test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Exploit Follow up

dezstravusdezstravus Member Posts: 2 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Hey All,

We currently are in the process of taking action against a subset of accounts that were confirmed to have utilized exploits that affected the game balance or economy.

These accounts may be banned, temporarily or permanently, depending on the severity of exploit utilization. Anyone who is affected by this will receive notification via email.

While we have taken all precautions necessary to ensure that no false positives made it into our final list of accounts to take action against, we do acknowledge that some players who were banned may wish to follow up with us. If you had an account banned and wish to escalate the issue to our support team, please create a ticket at support.perfectworld.com or send an email to customerservice@perfectworld.com

Please note that forum discussions about specific accounts being banned is against our forum guidelines, thus any threads on the topic may be closed. Thank you in advance for your understanding.

Thank you for your patience and support while we continue to do everything in our power to ensure that Neverwinter remains a fair and balanced game experience.

-Dezstravus and the Neverwinter Team

Update 1030AM Pacific Time: This is related to two specific bugs that allowed players to defeat bosses at a rate that was higher than intended, or without the intended challenge using a one-hit-kill exploit. It is not related to Astral Diamond/Gateway issue that was identified earlier today. For more information regarding that issue, please see this thread.
Post edited by dezstravus on

Comments

• Options
    seraxiseraxi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thanks! Mabey the AH will normalize now.
  • Options
    gdante7111111gdante7111111 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    good that your moving along as soon as possible with these cheaters.
  • Options
    diorieldioriel Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    For those of us who didn't cheat it's made the game tough to play. I can't afford anything on the AH right now, it's kind of ridiculous. Thanks for looking into it.
    Leader of Conviction: find me in game if you're looking for a friendly guild!

Looking for reviews (will trade)!
    Arachnophobia
    Code: NW-DMRQYIZQT
    For all the spider-haters out there :p
  • Options
    lisau1974lisau1974 Member Posts: 100
    edited May 2013
    seraxi wrote: »
    Thanks! Mabey the AH will normalize now.

It won't. Only way to normalize it is with a complete wipe, but PW/Cryptic are too greedy/lazy to do this as proven by Reddit.

And Reddit strikes again. This game is dead. Absolutely no way to fix it now. People have billions of AD and bought out all the Zen. Wipe, no wipe - you already lost and NWO goes on record as the biggest fail in MMO history.

If I was a HotN player or Guardian, I would try for a class action law suit.
  • Options
    svannstonesvannstone Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What does it even mean to ban an account in a game where you can open a new account for free?
  • Options
    gimpylosergimpyloser Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    svannstone wrote: »
    What does it even mean to ban an account in a game where you can open a new account for free?

It means a lot. For one thing it removes much of the artificially inflated currency and items from the game. Obviously not all, but some. Also it removes that players account. Sure, it may be free to create another one, but you lose any zen purchases, all your gear, and have to start fresh. We see the same thing in other free to play games and banning is effective and still very painful in FTP games. Just check out the league of legends tribunal forum if you don't believe me. People freak over losing an account, free or not.
  • Options
    craftchest72craftchest72 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I only have one thing to say to this issue. There sure as heck better NOT be a character wipe after all the money that has been spent on founders packs and zen thus far. Not mad, just sayin. We would be rather put out.

Love the game though :D Thanks for it!
    CC
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    There are no plans for another wipe at this time. :)
  • Options
    ganatlaiganatlai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    These accounts may be banned, temporarily or permanently, depending on the severity of exploit utilization. Anyone who is affected by this will receive notification via email.

Pretty sure I didn't recieve an email for being banned. (This is my friend's account)
  • Options
    gimpylosergimpyloser Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I only have one thing to say to this issue. There sure as heck better NOT be a character wipe after all the money that has been spent on founders packs and zen thus far. Not mad, just sayin. We would be rather put out.

Love the game though :D Thanks for it!
    CC

The time for wipes has passed. If something bad enough happens, we may see a short rollback, but for issues like this they will just snipe specific accounts.
  • Options
    wolfheartazwolfheartaz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There are no plans for another wipe at this time. :)

And this is why the game will never be the big success it could be...

