What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cryptic OFFICIAL Feedback Thread: Hunter Ranger

Comments

• Options
    xmousepadxxmousepadx Member Posts: 381 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    Our feats are amazing, all of them! every path focuses on a different playstyle.
    Our only problem is that our encounters do no dmg and our at-will dmg is kinda bad now!
  • Options
    geoffreysgeoffreys Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I've only started playing the class, so my view is limited. But I agree with the other posters that the class seems awkward in the first few levels. The ranged skills do seem a little overpowered at first, while the lack of melee skills upfront seems disjointed. There seems to be a lack of reliable CC as well, to keep threats at range.

Admittedly I am also biased by the fact that I normally play melee classes and I have some preconceptions about dual-wielding, melee heavy D&D Rangers.

Like other posters have noted, several quest drops are the ranger's melee weapons before he can use them. However, I go the other way than removing the drops. I suggest that the ranger be able to use his melee skills up front.

I realize that TAB skills aren't normally acquired until level 10, but I think an exception for this class would make sense, given how integral the idea of weapon transitions are to the class concept. Granted, balancing the two will be no easy feat.

I haven't had the opportunity to play the melee skills yet to be able to evaluate them.
  • Options
    exelans500exelans500 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Feedback:You say that hunter ranger will have both melee and ranged attack.TR already has melle attacks.I think hunter ranger should have only ranged attacks and buffs..
  • Options
    voltomeyvoltomey Member Posts: 1,052 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    ATM the class needs its skills balanced its ranged option need at least half their dps restored along with the melee buffs that were added then the class would probably be at that sweet spot. But as it stand this class has to high a skill cap with two little reward in being very proficient at it the melee dps got buffed last patch and ranged dps took a nose dive. Witch effectively mad the class wros off then it was at the start at least buff the other at wills we have that are in the paragon path i think rapid and spit shot are the only two that are even wurth a danm
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    giomanach1giomanach1 Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    voltomey I'd be happy with a means to more efficiently and more often break from melee range in order to effectively use actual RANGE attacks that don't toss needles but instead fires arrows.

Shorten the Marauder's Escape cooldown time but then we'll hear all the PvPers moaning how OP the HR is because he's able to continually get out of melee range.
  • Options
    pallierpallier Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I think they should add the strong attacks back but put a cooldown on them to make them non spamable because as it is now stopping and spending 4 to 6 seconds in the same spot bascially means our death if we can't hit hard. all we can do is drop our thorns or something that constantly does damage in an area and try to lure enemies into it... and if the enemies have ranged attacks or large aoe's its impossible to do... I die alot thanks to solo dungeons with enemies that have large aoe hit areas that i can't dodge and i can't get in melee range becaues of the very low damage and very low survivablity.

the class is broken even if it was meant to use both melee and ranged... the class can't survive long enough to take advantage of both and there is no way to dodge most all the monsters after level 50 most either have skills that can't be dodge or ranged attacks that almost kill us instantly... what now Cryptic? Just give up and sell your game to someone that actually knows how to make one. your acts in the name of balance just make everything gimp beyond belief I spent 5 hours in the game today trying to hash out how to make the ranger work with other players and the only advice I kept getting is to go full melee build and use melee and forget about ranged.... that being said... your "balance" didn't work it only ended up being a nerf.

a class that is meant to use both shouldn't have limits on either one. if you use a skill that makes one power up the other... make a way for the other to be used... how do i get back to ranged long enough to use it if i have to spend 10 minutes hitting the enemies just to power up the ranged not like we can switch out our encounters mid fight which means either we equip our root and jump back with the power up or we just equip our attack aoe's and never be able to use ranged attacks.

most other classes TAB button gives them a unique skill or power up that lets them own quickly... HR get daggers that require us to run into the danger that we can't dodge or use without standing still long enough to die. I went through a stack of 212 level 50 health potions trying to finish a solo dungeon died 5 times and I kept trying to use both melee and ranged dodging around hitting when i can but so many enemies had range, knockdown, and HUGE aoe zones that it was pointless to try... a ranger that can't use ranged is just a gimp rogue.

fix the class or give up, sick of trying to figure out your broke Ranger.
    Oh Atari how I miss you!
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited November 2013
    Moderator Notice:
    . . . . . Please stay on the thread. This thread is not for the topic of the Hunter Ranger not being a preferred type of Ranger. This thread is for feedback on the gameplay and mechanics of the Hunter Ranger as it is now in Neverwinter. It is not for opinions which fall outside of these, such as the class not being a full "Archer" ranger or full "Melee" ranger.. . . . . Off-topic posts have been moved and unproductive posts cleansed.

