test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cryptic OFFICIAL Feedback Thread: Hunter Ranger

crucial991199crucial991199 Member, NW_CrypticDev, Neverwinter Beta Users, Cryptic Developers, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
Hi everyone!
We are just now starting testing our brand new class: the Hunter Ranger. The class is a combination ranged and melee class that can switch between modes on the fly. The Hunter Ranger's ability to twist his rotation between ranged and melee Encounters and At-Wills gives him unique fast paced gameplay which can be very open ended. Like other classes, you will gain your Tab ability (mode switch) at level 10.

The Hunter Ranger is also the first class with different AP costs on his Daily powers. Each Daily has a different AP cost (at 25% increments) and cooldown. In a group, the Hunter Ranger has several buffs that can be upgraded to apply to part or all of his team. You can choose to specialize further in this area through feats and your power upgrades.

Feedback
It will be really helpful if your feedback is categorized so we can gather it as effectively as possible! Therefore, please use the following format when submitting feedback to help us make sure your voices get heard:

Type: Bug, Feedback
(Pick one or the other)

Category: Gameplay, Powers, Feats, Gear
(Please list only categories that apply to your feedback)
Post edited by crucial991199 on

Comments

• Options
    sballarddevsballarddev Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Please use “Bold” face text for the Type & Categories then type your feedback in the body of your post. If you are listing a bug please have this text in RED, if you are posting an opinion or feedback please use BLUE.
    (Concise Feedback & Screen Shots are much appreciated)

Bug: Feats: Master Of Nature
    This feat does not apply properly to X power.

The range on Electric Shot's AOE is too small.

Thank you again for all your help Adventurers! We look forward to hearing back from you!
    QA Tester
    Cryptic Studios
  • Options
    enzododenzodod Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 38
    edited October 2013
    Let me start off with a minor bug: :D

Bug: Weapon icons
    The weapon icons are not showing up properly, both in the bag and when equipped. All I see are white boxes for both the bow and daggers.
  • Options
    sballarddevsballarddev Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    enzodod wrote: »
    Let me start off with a minor bug: :D

Bug: Weapon icons
    The weapon icons are not showing up properly, both in the bag and when equipped. All I see are white boxes for both the bow and daggers.

Yes, we're aware of this. Icons should be present in the next build.

Thanks for the heads up!
    QA Tester
    Cryptic Studios
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I do not know if it is better to compile a list of bugs/feedback and post them here in one post or post bugs/feedback as and when we find them. Anyway, here is a feedback:

The tool tip did not state that it has 3 charges, where there is a 2.9 sec cool down between using each charge (stated) and a 15 seconds cool down for regaining one charge (not stated). Would be nice to know if possible.
  • Options
    nadiezjanadiezja Member Posts: 483 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Why is the reward for Finding Honor a pair of blades? You can't swap to melee weapons until level 10, making the reward kind of pointless.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    nadiezja wrote: »

Why is the reward for Finding Honor a pair of blades? You can't swap to melee weapons until level 10, making the reward kind of pointless.

Can you slot them, though? If they provide additional stats or bonuses, wouldn't those carry over even if you can't directly attack w/ them?
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    edited October 2013
    Type: Bug
    Split shot - when at rank 2 shows damage 2-2.

Type: Feedback
    Hunter Ranger feels very OP right now. It could just be a lower levels, but I have hardly had to use any health potions so far. Currently level 8.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    Can you slot them, though? If they provide additional stats or bonuses, wouldn't those carry over even if you can't directly attack w/ them?

Yeah, the damage/stats are added, so it is useful even though it cannot be used to attack till level 10.
  • Options
    echokazulechokazul Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This is probably already known, but I have a Founder's Pack. When I attempted to open the Graycloak's Legacy's box, I just get a message saying I already have the item.

Also, I do agree that it seems very over powered in the early stages. I was able to breeze through the beginning quests with far less difficulty then any of the other classes.I can only imagine the cakewalk it would be with the Greycloak weapon. The Single Shot will seems to fire too quickly, in my opinion.
    Kyba Fell- Tiefling GF (Main)
    RainFeather- Dragonborn DC
    Rune Fell- Drow CW
  • Options
    dreamhuntressxdreamhuntressx Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Bug: Shift
    The first time you use it, there's no stamina cost. I've replicated it several times. Anyone else have witnessed it? Unless it's working as intended, I managed to use it up to 7 times in a row.
    Leanan Sidhe (not "The Dresde Files" fairy!) - NW Legit Channel Moderator
  • Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Bug: Shift
    The first time you use it, there's no stamina cost. I've replicated it several times. Anyone else have witnessed it? Unless it's working as intended, I managed to use it up to 7 times in a row.

