What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cryptic OFFICIAL Feedback Thread: Hunter Ranger

Comments

• Options
    xmousepadxxmousepadx Member Posts: 381 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013

Right now HR feels very weak compared to other classes not only cuz the slightly rapid shot nerf is more like a 25% nerf.
    Furthermore we dont have any burst abilitys, but aimedshot which is terrible to use.
    Suggesstion: give hawk shot the aimedshot dmg but decrease it's dmg by 5% each time u take dmg while casting it but dont make it shut down when taking dmg.

Bug:
    Aspect of the Lone Wolf
    Twin-Blade Storm

Both doesnt work.
  • Options
    werealchemistwerealchemist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    On the subject of very long encounter power cooldowns

I'm fighting with myself over this one, on one hand i realize they have long CD's to make up for the fact that we effectively have 6 (3 ranged and 3 melee)
    However that requires the best case scenario of getting into the perfect situation for many of them to be usable which most anyone doesn't want to do.

On the subject of Ranged and Melee styles

From what I've seen the hybrid melee ranged class looks awesome as heck on paper but when actually playing it most people either don't want to deal with the hassle of constantly reconfiguring their combat status from melee to ranged constantly or have a set playstyle in mind that they want to play like for example I personally want an archer style ranger I want to be able to get out of melee and continue my assault asap leaving me with no desire to use most of the melee abilities marauders rush for example is about the exact opposite of what i want to be doing while Marauders escape is ideal for my play style, while others prefer the dual wielding ranger who can make use of most any ability.

I find that Melee style rangers often find more use for the ranged abilities than the ranged classes do for melee abilities for example Rain of Arrows/Rain of Swords are both great in melee but neither are particularly good for ranged style play. the same goes for many other abilities as well.

Over all while playing as a pure melee I had no issues with cooldowns feeling too long but playing Ranged couldn't find enough utility in both sets of powers to keep from feeling like i was doing nothing but spamming my (now very weak) At-Wills and waiting for my useful abilities to come off cooldown
    21.jpg
  • Options
    obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Bug: Line of Sight Blocked
    Anything that isn't flat ground seems to be blocking line of sight for Rapid Shot and Split Shot at least.

Now that I can log into the PT server I'm pretty happy with the changes to Split Shot and Rapid Shot in the introductory phase of play and the update to the vfx for Seismic Shot is great, gives a much clearer impression of what the power will do and does. Yes Split Shot/Rapid Shot are less effective than pre-update, very obviously, but the experience with play has been more in line with my experience with other classes; like I took a little damage crossing the bridge this time... Will continue leveling this new toon to 10 and then change to my mid 30's HR and see how that plays now.
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    With the decrease in power of attacks the effectiveness of this feature needs a boost. My suggestions are;
    1) Strong Grasping Roots immobilizes (roots) the target(s)
    2) References to Weak Grasping Roots loose the Weak part.
    3) Current "Weak Grasping Roots" apply the same effect as current "Strong Grasping Roots"

This was particularly notable in Finding Honor where you only have RA powers and enemies spawn into a clear room at a short range, and fighting Honor herself.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • Options
    tickdofftickdoff Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    warzog wrote: »
    My level 37 HR is trying to do the level 37 "Barrow Lords" quests in Ebon Downs. Using either stance is ineffectual, and even trying to kite targets, I die 2-3 times per barrow. Between not doing enough damage because of the recent nerfs, and only having level 28 armor, with the rest of my gear at levels 30-35, it's becoming nigh on to impossible to proceed much further.

Portable Altars do not provide the atribute buff that campfires do.

I found Ebon Downs, and the Barrow Lords to be trivially easy on my Ranger, not sure what I was doing that you are not, but the HR was just about the easiest leveling experience I have had yet (only class I do not have at 60 is a DC, I suck at healers).
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Currently the Ranger gets;
    Rapid Shot -> Split Shot -> Marauder's Rush -> Seismic Shot and somewhere in there they get Aspect of the Falcon.
    They can then unlock Entangling Shot & Rain of Arrows at level 5.
    At level 6 their second Passive Power slot unlocks but they only have 1.