. . . . . Please use the following thread to discuss the varied types of Rangers in D&D:
    . . . . . Ranged Combat" Discussion for the Hunter Ranger Class

. . . . . Don't reply to this Moderator Notice. Instead, contact us via Private Message to discuss Moderation. Thanks!
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    If u use strong grasping roots on a target that is proned, its proned for the duration of the roots.
    So u can prone someone for around 12sec!

Now after the fix/nerf it does over 50% less dmg and only 180 dmg on lvl 60 when u are close in range!
    There isnt a single situation where this skill could have any use!
  • Options
    obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Where did the melee half of this power go?

I spent time today trying out the class further running Ebon Downs from the Temple to the end of the first 4 Barrows. In that time I used the PP at-will quite a bit and Rapid Shot as the second at will. Encounters were Constricting/Thorn Ward/Split the Sky with Archer spec. Initial passives were Lone Wolf and Blade Storm but I realized Lone Wolf was useless and changed to Pack & Blade Storm which had a noticeable impact on improving DPS from at-wills if I stayed close to my companion. Even with that things remained unsatisfactory in terms of general performance. So I respeced and started using Rapid Shot/Aimed Shot/Maruder's Rush/Thorn Ward/Split the Sky (still archer spec). This change was good on the "mini-boss" but then between Forrest Ghost and the Man-At-Arms and a Maruauder's I was able to keep the boss not on me and hit it 3 times with Aimed Shot for the vast majority of my damage. For me this means the class has taken another step backwards with this patch.

I don't have the knowledge to figure out what isn't happening, but I know from observation that the HR is getting weaker with each update.
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • Options
    banaancbanaanc Member Posts: 472 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Feedback - allow us to disable visuals on bows

u can do it anyway with Fashion view, but, if u like to see your armor and scimitars and dont want to see that bow weirdly floating 2 inches from your back there should be an option for that, also would be better for roleplaying melee ranger and such

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Where did the melee half of this power go?

I spent time today trying out the class further running Ebon Downs from the Temple to the end of the first 4 Barrows. In that time I used the PP at-will quite a bit and Rapid Shot as the second at will. Encounters were Constricting/Thorn Ward/Split the Sky with Archer spec. Initial passives were Lone Wolf and Blade Storm but I realized Lone Wolf was useless and changed to Pack & Blade Storm which had a noticeable impact on improving DPS from at-wills if I stayed close to my companion. Even with that things remained unsatisfactory in terms of general performance. So I respeced and started using Rapid Shot/Aimed Shot/Maruder's Rush/Thorn Ward/Split the Sky (still archer spec). This change was good on the "mini-boss" but then between Forrest Ghost and the Man-At-Arms and a Maruauder's I was able to keep the boss not on me and hit it 3 times with Aimed Shot for the vast majority of my damage. For me this means the class has taken another step backwards with this patch.

I don't have the knowledge to figure out what isn't happening, but I know from observation that the HR is getting weaker with each update.

Aspect of the lone wolf doesnt work atm!
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Can you add strong grasping roots to ranged attack chance that would give players who want a strictly ranged play style to set up more attacks.Or boost Nature's Grasp from 5% to mabey 25% and make it strong grapsing roots
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Ok finished of Ebon Downs (except Idris) now and did another respec along the way.

At level 38 (after a little bit of Vellosk) my HR has;
    Attack: 1935
    Crit: 16.9% Severity 75%
    REcharge Increase +1.9%
    AP Gain; +0.9%

Protection 1704
    DR 16.8%
    Deflection Chance: 13.5% Severity 50%

I've stacked Regen, as much as I can find over Life Steal because the individual HP recovery from Life Steal is miniscule (1HP for a typical melee or ranged at will attack (not Aimed Shot)).

Now running;
    Companions: Man-at-Arms (Summoned), Sylph (Active)

Passives: Aspect of the Pack Wolf 3/3 Blade Storm 3/3

Dailies: Seismic Shot 2/3 Forest Ghost 3/3

Encounters: Boar Hide 3/3, Split the Sky 3/3, Thorn Ward 3/3

At-Wills: Rapid Shot 3/3, Aimed Shot 3/3

Feats:
    Toughness 3/3, Weapon Mastery 3/3, Predatory Action 2/5
    Agile Combatant: 3/3
    Endless Assault 3/3 Lucky Skirmisher 3/3
    Disciple of Dexterity 3/3
    Paragon:
    Archer: Black Arrow 5/5, Bloodthirsty 4/5

Tactics:
    Before fight: Boar Hide (gives you and the Man-at-Arms 5 stacks of mitigation)
    Fight Start: Aimed Shot vs weakest add type. This typically kills 1 add.
    While the Man-At-Arms and mob rush to meet each other, Thorn Ward then Split the Sky.
    If the combat is at range still Aimed Shot things down or if they have ranged attacks Rapid Shot the ranged attackers down.
    If the combat is in melee; TAB, Boar Hide, Throw Caution, Thorn Strike, Rapid Strike until everything is dead.

