test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Do your duty!

Comments

• Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    I did my duty for the Queen and the Country.

I will always talk good of any product or subject I enjoy or look forward to. That just comes natural to me and many human beings.
  • Options
    devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    The word "duty" isn't specially reserved for anyone, and people need to get over being used whether military or not. So don't try to come off saying that this is a special word reserved for certain people, there are many connotations to the word. And it's not their duty either, it was their choice. I know because I did it and did it faithfully 8 1/2 yrs, I signed the contract of my own free will. And really why was this even being brought up? This is the internet, people will say things that offends other all the time. Being sensitive and the internet do not jive well.

What irks most people here with the word and why I was irked by the title was that duty means obligation, requirement, you HAVE to do this, not so much of it's connection with the military if at all. When someone tells others you MUST do X, especially when there is nothing to warrant X action, then people are gonna get peeved.
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    ryvvik wrote: »
    Ive promoted the game in Australia, without trying to sell it and remain unbiast, i can honestly say its met with alot of angst, 4thEd, cryptic, and not a continuation on NWN, as the toolset thats going to be available is skeptical towards the NWN community, based on the startrek foundry i can only assume. However ive personally left my mmo run dry for abit, tried rift last year few months, and GW2 a week but didnt last long, personal preference based on lore/theater just didn't grab me. I think when your bought up a D&d system its hard to get it out of your blood.

We have some guys and gals sitting around waiting for this though, as most love the system D&d brings to the table, so we are impatiently waiting to get our grubbly little mits on the game, when the game launches, so while im hyped to a degree, i have not tried to hype others and get them disappointed if it isnt up to scratch.

Yeah I completely understand. The bashing is quite set but often those are only based on heresay than actual arguments.

I usually start with facts and I find only valid reason is that they got some heartburns earlier with cryptic's CO or/and STO. I don't really have any sympathy for those two communities actually. But even they are more based on emotions than actual facts.

A very often repeated comment that I see is "I won't buy Neverwinter..." This tells you the level of misinformation about this title. A definite marketing failure - hence that is why I said - this game will probably need community to market it for them because they don't really have guts to come out with real facts.

The marketing guys are even afraid to admit when asked directly in interviews that it is not NWN3 but a different game. A marketing not based to clear facts is always a bad marketing.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Yeah I completely understand. The bashing is quite set but often those are only based on heresay than actual arguments.

I usually start with facts and I find only valid reason is that they got some heartburns earlier with cryptic's CO or/and STO. I don't really have any sympathy for those two communities actually. But even they are more based on emotions than actual facts.

A very often repeated comment that I see is "I won't buy Neverwinter..." This tells you the level of misinformation about this title. A definite marketing failure - hence that is why I said - this game will probably need community to market it for them because they don't really have guts to come out with real facts.

The marketing guys are even afraid to admit when asked directly in interviews that it is not NWN3 but a different game. A marketing not based to clear facts is always a bad marketing.

And when I see this from specifically the vitriolic players responding this way in STO forums, I keep thinking appropriately of this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mrbuttflakesmrbuttflakes Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I have a couple friends I told about Neverwinter, but they want to wait and see how it goes.
    I've liked it on my facebook, and once I have a taste I'll most likely write a nice "get over here and try this beast!!"
    So in time.
  • Options
    ariusdecimusariusdecimus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    What irks most people here with the word and why I was irked by the title was that duty means obligation, requirement, you HAVE to do this, not so much of it's connection with the military if at all. When someone tells others you MUST do X, especially when there is nothing to warrant X action, then people are gonna get peeved.

The OP wasn't offensive in any way, and if you looked at his post you should have realized he wasn't meaning to say you must do it. How could he possibly enforce that? It's clear that "duty" in this case was not meant to be literal, because it's quite literally impossible that we're obligated to promote the game. It should be obvious to everyone here with real life experience that he's just encouraging promotion of the game (NOT implying that you don't have real life experience). It's a way of speaking that is extremely common in the real world (as you no doubt know). The intention of his post was to say that Neverwinter needs people who are willing to get out there and make people aware of it. If you don't want to, fine, click the back button and visit another thread. There's no need for anyone here to be negative (or to get "peeved").