A better development would be;
    Rapid Shot -> Aimed Shot -> Entangling Shot (see notes in prior post about Grasping Roots) -> Seismic Shot and get Aspect of the Falcon.
    At level 5 be able to unlock Rain of Arrows and Marauder's Rush.
    At level 6 unlock the 3rd Encounter slot.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    So far I have found leveling to 10 to be noticeably harder than before, but on par with leveling the other classes. If grasping roots is made stronger in general and Hindering Shot is moved to the first Encounter Power the experience should be good.

This power still needs to become the first daily with a larger AoE (say Astral Shield sized) and Seismic needs to become the Ranged Encounter where Rain currently sits; this should only affect the ranged potion of Rain of Arrows.

Bug?: Forest Ghost
    This power does not appear to create stealth consistently; when used anything that noticed you before you activate the power will continue to target and attack you, making the stealth irrelevant.
    It also doesn't appear to honor the attacks correctly; when used as long as you keep the target focused on an enemy they animate as being hit (similar to the effect Duelist's Flurry creates) and only enemies that you target specifically are affected at all. (The later may be created by the use of "come across" in the tool-tip instead of "target".)

My next step is to go back to leveling my mid-30's HR and see how play compares now to before the patch.

tickdoff - did you level your HR before or after the patch? The experience was noticeably easier before the patch.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • Options
    commanderkahlaincommanderkahlain Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Bug: Items: Missing Founders and Hero of the North Packs
    Don't have Founder's or Hero packs. My HR should have access to both.
  • Options
    giomanach1giomanach1 Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I play a primarily archer HR with a sniper flavor, speak I want a long range, high damage single target attack which I've been fairly successful in finding with the Hawkshot/Hindering Shot/Rapid Fire combo to take down Plague Brutes or Gazers and with a bit of Shifting and Marauder's Escape can be used against Maws and most bosses. I have found that spellcasters present a much more difficult opponent for my HR than typical warrior/thief types so that I usually have to swap out Hawkshot for Split the Sky for a more damaging AoE while I'm busy running and dodging around the map avoiding the incoming damage from the spells and minions summoned. This brings me to the topic of Aimed Shot, I could see it as a very big addition for my sniper style if I didn't need a decent AoE to remain versatile in a PvE environment (Possibly swap Hawkshot for Split the Sky and Split Shot for Aimed Shot? Lacks the speed in order to take out mobs quickly, so not very viable unless I KNOW of a specific encounter coming that benefits from such a combo.)
    As for Shifting, very good for moving around the battlefield but poor for trying to retreat, I have to wait for Marauder's Escape to recharge because I already used it once to remain out of melee range at the beginning of the encounter.
    The scenario is usually after my 3rd shot mobs have closed the distance so that I'm now in melee range and need an escape but I've only taken out 1 "major" opponent out of the mob. An entangle/web/rooting AoE to better control minion mobs would be beneficial.

A suggested possibility would be something like Hawkshot to pull aggro, Hindering Shot to slow the main mob target, Rapid Shot to take him out. By this time the rest of the mob has gotten into melee range so the HR swaps stance and uses melee version of Hindering Shot for a weak Grasping Roots AoE instead of a strong Grasping Roots single target followed by another stance swap and Maurader's Escape. After gaining range then apply Split Shot for the minion mob.
  • Options
    warzogwarzog Member Posts: 128 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    My level 37 HR is trying to do the level 37 "Barrow Lords" quests in Ebon Downs. Using either stance is ineffectual, and even trying to kite targets, I die 2-3 times per barrow. Between not doing enough damage because of the recent nerfs, and only having level 28 armor, with the rest of my gear at levels 30-35, it's becoming nigh on to impossible to proceed much further.
    tickdoff wrote: »
    I found Ebon Downs, and the Barrow Lords to be trivially easy on my Ranger, not sure what I was doing that you are not, but the HR was just about the easiest leveling experience I have had yet (only class I do not have at 60 is a DC, I suck at healers).