---
    Feedback; General
    With the above arrangement I'm ok with the performance of the class, however it is highly dependent on having that Man-At-Arms out there being a Defender, in comparison I've rarely used anything but the Cleric or Sylph on my other toons in leveling them and never had tactics that depended entirely on the presence of my pet.

My conclusion is that while you can play the ranger at the moment it is now under powered, nothing I have tried yet has fixed this since the last 2 patches.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • Options
    lobo0084lobo0084 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 663 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    Feedback; General
    With the above arrangement I'm ok with the performance of the class, however it is highly dependent on having that Man-At-Arms out there being a Defender, in comparison I've rarely used anything but the Cleric or Sylph on my other toons in leveling them and never had tactics that depended entirely on the presence of my pet.

My conclusion is that while you can play the ranger at the moment it is now under powered, nothing I have tried yet has fixed this since the last 2 patches.

Ranger may be the one class in group content (dungeons) that, as it currently stands, requires there be a tank on the field.

Personally (as a tank class) I feel that this is a great thing. Just wish they could find a way to make it important and almost necessary without making the class so very weak.
    "Every adventurer has two things in common: they don't like dying, and they love getting paid. The rest is just semantics." Brecken, famed mercenary of Baldur's Gate

"D*mn wizards," said Morik the Rogue.

Learn what a GWF and GF really are: The History of Fighters
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Idk if its a bug or intended but prime critical doesnt reduce the recharge cd of hindering shot.
  • Options
    drajandrajan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Melee at low levels still feels like a poor choice compared to range, but this might be because at range it seems a lot easier to avoid taking any damage (while killing faster). If it is largely psychological, what might be some options for making you feel like charging in to melee is a reasonable alternative, even at low levels? For example, what if Grasping Roots had a second property that every melee hit to an enemy suffering from Grasping Roots returned some health? Then you could make the decision to use Grasping Roots to go back to range to kite or stay in melee and use it to regain some health. Or what might be other ways to make melee feel like a reasonable alternative to range without doing it just based on something like DPS?
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    lobo0084 wrote: »
    Ranger may be the one class in group content (dungeons) that, as it currently stands, requires there be a tank on the field.

Personally (as a tank class) I feel that this is a great thing. Just wish they could find a way to make it important and almost necessary without making the class so very weak.

that being said it needs some sort of survivablity that isn't a daily... perhaps a life drain arrow that adds a dot on a target that does damage and returns that as health to the ranger... the heal and damage is based on the attack rating of the ranger. so the dot could do like 200 damage per second for 10 seconds and heal for that ammount and has a 10 second cooldown... that would give you an additional heal thats an encounter to go with your potions that will make things a little better using a cleric companion, pots, and that shot... in melee mod it would do the same thing except it would add a daze which would lower the enemies accuracy for the duration of the effect.

OR

the feat that increases the amount that heals done to the ranger can also increase the rangers total health pool by 2/4/6/8/10% based on the rank giving them more health will let them take more hits and thus survive long enough to kill their targets.
    Oh Atari how I miss you!
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    pallier wrote: »
    that being said it needs some sort of survivablity that isn't a daily... perhaps a life drain arrow that adds a dot on a target that does damage and returns that as health to the ranger... the heal and damage is based on the attack rating of the ranger. so the dot could do like 200 damage per second for 10 seconds and heal for that ammount and has a 10 second cooldown... that would give you an additional heal thats an encounter to go with your potions that will make things a little better using a cleric companion, pots, and that shot... in melee mod it would do the same thing except it would add a daze which would lower the enemies accuracy for the duration of the effect.

OR

the feat that increases the amount that heals done to the ranger can also increase the rangers total health pool by 2/4/6/8/10% based on the rank giving them more health will let them take more hits and thus survive long enough to kill their targets.

Pretty sure they wont bring any new skills, apart from that we dont need extra hp feats or whatever. The only reason why we are so squishy is that we dont do enough dmg to kill stuff fast enough.