RE-Bug:Shift
    Yep. I've managed to dodge 5-6 times in a row, either bugged or crazy OP.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    They have mentioned that the shift travels a shorter distance than other classes, and will take up less stamina, therefore it can be done more frequently. I experienced the first shift did not cost any stamina too, but not all the time.

I agree at lower levels the HR seems OP, clearing trash mobs is a piece of cake. But from level 10 onwards, I find myself starting to pot, especially fighting elites. I have seen most of the HR around me with less than half hit points most of the time. :D
  • Options
    destinyknightdestinyknight Member Posts: 962 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    From how I see how the Stamina works. They can dodge more often, though its shorter distance. But thier stamina regeneration regenerates MUCH slower than other classes. Which kind of balances it out.

Though I feel thier first at will hits just a bit too hard. Just starting out on the tutorial and Im killing monsters in two shots.
    Given they already possess the advantage of distance when engaging. Its just a bit, slightly too strong from my view. Im still playing to see how it evolves more.
  • Options
    gxceb0tgxceb0t Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    enzodod wrote: »
    They have mentioned that the shift travels a shorter distance than other classes, and will take up less stamina, therefore it can be done more frequently. I experienced the first shift did not cost any stamina too, but not all the time.

I agree at lower levels the HR seems OP, clearing trash mobs is a piece of cake. But from level 10 onwards, I find myself starting to pot, especially fighting elites. I have seen most of the HR around me with less than half hit points most of the time. :D

The early levels are way easy, but it does get tougher - barely made it out of the merchants hall alive because up to that point i'd never bought a pot. I imagine he will always have pretty weak defense so it may balance out.

Update: now i've finished blackdagger at level 22, and have yet to die a single time.
  • Options
    maniaclettermanmaniacletterman Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Detected 2 bugs and 1 possible, all inside Tower District, between level 9-10.

Bug #1 - Empty Tab icon & space.
    When unlocking Class Mechanics Ranged Stance/Melee Stance, the Tab icon in the power tray becomes empty. When hovering cursor, message pops that says "You may slot a extra power here", like the Control Wizard. No encounter, passive or daily power can be slotted here.

error2_zps9bc4ce0a.png

Bug #2 - Tab enters combat.
    When swapping between Ranged Stance/Melee Stance, the Hunter Ranger enters combat automatically and then leaves it after a few seconds, no enemies near nor targeting required.

error3_zpsdb3bcd90.png

Maybe bug #3 - Multi "Orc Bounty" quest turn-in
    When finishing quest "Orc Bounty" in Tower District, map reveals 3 distinct spots to turn-in the quest. One very distant from the other to call it a normal turn-in event.

error1_zps2de3817e.png
  • Options
    altyrealtyre Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 106 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Bug:Powers:Rapid Shot

It could be OP, it could be balanced - what I'm concerned about is that the projectile is very laggy; more often than not, damage will be applied before the projectile even fires.

Bug:Powers
    Many abilities (Split Shot and Hindering Shot, for example) do not display crucial info - such as damage or cooldown - in their tooltips.

I guess it's not a bug (though it could be) so I listed it as feedback - is the Hunter going to launch with only a single path? No complaints, of course - it's a fantastic class, and Stormwarden looks great (though I haven't had a chance to test the skills yet) but it seems a bit odd that it won't be flush with the other classes.
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    echokazul wrote: »
    This is probably already known, but I have a Founder's Pack. When I attempted to open the Graycloak's Legacy's box, I just get a message saying I already have the item.

Also, I do agree that it seems very over powered in the early stages. I was able to breeze through the beginning quests with far less difficulty then any of the other classes.I can only imagine the cakewalk it would be with the Greycloak weapon. The Single Shot will seems to fire too quickly, in my opinion.

same on the founder's pack with the graycloak legacy box.

also in the tutorial, i seem to recall being told that i can switch between range and melee with the tab key but not having that option. is the ranger supposed to have this option from level 1 or will it open up as the character levels up to 10?

general feedback:
    other than that, i like the encounter powers i've seen so far. sometimes it seems like when i try to dodge, it happens twice instead of once. i know with my greycloak's legacy box, my damage at lower levels is about on par as it was testing the ranger without the greycloak weapon/enchant. so i'm wondering if it somehow is giving me that bonus and acknowledging that even though i'm using some other weapon.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    melodywhr wrote: »

also in the tutorial, i seem to recall being told that i can switch between range and melee with the tab key but not having that option. is the ranger supposed to have this option from level 1 or will it open up as the character levels up to 10?

