Install Arc
Options

Cryptic OFFICIAL Feedback Thread: Refinement System - Pt. 2

Comments

• Options
    syka08syka08 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    http://nw.perfectworld.com/news/?p=1028581
    So we added in Upgrade components (called Reagents) that are required to go from a given Rank to the next Rank.
    So you guys are going with the suggestion and renaming catalyst to the proper term Reagent? Small but cool :3.
    contents to be decided
  • Options
    babass52babass52 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The new system is veeeeeeeeery good.
    Only good things.

Another thing with this changes, we can craft savage enchant rank 10 most easily :)
  • Options
    mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'm not sure if it's a bug or not, but I failed like 10 attempts in a row with 60% chance. And it happens very often. I've noticed, that this happened when there was/were enchant/s in refining slots. If you have 100% RP+Catalysts+Ward AND 1 or more runestones/enchantments/shards in refining slots it seems like decreasing you success chance a lot. May be I just had a bad luck. Multiple times in a row...
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • Options
    rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    babass52 wrote: »
    The new system is veeeeeeeeery good.
    Only good things.

Another thing with this changes, we can craft savage enchant rank 10 most easily :)

That will be quite nice. Cruels too. :)
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• Options
    khimera906khimera906 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    mehguy138 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it's a bug or not, but I failed like 10 attempts in a row with 60% chance. And it happens very often. I've noticed, that this happened when there was/were enchant/s in refining slots. If you have 100% RP+Catalysts+Ward AND 1 or more runestones/enchantments/shards in refining slots it seems like decreasing you success chance a lot. May be I just had a bad luck. Multiple times in a row...
    I would say it's just bad luck. Sometimes I can't get a R4 to R5 successful fusion for hours. This is the reason why I like the new system over the current one, it reduces the number of times you have to dance with Lady Luck... She always steps on my toes.:)
    I hate dancing with Lady Luck. She always steps on my toes.
  • Options
    janderxjanderx Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    No one want to unslot just because it is ridiculus expensive to do so, and it was not even a fixed amout, it changes!!!
    So far, i haven't had a single rank 6+ enchantment, not to say that without the infamous coallesent ward the sharandar enchantments are just plain imposible to fuse, so i got only rank 5 enchants. and no weapon or armor enchants.

The new refine system is even worst! Now you can unslot by a mere gold or two, but you got to spend A LOT! of enchantments to improve the fusing % and spend AD (or Zen I'm guessing), or spent SO MUCH time to gather the catalysts...I was fascinated by the preview of shdaowmanttle, until I saw the artifacts and the refine system.

you guys really need to re think costs, it already is WAY expensive to buy good epic equipments to improve the gear score just to accesess an unbeatable dungeon that consumes all the consumables, or to enter pvp with what you think is a good fighting character to find trickster rougues that are ALL the time invisible and with just one hit kill you, players with characters that are damaged and when you hit magically they fill up all the health, making you impossible to harvest AD to upgrade your GS, just to add this refine system in this new module...is pushing way too much for so little the shadowmanttle are offers...
  • Options
    sereenawindsereenawind Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Personally The idea of having to find the marks to upgrade the Wards and enhancements STINKS! for one thing you cannot find half of the marks you need and another it forces you into doing dungeons etc. Not everyone wants to do 0 or more dungeons to try and find a specific mark. for example i have been trying to find a mark of POWER and a MARK of POTENCY since I started the Preview. Of which I have yet to find one though I've dobne the skirmishes and looked in every Skill box in Sharandar and Circle for many hours per day. Personally I hate it. It will make using enhancements and Wards almost impiossible especially when trying to get them for your companion. For the artifacts I guess it works alright but I need the 2 I mentioned and hiope that I will find them in the next month or so or it won't be worth playing anymore as far as I'm concerned. I play a game for fun. When it becomes too hard to upgrade or be able to help your character then the fun leaves and it becomes a chore to play. When the fun goes So will I go
    May the Good Lord keep you always in His Loving Arms
  • Options
    lococatt91lococatt91 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 162 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    Hopefully you all can explain this to me because I must be missing something.

Each refined enchant takes its own inventory slot and all the new refining gems and catalysts take inv slots, how is this saving me bag space? and how is this a sleek system, it seems overly complicated to me.

