Install Arc
Options

Dakkon Blackblade - PvE Destroyer Build

Comments

• Options
    kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    helloz2 wrote: »
    But it's good to see that they help though, gotta spam those dailies yo.
    Yea, it's enough to be noticed, at least to me... :)
    helloz2 wrote: »
    Guess I'll be sticking to them for now, thanks again for the input.
    Any time mi amigo, any time!
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    burkaanc wrote: »
    and why u dont have VT artifact ?
    Working on one now, and juggling things around to try and maximize Power just a bit more! :cool:
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    pando83pando83 Member Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    So terror can be as good as Vorpal to dish out damage in PvE and PvP?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    pando83 wrote: »
    So terror can be as good as Vorpal to dish out damage in PvE and PvP?
    Well... Now there I honestly don't have the specific data to support/deny the above assertion.

Terror, post Mod 3/PvP update, may be better in PvP because of the Crit %/Severity suppression effects of Tenacity. Particularly for Sentinel specs with low crit... Dakkon rocks about 48-49% Crit when in Combat because of the Weapon Master passive. That needs to be tested.

PvE, I'd still say Vorpal is best, because of Deep Gash procs and such. However, I do not feel Terror to be a bad choice... Plus it looks the coolest!
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Now testing out Perfect Lighting versus Perfect Vorpal.

I just love the look/effect of lighting and how it pings around, seeing if the maxing out power increases the Lightning Damage up enough to actually be competitive... We shall see! :cool:
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Greetings all...

I've been enjoying the Perfect Lighting, and it does do a bit less damage then Perfect Vorpal, at least in my estimation, but it's been **** fine in my opinion thus far. Plus the effect and added aggro makes you more of a magnet, which is not a bad thing IMO.

I also respec'd slightly taking the 2% AP gain in the Sharandar boons, and also taking the 10% Guard Meter regen there also. Changed from the Lifesteal boon at the end of the Dread Ring also, because I just felt like switching it up really... :)

Figured a little bit more utility/survivability for the 'glass cannon' would be helpful and not overly detrimental to a small loss in DPS.
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Just wanted to post a small update:

My current Encounter rotation when running through a Dungeon is:

Not So Fast / Indomitable Battle Strike / Frontline Surge

My current Encounter rotation when facing a Boss (solo DPS) is only different by switching Not So Fast for Restoring Strike.

Since I've been running with Perfect Lighting I have switched out Weaponmaster for Trample the Fallen in my passive slot when running through a Dungeon. When I solo a boss I switch Weaponmaster back in.

It's been very competitive on DPS in Dungeons and I've been enjoying it immensely... Sure I pull everything in the Dungeons (I'm looking at you Spellplague!), but it just gives me more fools to kill! :cool:
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I will have quite a bit of work/testing to do with all the changes to the Destroyer tree! :cool:

(Thread in Barracks here)
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    is it time to sell vorpal :D ? might switch to lightning/terror, what seems to be better ?

finally a reason to switch from that fugly but OP vorpal :D
    Paladin Master Race
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    burkaanc wrote: »
    is it time to sell vorpal :D ? might switch to lightning/terror, what seems to be better ?

finally a reason to switch from that fugly but OP vorpal :D
    Vorpal will probably still be the best PvE Enchantment when we are critting 40-50% of the time... So don't forsee a major change as yet. Could be wrong, and wouldn't mind being wrong! :)
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    handofdonkhandofdonk Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Ello chap!

Having followed a load of guides here, as well as popping through a fair bit of game time myself, I finally decided, given I had a free respec lurking around, to turn to the dark side and explore Iron Vanguard prior to module 3. It's made a big difference in several ways, many of which I hope to detail here...

First off, subjective stuff.

Whether it's down to loadout, playstyle or just the fact that I'm building it slightly suboptimally, I find that my SM build *feels* far different from my IV build.

First impression loadout:

Swordmaster

At-Will:
    Weapon Master's strike
    Sure Strike

Encounter
    Mighty Leap
    IBS
    Takedown

Daily
    Crescendo
    Avalanche Of Steel

Passives:
    Destroyer
    Steel Blitz(PVE), Steel Grace(PVP)

Iron Vanguard

At Will:
    Wicked Strike
    Threatening Rush

Encounter
    Frontline Surge
    IBS
    Takedown

Daily
    Indomitable Strength
    Avalanche Of Steel

Passives:
    Destroyer
    Trample The Fallen

Both assume Deep gash, focused destroyer and relentless battle fury (and Unstoppable recovery for sheer utility.)

Currently running a Lesser Terror and Briartwine, respectively.

Impressions:

While (satacking recovery a little, as I am, Vigilant Warlord being cheap and all) the cooldowns on Swordmaster feel quick and near-always available, there seems to be something lacking in terms of the responsiveness of having Mighty Leap as a gap-closer and WMS.