Your company should really re-think this option
  • Options
    oreoz2573oreoz2573 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wtf does a 3 day ban do?

The guy on the aforementioned reddit link only go three days.

his actions WEREN'T severe???????

Please explain, cryptic.
    "If you're going through Hell, keep going." -Winston Churchill
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    xenogias1xenogias1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    And this is why the game will never be the big success it could be...

Your company should really re-think this option

They would lose so many more players if they do a wipe now than they have lost because of exploits. If you think otherwise you aren't to bright. Its a very small portion of the player base that actually use the forums and even know an exploit is the reason things are as expensive as they are. But if they logged in one day to find a character wipe after being told there would be no more they would instantly uninstall the game. I know I would along with a chargeback on every single dollar I had spent even if they "refunded" it.

However all that said most of the exploiters had to have gotten a 3day ban which is pathetic. One of them is a popular streamer who exploited the **** out of the game and still has the balls to act as if he did nothing wrong. But of course if they perma ban him they would probably lose 1k or more players so you know that wont happen.
  • Options
    akrylumakrylum Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 51
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for this, but `you dont think that a reset is better ? WIPE !! and fix class
  • Options
    terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    akrylum wrote: »
    Thanks for this, but `you dont think that a reset is better ? WIPE !! and fix class

No and if they wipe the game you owe me and every other player who has never exploited $300,000 each in compensation because you asked for the wipe.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    oreoz2573 wrote: »
    wtf does a 3 day ban do?

The guy on the aforementioned reddit link only go three days.

his actions WEREN'T severe???????

Please explain, cryptic.

They said they are reviewing. At a guess everyone identified as using the exploit was flagged for the 3 day ban. those who research indicate abused it more than a couple of times will likely find a second ban letter following this one.

And people didn't believe me when I told them how Cryptic has always handled exploits. First they don't talk about fight club. Second they don't actively do anything about fight club until they can shut it down. Third after fight club is shut down they go after the people who attended fight club. Last they never ever talk about fight club.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah he had posted in another topic saying the investigation is still ongoing so additional sanctions are still possible.
  • Options
    pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A server wide wipe isn't the answer, the answer is simple anyone that used these exploits Repeatedly needs a perma ban or at the very least needs to get a complete items wipe and character wipe.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited May 2013
    pilf3r wrote: »
    A server wide wipe isn't the answer, the answer is simple anyone that used these exploits Repeatedly needs a perma ban or at the very least needs to get a complete items wipe and character wipe.

Yup, instead of wiping the servers, wipe every account linked to an IP that's been flagged as an exploiter.
    The "save your computer" and one time codes that Cryptic use make it extremely easy for them to spot alt accounts.
  • Options
    klixanklixan Member Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Yup, instead of wiping the servers, wipe every account linked to an IP that's been flagged as an exploiter.
    The "save your computer" and one time codes that Cryptic use make it extremely easy for them to spot alt accounts.

Aha! That is a really clever idea!

I couldn't see how bans of any kind could be effective, because by now, most of the exploiters have moved their ill gotten gains to alts. But if the alts were also banned, then that would be a nice sting in the tail :)
  • Options
    hairwaxhairwax Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    FINALLY! some justice done
  • Options
    silentblowzsilentblowz Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Raiderz died when pple started duping items and damage stacking,
    strange how at that time, the forums were the same as now, lol.
    guess now neverwinter will die out soon, glad i didnt spend any cash, losers r those who did, lol. funny that cash shoppers will never leave a dying game simply cuz they would feel like an idiot for spending cash in the first place,... funny how stubbornness and unnecessary pride gets in
    P.S Good bye!! waiting on elder scroll
  • Options
    fotzikfotzik Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ranncore wrote: »

