test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cryptic OFFICIAL Feedback Thread: Hunter Ranger

Comments

• pallierpallier Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I completely agree with this idea. I love pretty much everything about Split Shot, but it feels like it needs to be an ability acquired at a higher level. I think the biggest thing about the hunter ranger being OP is simply that you have an effective AoE so early in the game (and a lot of the other posts here seem to support that idea).
    the reason HR gets that aoe is that all the other classes special tab power does something unique that gives them a special ability that modifies all their current powers in some way or allows them to negated damage... HR tab power just switches combat style it does not boost powers or modify your status... so they gave HR a way to deal with the hundreds of adds that come at you in solo missions... HR only has 4 aoe skills and 1 of them requires you to be hit, another is in an incredibly tight area, and the last one is a daily that requires you to build points.
    Oh Atari how I miss you!
  • warzogwarzog Member Posts: 128 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    I think that the worst part of the HR is it's high vulnerability to interrupts.
    Every class gets interrupted from time to time, but it seems like almost all of the HR's skills get interrupted.
    Combine that with the lengthy activation animations/times of swapping stances, Aimed Shot, Electric Shot, Split Shot, Rain of Arrows, Thorn Ward, Seismic Shot, etcetera, the HR has a very hard time doing much of anything.
    Agains most minor mobs, it's not a problem, but going solo against most boss' is tedious, to say the very least.
    Go for the eyes, Boo! GO FOR THE EYES!!!
    (Where's a Miniature Giant Space Hamster when you need one?)
    edited November 2013
    warzog wrote: »
    I think that the worst part of the HR is it's high vulnerability to interrupts.
    Every class gets interrupted from time to time, but it seems like almost all of the HR's skills get interrupted.
    Combine that with the lengthy activation animations/times of swapping stances, Aimed Shot, Electric Shot, Split Shot, Rain of Arrows, Thorn Ward, Seismic Shot, etcetera, the HR has a very hard time doing much of anything.
    Agains most minor mobs, it's not a problem, but going solo against most boss' is tedious, to say the very least.

this is the reason why i said they should make the quick shot at will power able to be used while you move but at half the normal movement speed... this way you could still fight those creatures that have that massive knockdowns, blast that interupt, and wouldn't have to always worry about if you could kill your target... sure it would take a while to kill them with quick shots but it won't leave you on your back hoping you could get a charged shot off before they hit you with an interupt
    Oh Atari how I miss you!
  • voltomeyvoltomey Member Posts: 1,052 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    pallier wrote: »
    this is the reason why i said they should make the quick shot at will power able to be used while you move but at half the normal movement speed... this way you could still fight those creatures that have that massive knockdowns, blast that interupt, and wouldn't have to always worry about if you could kill your target... sure it would take a while to kill them with quick shots but it won't leave you on your back hoping you could get a charged shot off before they hit you with an interupt

While being able to move while using Rapid shot would be a gods blessing from heaven you would also need to add it to a CW cause they would cry foul cuas MM roots them in place also. i dont see how your getting interupted just time shifts accordingly but atm preview server is so laggy with all the seismic shot glitches its annoying. if your also trying to play primarily ranged i would suggest using fox cunning its beautifull force dodge so far Fox and ME skill are a god send for the last few lvl up their ranged and melee version are just perfect and if your looking for ranged playstyle Fox Cunning is right up your alley.
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • maxillion2maxillion2 Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The last skill in the nature tree what exactly dose it do a lil confused on the wording
  • slambitslambit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 282 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    My bet is that the last skill in nature tree only effects point 2 and 3 in the powers it lists, point 1 gives you and a team mate full effect, point 2 adds 50% to 2 group members, point 3 adds +2 more groupmembers at 50%.
    Those last 4 groupmembers would now get full effect, unless i misunderstood the tool tip on both powers and feat which is more than likely :p

hmm wonder if combat companions count or its just player characters?
    edited November 2013
    Starting to wonder if i can boost my over all dmg with lightning enchantment on HR
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • draventakdraventak Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    first things first.

