Comments

• Options
    kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    horebe wrote: »
    Hey Jenkins, 2 questions buddy:
    Fire away bud!
    1) I see that u use for PVP one complete set of Profound Instigator. It's better to use a entire set to gain the deflection bonus, or it's better to use 2/2 to gain the extra critical?
    I'm actually using the Grim Instigator for the HP bonus, and I'd recommend using the full 4/4 set... I just like the 4 set bonus, and 5% Deflection is hard to get anywhere else.
    2) Wich enchament to use now deep gash nerfed?
    I still run Perfect Vorpal man, as +50% Crit Severity is just still too good to pass up.
    Ty guys
    You're welcome... :cool:
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    cromejohnsencromejohnsen Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Greater Plaguefire is also nice (especially when going into open world pvp :D)
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Greater Plaguefire is also nice (especially when going into open world pvp :D)
    Yes, Greater Plaguefire is very good for PvP in the current meta, particularly open world! It's DoT effect, and ability to proc stacks, is very helpful to say the least... :cool:
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    oreonmilkoreonmilk Member Posts: 39
    edited May 2014
    Hey Kolat, I just respecced to SM, and have almost exact same as your build. I did 2 PK runs to compare as IV and SM. As SM, I slot Battlefury/IBS/Mighty Leap with Destroyer/steel blitz during entire run, except final boss where i replaced blitz with weapon master.
    Up to reaching the final boss, my overall dmg reduced by about 40% compared when i was running IV with deep gash+sots.
    Now this may varies cuz my CWs rarely pop singularity during my SM runs, and me still getting used to new encounter rotation + alternate weaving of WMS+wicked/SS.

So my question is this;
    do u use battlefury during adds phase in dungeon clearing? If you are, i think something is wrong with my rotation, and Mighty leap might not be a viable 3rd encounter.
    do u not use wicked strike at all during adds? cuz since there are no more WMS animation cancelling, and WMS dmg is inferior to wicked.

Thx in advance bud!
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    oreonmilk wrote: »
    Hey Kolat, I just respecced to SM, and have almost exact same as your build. I did 2 PK runs to compare as IV and SM. As SM, I slot Battlefury/IBS/Mighty Leap with Destroyer/steel blitz during entire run, except final boss where i replaced blitz with weapon master.
    Up to reaching the final boss, my overall dmg reduced by about 40% compared when i was running IV with deep gash+sots.
    Now this may varies cuz my CWs rarely pop singularity during my SM runs, and me still getting used to new encounter rotation + alternate weaving of WMS+wicked/SS.
    Ok, thanks for the info/research bud, always good to have information! :)
    So my question is this;
    do u use battlefury during adds phase in dungeon clearing? If you are, i think something is wrong with my rotation, and Mighty leap might not be a viable 3rd encounter.
    do u not use wicked strike at all during adds? cuz since there are no more WMS animation cancelling, and WMS dmg is inferior to wicked.
    1. I use Battle Fury for Adds/Bosses both.
    2. I don't use Wicked Strike at all, ever. Weapon Master Strike + Sure Strike.
    3. Third encounter is: Restoring Strike
    4. Weapon Master Strike is used to set up increased damage on your Sure Strike and Encounter attacks.
    Thx in advance bud!
    You're welcome mi amigo! :cool:
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Ok, thanks for the info/research bud, always good to have information! :)

1. I use Battle Fury for Adds/Bosses both.
    2. I don't use Wicked Strike at all, ever. Weapon Master Strike + Sure Strike.
    3. Third encounter is: Restoring Strike
    4. Weapon Master Strike is used to set up increased damage on your Sure Strike and Encounter attacks.

You're welcome mi amigo! :cool:

I see. So during trash, you spam WMS huh.. About that third encounter, you use Restoring Strike during trash clearance as well? Since its a single target encounter, I think we could probably squeeze a bit more dps with AoE encounter.. perhaps Not So Fast, Roar, Punishing Charge ?