Except multiple people can end up using the same IP since an IP is not unique.
  • Options
    toolkit68toolkit68 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    To get back to topic i would like to mention that i have been away roughly 24 hours. In this very short period the zen-exchange has taken a brutal dive from around 380 yesterday to exchanges around 260-270 right now. You can litterally watch the 'sell zen' tab and see how constantly postings of zen sales in ammounts of around 200s are posted into the system. If the action against the exploiters would have been working we wouldnt see something like this. I am a buyer - so i guess i should be happy - but i am also an analyst in real life and can see the unusual in it.
  • Options
    natsumynatsumy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Raiderz died when pple started duping items and damage stacking,
    strange how at that time, the forums were the same as now, lol.
    guess now neverwinter will die out soon, glad i didnt spend any cash, losers r those who did, lol. funny that cash shoppers will never leave a dying game simply cuz they would feel like an idiot for spending cash in the first place,... funny how stubbornness and unnecessary pride gets in
    P.S Good bye!! waiting on elder scroll

I played raiderz, i even bought the elite pack, though i left the game when i capped the max lvl and after weeks and weeks of waiting there was nothing to do on game i migrated on another game brand new. There was exploiters on Raiderz as well but they got permaban which i wish would happen here as well.
    I don't regret my purchase on Raiderz and i can't stand people like you who voice out loud they won't spend but if they get the chance they would exploit the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> out of a game to get any small advantage they can. So don't let the door hit your buttocs when you get out...nobody will miss ya anyway. ;)
  • Options
    reportegotbannedreportegotbanned Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Joined some dungeons .. Didnt know people was exploiting .. Left group .. Reported glitching and buggs = banned for 3 days
  • Options
    toolkit68toolkit68 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Joined some dungeons .. Didnt know people was exploiting .. Left group .. Reported glitching and buggs = banned for 3 days
    It was clearly stated that if you want to discuss/escalate your personal situation you should send a ticket to support. Nobody is perfect - so of course it might hit a few innocent - jus make your ticket and everything will probably be fine.
  • Options
    reportegotbannedreportegotbanned Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Done it for many hours ago .. Still no answer ..
    Didnt even get any answers when I petitioned the glitches and buggs either
  • Options
    mrfappmeistermrfappmeister Member Posts: 38
    edited May 2013
    xenogias1 wrote: »
    They would lose so many more players if they do a wipe now than they have lost because of exploits. If you think otherwise you aren't to bright. Its a very small portion of the player base that actually use the forums and even know an exploit is the reason things are as expensive as they are. But if they logged in one day to find a character wipe after being told there would be no more they would instantly uninstall the game. I know I would along with a chargeback on every single dollar I had spent even if they "refunded" it.

However all that said most of the exploiters had to have gotten a 3day ban which is pathetic. One of them is a popular streamer who exploited the **** out of the game and still has the balls to act as if he did nothing wrong. But of course if they perma ban him they would probably lose 1k or more players so you know that wont happen.

Ture man, I dind't know there are exploit(s) going on, only that there are, very greed ppl on ah who have enought rl money inested into the game to manipultae the 'market' with their buddys, same as rl. I usually get to know thing late, like the gf one hit exploit i just heard some hours before the new patch got applied, which is solved that problem. And also, I think that to play civilized, and comradely(sicne mmo i think should be about massive multiplayer, not massive multi-selfish-player)a game wort it waay much better than spending hours, and your and the games good reputation on that to find things to exploit, to cheat And then cartel and smuggle with it. This kind of pepole just the worst scum and rl rotting from their kind, like working in a government and stealing from inside, the money payd by the working, 'blue collar' ppl. This is why Blizzard had to create a whole department, an inside company to maintain it is security. Do you think they were happy to do it and spend enormous amount of work and money on it? No. It was because of that scum kind o ppl again. If everyone be able to play sophsiticated, normally then we wouldnt't need that kind of security Blizz and the battlenet hasn now. And for any company it is very aggravating to their good reputation, since everyone know that bad news travels faster than good ones.
    But sadly now tor profit from a game and to have a perfect security against cheaters and immatures (trolls) is somewhat impossibble.
    SInce an mmo need a massive amount of players to profit and evolve. Especially a f2p is a "hard wood" business model imho, have higher risk than the others. I think that the best will be to have a trial/starter so players can try the game (that why i never going to buy gw2, i do not pay for something i didnt tried, its like buying a shirt what you didnt tried up just saw on a mannequin) and the game itsef to be 'pay once' like sc2 or d3, and of cours there will be expansitions. In that system i dont feel that i "have to" play, to not fall back in the game. In subscribing system i always feel that "the clock is ticking".