Around the time that I reached level 39, I finally obtained a useable level 37 armor, and some level 38 gear, and things are going much easier. Therefore, I must presume that most of my difficulties was from using armor 9 levels below me.

Probably 90%, or so, of the Hunter Ranger's gear, from drops, above level 30, do not have enchantment slots. With the small changes between levels, and my use of level 5 enchantments brought over with my character from the live shard, finding useful gear is difficult.

I recently purchased a set of level 40 gear from the armor and weapon's vendors. (I still need to reach level 40, but it helps. Thanks!) I wish there were more levels available, either from drops or vendors. The amount of gear available on the AH has almost vanished since the first weekend of the preview.
    Go for the eyes, Boo! GO FOR THE EYES!!!
    (Where's a Miniature Giant Space Hamster when you need one?)
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Encounter powers like Constricting Shot deal damage when damage is sustained, as weakly armored as the HR is why are some of the supposedly best powers directed at more of a tank role? Same with Split the Sky, damage dealt when damage sustained although admitted these aren't specifically HR taking the damage but in solo play there are few optional candidates for NPCs to target.

A clear definition of the HR role would be very helpful in fine tuning the class. Originally it was a spiker, it lacks the DPS for that now even with Aimed Shot and Hawk Shot dealing high damage they aren't a continual output even with one being an At-Will power. A controller would fit the role very well, even in melee combat with focus not so much tanking but pushback and slowing mobs that gather. Trying to fill 2 roles (controller and spiker) in 2 categories (melee and range) doesn't work. While I would prefer a range DPS and melee controller I could just as easily agree with a range controller and melee DPS if it's still a hybrid role that the HR is to fill.
  • Options
    caloriencalorien Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Looks like I better redirect my level 20 leatherworker's professional tasks back into leatherworking, and build up a supply of raw materials to use when the module hit.

Are weapons also tending to be in short supply?
    The PWI info-fox formerly known as Mayfly - Dreamweaver
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    calorien wrote: »
    Looks like I better redirect my level 20 leatherworker's professional tasks back into leatherworking, and build up a supply of raw materials to use when the module hit.

Are weapons also tending to be in short supply?

I can only assume that by the time it goes live, the shortages should be addressed, however, it would be alot of help. As an example, I'm still using the starter shirt and pants at level 39. And, yes, the weapons are in short supply, the long bows more so than the melee weapons.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    While I like the changes to the quest dungeons, the lack of nature packs in them is surprising now that we have the HR.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    The level 39 "Wraith Eidolon" in the level 39 "Relic of the Past" quest is nigh on to impossible to damage.

Using Ranged Stance:
    During the first few minutes I could barely tell that I'd done any damage to him. After about 5 minutes of dodging, and trying every skill I have, I've only gotten him down to 75-80% health before he kills me.

Using Melee Stance:
    He regenerates so fast that I can barely register ANY damage before he's at full health again. I'm dead in under a minute.

Swapping Stances:
    Same as melee stance.

After trying every skill combination, and dying 5 times, I've given up. My level 39 HR just can't do enough damage to him.

I'll try getting to level 40 to see if that helps, but I doubt it. With the HR's current level of damage output, and his level of regeneration, I'll probably need to get much higher.