BTW, I'm loving the huge IBS numbers on WMS+BF buff :D
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Note: I prefer Weapon Master over Steel Blitz, even on adds with a Perfect Vorpal. Not sure if that will change things for ya, just wanted to note that! :)
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Note: I prefer Weapon Master over Steel Blitz, even on adds with a Perfect Vorpal. Not sure if that will change things for ya, just wanted to note that! :)
    Thanks for the info bud. I'll try to do couple of runs to test them DPS wise :D
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Thanks for the info bud. I'll try to do couple of runs to test them DPS wise :D
    Cool bud, let me know how it works out for you... Data is always good for improving builds!
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Hey there hope everyone has had a good weekend. Kolat not sure if you remember my post a couple pages back but man I have respecced so many times between now and then. Think I have found my place for now but I thought I would share my thoughts on steel blitz.
    Hey there man, and yea I remember your post... So thanks for the info, more testing is always good! :cool:
    I have done parsing and the best I was able to manage was steel blitz doing a 20th of my overall damage. And this was on a hard carry run in Karr where I did 16 mil. The less carrying that you do the worse steel blitz seems to do.
    I can see that point, as obviously the more you are swinging at multiple baddies you'll proc Steel Blitz more and the better the overall party the less opportunity you'll have to do that. Makes sense to me...
    So my opinion is at that ratio, its better to just slot weapon master even if, like me, you are not focusing on crit.
    Good deal bud, many thanks for the information!
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    srjminsrjmin Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Hello, Kolat. Looking back a page you note that you never use wicked strike, just WMS, even for clearing large groups. Could you clarify whether this is due to ideal damage, not wishing to switch powers between trash/boss, the always-irritating WS rubberbanding, etc.? Thanks very much!
  • Options
    exaaexaa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Hey kolat!
    I'm really glad to see that almost everything I've been thinking in my own little testing and theorycrafting sessions was confirmed by you in this really nice spec for module 3! I guess it's either the only way to go right now, or I learned something from you in mod 2. Anyway, I find very interesting the way you use restorating strike, but there are a few things that make me think, and I'd like to know your opinion on these:
    - Is the survivability you get from those 6 CON points actually noticeable while dealing with hard encounters?
    - Don't you feel like 20 Dex is a little bit low? My toon has got a broken initial roll, and that's why I'm rerolling now.
    - The Lightfoot Thief is indeed an interesting choice, but thing is: how much does it tick for?
    - I'm also considering testing the Vanguard's Banner, mainly because the activation of the gwf's sigil is really slow, and i could use a few more hit points, not to mention it would benefit the whole party. What do you think of it and would you ever change it over your Thayan Book of the Dead, given the chance to get optimal stats anyway?

Thank you for sharing your hard work with us :D
    Thoradin Stoneforged - PvE GWF
    - Sanctuary -
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    srjmin wrote: »
    Hello, Kolat. Looking back a page you note that you never use wicked strike, just WMS, even for clearing large groups. Could you clarify whether this is due to ideal damage, not wishing to switch powers between trash/boss, the always-irritating WS rubberbanding, etc.?
    This is because, in my experience, Weapon Master's Strike is used to set up increase my damages on my Encounter Powers and Sure Strike. It is, for a Swordmaster, superior to Wicked Strike for that fact.
    srjmin wrote: »
    Thanks very much!
    You're welcome bud!

exaa wrote: »
    Hey kolat!
    Hey there!
    I'm really glad to see that almost everything I've been thinking in my own little testing and theorycrafting sessions was confirmed by you in this really nice spec for module 3! I guess it's either the only way to go right now, or I learned something from you in mod 2. Anyway, I find very interesting the way you use restorating strike
    It's worked well for me, and with the damage buffing/debuffing baddies Restoring Strike crits for nice numbers. :)
    but there are a few things that make me think, and I'd like to know your opinion on these:
    - Is the survivability you get from those 6 CON points actually noticeable while dealing with hard encounters?
    It equated out to about 2.5-3k more Hitpoints I think, and it helps a bit yes... Though Con was raised more to be able to skyrocket Power by not having to stack as much ArmPen.
    - Don't you feel like 20 Dex is a little bit low? My toon has got a broken initial roll, and that's why I'm rerolling now.
    It's been fine for me, though it's 2% less Deflection and 4% less Critical Strike, the increase in Power from this stat allocation seems to make up for it IMO.
    - The Lightfoot Thief is indeed an interesting choice, but thing is: how much does it tick for?
    It ticks for 300 damage that is lowered by adds resistances... It's more for additional sustained damage and the DoT effect. Could be changed, but I've liked it thus far. :)
    - I'm also considering testing the Vanguard's Banner, mainly because the activation of the gwf's sigil is really slow, and i could use a few more hit points, not to mention it would benefit the whole party. What do you think of it and would you ever change it over your Thayan Book of the Dead, given the chance to get optimal stats anyway?
    I like the damage % increase from the Sigil of the Great Weapon Fighter, along with it's damage decrease. I'd have to look at it, as the Thayan Book of the Dead's stat's are pretty nice IMO. Worth testing though of course...
    Thank you for sharing your hard work with us :D
    No worries man, my pleasure! :)
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    gman118gman118 Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Hey, i really like this build(why i've been asking quite a few questions) but on the 2nd boon of IWD,why did you take Stamina/guard gain? My reason to say this is because the 250 healing bonus=3%, though i heard that 3% adds to lifesteal, Regen. etc. so wouldn't Restoring Strike work a little more effectively with it,Because i have sometimes got hit with Restoring that has given me 32k health(so instant heal) but when i don't that extra 3% would be nice.What is your thoughts on this??
  • Options
    gman118gman118 Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Possible scratch that out,now i'm hearing it doesn't effect anything except DC heals and pots :/
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    gman118 wrote: »
    Possible scratch that out,now i'm hearing it doesn't effect anything except DC heals and pots :/
    I didn't think it impacted Life Steal or Regeneration, however if it does then that is definitely something to take... lol :)
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    sorcerer78sorcerer78 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Hello and thnx for the a great read!!!
    Any update on the last 2 IWD boons??

