test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cryptic OFFICIAL Feedback Thread: Hunter Ranger

Comments

• voltomeyvoltomey Member Posts: 1,052 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    slambit wrote: »
    so you never put any points into dex after creation, except those 2 levels of 6 points?

I put 5 into dex 1 into wisdom and 6 into con i was half elf so i went with 2 in con and wis so i started out with 15 dex 14 con 17 wis 13 strength
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • n0fxer#8270 n0fxer Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Black arrow still decreasing the base severity for critical strikes for ranged. With this being fixed it might help a bit, but there is still some form of 1-60 balancing for the skills that is sorely needed.. as it is, HR blasts through the lower range, holds its own in the mid-levels and falls behind with the skills not keeping up at the high end.
  • slambitslambit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 282 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    If you jump and press the escape daily, you just zoom around on the spot instead of going backwards.
  • warzogwarzog Member Posts: 128 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    Until today, in the gear score table, there have been to nameless stats, with 0's at the end.
    Today, they have a name: Combat Advantage Bonus, and Control Bonus.
    Any ideas how, or where we get them, or increase them?
    Go for the eyes, Boo! GO FOR THE EYES!!!
    (Where's a Miniature Giant Space Hamster when you need one?)
  • xmousepadxxmousepadx Member Posts: 381 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    warzog wrote: »
    Until today, in the gear score table, there have been to nameless stats, with 0's at the end.
    Today, they have a name: Combat Advantage Bonus, and Control Bonus.
    Any ideas how, or where we get them, or increase them?

With Artifacts
    edited November 2013
    ahh... Thanks
  • dravenrosedravenrose Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    this power has a couple of major issues ive noticed

~ the target is simply way to small and completely impossible to hit anyone with unless your enemy is a standing rock this 2ft ground targets worthless would be much better if it located at the enemy your reticule is hovered on.

~ there is also a lingering bright green particle that youll find laying all over the land from every hunter that has used it in the last few hours >.>
    edited November 2013
    Its not rain of arrows that makes that its seismic shot daily
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • eyebreaker7eyebreaker7 Member Posts: 621 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Is there any hope to get the HR stronger in melee? Especially vs boses?
    I'm gonna rip your head off and make it my puppet! (NwN2)
    edited November 2013

melee for me was very weak at early lvl gets better as you go up
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    edited November 2013

By the high 30's with Blade Storm 3/3 and Aspect of the Pack 3/3 and a melee companion my melee DPS easily matches my ranged DPS excepting being able to apply Aimed Shot multiple times.
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
    edited November 2013
    I've noticed that when switching stances, you can't do anything but combat for a few seconds. Can't pick up gear, use a kit, etc. Is it really neccessary? Out of combat, we have all of our gear in place, no real need to enter combat mode.

I like wandering around with the bow active, and it's easier to remember, and notice, when you first leave combat.
  • badgerpants999badgerpants999 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Rain of arrows needs to happen faster, as it is right now, I'd only use it if there wasn't something else available
  • grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Rain of arrows needs to happen faster, as it is right now, I'd only use it if there wasn't something else available

I partly agree, some monsters like to stand off or stay in one place for a while. I use Rain of arrow on them to good effect, others - not so much.
  • arcmoon99arcmoon99 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I never use it mainly because the area is way to small. If it were the size of most AoEs, such as the DCs Chains of blazing light, it would be so much more useful.
    Arc, proud officer of Novus Ordo
    bannernwf_zps00ed5b05.jpg
    New to the game? Check out my build guide to give you an idea on how to set up your characters!
  • mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Bug: Class Mechanics: Grasping roots, Power: Boar Charge
    Someone already had posted about synergy of these two, but I can't find it and it isn't still fixed so I'm gonna post it.
    If you apply grasping roots at your target and then follow up with boar charge, the target remain knocked down till grasping roots effect is over. You can renew grasping roots debuff with some abilities and keep the target knocked down for like 15+ seconds or even forever if you can manage cooldowns.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • dreamhuntressxdreamhuntressx Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    That was me @mehguy138. My only concern is if it can be reproduced in PvP. I haven't got the chance to test myself, since to go into a match in Preview is kind of impossible, as nobody queues, even if u ask nicely and for what purpose.

Here's the video i made, again, just to make sure it doesn't go into oblivion and the issues goes live.

