Install Arc
Options

Cryptic OFFICIAL Feedback Thread: Hunter Ranger

Comments

• Options
    lobo0084lobo0084 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 663 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    rhoric wrote: »
    I have been a pen and paper player for 30 years. I don't do PvP as there are people that are so full of themselves that it isn't worth the headache to deal with PvP. I have been playing MMOs since 2000 and have seen games that have PvP in them get trashed by the PvP community. And once again that is happening here. I am losing all the enjoyment here due to the majority of PvP crowd enforcing their views on the classes and the devs listening. Devs need to listen to the PvE crowd also and they didn't in this case.

Common, once again. It's very biased in segregating an 'us' versus 'them'. As if those same players aren't the same one's you run dungeons with every day.

This game does not support a 'PvP Only' playerbase.

It's possible you've never PvP'd. Or if you did, you saw the competitiveness and more-often-than-not friendly banter between players as insulting or rude (because nobody ever cusses someone else out in a dungeon for not healing as well as they should, or not tanking the aggro enough, etc). Maybe you just count all PvPers as kids and think it can't possibly be something two reasonable adults would partake in.

Problem with all this, is that the same derogatory thoughts you have towards a specific style of player, can be applied in equal measure to all players. This isn't representative of PvPers. The call for nerfs, the call for changes, the wish to break the game to help only themselves: this isn't just pvpers at all, it's universal.

You don't think a single CW or TR who plays only PvE hasn't gotten in this very thread and asked for HR to be nerfed, hoping that they wouldn't lose their place in PvE? I know of three, personally, in this very thread. One who's made multiple posts on this forum, blatantly asking for nerfs. And he doesn't touch PvP at all.

It's hard to handle part of the community you are a member of segregating you off, openly wishing you wouldn't play the way you love to play, simply because you enjoy a different part of the game than them. I can't take those rants any more serious than the players who want crafting removed because they personally hate doing it and only house wives and OCD nerds craft in video games. Or those who think adding achievements and collections are a waste of space, because only the killing of monsters counts.

Lastly: In the MMO world, I can name more games which have been closed and are no longer here because they attempted to limit and remove PvP, than I can games that are closed or removed because they expanded PvP. Sadly for your argument, the challenge and replayability associated with PvP does a far better job of attracting and keeping gamers playing a game, than pushing them away.
    "Every adventurer has two things in common: they don't like dying, and they love getting paid. The rest is just semantics." Brecken, famed mercenary of Baldur's Gate

"D*mn wizards," said Morik the Rogue.

Learn what a GWF and GF really are: The History of Fighters
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I wouldn't be surprised if some people have already stopped playing the HR due to all this nerfing of the class. And if less people are playing it then there won't be much feedback and the class is dead before it goes Live.

The developers fault for testing a lower-damage build, or the player testers' fault for investing so much emotion into something which isn't even finalized?

Devs are paid to release good product. Players are doing this for free. Should the devs feel forced to *possibly* (and that's a bit possibly) break the game to keep a section of the playerbase happy?

Would you like to see the broken GWF's with massive damage output and perma-unstoppable still in the game? Because they hurt a lot of feelings and run off a lot of players doing that, too.

Sounds to me like the better option is to not do public testing.
    "Every adventurer has two things in common: they don't like dying, and they love getting paid. The rest is just semantics." Brecken, famed mercenary of Baldur's Gate

• Options
    rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    There you go again, assuming things. I don't even do dungeons cause there are still players that are full of themselves. The main crowd that asked for nerfs are PvPers. PvE players gave feedback that was ignored.

HR is unplayable. Trash mobs that normally would be killed in a couple hits are taking 3 or 4 hits to kill after this patch. How is that enjoyable. Other classes can kill trash mobs in a couple hits. But us HRs can't anymore. How is that fair.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    There you go again, assuming things. I don't even do dungeons cause there are still players that are full of themselves. The main crowd that asked for nerfs are PvPers. PvE players gave feedback that was ignored.

HR is unplayable. Trash mobs that normally would be killed in a couple hits are taking 3 or 4 hits to kill after this patch. How is that enjoyable. Other classes can kill trash mobs in a couple hits. But us HRs can't anymore. How is that fair.