EDIT: What do you think about the new Chicken companion!?
  • Options
    binto1binto1 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Holy <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>....perfect bonding runestones are worth 7 mil each...and you have 3. I've been playing for a year and I haven't made anywhere near that kind of AD. Care to share your secret? Deep pockets?
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    sorcerer78 wrote: »
    Hello and thnx for the a great read!!!
    You're welcome bud!
    Any update on the last 2 IWD boons??
    As yet no, but I'll try and throw something up in the coming days... :)
    EDIT: What do you think about the new Chicken companion!?
    I am getting one for novelty alone! LOL

Not good for a Destro build, as since they fixed the 'Poultry Power' ability to not trigger Bonding Runestone, it's offensive capabilities are lacking and Ioun Stone of Might is still better for PvE.

binto1 wrote: »
    Holy <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>....perfect bonding runestones are worth 7 mil each...and you have 3. I've been playing for a year and I haven't made anywhere near that kind of AD. Care to share your secret? Deep pockets?
    Gotta work the Auction House, buy Zen low and sell high, while making awesome trades... :)
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    binto1binto1 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I am not worthy sir...

Also, what do you think of Flourish? I see a lot of GWF's using restoring strike, but I've always like Flourish better. I could be wrong.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I am not worthy sir...
    Oh stop... You enjoy the game, and that's what matters bud!
    Also, what do you think of Flourish? I see a lot of GWF's using restoring strike, but I've always like Flourish better. I could be wrong.
    Flourish is solid. I have just found that the quicker animation, and shorter cool down time, of Restoring Strike (and Takedown for that matter) to simply be better when using the Swordmaster Paragon path.

Just my experience talking here bud... :cool:
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    sorcerer78sorcerer78 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited June 2014

I am getting one for novelty alone! LOL

Not good for a Destro build, as since they fixed the 'Poultry Power' ability to not trigger Bonding Runestone, it's offensive capabilities are lacking and Ioun Stone of Might is still better for PvE.

What exactly does 'Poultry Power' do while we are at it?
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    What exactly does 'Poultry Power' do while we are at it?
    It's the Augment Power that Ioun Stones have, just a different name for it. :)
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    thormarthormar Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Hello mates. First, thx kola for a great guide. I started to play as a GWF and read a lot about guides and builds. I would like to choose between yours or Misa's pve/pvp hybrid build, or maybe merge both a bit. Is your build viable in domination pvp? Not against premades, but just pugs? I cant afford to have separate characters to pve and pvp due of lack of time, u know, children and so :) Any advices about what to do? Cheers!
  • Options
    elusiveonen7elusiveonen7 Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    thormar wrote: »
    Hello mates. First, thx kola for a great guide. I started to play as a GWF and read a lot about guides and builds. I would like to choose between yours or Misa's pve/pvp hybrid build, or maybe merge both a bit. Is your build viable in domination pvp? Not against premades, but just pugs? I cant afford to have separate characters to pve and pvp due of lack of time, u know, children and so :) Any advices about what to do? Cheers!

I think you will struggle to pvp with this build. Swordmaster lacks mobility and you'll find without threatening rush, some classes will be impossible to touch. I imagine that Leroy can get away with murder due to his fairly high end gear setup. Most people don't have the time or the disposable income to manage it. I think you'll be forced to go Iron Vanguard.
  • Options
    sancidsancid Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Punishing is the shining when it comes to building Ap especially with cw's in party
  • Options
    fr3akout3fr3akout3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 72
    edited June 2014
    Great guide Leeroy, seems like you are playing a bit of DPS and Support, that's nice of you :)

You should give the new IV a go, you may like it. (Test Servers of course :) Personal preference as always). I assume you have Rank 10's? and pretty much everything maxed? I was running SM as well, doing perfect rotations etc, new module and recent changes I have changed to the IV, loving it! The surviverbility is just far too great.

Surprised you didn't go with the Feat "Toughness" as well? A bit of HP always helps.

If you give IV a go, try these Passives sometimes, Destroyer + Trample / Encounters always slotted Front Line + ISB and optional, depending on the situation (NSF/ROAR/BATTLE FURY/RESTORING) Whatever you want to bring to the party + enchant. Have a squash soup + potion of Heroism + Feat Vicious Adv and your crit chance should be around 47% (not bad without WM slotted)

You will see of course a lot of 100K + ISB hits + 50 - 80 K yellow, non crit hits.

A bit of life steal, and you will be the ultimate Support/Dps Machine/Tank :p

We are always here to learn new things but SM seems a bit too squishy now in my opinion :)
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Swordmaster, even with Roar, is rough in PvP so I'd highly recommend Iron Vanguard if you plan on PvPing on a regular basis. You can use Swordmaster, however it just isn't as good... At all, for PvP.

I am currently working on a Iron Vanguard PvE Destroyer build, which would still be decent at PvP. Hope to have it updated in the coming week... :)

Did a lot of traveling for work and school the past few weeks so I am behind on Icewind Dale, but I'll be updating on Black Ice testing as soon as I can also!
    va8Ru.gif