Install Arc
Options

Cryptic OFFICIAL Feedback Thread: Hunter Ranger

1202122232426»

Comments

• Options
    werealchemistwerealchemist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    ...continued ...(weird, is there a letter limit per post)...

you cant use the symbol for degree
    21.jpg
  • Options
    kaiserschmarrnkaiserschmarrn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 390
    edited December 2013
    Ah ok, so this is why the forum ate the letters....thx
  • Options
    voltomeyvoltomey Member Posts: 1,052 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    I was wondering about that. I also have a Tiefling DC with 14 in Int and it certainly helps with the recovery.

For an Archery dps/crit build I think the Wood Elf is hard to beat, for a melee Ranger I would probably go halfling or human. Half Elf might also be a good choice if you want a melee crit hybrid and pump con a little maybe.

With the generally long cooldowns on all encounters I think Int would definitely help, I hope I get some time to test this at least a little before thursday, too bad double xp ends in 1-2 hours.

I'm only 35 now and in Helm's Deep, with a level 20 blue bow from the AD vendor in Protector's and murdering devils left and right. On my TR and CW Helm's Deep was the first zone where I had to pay at least a tiny bit of attention compared to the easier "hold button" zones before. The devils and imps are the first mobs which can hurt a bit and this was the first time my other chars felt at least a little mortal instead of godlike. With the Ranger it's an entirely different experience...where other classes felt weaker for the first time, the Ranger actually feels stronger.

Also: Electric Arrow vs Split Shot...is there even a contest here between these 2 at-wills ? Split Shot is so vastly superior in terms of aoe range and damage that Electric Arrows just feels pitiful. The only reason to take this would be the 360

Electric/Aimed Shots are pretty bad Electric makes a better at will to complement a melee play style cuas clear the ground is actually a pretty damaging skill if you use it right.I actually had to test out a melee ranger of my own to see how much dps you can achive with one and it actually wasn't as bad as people made melee dmg out to be. I think i mite have founed the reason the class seems like its dose such little dmg compared to other classes. If you want more insight check out my tips and trick thread i don't wanna clutter up the feed back thread with off topic discussion.
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Bug: Black Arrow (Feat)
    Sometimes only gives 8% Crit Severity boost at 5/5....

Bug:Thickness of the Stag (feat)
    This feat works inconsistently as well. At 1/5 it applied 2%, at 2/5 it applies nothing, similarly at 3/5.
    (I then stopped playing for the night..sleepy...)

This tree is organised very badly. from level 39-44 I went off-tree for my feat simply because the remaining 4 basic feats are in the wrong order. Fox's Cunning and Stag Heart receive the boost options at tier 3 and Oak Skin and Boar Hide receive the boost at tier 4. Endurance of the Boar and Grace of the Fox need to swap position at a minimum.

This feat is doing the wrong thing. In simple terms while all it does is give more stacks of Boar's Hide it is moving in the wrong direction, it needs to boost the mitigation Boar's Hide provides, seeing Boar's Hide itself doesn't do that. Getting even .5/1/1.5/2/3% bonus mitigation would make it much more worthwhile that would give 5% mitigation for 5 attacks for a 3/3 and 5/5 combo, which is hardly huge for the investment made.
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • Options
    nwnghostnwnghost Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    How does the HR fare in PvP considering he has 6 dodges and a jump, making it effectively 7 dodges (meaning he can evade CC 7+ times in a row)
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    FeedBack cold steel Hurricane i tried using this a few times well i tried making this work and its functionality is horrible snare is weak effect simply but this skill is to weak for a daily.
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kaiserschmarrnkaiserschmarrn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 390
    edited December 2013
    I'm really missing some iconic daily like the other classes have. Something in the power range of Singularity, Slam, Hallowed Ground or Lurker's Assault.

I mean the CW gets a daily which is an absolute must-have for certain boss fights and the Ranger gets a weak snare as their final ability ?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    What is this must have power of CWs? Do you mean Maelstrom for MC? If so the place to look on the HR is Disruptive Shot, interrupt every 5-7s depending on your cooldowns and use as long as you have AP and supplement with Constricting Shot.

But the HR isn't a dedicated controller (no matter how much I wish it were true), like the TR it has some control aspects to its powers, it also has some leader aspects but mostly its about DPS delivered via ranged at-wills and supplemented by encounters (at least for ranged focussed builds others can be more explicit about where the DPS comes from for melee/hybrid).
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • Options
    redbear762redbear762 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Just some early impressions:

Feedback: Powers: Split Shot Totally OP in early levels, feels like God Mode, with high damage at range & auto-tracking of moving targets. Feels more like an encounter than an At-Will. Needs a cooldown imo. Also seems weird that it hits multiple targets at different ranges simultaneously.