Wait, how do you know the main crowd that asked for nerfs are PvPers? And since I have seen PvE players feedback which suggested reducing ranged damage, obviously it wasn't altogether ignored.

I'm actually not arguing that the class has been severely nerfed and may now be completely borked. I'm arguing this entitled hate towards a certain playstyle that's based on very little actual fact.

The devs made the changes. The rest of us just gave suggestions, offered opinions, complimented or complained.

I'm fine with trying to get the HR more damage back. I'm not fine with the 'you people' kinda comments, because they are ignorant and are more focused on hating other players than helping.

• Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Long, passionate thread with a lot of good, reasonable feedback for and against the recent changes to the HR.

Here's my straight-forward, simple input on the nerving subject:

I liked the Hunter Ranger I created last week.
    Had a lot of fun with it.
    Then I played it last night and this morning.
    It is not only not fun anymore, it's downright unpleasurable for me now.

That's all I have to say on it.
    I'm done playing HR until the next patch to see what else changes.

~shrugs~
  • Options
    djaruddjarud Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 62
    edited November 2013
    Ranger adjustments feedback:

Either way it goes, the new adjustments are far too drastic. I test on a fairly normal version of my Ranger, no extra copies made to get max enchants or the like, covered in green and blue gear with a few rank 5s. Many people on the test/preview server have maxed out enchantments on their characters which imo is not a very valuable test model for the mass of players. All that being said, the reductions have taken my current Ranger from being pretty much on par with Wiz class at ranged dmg with the skills that were reduced, to being very sub-par at best.

Yes, very early on, about levels 1-20, the class feels about one shot over the top, but once you get up around 35-50, it starts to feel less potent in general. These knee-jerk reductions have taken the class from, being a tactical placement class for play, to being an A.D sink for Injury kits.

Personally, I think the reductions need be reset to prior settings, and the rest of the class skills need be balanced out to be on par with their respective tiers. Taking a Striker class and trying to force it to be a control class, without any proper, and truly applicable Control skills, is not good mechanics. In similar gear, my lvl 35 Wiz now very much outperforms my level 53 Ranger.... That's just not good at all.
    Some things are meant to remain lost.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    The 60% cuts should have been 30%, the 30% should have been 15%, etc.

I am really hoping they are doing it artillery style and "walking" the round onto the target:
    Extreme change to the left, then a little less extreme back to the right, then a little less extreme back to the left ... back and forth until they hit the satisfactory target. The problem is these changes come too slowly. They feel like their permanent when (hopefully) they arent'
  • Options
    warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I have been a pen and paper player for 30 years. I don't do PvP as there are people that are so full of themselves that it isn't worth the headache to deal with PvP. I have been playing MMOs since 2000 and have seen games that have PvP in them get trashed by the PvP community. And once again that is happening here. I am losing all the enjoyment here due to the majority of PvP crowd enforcing their views on the classes and the devs listening. Devs need to listen to the PvE crowd also and they didn't in this case.

u would not think like this if u are gwf or gf who lost spots in pve groups because of broken op cws and so would lose it trs to if hr did come in broken op condition i which it was
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    warpet wrote: »
    u would not think like this if u are gwf or gf who lost spots in pve groups because of broken op cws and so would lose it trs to if hr did come in broken op condition i which it was

I'm not sure if HR was broken or overpowered. I know the early levels left you feeling as if the ranged attacks were more powerful than anything any other class could bring to the table, including the strong CW (I hate playing CW because I personally feel it is terribly unbalanced for damage and range ratios).

I do think that TR's, and in some cases CW's, are going to have to share seats with the HR a little bit when it comes to queue's. I think that's going to be natural, and should be. If the HR can do almost the exact same thing the TR can do, trading stealth for extra mobility, combat advantage for range ... that would be a solid system.

• Options
    tickdofftickdoff Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I wouldn't be surprised if some people have already stopped playing the HR due to all this nerfing of the class. And if less people are playing it then there won't be much feedback and the class is dead before it goes Live.