Ranger survivability and utility is perfectly fine, just the embarrassing at-will/encounter dmg kills us atm!

tvbt3gok7zo.png

^lvl 60 ranger 13k gs perf.vorpal/r10s
    It's about the Hawk Shots, but even our dc was laughing about the aimedshot crit and told me his daunting light does even more sooo...
  • Options
    tickdofftickdoff Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    xmousepadx wrote: »
    Idk if its a bug or intended but prime critical doesnt reduce the recharge cd of hindering shot.

Used to reduce cooldowns by 1.0 sec per crit, as of today it is 0.5 sec per crit. Did not see that as a documented change, but I can't really argue with it. i was consistantly getting 19 second powers back in about 6 seconds. (using Stormstep action and the melee skill that reduces ranged cooldowns as well)
  • Options
    sadistsadist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Gameplay video I posted for those struggling with the class or curious about how the class handles at level 60. http://youtu.be/HZPGFry_CiQ
    fozhug-sig01.png
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    lobo0084 wrote: »

As a player with a GF and GWF at 60 I'm still not OK with the Ranger requiring one to be in the party. The ranger on the other hand does love to have one in the party, with powers that are maximized then the mobs group up around the tank and an at-will that allows them to attack from behind the tank in melee the Ranger loves a good tank.

But it shouldn't require one.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Feedback: After giving it some thought, it might be worth while to have one or two cross over at-wills for each stance.

That would take care of the problem of no melee capability before level 10, as well as further facilitate those who have a preference toward ranged or melee still automatically engaging skills from the other stance, at least to reacquire their preferred distance
  • Options
    eyebreaker7eyebreaker7 Member Posts: 621 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I've just started a new Hunter Ranger but I can't figure out how to switch to his melee weapon. Do you have to be a certain level or something?
    I've looked in the Powers tab and all I see are powers for the bow.
    I'm gonna rip your head off and make it my puppet! (NwN2)
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I've just started a new Hunter Ranger but I can't figure out how to switch to his melee weapon. Do you have to be a certain level or something?

Yes it there tab skill so you need to be lvl 10
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sadistsadist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Must be level 10.
    fozhug-sig01.png
  • Options
    eyebreaker7eyebreaker7 Member Posts: 621 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Ok thank you. Much appreciated.
    I'm gonna rip your head off and make it my puppet! (NwN2)
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    <font wrote:
    Gameplay video I posted for those struggling with the class or curious about how the class handles at level 60. http://youtu.be/HZPGFry_CiQ

Hands up for ur work of making a video +1 for that!
    Sadly u were fighting like the easiest mobs in the game and also with some kind of tank? pet.
    Also ur gear was pretty good but apart from that, it mostly shows how long it takes u to kill a single elite mob.
    Every other class with like 11k+gs would just fly trough that foundry and u even have to kite a bit.

Dont get me wrong, im not saying u do something wrong but this shows me again, that ur dps is very very weak.

I tested it today in the foundry solo grind against single elite mobs with my ranger who is even better geared than urs, with perf.vorpal and full r10s and the killspeed was embarrassing!
    Even when opening with aimedshot and using every encounter setup it took me ~ 5 times as long as on my cw!! to kill a single mob.
    I dont even want to compare it to my tr, who kills these mobs with 2.5 duellist furrys!
    Even my sent gwf with only t1 weapon kills these mobs master....
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I would still like the ability to move while using the at will skill quick shot... that way we can actually move out of aoes, pathed attacks, and away from massive enemies trying to surround us and still do some damage.
    Oh Atari how I miss you!
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Feedback: I just got to level 10 and unlocked the melee skills. Now the class makes sense to me. Before, given that so much of the combat is at close quarters and your evade/CC abilities are limited, the class was awkward.

But, with the ability to transition to melee opened up, changing ranges and stances seems natural.

With that being said, the melee capability should be unlocked up front. It's already a hybrid class with no CD on the TAB skill, so might as well have it from the beginning.

As it stands now, players new to the class are leveraged to think ranged only when they first create a ranger. Then, they have to retrain themselves to use the melee skills.

Just give it up front so that players are learning to think and play in multiple ranges from the very beginning.
  • Options
    rakthisrakthis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013

If, as it appears, the Hunter Ranger is supposed to function differently from other classes with its quasi-hybrid nature, then...

Consider balancing based on the specialization/paragon feat trees working differently. This might also make up for the fact that we have one paragon path. Instead of all feats having just bonuses, consider granting the Archer path more bonuses to ranged options //and nerfing melee options in return//. For example: You take a feat that grants 1/2/3/4/5% ranged damage, but that same feat gives you -1/2/3/4/5% melee damage. Allow those who wish to specialize to specialize, instead of being forced to nerf down both aspects of a power to bring about balance for the class, which leaves no one terribly happy.

This discussion has been closed.