That having been said, Frontline Surge hits like a sledgehammer, and comboes so well with FLS, then IBS, then takedown. I'd be surprised if anything is left standing after that. PVPwise, I'd consider slotting Sure sutrike, just for sheer response time. WS feels just too slow, although Threatening Rush is just far too much fun.

In truth, I'm looking for making something like Dakkon, on a budget. Or, would be happy to hone his trade.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    handofdonk wrote: »
    Ello chap!
    'ello!
    handofdonk wrote: »
    In truth, I'm looking for making something like Dakkon, on a budget. Or, would be happy to hone his trade.
    I'd wait for the Mod 3 to come out before respecing, I think its only 3 weeks or so away, and things change a bit with it. Though if you're having fun, and respec again if necessary, do as you will! :)

For example, after 3 days of testing Mod 3 on the Test Shard my feats (unless things change significantly) will be changing too:

Instigator: None.

Destroyer: Great Weapon Focus, Deep Gash, Executioner's Style, Focused Destroyer, and Destroyer's Purpose.

Sentinel: Unstoppable Recovery or Scale Agility (whatever is ones preference), and Powerful Challenge.

I don't think the damage is the same as before, though I do think it's pretty snazzy and if utilized correctly the 15% Mark Damage is pretty darn good overall w/the buffs to later Destroyer Feats. :cool:
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Thus far the above build, when properly weaving of Threatening Rush and using the Destroyer/Trample the Fallen passives while in a party with good CC (I'm looking at you HRsCWs!), has been pretty solid. Not as good as Live of course as Deep Gash is just stupid good, however even with Perfect Vorpal I've been doing good damage. I need to ACT it out, but the Pirate King runs I have done have gone smoothly, etc.

Since that is a quick Dungeon I like using it to test out DPS as I've done it a bajillion times... Just my personal preference.

Other enchantments are good... Perfect Terror/Perfect Lightning/Greater Plaguefire all seem solid. However with 37.5% Critical Chance I still feel Perfect Vorpal is the best DPS wise IMO.
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    lewel555lewel555 Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I need to ACT it out, but the Pirate King runs I have done have gone smoothly, etc.

Since that is a quick Dungeon I like using it to test out DPS

And that's the mistake. With its gazillions of static weak, cc-less mobs, PKs is the ideal dungeon to accumulate and keep the 20 stacks that allegedly make for the 45% loss of DPS b/c of DG being nuked. In PK you just keep waving your sword, Unstoppable is instant.
    Plz make your ACT tests on, say, the Chartilifax fight (lair of the mad dragon), where there is a lot of non-DPS time (getting glued, getting stunned, running) between two adds, b/c there are not many of them, and they're ranged, and getting Unstoppable is not that easy.
  • Options
    inthefade462inthefade462 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I like to run ToS as my test dungeon.

stronger mobs than PK, some of which default to range others stay clumped up together. good mix of aoes (free determ kind and "i better move" kind) and cc (blademaster charge). final boss is good mix of aoe and single target as well.

Once you run ACT though Kolat i'm sure you'll discover as everyone else has already, that 27.5% dmg buffs to 50% of your dmg = 13.675% dmg increase on that 50%, or 63.675% dmg, and doesn't make up for losing over half your dmg from DG and SoTS nerfs. Even the up to 20% bump on IBS execute (yay 200k crits on mobs with 5k hp total, worthless except artificial paingiver inflation) only makes up a 2% bump in actual dmg, it does nothing to improve clear time or ease of dungeon runs.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Just updated from the Devs...
    Hey guys, after looking at some damage parses and doing some runs internally we are making a change to Destroyer's Purpose.

• Destroyer's Purpose: This feat now gives 2% (up from 1%) per stack and now lasts 25 seconds (up from 20 seconds).

This change increases the benefit for managing to keep Destroyer's Purpose up while making it slightly easier to maintain.

Thank you for your continued feedback!
    So now we can get 40% Damage increase from the Capstone? Yes please!!! :cool:

HappyDance.gif
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    April's fool.
  • Options
    koalazebra1koalazebra1 Member Posts: 1,173 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    lewel555 wrote: »
    April's fool.

hahahaha if it is. awesome!!! LOL!
    but it'll also make me cry!
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Looks like it should be on the Test Shard this Friday... :)
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Anyway, it has still all the issues mentionned by the community: hidden deep in Destroyer branch, it's very situationnal, and even if it was not situationnal it's still an at least 20% loss in DPS compared to the Live server gwf. And the charts that will appear from next Friday on (well of course if people run real dungeons and not PK) will probably show a gwf at 60% of his current DPS.