If that is the case then the people that stopped playing the HR have ABSOLUTELY NO RIGHT TO COMPLAIN ABOUT IT.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    While I think they over-nerfed a few of the powers, my lvl 60 HR is still killing everything quite easily. I have been running around the Dread Ring for the last few days and I find that I am still having NO problems killing any group that I come across, even 2 or 3 groups pulled at once present little difficulty.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    tickdoff wrote: »
    If that is the case then the people that stopped playing the HR have ABSOLUTELY NO RIGHT TO COMPLAIN ABOUT IT.

Agreed. It's just testing, not like anything is going to last after this goes live. If they want to make the class better, they'll keep helping.

• Options
    warzogwarzog Member Posts: 128 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    A wierd side effect of the nerfs:
    Pre-nerf it took around 3 or 4 mobs to fill your AP to use your 100% AP dailies.
    Post-nerf your AP is maxed and the 100% dailies are recharged by the time you finish with one mob.
    Go for the eyes, Boo! GO FOR THE EYES!!!
    (Where's a Miniature Giant Space Hamster when you need one?)
  • Options
    werealchemistwerealchemist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    After the nerf fest i was forced to respec to a primarily melee build to keep playing and i have found that a lot of the powers i previously though were craptastic or unusable are pretty decent for a different playstyle

I now use

rain of arrows/rain of swords-Ranged is a small Aoe DoT but as a melee ranger it is usable to just stand in while attempting to cut down enemies Cast time still too long though makes it hard to utilize. however the melee version is a big AoE Dot that is very useful.

Aimed Shot/Aimed Strike - can still only use the ranged version once per encounter and it's still fairly useless overall but Aimed Strike is a very useful DoT

These abilities are ones that i discarded as useless in Ranged Spec and they had no place on my action bar

I find it odd that these powers that are meant for ranged combat, are spectacularly better for melee.
    But, I want to play ranged combat that's why i play a Ranger as it stands now the nerf was too heavy the class can adapt well to these changes but they seem to have just pigeon holed them into melee. I already have 2 level 60 TRs, if i want to play a dual-wielding striker class i will play them.
    21.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    warzog wrote: »
    A wierd side effect of the nerfs:
    Pre-nerf it took around 3 or 4 mobs to fill your AP to use your 100% AP dailies.
    Post-nerf your AP is maxed and the 100% dailies are recharged by the time you finish with one mob.

Huh. If the dailies are really just half-dailies I'd go with that. I'm not used to using my dailies very much to be truthful about it. I often forget to use it even. If I can use it more often then I might get the habit (half... daily, get it?) ;-)

Mebbee I'll have a look-see tonight. But other than this, HR just isn;t as much fun anymore (for me) as the Wizzie is.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    But other than this, HR just isn;t as much fun anymore (for me) as the Wizzie is.
    Yeah, I find myself playing like a skiddish cat, hiding, jumping, and moving extra cautiously because even the minor mobs are a pain to kill.

Edit:
    I might add that we need a lot more HR gear, NOW! My level 35 HR is still wearing level 28 armor, because I haven't found anything better.

Edit 2:
    I think my Cleric companion is now (post-nerf) doing more damage than I am, per attack, that is.
  • Options
    edited November 2013

We have every right to complain cause they broke the class we have been waiting for.
  • Options
    sadistsadist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    warzog wrote: »
    Yeah, I find myself playing like a skiddish cat, hiding, jumping, and moving extra cautiously because even the minor mobs are a pain to kill.

Edit:
    I might add that we need a lot more HR gear, NOW! My level 35 HR is still wearing level 28 armor, because I haven't found anything better.

Edit 2:
    I think my Cleric companion is now (post-nerf) doing more damage than I am, per attack, that is.
    Unfortunately, based on prior responses to community feedback all they (devs, etc...) will see in reading your post is, Cleric pets need to be toned down.
    fozhug-sig01.png
  • Options
    sadistsadist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    While I think they over-nerfed a few of the powers, my lvl 60 HR is still killing everything quite easily. I have been running around the Dread Ring for the last few days and I find that I am still having NO problems killing any group that I come across, even 2 or 3 groups pulled at once present little difficulty.
    Same can be said for all other classes playing in that zone. Question is, as a DPS (Striker) class, are you killing these mobs as quickly as the others of the same archetype? In their current state, Rogues are going to snack on Rangers like M&M's.
    fozhug-sig01.png
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Ranger feedback, damage output log comparison to a Wizard class 20 levels lower, and similarly geared. Both are in level equivalent greens, and blues.