How to Prone with Ranger
    Leanan Sidhe (not "The Dresde Files" fairy!) - NW Legit Channel Moderator
  • mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    @dreamhuntressx, thank you for reply!) I'm really surprised they didn't fix it, haven't tested it myself in PvP too, just leveled my HR to 60, don't have any gear but crafted bow with perfect vorpal)
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • pallierpallier Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I found a really good rotation that works for HR the jump back, rain of arrows, thorn with quick shot/aimed shot but i've noticed that like 4 powers are almost the exact same power. a power that jumps into an enemy or shoots them to either root/lower defense/ or dodge 1 attack.... not very creative. I've noticed that some enemies like elementals, drow casters, priestess, and magma giants have skills that can't be dodged no matter how many times you do your dash you are hit by the skill and take damage and what's worse is most of those monsters have no cooldown for those skills so they can kill you before you kill them if there are more than on of them and you don't have more heals than just the potions.

can we get a reflect damage ability in our melee mode so that we have a way to fight those monsters and let them kill themselves? maybe a sword attack that debuffs your target so that all damage that is being done to you is taken by that target instead for the next 10 seconds, has a cooldown of 20 seconds and during the effect the HR receives a debuff that makes him/her unabled to be healed for that 10 seconds. Just a way HR can survive those massive flood of enemies with attacks that can't be dodge and live long enough to do something about it.

I jump around all the time laying down both thorns and rain of arrows making enemies run through them and every time they channel an ability or prepare to do a line shot (i step to the side) and use aimed shot to do major damage. when the melee aproach me i jump back and do aimed shot to hit them before they run up to me again... which is why my only problem is the ranged enemies with homing abilities that cant be dodged.

or how about switching the daily power with the encounter... make the interrupting shot daily into an encounter instead so we can silence those enemies so they can't use those ranged abilities and then make the encounter ability split the sky into a daily and increase its damage back to the original high damage so that you have to build your pool up to use it.
    Oh Atari how I miss you!
  • jd471980jd471980 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Question:

Class Feature: Aspect of the Falcon

Does this 1: increase at wills only or 2: at wills and Encounters and Dailys please?

Unsure if this is bugged as i don't see the tool top upgrade when i have added 3 points which should add 9 meters / feet?
  • xtraordinary91xtraordinary91 Member Posts: 323 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    Feeback: Hawk Shot / Melee buff

This skill in both ranged and Melee stances is very underwhelming. For a skill that I believe has been designed to be an high damage encounter, it is lackluster. It is never a good idea to design a skill around a random factor. Especially when that factor is range. From a PvPer's point of view, if Hawk shot were to make my rotation selection / fit on my bar, I would need it to do what it is designed to do. Be a nuke / finisher / high burst damage. In it's current state it is not reliable enough to do that. I would suggest removing the damage on range restriction, lowering the top end damage slightly, and drastically increasing the low end damage. It does not need any special CC effects. Just a high burst encounter,

The melee version: Oh man, where to start? The wording on this implies that it increases the next attacks damage rather than adding a small bonus damage amount. Because of this, Hawk Shot and the melee counter part will never be slotted on my bars purely because of this. How to fix? I really do not have any ideas with this one, I would suggest not adding a flat % damage increase to the next attack, as players would then potentially push a high spike damage potential when combined with Throw Caution. (More so if speccing to increase by a further 5%) However, something definitely needs to change here. Perhaps increase the damage the proc does, or look at another way that it can effectively buff the party offensively?

I love the fact that many of the skills are vying for my attention on the bar at the moment and I can assure you that at 60 for my PvP spec I am looking at having to choose between 3 of 6 powers to slot. Each of them bringing something different. That tells me you have done a sensational job with making me want to choose those powers.

As always, please keep up the good work.
    Desidus@Xtraordinary91
    19.9k PvP Control Wizard
    <Complaints Department>
  • silentraven72silentraven72 Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Every time I've tried to use it, my target ends up coming at me. The only way I've actually hit a target with it is to wait til I'm face-to-face, then aim the target area at my feet :/
  • giomanach1giomanach1 Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    jd471980 wrote: »
    Question:

Class Feature: Aspect of the Falcon

Does this 1: increase at wills only or 2: at wills and Encounters and Dailys please?

Unsure if this is bugged as i don't see the tool top upgrade when i have added 3 points which should add 9 meters / feet?