I disagree strongly; the class is hardly OP and much closer to a glass cannon from 1-10 - if you get into a melee fight early on, you're basically screwed - and beyond 10 your melee is no where near what a Rogue can do. I wish people would stop saying the class is OP! ;\
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    redbear762 wrote: »
    I wish people would stop saying the class is OP! ;\

Good Gawd-Almighty - I AGREE.

I just rolled a new HR this weekend and pushed him up to Black Dagger Ruins and this one feels just about right (though zone changes and "quest optimizations" have DRASTICALLY slowed leveling the early levels, especially Blacklake District.)

I have NOT played an HR above level 20, so my comments relate to the early levels, where it is *supposed* to feel more powerful than it really is (if it's not at least a *little* over-powered, NEW players will give-up and leave). I suspect levels 25-50 are where the real self-training in combat will happen most.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    LvLing up this class is a Cake walk compared to the other classes LvL 1 TO 30 Split Shot Is like one of your best skills along with aspect of the pact and a man at arms companion 30-40 is generally easy also just make sure you lay down thor ward or StS on yourself or the man at arms and mobs generally go down fast. If you Have the man at arms pet i would suggest using split the Sky if you have the cleric pet use thorn ward she kites to much now not a bad thing i never seen her live this much. 40 to 50 Still pretty much Lay down Thorn ward and StS and you should be good.

At 50 Now you have Fox Master of Archery/Combat and twinblade storm for More DPS and Survivability if your archery the fight is pretty much done you crit so much the mobs just melt away. If your Combat Ranger though its slightly harder But its also easy now though cause you can go toe to toe in melee now without having to change to ranged mode spam clear the ground and get rid of trash mobs more effectively and you have Fox now for a nice dps skill and you should have master of combat at this point and about a 30% or more deflect chance If your a Combat Ranger i would suggest you spam forest ghost and be aware of your positioning Having Hindering Strike is Good and it hits hard triggering your Bladestorm and Master Of combat feats for massive AoE dmg. You should be 60 in no time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    What will make or break your HR leveling experience is gear drops.

My tiefling got good consistent drops and aside from level 30-40 it was pretty much as expected based on leveling every class to 60. Level 30-40 is an odd patch for the HR, probably the hardest 10 levels.

Leveling my Dwarf during double XP weekend was a nightmare, I was consistently being beaten to a pulp because of gear drops just leaving me in the cold. Every bit of bad HR gear I could want would drop, the actually useful stuff.... Nope. I ended up buying stuff from AH and stores just to keep her geared in a level appropriate way.

Which leads me to some quick comments on gear; while leveling Power/Crit/Recovery/Regen are your friends. HR gear is however full of deflect and defence and basically you can never get enough of it while leveling for it to matter. Oh and ArP is everywhere. If you can get a good selection of Power and Crit supplemented with Recovery and Regen on your gear you will have a better time leveling. (Yes Regen > Lifesteal because regen always tics and the more damage you have taken the more it heals for while Lifesteal needs to be huge and have you pulling big numbers on your damage to get even close to what you will get from 100-200 points of Regen.)
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    What will make or break your HR leveling experience is gear drops.

My tiefling got good consistent drops and aside from level 30-40 it was pretty much as expected based on leveling every class to 60. Level 30-40 is an odd patch for the HR, probably the hardest 10 levels.

Leveling my Dwarf during double XP weekend was a nightmare, I was consistently being beaten to a pulp because of gear drops just leaving me in the cold. Every bit of bad HR gear I could want would drop, the actually useful stuff.... Nope. I ended up buying stuff from AH and stores just to keep her geared in a level appropriate way.

Which leads me to some quick comments on gear; while leveling Power/Crit/Recovery/Regen are your friends. HR gear is however full of deflect and defence and basically you can never get enough of it while leveling for it to matter. Oh and ArP is everywhere. If you can get a good selection of Power and Crit supplemented with Recovery and Regen on your gear you will have a better time leveling. (Yes Regen > Lifesteal because regen always tics and the more damage you have taken the more it heals for while Lifesteal needs to be huge and have you pulling big numbers on your damage to get even close to what you will get from 100-200 points of Regen.)