CW log at level 33:

[Combat (Self)] Critical Hit! Your Entangling Force deals 551 Arcane to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Critical Hit! Your Entangling Force deals 551 Arcane to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Your Conduit of Ice deals 165 Cold to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Your Conduit of Ice deals 163 Cold to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Your Conduit of Ice deals 175 Cold to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Your Sudden Storm deals 1251 Lightning to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Critical Hit! Your Magic Missile deals 256 Arcane to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Your Conduit of Ice deals 177 Cold to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Your Magic Missile deals 157 Arcane to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Your Magic Missile deals 160 Arcane to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Your Magic Missile deals 158 Arcane to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Your Magic Missile deals 164 Arcane to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Your Sudden Storm deals 51 Lightning to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Your Sudden Storm Arc deals 55 Lightning to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Your Conduit of Ice deals 175 Cold to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Your Magic Missile deals 171 Arcane to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Your Conduit of Ice deals 177 Cold to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Critical Hit! Your Ray of Frost deals 210 (200) Cold to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Your Sudden Storm deals 53 (51) Lightning to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Your Sudden Storm Arc deals 57 Lightning to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Your Ray of Frost deals 137 (130) Cold to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Critical Hit! Your Ray of Frost deals 244 (232) Cold to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Your Ray of Frost deals 138 (132) Cold to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Your Sudden Storm deals 53 (51) Lightning to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Your Sudden Storm Arc deals 53 Lightning to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Critical Hit! Your Ray of Frost deals 253 (241) Cold to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Your Ray of Frost deals 131 (125) Cold to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Your Ray of Frost deals 146 (139) Cold to Target Dummy.

Ranger log at level 53:

[Combat (Self)] Critical Hit! Your Thorn Ward deals 1063 (1042) Physical to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Your Thorn Ward deals 615 (592) Physical to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Your Rapid Shot deals 531 (501) Physical to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Critical Hit! Your Thorn Ward deals 1052 (993) Physical to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Critical Hit! Your Rapid Shot deals 1014 (957) Physical to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Critical Hit! Your Thorn Ward deals 1046 (969) Physical to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Your Split Shot deals 1025 Physical to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Your Split Shot deals 1152 (1067) Physical to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Critical Hit! Your Thorn Ward deals 1133 (1030) Physical to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Your Thorn Ward deals 656 (586) Physical to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Your Thorn Ward deals 632 (555) Physical to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Your Split Shot deals 91 Physical to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Critical Hit! Your Split Shot deals 194 Physical to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Your Split Shot deals 116 (102) Physical to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Critical Hit! Your Thorn Ward deals 1160 (1000) Physical to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Your Split Shot deals 65 Physical to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Your Split Shot deals 67 Physical to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Your Split Shot deals 78 (67) Physical to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Your Thorn Ward deals 658 (558) Physical to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Your Rapid Shot deals 636 (539) Physical to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Your Rapid Shot deals 565 (479) Physical to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Your Thorn Ward deals 720 (600) Physical to Target Dummy.

Split Shot only:

[Combat (Self)] Your Split Shot deals 64 Physical to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Critical Hit! Your Split Shot deals 116 Physical to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Critical Hit! Your Split Shot deals 125 Physical to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Critical Hit! Your Split Shot deals 18 Physical to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Your Split Shot deals 10 Physical to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Your Split Shot deals 10 Physical to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Critical Hit! Your Split Shot deals 145 Physical to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Critical Hit! Your Split Shot deals 137 Physical to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Critical Hit! Your Split Shot deals 152 Physical to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Your Split Shot deals 98 Physical to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Your Split Shot deals 99 Physical to Target Dummy.

[Combat (Self)] Your Split Shot deals 100 Physical to Target Dummy.