In an attempt to level up, I was doing my favorite foundry quest, "Nightmare on Market Street." It's fairly quick, and fun. I hadn't done it since the great nerfing of the HR, so I was quite surprised when I died for the first time ever, in a foundry quest, all due to the lack of damage.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    The Eidolon's been a while, probably before the nerf patch but I just did the Rimefire Wolf wednesday with MAYBE 2 levels over requirement and only needed 3 attempts before succeeding. With my TR I needed more tries before eliminating the additional winterwolves accompanying it, the HR was able to pull them without aggroing the Rimefire Wolf unlike the TR.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Just upgraded to the level 40 gear from the vendors. Quite surprised to find 4 defense slots, and only 1 offense slot, not counting weapons. I can only assume that those are meant to hold Deflection enchantments, but as I've never had much success with deflection, I'm leary to try it without more feedback from others.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Just upgraded to the level 40 gear from the vendors. Quite surprised to find 4 defense slots, and only 1 offense slot, not counting weapons. I can only assume that those are meant to hold Deflection enchantments, but as I've never had much success with deflection, I'm leary to try it without more feedback from others.

It's their prime defense skill, I stack it on my melee ranger. It seems to do okay as long as i double-tab melee-to-melee every five seconds to get the [natures enhancement] buff (+25% deflect severity)

For ranged on the other hand don't really benefit from that so IDK. IMO Melee is the far superior build at this point.
    21.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Admitted my HR has mostly blue gear, all drops, of level 42 (boots are still low level) or greater on my level 53 (averages closer to level 48 gear) but I have no enchantments applied to any of the gear, hood, armor and bracers are green. I have a GS of 5,665.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Earlier Today (Prior to the Patch):
    The level 39 "Wraith Eidolon" in the level 39 "Relic of the Past" quest is nigh on to impossible to damage.

Using Ranged Stance:
    During the first few minutes I could barely tell that I'd done any damage to him. After about 5 minutes of dodging, and trying every skill I have, I've only gotten him down to 75-80% health before he kills me.

Using Melee Stance:
    He regenerates so fast that I can barely register ANY damage before he's at full health again. I'm dead in under a minute.

Swapping Stances:
    Same as melee stance.

After trying every skill combination, and dying 5 times, I've given up. My level 39 HR just can't do enough damage to him.

After the Patch:
    The level 39 "Wraith Eidolon" in the level 39 "Relic of the Past" quest is doable, but just barely.

Using Ranged Stance:
    Ranged damage is a bit slow, barely damages the "Wraith Eidolon" at all.

Using Melee Stance:
    The melee powers are FINALLY usable!!! Still unable to kill the "Wraith Eidolon" just with melee powers.

Swapping Stances:
    Finally able to kill the "Wraith Eidolon," with so much dodging that my hands started to cramp up. (Ended up dying after killing the "Wraith Eidolon" due to all of the ads

rhoric wrote: »
    Being forced to use both melee and ranged in order to play is not the way it should be. If I want to strictly use ranged I should be able to. But with the nerf to ranged damages, you are being forced to use both stances.

I must whole-heartily agree. Having said that:
    1). I think that the melee skills are just about perfect as they are now.
    2). The ranged skills need a bit more speed in their execution. Many are far to slow atm.
    3). The ranged skills need to do a bit more damage than they currently do.
    4). While the dual stance is becoming viable, allowances need to be made for those who don't like it.
    5). The dodge ability needs to have it's range increased. (I really hate getting cramps in my hands!)
    6). Seismic Shot and Grasping Roots need to have some affect on boss'. In my aforementioned battle with the "Wraith Eidolon" they were a complete, and deadly, waste of time.

Edit:
    I wish the level 39 "Relic of the Past" quest was repeatable, it's a terrific test bed for the HR's skills.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I lost my last hope.... Hawkshot is now nerfed/fixed by 50% aswell.
    So right now we dont have a single encounter that does more dmg than ur rapid shot...
    Just the fact that it does 1000 dmg when u are close to ur target on lvl 60 with full r10s and t1 weapon is embarrassing.
    An 17sec? cd encounter, that takes 2sec~ to cast does less dmg than an dc atwill.
    I cant even find words for that.

Oh ye and our passives still dont work, but atleast they changed the sound of our encounters.
    A bad joke, nothing else to say.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I am continuing to test it.
    I've noticed that if you can dodge a lot. Read "Hand Crampingly" A Lot, a dual stance HR is playable.
    The HR DOES need to do a lot more damage than it does.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I am continuing to test it.
    I've noticed that if you can dodge a lot. Read "Hand Crampingly" A Lot, a dual stance HR is playable.
    The HR DOES need to do a lot more damage than it does.

