little time spent balancing these sets created power creep which allowed this situation to arise.

Building multiple unique set bonus powers per tier per class to provide interesting choices and then ensuring that those bonuses are properly balanced in the sea of variables is incredibly time consuming and would significantly detract from the time we could devote to balancing the existing field of powers and building new bosses and other new content.

It would also increase the burden of balancing the existing field of powers and promote power creep in order to make new sets relevant. I want to point out that in this case I am explicitly referring to unintentional power creep as opposed to intentional power increases. It is expected that as item level increases, so to do does the power. Power creep is when the item level does not increase but the power increases due to other factors.

While I certainly can't say these types of set bonuses will never return, in the near future we'd like to work on balancing the playing field by reigning in powers that are out of control and break down content and buffing those powers that are generally not useful or fun.

The classes themselves, even at BIS levels, do not have much damage. Buffs and debuffs are needed. Demanding nerfing to all buffs and debuffs just cuz they are taking out the sets is bizarre and shows that the sets are broken OP.

There are numerous cases where buffs and debuffs are out of hand, but we're not aiming to completely remove the concept of buffing or debuffing. Additionally, while damage is higher than where we would probably like it to be at the moment, we won't be making these adjustments without thought to how they'd potentially affect rewards, or damage from other sources, etc.

We'd like the choice between powers that deal damage directly and those that debuff and buff to be more about the player's individual build and play style, and not have it simply be that buffs and debuffs are almost always the correct choice.

Here is an image of FBI without any mod 5 sets, to compare to that time presented. Take note, this was not due to mod 5 sets, (and not due to fabled, natsu does not own it) this was due to getting lucky on rolling the dice with commander's strike.

We certainly expect their to continue to be fast completion times when the changes go through. We'll continue to collect data once the changes are made on live, and see how the averages and deviations are affected.

just remember the lessons learned from mod 6 plz. Your players don't like to feel less powerful and hate running the same content that has just been buffed to take longer...
  • Options
    uptondarkdiamonduptondarkdiamond Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 169 Arc User
    vteasy said:

asterdahl said:

rsan said:

just remember the lessons learned from mod 6 plz. Your players don't like to feel less powerful and hate running the same content that has just been buffed to take longer...
    Yeah, this is so true, please don't forget about this. I think more people left because of this than any other thing you all have done.
  • Options
    You really should try to compensate people with this set, just because the set has been in the game for two years doesn't necessarily mean players with it have had it and used it for that amount of time, I myself had bought the set with the intention of reselling it, I kept it for nearly a year then decided to use it on an alt, to try out a new build. That toon hasn't had a lot of playtime he is my 6th level 70 toon. Not everyone is playing the game the same way, lots of your older customers have several alts right now I have 18, and slots for seven more.I haven't gotten to use this set much, for me all this is is another waste of my time and money. You are taking a highly sought after item and reducing it to worthless, you should make it right with us or at least try to.
  • Options
    thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    @asterdahl, before he left @amenar promised to bring up the fact that we would like fixed damage weapons added for our use. Since it seems you have the time to remove these set bonuses, it would be great if you added those weapons for our use. I promise, our feedback will be 100's of times better as a result. You can find a link to a thread about it in my signature.
    Post edited by thefabricant on
  • Options
    arashjamarashjam Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    NOTE: I don't own any level 60 set; no one in my guild owns one; no one I regularly play with owns one;

I have been in dungeons with HP set a couple of times and the runs weren't extraordinarily fast. I don't want to argue about how effective they are. My problem with this "nerf" is more substantial. If I sell you a laptop and then after three years come back and say "Hey! I really didn't think the laptop would last this long, so I'm gonna take it back! Sorry, my bad!", you'd be pretty angry with me and you have every right to be. When players bought those sets, it didn't have an expiration date. So, just because devs screwed up, they punish every one who owns them. And please don't say it only effects very few of players, because if that's the case why even nerf it.

I am worried that this become a usual thing with devs. They make a mistake and we have to pay for it. I understand that the nature of MMOs is based on changes and new equipment; but that doesn't mean you can take away an equipment that players have farmed or paid for it just because you feel it's necessary.

And now there are talks bout Bonding Stones. They are not broken (yes they are powerful), and it's a fair game for everyone to get them. But with this new mindset, devs can just remove them and claim it is too powerful. A R12 costs about 2M AD. I don't know about you, but HAMSTER takes me a few months to get this much AD.
    All is lost.
  • Options
    mightyerikssonmightyeriksson Member Posts: 842 Arc User

Most buffs and debuffs are fine. Bondings themselves are fine. Commander's Strike is not fine. Owlbear Cub multi-proccing on SW and OP is not fine. Companions getting buffed and giving those buffs to a player are not fine.

Come on, how else am I going to get 2-300k Power with my DC?
  • Options
    demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    Sucks to have long las ting items nerfed...
    Yet another reason not to buy zen convert to Astral to buy gear.

I don't trust this company much anymore...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • Options
    silver11#9318 silver11 Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    when will the "fix" to underdark rings working on companions happen? i figure a nerf post is the best place to ask
  • Options
    imperiousshiniimperiousshini Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 199 Arc User
    ok, I think this thread was meant to inform us that legacy sets will have their bonus removed next mod.
    I don't think it's a Nerf request thread.
  • Options
    Humpf, just took my cleric with HP set into eTOS, just so i could get a little use out of it before it becomes totaly usless, thought it might be fun to dominate the dungeon figured I would at least be useful to others in the party. Funny thing was I died 8 times being one shot as soon as i tried to engage anything, am pretty sure I was the weak link in the chain, How can that be??? I know how to play DC I'm certainly not the best in the game but I am pretty solid DC and I had the best armor set in the game.
    Ok here's the deal, in my opinion you haven't thought this through well enough, you rushed to a decision which is flawed.
    You took a quick look at one aspect of what was going on (dungeon run time) then tried to pin the result on one thing you could change easily (the gear sets) decided there was a positive correlation between the two things and charged ahead, your problem is you never looked at the whole picture, the sets work well but they are not game breaking, You will soon figure this out after you nerf the sets and groups continue to overrun the dungeon. the reason I was getting wiped out was that I had very low hit points (due to wearing a set that was so old).
    If your going to fix this you are going to need to take a deeper look at things, what else was going on? were they just an average group? how well were they buffing each other and debuffing enemies?. was the game behaving properly. What companions and mounts did they use? what kinds were they? did they each perform normaly? what were the armor enhancements and weapon enhancements, insignia, rune stones, and companion gear that they used? did they function properly? did these items interact in any unusual ways with other items. and probably best of all how did they survive at all wearing sets that have neglegibile HP in a dungeon that is tier3? and will getting rid of these sets do anything to stop that?
    Take a closer look at these things and you might begin to make a difference, wack a mole style changes like this aren't going to do it for you.
  • Options
    dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    Vet since Mod 2 with HV, HP and KC.

So I'm one who can comment on how they felt in every stage of their value.

Great... then bad... then great again... now, Meh.

Can live without them. Prefer stronghold and other new gear. Bored with them to be honest.

Plenty of more important game shortcomings to [female dog] and [intercourse sound] about.
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
    "Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.