I see several people saying its cheaper and i read the dev blog which he said making high rank enchants would be cheaper, I dont see it.
    I looked at a lesser plaguefire enchant and it takes 103k refine points to increase.
    That means you need 1 LPF to upgrade then 4 more LPF to refine to get the 103k then another 1 LPF as a catalyst so a total of 6 lesser plagefires.
    Then you still need a coal ward and 2 epic catalysts at 100k ad each. That is almost doubling the cost of creating a plaguefire enchant.

I dont understand. Can someone explain it to me using the above example so that I see what I am missing.
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    lococatt91 wrote: »
    I looked at a lesser plaguefire enchant and it takes 103k refine points to increase.
    That means you need 1 LPF to upgrade then 4 more LPF to refine to get the 103k then another 1 LPF as a catalyst so a total of 6 lesser plagefires.

Or you could use all the rank 4s and shards you weren't otherwise using to get the refining points rather than forcing you to get 4 of the same under the old system. This is where the space saving comes into play.

The marks that are used as reagents are drops as well so you aren't forced to buy them. Even if you don't want to farm the actual cost will be less than 100k each since you can buy them from other players. Also you will need less coal wards in the long run because you won't have to upgrade as much.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    If you dont use the same enchants as what your trying to upgrade it takes more. For example if i used some other rank 8 enchant instead of plaguefires in the above example, you would have needed an additional 2 enchants. This would have made the cost more than double what it is currently.
    I agree that using anything to refine is more convenient and i like that aspect of the new system, but, the dev and other posters indicated that this system is cheaper. To me it looks way more expensive unless i am misunderstanding something.
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Using all the rank 4s I get from normal questing is far cheaper and easier than having to get more shards of the same type for weapon/armor enchantments and then upgrading those.
  • Options
    badgerpants999badgerpants999 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hi, it's my Inner Pedant again.
    My Inner Chemist is still crying, any work on changing the name Catalysts to Reagents? And yes I did check Wikipedia, they should be called Reagents, not Catalysts. So there!
    :p
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Hi, it's my Inner Pedant again.
    My Inner Chemist is still crying, any work on changing the name Catalysts to Reagents? And yes I did check Wikipedia, they should be called Reagents, no Catalysts. So there!

The article on refining called them reagents not catalysts so there is a good chance the name was changed.
  • Options
    obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    So I've been leveling a HR and the problem I have at level 30 is I'm not getting enough enchants. You need enchants to level your enchants and your artifact. Even with the 3 White Pearls (which are nice; can they go in the AD store?) I've found I'm finding it hard to raise enchat levels, and the artifact would still be level 1 if another player hadn't handed me 18 Rank 5 silvery enchants.

Bug: RP Values Persist
    After finishing refining the little RP values above an enchant box persist even after refinement is done and you refill. (As I recall with the refill bit.)
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • Options
    badgerpants999badgerpants999 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    dardove wrote: »
    The article on refining called them reagents not catalysts so there is a good chance the name was changed.

I see that now, my Inner Chemist thanks you, now he can go back to his super soldier serum research. and I can get back on my horse. I had to read the article 4 times before I saw it but I like what I saw, thankyou!

My Inner Pedant.
  • Options
    jintortlejintortle Member Posts: 655 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Too complicated.

All I know is that I had 3 lv 7's and a 100k Stone and some odds and ends to get the level up for Refinement.

Pressed the button - the 2 lv 7's in the catalyst area are gone and so is the 100k stone.

The level is now 100% - but I no longer have the 100k stone or another lv 7.

But I still need a 100k stone and a lv'7 as a Catalyst in addition to what I just done I am missing ingredients (Catalysts).

In order to get the lv'7 to 100% - I can not just add lower ranks to fill the bar to 100% without a 100k stone being used.

SO BEFORE 4 lv 7's and a few tries with a ward equipped and had a lv 8.

No it is - crazy stuff and 200K in AD WTF - If this is going to come in at least have the option of just adding up to 100% or the actual refinement + it said in today post that 2 lv's 7 and a stone would make the lv 8 - not in my experience
    Genus Draco Fad and the Muster@Jintortle
    ID: NW-DD5FLOBTJ
    Cult of the Dragon Foundry Contest - Please participate and vote for your favourite - 26/6/2014 contest rating begins.