i just used the vendor gear from 1-59 and a healer companion and i was ok she kite like a mouther ****er now for some reason so i didn't have much trouble lvl my melee ranger
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    xmousepadxxmousepadx Member Posts: 381 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Aspect of the lone wolf still doesnt work
    Rapid shot does slightly less dmg than split shot, even in singletarget dps!
  • Options
    lyaiselyaise Member Posts: 491 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Imagine there's going to be quite a lot of people leveling the new Hunter. Hope there'll be enough tanks and healers around at Dungeon times for all these guys through the leveling :-)
    ...............vote for your favourite expansion..........
    "Mod 6. Oh my f****** god. It gutted the game pure and simple. And what wasn't gutted was messed up by the poorly thought out new level cap and equip. The game never recovered from that atrocity".
    ..............not this one then.............
  • Options
    doogie74doogie74 Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    lyaise wrote: »
    Imagine there's going to be quite a lot of people leveling the new Hunter. Hope there'll be enough tanks and healers around at Dungeon times for all these guys through the leveling :-)

As is typical when any new class is added to a game. Some people may not like the play style and go back to the other classes. So for the first few days or weeks, what you stated maybe an issue but it will level back out.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Meh 5 Rangers can run CT, CC and Idris no problems (and probably PK) after that it will be more problematic (as it is anyway). Build/Playstyle balance will matter more than the fact they are all HRs especially after CT. Sure you will have to stop and figure out plans for bosses, but completing those dungeons is totally reasonable for 5 HRs.

Worst case guildies will turn up for folks to complete the DDs, face it the xp for dungeons is irrelevant really its more the 3k AD, I know I hope to get at least 6k off CT, hopefully 9k. Similarly for CC and Idris. So I can level my enchants & artifact.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    voltomey wrote: »
    i just used the vendor gear from 1-59 and a healer companion and i was ok she kite like a mouther ****er now for some reason so i didn't have much trouble lvl my melee ranger

Yeah, that was my longwinded point. Gear drops can be bad, but the store stuff is ok (actually its better than a lot of drops), so if you are having trouble look at your gear; if you don't see a lot of Power/Crit/Recovery and you do see a lot of Def/Deflect then time to go shopping.

Checking out the vendor stuff will give you a good baseline for what you are looking for as well in drops.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    FeedBack
    Ghost walker And Prime Crit Should be switched Ghost walker effects happen in ranged only and prime crit is the equivalent of Seeker in are melee Tree. If left as is there basically no reason for Combat ranger to dip in archery with out wasting 5 points. and archer get easy access to both Agile Hunter and seeker. Melee ranger really need that skill to help mange there cool downs with out having to resort to getting Royal guard gearor stacking recovery over crit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nigelcr217nigelcr217 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I must say, brilliant work on the Ranger. However I feel Melee is a bit underpowered, and so are our Dailies.
  • Options
    fledmagicianfledmagician Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    question,

Is Aimed Shot working as intended?

i understand a skill with large charge time, I even understand why skill interrupts happen, but it normally takes specific actions to interrupt a skill.

AS just outright stops itself if you take even a single point of damage, meaning that any red splats, (even those without knock-back/stun/daze or normal interrupt effects) or a single add hitting you for five points of damage, taking DoT from posion or bleeding, anything at all will totally cancel your skill.

No other power in the game functions like this, and frankly, it feels terribly unreliable.

why should I spend several seconds (and three skill points) building up for a big shot if I may never get to fire because i got grazed by an imp and my ranger crapped himself a stopped aiming?

if you make it work like Splitshot instead, where the longer you charge it the more damage it does, or just remove the automatic cancel every time someone sneezes near you, then it might actually become viable.

At the moment, It just feels like i wasted skillpoints.

Is the other at-wills any good? the lightning one?
  • Options
    mjytreszmjytresz Member Posts: 500 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Melee Stance is incredibly underpowered. Really, there's no reason to switch to it when you can do it just as easily in ranged.

As I understand, as a class that switches between stances, you'd make the most of it by switching by stance A and B. However, simply staying in stance A yields easier and faster results than switching at all. I gave up on my Melee Ranger pretty early since there was simply no point to even attempting it.

Balance Melee or get rid of it.
    Broken mechanics, broken class designs, lack of actual content, and over zealous, bronze-age moderation?

Go Cryptic!
    PS - I quit.
  • Options
    killianthefoxkillianthefox Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I created a Half-elf HR without knowing about the Dilettante Racial Trait bug (supposed to get a +1 to a non-class ability). It is definitely still not working, but I have already progressed pretty far.

Should I expect a fix to this bug anytime soon?

edit: And if there is a fix in the works, will it affect my existing character?
This discussion has been closed.