To me, it just seems incredibly silly that this thread (and its creator) are receiving flak for people's own hyper literal interpretations. If we took the time to actually sit back and think about what he meant, you wouldn't be "peeved".

I honestly just can't wrap my head around why people are even compelled to come in here and be negative. The internet... You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy (Star Wars reference, couldn't help myself, take no offense).

On the topic of word of mouth... Word of mouth separates the commoners from the kings. It is the single biggest influencer in gaming purchases. If those of us who like the game (or like how it looks) don't get out there and promote it, then in the end our community will suffer for it. So other people in this thread shouldn't act like word of mouth is unimportant.

And people talking about how you shouldn't promote a product before it's finished... This is not a product you must purchase, it's completely free. As such, it is not irresponsible for you to promote it (so long as you don't exaggerate the truth). It's like you saying there's free food right across the street being made that you think smells good. That doesn't mean it will be good, and sure it may turn out to be bad. That doesn't mean it's wrong for you to mention it (so long as you're responsible and only promote it truthfully).

Edit: Also, just wanted to tell the OP, you didn't make a mistake in creating this thread. For people who like promoting the game, this is a good reminder (as others have commented). The "cynics" (as you call them) simply didn't really think things through enough. Not like they're bad people or trying to be mean. I figure it's just a knee-jerk reaction to the word "duty".

For me, I've promoted it numerous times in Guild Wars 2 and The Secret World. Unfortunately, TSW players tend to not like you mentioning other MMOs (especially GW2) because they feel like you need to play TSW exclusively. I actually had one guy comment that I shouldn't play other games if I'm playing TSW, I asked him why and he told me to go ask my wife if it's okay that I cheat on her... XD

On GW2 though people can be pretty receptive, and they all like the idea of the foundry.
  • Options
    xearrikxearrik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Thank's man, I'm glad somebody gets it. "Do Your Duty" Is nothing more then an attention grabbing title. You can tell by how its in movie title format, with caps for the first letter of each word. I just didn't feel like explaining my self anymore. But you get it.
    Da kitties don't speak for me, deez kitties speak fur us all!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'll Keep this up till beta goes live. I'll improve it soon.
  • Options
    deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    xearrik wrote: »
    Thank's man, I'm glad somebody gets it. "Do Your Duty" Is nothing more then an attention grabbing title. You can tell by how its in movie title format, with caps for the first letter of each word. I just didn't feel like explaining my self anymore. But you get it.
    I understood it as soon as the thread opened.
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    xearrikxearrik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I understood it as soon as the thread opened.

Yea I think anybody who just replied normally got it. He just took the time to type a wall of text defending what I said, and he hit almost every point. I figured I should give him a ty nod.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Yea I think anybody who just replied normally got it. He just took the time to type a wall of text defending what I said, and he hit almost every point. I figured I should give him a ty nod.

I understand, it is a wall of text.. (maybe we can take some of these walls of texts and make a house of text)

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bubbabinskybubbabinsky Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 161 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    I convinced a random streamer that there was a DnD game coming out this year. That was nice.
  • Options
    bobcat1313bobcat1313 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'm sharing on Tera, My facebook, http://www.ign.com/wikis/neverwinter, Real Life friends oh an SWTOR. So far game looks solid to me. The foundry just... I can't explain how excited I am about this system... I just drool all over myself thinking about it.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Wall of text... You should see me when I'm responding to multiple paragraphs. :D
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Wall of text... You should see me when I'm responding to multiple paragraphs. :D

Amateurs. All amateurs ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    clcmercyclcmercy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 308 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    If you don't want to talk about the game then fine. This thread isn't for you. Stop standing in the candy shop telling everybody how much you hate candy.

Okay, using the analogy you did to hopefully impart understanding.

I like candy. There's some new stuff in the store, but I haven't tried it yet, therefore I do not know if it is good or not. I can't recommend something I do not know to my friends, because if it is horrible, then my friends will be angry with me for telling them to try junk. However, when I am able to buy and try some, THEN I can recommend it to, or tell to stay away from.