Sir Camps A Lot. Mr SlingShot Boom. XX Phantasmagorical. Jinn Dragonfeast.
    SlingShot Boom Jr. Jocan Traders. Little Lord Forgatty, Dwarf Mean and introducing Necro Torquemada (The Warlock)
  • Options
    uurbsuurbs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 449 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    Hopefully you all can explain this to me because I must be missing something.
    Take a look at my posting about Weapon/Armor Enchantment comparison chart of refining (new) vs. fusing (old), maybe that will help you.
    Each refined enchant takes its own inventory slot and all the new refining gems and catalysts take inv slots, how is this saving me bag space? and how is this a sleek system, it seems overly complicated to me.
    Why would you keep enchantments in your inventory anyway? Put those you're gonna use in the equipment slots and those you don't use for the refinement points on those slotted enchantments.
    I see several people saying its cheaper and i read the dev blog which he said making high rank enchants would be cheaper, I dont see it.
    Why would you use a LPF for refinement points anyway?
    Proud member of Dragon Clan - German Gaming Community
  • Options
    uurbsuurbs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 449 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    If you dont use the same enchants as what your trying to upgrade it takes more. For example if i used some other rank 8 enchant instead of plaguefires in the above example, you would have needed an additional 2 enchants. This would have made the cost more than double what it is currently.[...]
    In the new system, you should never ever use anything above rank 6 or a shard for refinement points, because if you would do that, it would be insanely expensive!
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    shunterino wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the catalysts drop form chests from Leadership tasks? Would be cool if they did.
    As I posted in the old thread, I did some testing and apparently they do not drop :(

I also did some recent testings (2 days ago) and still they did not drop from the leadership chests or barrels, therefore:

It would be very nice if the leadership chests and barrels ("Chest of goods" and "A barrel of goods") would be able to drop different levels of "Mark of Potency" as well.

The chests and barrels already kind of share the same loot table as the skill nodes or the loot chests, therefore as the "Mark of Potency" can drop there, it would be nice if they drop here, too.
  • Options
    abelcoeurdacierabelcoeurdacier Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    annul
  • Options
    lionmaruu0lionmaruu0 Member Posts: 327 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I can get behind the new system if they are making reagents drop too, then it's all ok. People starting now may not even have much problem with it.
  • Options
    thraexisthraexis Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    when it first gets released it will but hard for people
    but after a week or 2 once things start rolling.
    it will become easier and easier.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited November 2013
    annul
    Last edited by abelcoeurdacier. Reason: Une partie seulement de mon message apparait sur le forum
    . . . . . You'll need to use English on our forums, I'm afraid, as these are a set of English-only forums. Special Characters (like the ones found here) will cause a forum bug to happen where that character and everything afterwards will be omitted from posting. Apologies.

French (sorry for bad translation):
    Vous aurez besoin d'utiliser l'anglais sur nos forums, j'ai peur, car ce sont un ensemble de forums uniquement en anglais. Caracteres speciaux (tels que ceux trouves ici) provoque un bug de forum se produire ou ce caractere et tout par la suite seront omis de validation. Excuses.
  • Options
    bernadeabernadea Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    My apologies, but the argument about inventory space is a weak one also selling the "use different enchants to rank up" feature. The truth is you will be punished with half the amount of refinement points if the "fodder" doesn't match. Using same types is necessary if you wont end up foddering everything you'll find in order to refine. Furthermore in comparison with the new system you'll need more same type enchants to rank up beginning at rank 8. The ratio corresponding to the current system would be 6 Rank 7 same type enchantments to get a rank 8 instead of 4 rank 7. And this is the best case scenario.

The refinement and upgrade process for shard enchantments (for weapon and armor purple slot) will reward you if you use the same types of shards all the way to a perfect as well (best case 184 of them). If not you'll end up farming 304 of them in the worst case. Shards will be the only thing you'll have to use for refining. Everything else and you'll be punished.

The amount of coalescent wards has been cut dramatically from 85 to 15.
    Taking this into account you can benefit from the new system if the drops for the "catalyst" is not that bad like for the coalescent wards.

Be smart out there and use same type enchantment for fodder whenever possible.

oh yes, please drop this "catalyst" naming. this is basic chemistry.
  • Options
    shunterinoshunterino Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    uurbs wrote: »

It would be very nice if the leadership chests and barrels ("Chest of goods" and "A barrel of goods") would be able to drop different levels of "Mark of Potency" as well.

The chests and barrels already kind of share the same loot table as the skill nodes or the loot chests, therefore as the "Mark of Potency" can drop there, it would be nice if they drop here, too.

I agree with this, but it would still be far better to just get rid of the whole catalyst/reagent idea. The Devs fixed one pain in the neck (unslotting costs) but for some unknown reason replaced it with another equally irritating and offputting step. Zero sum gain.