On the preview server, the effect of Power has been buffed (for any class). High end gwfs tend to have a lot of Power. Without changing anything in their builds, CWs do 25% more damage on Preview. Therefore, everything being equal, the gwf damage on preview server should be 25% higher than on live server. If it currently delivers 60% of the damage on live server, and if from next Friday on it delivers 80% of the damage on live server, it's still not even the half of what would be needed in term of damage to preserve the gwf to become again an unwanted piece of dead wood in dungeon parties.

Having lost his SotS debuff, the gwf could be wanted in parties only as a DPS, a guy that makes the runs shorter. The current live gwf is already over-DPS-ed by, say, the CW. There should be a 50% gain in DPS just to compensate for the loss of the debuff. So far, it's no debuff any more and 60%-80% of the current DPS.

Still very far from breaking even.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Anyway, it has still all the issues mentionned by the community: hidden deep in Destroyer branch,
    This is a Destroyer Guide, just FYI. ;)
    it's very situationnal,
    I don't see it as 'very situational' at all... A GWF, as a Destroyer, is popping Unstoppable very often in fights. Maybe you won't have it within the first 5 seconds of a Boss fight, but as soon as it procs you should (with 25 Second up time) be able to maintain it indefinitely and/or have very little downtime.
    and even if it was not situationnal it's still an at least 20% loss in DPS compared to the Live server gwf. And the charts that will appear from next Friday on (well of course if people run real dungeons and not PK) will probably show a gwf at 60% of his current DPS.
    It's still an improvement over what the original changes were, and that is progress forward that should be appreciated. At least in my opinion...
    Still very far from breaking even.
    I understand where we are not breaking even mi amigo, I'm simply happy that the Dev's listened to the posts/data that we were far lower then Live and made an effort to address that...

Bottom line, the changes will end up being whatever the Dev's make. I will, personally, adapt my playstyle and build to maximize whatever my chosen role is at the given time. I've been playing GWF since open Beta, and we've been red headed step children for a healthy portion of that time. However, that honestly doesn't diminish my enjoyment of the class! Call me crazy, cooky, coo-coo for co-co-puffs, etc. :)

It's just how I roll, and I'll continue to give the Devs honest feedback on my perception/opinion of the Class, and what they do is what they will do. I'll still be playing GWF as I love the class... Pure and simple. :cool:
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    oreonmilkoreonmilk Member Posts: 39
    edited April 2014
    hey Kolat, did you get a chance to run ACT on destroyer+weapon master VS destroyer+trample passive dmg in preview? I've been using the first passive combo for both ads and boss fights, and it seems to be doing decent dmg considering the P.Vorp I have. Since DG is gonna be perma-non-crit in mod 3, I'm thinking of using P.Flaming instead of vorp. and started to think destroyer+weapon master might not be the best for ads phase no more. Consider I'm always running CN with at least 2 CWs. Also would appreciate if anyone have ACT on P.vorpal vs other (P.lightning/flaming/etc) on our new GWF changes. Really wanna know if vorpal is still our BiS enchantment Mod 3.

Thanks in advance! cheers
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    oreonmilk wrote: »
    hey Kolat, did you get a chance to run ACT on destroyer+weapon master VS destroyer+trample passive dmg in preview? I've been using the first passive combo for both ads and boss fights, and it seems to be doing decent dmg considering the P.Vorp I have. Since DG is gonna be perma-non-crit in mod 3, I'm thinking of using P.Flaming instead of vorp. and started to think destroyer+weapon master might not be the best for ads phase no more. Consider I'm always running CN with at least 2 CWs. Also would appreciate if anyone have ACT on P.vorpal vs other (P.lightning/flaming/etc) on our new GWF changes. Really wanna know if vorpal is still our BiS enchantment Mod 3.

Thanks in advance! cheers
    Hey bud, I haven't run ACT as yet... The program just hates me, and never works on my comp. Most likely user error on my end though! lol :)

However, I've been running Destroyer/Trample the Fallen over Destroyer/Weapon Master with Perfect Lightning over Perfect Vorpal... Perfect Lightning procs Destroyers Purpose and Rampaging Madness a helluva lot faster then Perfect Vorpal. I mean, Perfect Vorpal isn't bad by any stretch, and in fact may still be better. However I feel other Enchantments are comparable, and I tend to use Pefect Flaming in the PvP open world area for the DoT effect.

Still a lot of testing ahead, hope that info helps a bit! :cool:
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    oreonmilkoreonmilk Member Posts: 39
    edited April 2014
    Hey bud, I haven't run ACT as yet... The program just hates me, and never works on my comp. Most likely user error on my end though! lol :)

However, I've been running Destroyer/Trample the Fallen over Destroyer/Weapon Master with Perfect Lightning over Perfect Vorpal... Perfect Lightning procs Destroyers Purpose and Rampaging Madness a helluva lot faster then Perfect Vorpal. I mean, Perfect Vorpal isn't bad by any stretch, and in fact may still be better. However I feel other Enchantments are comparable, and I tend to use Pefect Flaming in the PvP open world area for the DoT effect.