About security in concrete? Im no it or tech expert but it think it is a good star to track ip-s and emails too, also to log everything, yes as much as possible, so you can later seracu on anything, and have a "proof".
  • Options
    clcmercyclcmercy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 308 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    xenogias1 wrote: »

First and foremost, Cryptic has no obligation to tell any of us about ANY disciplinary measures they take, and very likely never will. The post we got? That's all we'll ever hear about it, guaranteed.

Also consider, if we, the forumites know that the banned offenders are laughing about their punishments, is it not very likely that Cryptic does as well? Is it also very likely that they will indeed hand out heavier punishments and not tell us a darn thing?

It says in the ToS this:
    10. User Conduct

You must observe these Terms, all Rules of Conduct, all applicable laws and all basic rules of etiquette and common courtesy when using the Website and the Service. Any conduct that violates the law in an offline, real world community is also a violation of these terms. PWE will not tolerate any illegal or offensive conduct.

Without limiting the foregoing, in addition to the User Content rules set forth in Section 10 above, you agree not to take any of the following actions:

(a) Harm minors in any way;
    (b) Impersonate any person or entity, including any PWE officials, forum leaders, guides, hosts, employees or agents, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity;
    (c) Forge headers or otherwise manipulate identifiers in order to disguise the origin of any message transmitted through the Website;
    (d) Upload, post, e-mail, transmit or otherwise make available any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, "junk mail", "spam", "chain letters", "pyramid schemes", or any other form of solicitation;
    (e) Interfere with or disrupt the Service, the Website or servers or networks connected to the Website, or disobey any requirements, procedures, policies or regulations of networks connected to the Website;
    (f) "Stalk," threaten or otherwise harass or cause discomfort to another;
    (g) Collect, store, post or otherwise disseminate any personal data about other users;
    (h) Impede or disrupt the Service or the normal flow of game play or dialogue in the game or in Interactive Areas on the Site or use vulgar language, abusiveness, use of excessive shouting (ALL CAPS) "spamming" or any other disruptive or detrimental methods in an attempt to disturb other users or PWE employees;
    (i) Engage in, encourage, or promote any illegal activity, or any activity that violates these Terms or the Rules of Conduct;
    (j) Engage in any actions that defraud or attempt to defraud, scam or cheat others out of any items that have been earned through authorized game play;
    (k) Cheat or utilize unauthorized exploits in connection with the Games or the Service;
    (l) Using or exploiting any bugs, errors, or design flaws to obtain unauthorized access to the Service or to gain an unfair advantage over other players,
    (m) trade, sell, auction or otherwise transfer any virtual items or goods of any nature outside the game; and/or
    (n) Take any action that disrupts the Service or that negatively affects or may prohibit other users from enjoying the Website, the Games or any other aspect of the Service.

PWE may take any actions and impose any penalties we deem necessary to discourage and punish any violation of these terms or any other illegal or inappropriate conduct, all without prior notice or warning. The determination as to whether a violation has occurred and who is responsible for such act is solely within PWE's discretion, and is based on what we deem best for the community and the Website. By using the Website, you agree you will be bound by PWE's determination as to whether a violation has occurred and any penalty we choose to implement.

Highlighted pertinent parts. Just by being here or in the game you're agreeing to this. Personally, I think they're not done with these jackwads. I hope they aren't. But they certainly don't have to tell any of us if they are or are not. And we agree to it by being here.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
This discussion has been closed.