I know it can sometimes be difficult to see the wood for the trees when you're deep in the middle of things but make no mistake, the whole reagent extra step, extra farming, difficulty of gathering, needless complication is a step backwards. If you really want to make the process fun and intuitive please rethink this.
  • Options
    ott0madduxott0maddux Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    So I logged in to check it out again, third time. The second time I was able to use all my vorpal shards (28) and AD 600k and get a greater Vorpal. I thought this might make this horrible change bearable. This time however, not so good. they must have thought they weren't <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> us enough. Same 28 vorpal shards plus 10 terror shards and 3 coal wards and 2 greater marks netted me a regular vorpal that's ready to upgrade, but needs 2 more marks and another regular vorpal. So in the current system I'd have used 8 Coal wards and 28 Vorpal shards to get 1 and 3/4 regular vorpal shards, here i'm left with a vorpal shard that needs another whole vorpal shard to upgrade. Huge Fail!
  • Options
    ott0madduxott0maddux Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    My Opinion- Make as many enchants as you can before this game wrecker goes Live
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    The part that bothers me is the devs blog saying this is going to be easier and cheaper and making higher rank (8 9 10) enchantments easier. Also there is still people posting that this new system is cheaper and to just refine rank 4 enchantments.
    OK lets look at that
    You want to upgrade your greater enchant to perfect. This will be over 2500 rank 4 enchants.
    How many do you get a day, maybe 6?
    So if you farm every day for almost a year and half you will have the refining points you need.
    Then you just have to get another greater enchant for a regent and a coal ward and some additional epic regents maybe from boss drop or buy them for 100k each.

This new system is in no way easier, cheaper or more efficient.
    Remember they are also using this system to upgrade the artifacts. People that have been playing for awhile may have lots of shards and <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> enchants to burn through at first but that still doesnt change the fact that this new system is 2-3x more expensive to produce a higher rank enchant.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    You want to upgrade your greater enchant to perfect. This will be over 2500 rank 4 enchants.

People just starting out with enchanting are at a disadvantage under either system, because they don't already have a ton of stuff.

Shards will net you a lot more refining points for the upgrades that require a lot of points. Once you have access to Sharandar, you can get guaranteed access to one shard per day, absolutely free, playing all by yourself. Takes a while to get there, but players who aren't level 60 oughtn't to be worrying about weapon/armour enchantments, and upgrading an artifact slowly over the life of your character seems acceptable to me. Not everything has to be maxed out on the first day you got it.

The reduction in ward use is an enormous advantage over the old system, as are the reduced points of failure (successfully make 4 matching 4s to make a 5, then 4 matching 5s to make a 6, etc.), and not needing to wait to fuse or use whatever you find as you find it.

People are talking about being "punished" for using mismatched enchantments for feeding, but what exactly were they planning on doing with their training runestones? I vendored many of these just to make them go away. Now they'll have a purpose, beyond taking up space in my bag.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    ladysylvialadysylvia Member Posts: 946 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    The part that bothers me is the devs blog saying this is going to be easier and cheaper and making higher rank (8 9 10) enchantments easier. Also there is still people posting that this new system is cheaper and to just refine rank 4 enchantments.
    OK lets look at that
    How many do you get a day, maybe 6?
    So if you farm every day for almost a year and half you will have the refining points you need.
    Then you just have to get another greater enchant for a regent and a coal ward and some additional epic regents maybe from boss drop or buy them for 100k each.

This new system is in no way easier, cheaper or more efficient.
    Remember they are also using this system to upgrade the artifacts. People that have been playing for awhile may have lots of shards and <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> enchants to burn through at first but that still doesnt change the fact that this new system is 2-3x more expensive to produce a higher rank enchant.

Perfect weapon/armor is total easier. Instead of 85 CW you only need 15. Less shards too. Second you can buy a sharandar key for 5k ad, that give you a shard for 2160 RP. Easier farming as before, because you NEED to have the same shards to use them. So fail argument here!
    You have total less failure changes in the Rx enchantments as before.
    You don't need to use only total matching enchantment. R4 azure for R4 azure fusing. Now Rx y for R4 Rp gain. Even shards can used! So you have to say what's broken with the system with calculated the cost, because you say it cost more.

Can someone say what is needed as reagents for R7-->R8 R8-->R9 R9-->R10?
This discussion has been closed.