Still a lot of testing ahead, hope that info helps a bit! :cool:

Thx for the response.. Hurmm.. I hvnt got any experience running with P.Lightning tho.. but from your point above, it seems to triumph P.Flaming when it comes to PVE due to the chain procs..
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    oreonmilk wrote: »
    Thx for the response.. Hurmm.. I hvnt got any experience running with P.Lightning tho.. but from your point above, it seems to triumph P.Flaming when it comes to PVE due to the chain procs..
    For PvE the chain procs do seem to click on Destroyer's Purpose, on the Test Shard, faster then any other Enchantment. Now sometimes that can only be a few seconds, but other times, depending on cooldowns/enemy position it can be a tad longer. I don't think the DPS difference cause by those few seconds are very significant, but I do feel they will add up to be noticeable over the course of an entire dungeon. Particularly longer ones...
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    inthefade462inthefade462 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    For PvE the chain procs do seem to click on Destroyer's Purpose, on the Test Shard, faster then any other Enchantment. Now sometimes that can only be a few seconds, but other times, depending on cooldowns/enemy position it can be a tad longer. I don't think the DPS difference cause by those few seconds are very significant, but I do feel they will add up to be noticeable over the course of an entire dungeon. Particularly longer ones...

I don't see why you would choose lightning over anything else just for dest purpose procs. it takes about 4 seconds to max stacks and you will maintain max stacks as long as you don't stop fighting.

with the longer duration (25 vs 20) I don't see this as being an issue.

You should continue to choose weapon enchants based on other factors, aggro vs dmg in the case of lightning vs vorpal.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Update: 4/14/2014: Test Shard Information

Summary: Swordmaster may be the better DPS spec for PvE over Iron Vanguard once Mod 3 goes live.

So I've been testing this on and off between two equally spec'd characters on the Test Shard over the past few days. The Iron Vanguard spec is the same as above, sans no Instigator and I took Unstoppable Recovery/Powerful Challenge in the Sentinel tree over Student of the Sword/Vicious Advantage.

The current Swordmaster spec is pure Destroyer tree: Great Weapon Focus, Deep Gash, Staying Power, Executioner's Style, Focused Destroyer, Battle Awareness, and Destroyer's Purpose for the capstone.

The use of Weapon Master's Strike debuff effect and weaving in Sure Strike/Wicked Strike and Encounter Powers seems much more effective, overall when you have the full 40% bonus from Destroyer's Purpose, than the Mark damage from Iron Vanguard.

For example with Indomitable Battle Strike, my high (on the Test Shard) w/o Combat Advantage and when a target was Marked, prone, had the 40% damage buff up, and the baddie was at about 10% health was 48k. With full Weapon Master's Strike debuff, 40% damage buff up, and the baddie at around 10% health I hit 58k.

Now, this is without ACT/Hard Data (sorry for you number cruncher lovers!), it is from my experience as a GWF for almost a year now and keeping mental track of the numbers and speed with which I have killed the same baddies between the toons.

Right now I am running, on Swordmaster, the following: Weapon Master's Strike/Sure Strike, Not So Fast/X/Indomitable Battle Strike, Crescendo/Slam.

The X has been varying between: Flourish/Not So Fast/Roar/Punishing Charge/Restoring Strike

Each have their merits, but I'd love comments on these choices...

Figured I'd share what I've been learning... I look forward to any comments/knowledge/info anyone else has from Test Shard experience and/or just general ideas. :cool:
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    johorojohoro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0
    edited April 2014
    Thanks for your hard work.I don't have time to play on preview shard,your information insight a lot.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    johoro wrote: »
    Thanks for your hard work.I don't have time to play on preview shard,your information insight a lot.
    I wouldn't call it hard work bud... lol

I do it for fun and because I love the game! :)

Still more testing to do, and will probably respec a few times once live, but I'll keep updating and if anyone else has info to share please do so!
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I wouldn't call it hard work bud... lol

I do it for fun and because I love the game! :)

Still more testing to do, and will probably respec a few times once live, but I'll keep updating and if anyone else has info to share please do so!

Yes, thank you for your hard work.

I am relatively new to playing a GWF and I really do like it. I do like the Swordmaster path over the Iron Vanguard path, since it seems to be focused more on killing things rather than on knockdowns and prones as IV seems to do with its reliance on Frontline Surge. So I do appreciate guides like this to help me be a better Swordmaster Destroyer GWF player.