Stance-switch is their class feature - it opens up at 10.

That doesn't make it any less odd that they get blades in the tutorial though - the blades after defeating Honor, I can understand - every class gets their secondary there - but in the tutorial the blades are little more than stat-sticks, and the other classes with stack-stick secondaries (Clerics, Wizards, and GWFs) don't get their secondaries in the tutorial.

Only way I see it is that classes with weapons vital to their class get all of their vital weapons in the tutorial - regardless of whether or not they can actually use them right away. Still feels odd, though, since Rogues and Guardians can use their vital-secondaries right away.
  • Options
    lifesimageslifesimages Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Bug: Skills: Dodge(Shift)
    If you don't hit the shift button super fast, and time it steady and slow enough, you don't lose any stamina
  • Options
    lordxenitelordxenite Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Bug
    The test on the Forest Meditation power misspells "regenerating"
    attachment.php?attachmentid=10531&stc=1&d=1383201534
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited October 2013
    echokazul wrote: »

melodywhr wrote: »

Known Issues
    • Ranger: Not all Ranger items have correct icons, such as starting and seal items.
    • Ranger: There are not yet Ranger weapons that come in the Delzoun or Greycloak from the Hero of the North and Guardian of Neverwinter packs in the Reward Claims Agent.

Always a good idea to check out the known issues. :D
  • Options
    lifesimageslifesimages Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Bug: Skills: Maurader's Escape
    Skill doesn't always send you back 50 feet. Keeps user where they are, and does the animation in place

EDIT: - This seems to be when the user jumps, and casts in the air. Unsure whether it happens other times
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Seismic Shot
    The Hunter Ranger daily is sometimes leaving its effect persisting within the world long after is been executed. Making the whole zone thats filled with HR become a frame rate dropper.

Screenshots attached.
  • Options
    tyrannisstyranniss Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Bug: Daily Power: Seismic Shot
    If you activate Seismic Shot while in melee mode it will place a permanent blue glowing globe on the ground and it doesn't disappear over time. I noticed this when I entered the Orc area and suddenly my frame rate dropped to 8 or 9 fps lol. Normally average 30 to 40 FPS in that area. I was seeing dozens of the Blue glowing globes on the ground from all the other low level Rangers.

Ah I see destinyknight was a faster typer then I :P
  • Options
    matii1509matii1509 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    In tutorial you have information this class has ranged and melee attacks, and pop-up window "Press TAB". Old players know that power is unlocked at 10lvl, but for new players can be confusing when they hit TAB and nothing happen.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Bug: Paragon previewing
    Previewing the Melee version of skills shows the ranged version of the skills instead when viewing available paragon paths in the character sheet.
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Maybe it is just me, but given that we can't switch to dual blades until level 10, Marauder's Rush seems like an odd choice the first encounter power since it can only be used defensively in ranged mode. I would expect something that does damage before a defensive power.
  • Options
    onecoolscatcatonecoolscatcat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited October 2013

After making a new character and equipping your first salvagd weapons, you are told, "Use the TAB key to switch" between ranged and melee modes. This power doesn't unlock until level 10. I pressed TAB several times before realizing this. Maybe save the tooltip until you can use the power.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Bug: Skills: Maurader's Escape
    Skill doesn't always send you back 50 feet. Keeps user where they are, and does the animation in place

EDIT: - This seems to be when the user jumps, and casts in the air. Unsure whether it happens other times

In addition - though I doubt this is a bug - it sends you backwards relative to the camera, not your character; this can make Marauder's Escape a very handy skill to use to get around, especially since it builds AP.
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Seismic Shot
    The Hunter Ranger daily is sometimes leaving its effect persisting within the world long after is been executed. Making the whole zone thats filled with HR become a frame rate dropper.

Screenshots attached.

i'm not sure that the effect of seismic shot is the cause of the frame rate drop. i'm in tower district and the patch notes indicate that there was a performance boost done in this area and i'm not seeing any green seismic craters... at first i thought it was the billowing smoke from the campfires or the torches causing it but it can be anything. reducing my graphic settings doesn't seem to fix it either.

it's really bad. i don't think i'm going to be able to move past this point. it's making combat impossible.
    also, as i moved forward in the map, i did see about five of those seismic shot craters. so maybe it is causing it.

i should also note that i haven't had any other issues like this in any other zones.
This discussion has been closed.