It's 3 feet with 1 point, an additional 5 feet for the 2nd and again 5 feet for the 3rd for a total of 13 feet (roughly 4 meters) according to the original tool-tip. Seeing all my powers come into range at the same time I'm certain it applies to all (At-Will, Encounter and Daily). Not sure if the range is actually accurate seeing the assumed max range of 93 feet isn't achievable from what I've measured.
  • obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Every time I've tried to use it, my target ends up coming at me. The only way I've actually hit a target with it is to wait til I'm face-to-face, then aim the target area at my feet :/

Actually I fire Rain of arrows right in front of me and then shoot at the enemy, they then run into the Rain and I switch to melee and hold them in it. (Well at least that's what I do at level 10-15 or so... ;))
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • autieblesamautieblesam Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Type: Feedback
    Category: Gameplay
    I feel as though the class's effectiveness is a bit unbalanced. At the very start of the game, quests are unusually easy and quick and you can get to level 10 without taking a point of damage. However, once you get to higher levels (starting around 12, I think), combat becomes very slow and a little tedious—especially with boss mobs—and potions get used more frequently than I've used them on any other class.

The hunter ranger class seems like an ideal solo-PvE class, although I imagine PvE would become very difficult on your own as your levels advance. I love the speed of the attacks and the way the class can switch between range and melee, but I feel that, in the event that melee would be engaged, the damage output should be significantly higher than the ranged output whereas it seems to be about the same as ranged. The trade-off, of course, would be that melee combat is not ideal for an HR as it seems as though the class should feature the lowest HP out of all of them.

On another note, the dodge move (shift + movement key or double tap movement key) I feel doesn't give enough distance to be significantly effective. It has to be used twice to successfully dodge most high-damage attacks and the player usually doesn't have enough time to do so before the attack hits.

On a much more positive note, I typically play as a female character and I love the armor designs for the class. It seems to be a rare occurrence to have a practical and realistic costume design in any MMO for female characters and this class has this even without the standard shirt and pants.

My favorite things about the hunter ranger are the speed, area of effect, and visual design. I find that, as a result of these, the class has a great feel and even better immersion than the others. This has become my favorite class. I was expecting a just-ranged class or, if the switch between ranged and melee was included, a class that was pay-to-play. I'm very glad to see how this class turned out so far.
  • giomanach1giomanach1 Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    BUG: POWERS

I've double checked, Rapid Fire supposedly has an 80' range but when measured I'm exactly 6 shift moves away from target at level 1. Tool-tip says 1 shift moves 8' in any given direction but that's the same as TR so it must be shorter leaving max range potential at under 61' (probably around 37'-49'). For comparison I checked TR ranged skills, Cloud of Steel has a supposed range of 40' but I'm just over 2 dodge rolls from my target before I'm within range of the power meaning the range is actually close to 20'.

Either Dodge and Shift move a character much further than reported or the range of powers are 50% shorter than stated.

These errors in actual range I'm sure helped put melee lovers panties in a wad and range lovers drool.
  • autieblesamautieblesam Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    umaeko wrote: »
    Category: Gameplay (animations)

The Hunter Ranger's idle standing animation seems to have the character look down at the floor. It feels really off to me to have an 'archer' character stare at the ground so. This was experienced playing a female wood elf hunter ranger.
    A desirable fix to that could be to simply tilt the chin a few degrees up so that the character might look straight ahead.

Category: Gear (animations)

The positioning of the Hunter Ranger's bow weapon is very jarring to the eye, as it really juts out to the right side of the character. To me it's an unpleasant immersion breaker that's constantly there.
    Desirably, the bow ought to have a more centered position in the character's back to mitigate this. I'd also ask that the bow's stowed position be vertically adjusted in order to be at an equal distance both the character's head and posterior (as is, the bow is very close to the head, but floats conspicuously farther from the lower back).

I'm with you on this one. The out-of-combat stance is very awkward and the way the character looks at the ground just doesn't quite seem right.

The way the bow hovers a small distance from the actual character also seems odd.
    edited November 2013
    warzog wrote: »
    5). How about reversing Split Shot and Aimed Shot in the list-I.E. start with Rapid Shot and Aimed Shot, with Split Shot earned later? (or make Aimed Shot an Encounter, like the TR's Lashing Blade?)

I completely agree with this idea. I love pretty much everything about Split Shot, but it feels like it needs to be an ability acquired at a higher level. I think the biggest thing about the hunter ranger being OP is simply that you have an effective AoE so early in the game (and a lot of the other posts here seem to support that idea).
  • katbozejziemikatbozejziemi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Md8B5yb.png

Might want to work on that bit a little more...
    edited November 2013
    Had problems with my companion getting stuck around almost every corner.
    I think I'm burned out. I've been testing the HR 19 days straight. I'll be back after the next patch.
    (I just hope it'll be better than the last two were.)
This discussion has been closed.