1. the holding of the blades.. looks way to much like the TR. one upside down and one backwards.. I think they should both be facing forward both right side up. like the boss in the Drow area.
    2 the blades are a bit short. look alot like daggers. they need to be swords,
    3. the bow on the back is fine but maybe fix all the tops that do not have the quiver on them. otherwise the bow floating out behind his back looks a bit silly.
    4. the uniforms are kind of blah.. the TR has some awesome leather looking costumes. its hard to make your character look like they should when the armor is on other classes but not on your own. maybe have it where u can transmute all looks of armor to different classes so everyone can get the looks they like?

as far as game play goes i like it alot. to me its not OP. others may disagree but i see everyone complaining about every class being OP in one way or another. just some ppl really know how to play their classes and can use all you have given them to their best advantage.

I guess the biggest thing i see is the TR look with the blades. that really is a down for me. it wont stop me from making a HR or playing it but just bums me out that it could of had a diff look than the TR.
  • shanawdithitshanawdithit Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    1463022_403585063077491_464254765_n_zps397a2a3a.jpg

i got this picture from facebook , what do you folks think
  • warzogwarzog Member Posts: 128 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    1463022_403585063077491_464254765_n_zps397a2a3a.jpg

i got this picture from facebook , what do you folks think

THAT's the way the bow should be! Not floating by the neck. Flat against the back, quiver in the center of the bow.
    Go for the eyes, Boo! GO FOR THE EYES!!!
    (Where's a Miniature Giant Space Hamster when you need one?)
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    A lot of GF shields also float.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • lobo0084lobo0084 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 663 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    A lot of GF shields also float.

On the other hand, GWF swords could be an inch or to FURTHER from the back. They constantly clip with any cloak we have, and often our own legs and thighs.
    "Every adventurer has two things in common: they don't like dying, and they love getting paid. The rest is just semantics." Brecken, famed mercenary of Baldur's Gate

"D*mn wizards," said Morik the Rogue.

Learn what a GWF and GF really are: The History of Fighters
  • trampsvktrampsvk Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I really miss the quiver with arrows on my back ... and really nice picture :)
    edited November 2013
    I would rather them work on the the gameplay first before they fix the graphics... graphics don't affect your survival.
    Oh Atari how I miss you!
  • regnilo01regnilo01 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    how does grasping roots work anyways? I've used hindering shot but it does not seem to work at all
  • rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    regnilo01 wrote: »
    how does grasping roots work anyways? I've used hindering shot but it does not seem to work at all

It does work. It hits your target with roots that slowly pull the target back. If you look from the side you can see the roots. I think the target also gets immunity from a 2nd shot working on it for a limited time.
  • regnilo01regnilo01 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    ah ok. didn't notice that. hindering shot should work faster or something it is not very good at holding enemy's back from me
  • slambitslambit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 282 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    hindering shot is weak grasping roots, i think there's a melee attack with strong grasping root.
  • obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Yeah if you want to see Grasping Roots at work then the best combo is this;
    Tab to Melee; Maruder's Rush, Hindering Shot
    Tab to Ranged; Maruder's Rush
    Move where you are standing left or right (unless you ended up on a hill) and you'll see the grasping roots and be able to see the rubber band effect it creates.

If you are in the Tower District when you get the first quests there (Rescue Guards/Kill 25 Orcs) as you climb the hill the order of enemies is Grunts + Axe Throwers -> Orc+ 2 Wolves -> Captive Guard Set (optional Ogre behind them) -> 4 Grunts. You can get around up on the hill above the Orc + 2 Wolves and wait for him to respawn - from the hill you can also shoot him with Hindering Shot and watch the effect of Weak Grasping Roots. In essence it stretches so far that the enemy will usually reach you in melee with typical encounter distances making Weak Grasping Roots ineffective.

Weak Grasping Roots is also useless on fast moving attackers like Battletested Orcs or any other "instant move" enemy but strong holds them ok.

One of the improvements that could be made for Rangers is to have Grasping Roots = Current Strong Grasping Roots and Strong Grasping Roots = Rooted (ie immobilize the target)
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
    edited November 2013
    Grasping roots work pretty well at keeping stuff in your rain of arrows while you circle around shooting at it.

Neverwinter Census 2017

edited November 2013
    Strong might, but weak lets them escape.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    edited November 2013
    Strong might, but weak lets them escape.

My technique is a very tight circle (effectively point-blank archery). The roots aren't the only thing keeping them penned in, but it helps hinder their mobility.