A level 53 Ranger is in all effectiveness, out-shined by level 33 Wiz...
  • Options
    mio1968mio1968 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 46
    edited November 2013
    Djarud, it seems you have Twin-Blade Storm slotted. It is bugged, it cancels all regular damage and only applies its own 4/8/12%. Unequip it and switch stances a few times. This happens anytime you equip Twin-Blade Storm and hit more than two opoonents. It has been reported in this thread.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    My 60 HR is quite survivable, on par with my CW. While the HR lacks the control of the CW (imagine that) the mobility of the HR is excellent. I maintain that the nerfs to Split the Sky and Thorn Ward were too heavy, but I do think that a minor (maybe 10%) nerf was warranted. The actual nerf which we received is too much, but the class is still playable, and is still potent. If you know what you are doing.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    <font wrote:
    Same can be said for all other classes playing in that zone. Question is, as a DPS (Striker) class, are you killing these mobs as quickly as the others of the same archetype? In their current state, Rogues are going to snack on Rangers like M&M's.

Yes, i am killing them almost as quickly, but with better defenses. Thorn Ward and Split the Sky were over nerfed, as was Split Shot, but saying that the nerfs "ruined" the class is fallacious.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    mio1968 wrote: »
    Djarud, it seems you have Twin-Blade Storm slotted. It is bugged, it cancels all regular damage and only applies its own 4/8/12%. Unequip it and switch stances a few times. This happens anytime you equip Twin-Blade Storm and hit more than two opoonents. It has been reported in this thread.

Good catch, thanks for that. Did so, yet the increase was not much, (Lone Wolf + Falcon) I was getting around 400 avg, which is better, but in no means good, and still not on par with the Characters level vs. my Wiz. Use of just Rapid, and use of just Split separately on mobs one level lesser in Rothe VAlley, mobs which last night were 3-8 hits to kill are taking upwards of near twenty two to kill.
  • Options
    thethundercrackthethundercrack Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    bug:encounter: Hindering shot

For some reason when I go to put a point into Hindering Shot, the game does not recognize that a point was spent, and therefore, I cannot slot the power.
  • Options
    valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    My Crafted Gemmed Bow Vorpal wielding Ranger still can reach damage near 20K with his bow.....just not as frequent. I've changed the specs on my Ranger bout 10 times trying out different builds. The recent changes has made me decide to go for the hybrid style build.........which hybrid style....well that's another 20 sided die to kick around. Going all out Archery will get you into trouble when ya get mobbed.

Rangers still kicks EVIL's backside, ya just have to be smarter about it. :p
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    bug:encounter: Hindering shot

For some reason when I go to put a point into Hindering Shot, the game does not recognize that a point was spent, and therefore, I cannot slot the power.

It wasn't just that skill. It was any skill on my HR. I actually deleted that HR and started a new one but was unable to reproduce the bug. There is a separate topic in the preview bug forum that I started last night about this.
  • Options
    imsmithyimsmithy Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    This ^ +1 , its a new class on a test server , the entire reason it is on the test server is so that they can mess about with damage output without ruining peoples real efforts on the live server , the class has only been playable what 2 weeks? I can't believe people seem to have let themselves believe that no alterations would be made to the class .There is probably at least two more patches on test before the Ranger sees daylight on live so no doubt they will add damage back to the Rangers skills that were nerfed slowly over the next couple of weeks until they reach a spot they see is fair.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    imsmithy wrote: »
    This ^ +1 , its a new class on a test server , the entire reason it is on the test server is so that they can mess about with damage output without ruining peoples real efforts on the live server , the class has only been playable what 2 weeks? I can't believe people seem to have let themselves believe that no alterations would be made to the class .There is probably at least two more patches on test before the Ranger sees daylight on live so no doubt they will add damage back to the Rangers skills that were nerfed slowly over the next couple of weeks until they reach a spot they see is fair.

I guess the fact that they announced that it was READY and that we could check it out on the PREVIEW server made folks think it actually was READY, and not still in BETA, on a beta TEST server.

Edit:
    That's why you get to select between: [Neverwinter]-live server, [NeverwinterPreview]-Preview server. and [Owlbear]-the BETA TESTING server.
  • Options
    commanderkahlaincommanderkahlain Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Bug: Powers: Cannot Buy powers
    Cannot spend Power Points beyond the sixth one...

Looks like Rhoric and Thundercrack had the same issue, earlier. Any known way to fix it without deleting the toon?
This discussion has been closed.