If u speak about dual stance, its only 1 way out of maybe 4 speccs (range only/melee only/dual/support) that could be viable, but nowhere in the potential of EVERY other class.
    If they want to force us to play dual stance, hawkshot shouldnt do 1kdmg in meleerange right?

I mean let's be honest, our best burst encounter (and only) does 1k dmg at lvl 60?? with t1 weapon and r10s?
    My lvl 12 tr already crits with lashing for 1k....
    Sry but NO encounter should ever do 1k dmg at lvl 60.
    In order to make ranger fun and usefull they should have buffed the ''bugged'' hawkshot so that it doesnt only do 2kdmg in meleerange and turn it's max dmg down A BIT.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    xmousepadx wrote: »
    If u speak about dual stance, its only 1 way out of maybe 4 speccs (range only/melee only/dual/support) that could be viable, but nowhere in the potential of EVERY other class.
    If they want to force us to play dual stance, hawkshot shouldnt do 1kdmg in meleerange right?

I mean let's be honest, our best burst encounter (and only) does 1k dmg at lvl 60?? with t1 weapon and r10s?
    My lvl 12 tr already crits with lashing for 1k....
    Sry but NO encounter should ever do 1k dmg at lvl 60.
    In order to make ranger fun and usefull they should have buffed the ''bugged'' hawkshot so that it doesnt only do 2kdmg in meleerange and turn it's max dmg down A BIT.

I guess I want to play a Ranger so much, I'm looking for anything good about this one.
    My apologies to all.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    emt5ke255z3.png

Worst scenario in meleerange...
    Still embarrassing with perf. vorpal t1 weapon and 3k power!
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I guess I want to play a Ranger so much, I'm looking for anything good about this one.
    My apologies to all.

I dont want to blame u buddy i'm on ur side.
    I rly wanna play ranger aswell, but more like range dps with supporting meleeskills:D
    Just how our archery tree and skills are designed tells me that it is intended to play ranger on range only!
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    My HR is level 53 right now on the final mote in the Chasm, from the sounds of the recent patch I won't be playing it until some power comes back to the class seeing that even with a cleric companion (which is usually all I need in almost any game I play) I won't be able to survive without altering my playstyle considerably.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I know what other classes are capable of, having leveled my CW to 60 back in OB as well. The main difference between those powers is that they are Fire and Forget Burst Spells where all of the HR AoE spells are Sustained Damage.

Well they are sustained but even throughout their duration they still don't do as much as the burst damage of the other classes.
    21.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2013

Right now HR feels very weak compared to other classes not only cuz the slightly rapid shot nerf is more like a 25% nerf.
    Furthermore we dont have any burst abilitys, but aimedshot which is terrible to use.
    Suggesstion: give hawk shot the aimedshot dmg but decrease its dmg by 5% each time u take dmg while casting it but remove the shut down when taking dmg.

Bug:
    Aspect of the Lone Wolf
    Twin-Blade Storm

Both don't work.

Another Feedback:
    Dont make ur skills scale on our max distance from our target cuz this excludes a healthy melee/range gameplay.
    Rather change the archery feat, which gives u 20% extra dmg while on max range to a flat 20% dmg boost to all ur RANGE encounters!
  • Options
    edited November 2013

Shifting, considering the HR is supposed to be using hit-and-run tactics and a primary style of attack can be chosen as a focus path, might instead be increased in range and cost instead of the shortened range and lowered cost. This might enable an archery focus to be more viable in order to more easily and more often get out of melee range in order to actually make use of the path.

This would allow both range and melee combined by only allowing 2 shifts for ever 3 CW teleports for example.

The shorter range/lower cost works better for the TR who wishes to stay within a certain distance of his/her foes.
This discussion has been closed.