Neverwinter Census 2017

edited November 2013
    or just simply remove weak version and use strong on both attacks, much less confusion over tooltips then, also it would be nice if they'd actually do a tooltip on the roots :)
  • indolo238indolo238 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 51
    edited November 2013
    Weak grasping roots isn't useless. It'll slow the advance of the enemy hit with it, long enough to get another attack in (extra aimed shot is death). At max range, it can protect you from big enemy attacks with a buildup. It's funny to see the enemy struggle to run to you while taking arrows to the face, then reach you and start it's big attack while grasping roots is pulling it and it's red circle back out from under your feet.

Hindering shot doesn't leave my bar. It does decent damage with short cooldown and quick activation, and after understanding how grasping roots works, even the weak grasping roots is frequently useful to me. I specced for range, and hindering shots helps me maintain that range a bit longer at the start of a fight. Hindering Strike is just awesome.
  • werealchemistwerealchemist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    pallier wrote: »
    I would rather them work on the the gameplay first before they fix the graphics... graphics don't affect your survival.

Yeah it's two different teams of people. The people that do 3D modeling and graphics are not the same people as the coding team.
    21.jpg
    edited November 2013
    indolo238 wrote: »
    Weak grasping roots isn't useless. It'll slow the advance of the enemy hit with it, long enough to get another attack in (extra aimed shot is death). At max range, it can protect you from big enemy attacks with a buildup. It's funny to see the enemy struggle to run to you while taking arrows to the face, then reach you and start it's big attack while grasping roots is pulling it and it's red circle back out from under your feet.

Hindering shot doesn't leave my bar. It does decent damage with short cooldown and quick activation, and after understanding how grasping roots works, even the weak grasping roots is frequently useful to me. I specced for range, and hindering shots helps me maintain that range a bit longer at the start of a fight. Hindering Strike is just awesome.

Its a hell of allot more noticeable when strong grasping roots are on a target then when weak ones are on a target. weak root targets still move to you but sort of bungee back when they stretch the roots as far as they can go. If i am in ranged mode i just ME back and if ME is on CD ill use it melee mode on a enemy that's attacking another teammate to get away fro the monster that's chasing me rather then rely on weak grasping roots to save my life.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • draventakdraventak Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    it would be nice to be able to Transmute other class gear to use for a look for example

TR and HR
    GF and GWF
    CW and DC

each of these could transmute for each other only in looks, not the stats. if that could be possiable. that way you could have a new look to each class but keep their own stats.

reason i would like this is that I like to create Book Characters as close as i can make them from the books. here is one of my toons i have made. yes it is Drizzt. and i know ill get alot of <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> over it but its fun for me. each to their own enjoyments. here is a couple of pics of him enjoy
  • lobo0084lobo0084 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 663 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    draventak wrote: »
    it would be nice to be able to Transmute other class gear to use for a look for example

TR and HR
    GF and GWF
    CW and DC

each of these could transmute for each other only in looks, not the stats. if that could be possiable. that way you could have a new look to each class but keep their own stats.

reason i would like this is that I like to create Book Characters as close as i can make them from the books. here is one of my toons i have made. yes it is Drizzt. and i know ill get alot of <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> over it but its fun for me. each to their own enjoyments. here is a couple of pics of him enjoy

I agree with this, with one reservation: don't have us start looting the other classes gear on the class-specific drops (such as CTA and Dungeon Delve chests). We can aquire the gear from other players for this transmutation capability.
    "Every adventurer has two things in common: they don't like dying, and they love getting paid. The rest is just semantics." Brecken, famed mercenary of Baldur's Gate

"D*mn wizards," said Morik the Rogue.

Learn what a GWF and GF really are: The History of Fighters
  • xmousepadxxmousepadx Member Posts: 381 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    Aspect of the Lone Wolf STILL isnt fixed and does nothing....
    edited November 2013
    Made a new Wood Elf HR to see how it goes, wow does the "looking down" thing become obvious with her. I used the default appearance from the bottom right corner of the choices. This is very pronounced and distracting, even if its supposed to symbolise "studying the ground for tracks" or something its just too much.

Incidentally for those tracking build ideas this one has;
    No Campfire
    13 Str 10 Con 19 Dex
    13 Int 13 Wis 11 Cha

Figured I would investigate how Recharge speed affects performance. :)

Bug: Split Shot Animation
    This now locks the character in the shot well after you have released the mouse button.

Bug: Shift
    This now locks the character in the shift well after you have finished the move preventing you from shifting and either moving or attacking for a noticeable moment.

Bug: Split Shot Tool Tip
    Currently reports 1-1 damage.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
This discussion has been closed.