I can sit here and LOOK at the new candy and HOPE it is good, but until I can try it? I. Just. Don't. Know.

So it's not that I'm downing your opinion or hating on you personally....but I feel (rather strongly) that a game's developer team has the onus of advertising the game. Hyping it up and getting the word out there. Marketing can make or break ANY product, and when there -is- no marketing for a product by its creating company...what does that say about the creator's opinion of the product? Honestly, I've seen very little(and by that I mean NEXT TO NOTHING) out in the web or in magazines about this game. If Cryptic/PW aren't willing to push their product....why should I? Especially if I have no idea how good or bad it is? I can tell people "Hey, Neverwinter's coming out soon." and they ask, "When? Release date?" my reply has to be, "Hasn't been announced." They ask, "What's in it?", I have to answer with "Dunno much about it now. Five classes, two of which are fighter types. They've only shown three 'zones'."

Can you see the dilemma? I can see your points, and they are as legitimate as mine. Neither one of us is "wrong" or "right" in this.

So, I'm going to continue to do what I've been doing since day one of learning about the game and registering here on the forums. Hope that it turns out to be a good game.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • Options
    k44mosk44mos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    +1 clcmercy
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    clcmercy wrote: »

I like candy. There's some new stuff in the store, but I haven't tried it yet, therefore I do not know if it is good or not. I can't recommend something I do not know to my friends, because if it is horrible, then my friends will be angry with me for telling them to try junk. However, when I am able to buy and try some, THEN I can recommend it to, or tell to stay away from.

I can sit here and LOOK at the new candy and HOPE it is good, but until I can try it? I. Just. Don't. Know.

So it's not that I'm downing your opinion or hating on you personally....but I feel (rather strongly) that a game's developer team has the onus of advertising the game. Hyping it up and getting the word out there. Marketing can make or break ANY product, and when there -is- no marketing for a product by its creating company...what does that say about the creator's opinion of the product? Honestly, I've seen very little(and by that I mean NEXT TO NOTHING) out in the web or in magazines about this game. If Cryptic/PW aren't willing to push their product....why should I? Especially if I have no idea how good or bad it is? I can tell people "Hey, Neverwinter's coming out soon." and they ask, "When? Release date?" my reply has to be, "Hasn't been announced." They ask, "What's in it?", I have to answer with "Dunno much about it now. Five classes, two of which are fighter types. They've only shown three 'zones'."

Can you see the dilemma? I can see your points, and they are as legitimate as mine. Neither one of us is "wrong" or "right" in this.

So, I'm going to continue to do what I've been doing since day one of learning about the game and registering here on the forums. Hope that it turns out to be a good game.

It is fine argument and all - however you fail to see he is not forcing you. If this thread is not for you - don't read it.

For those this thread was made will read it. Pretty simple logic. Nobody is tying your hands and bending you dow on screen while taping your eyes to look at it - just look away.
  • Options
    bubbabinskybubbabinsky Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 161 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    Well the candy store analogy, I would tend to tell my friends about this new candy. Discuss it with them, ask them if they think it looks good. I'm not making them like it or try it. They can if they want, I will if I want. End of story.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Told two friends at church about Neverwinter, they seem interested

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    You are all FORBIDDEN to speak more about candy!

...unless you give me some ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    You are all FORBIDDEN to speak more about candy!
    ...unless you give me some ;)

*Hands Truthseeker candy, cupcakes, cookies, pie and Mountain Dew*

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013

Ok I am switching this from candy to cupcakes so stay with me, say a bakery is going to release a new Cupcake, the will give out free samples. After a few samples you have to give feedback on how to improve the cupcake. They also tell you after the cupcake is released it will be free, you can walk in and get one whenever you want. Now they have said if you want say plastic rings on the cupcake or want a lot of them for a party and they need to look a specific way you will have to pay a little money, or certain other things that do not change the cupcake itself but may enhance your personal experience of eating this cupcake. You also know that none of the things you have to pay for make it "better" than someone else's cupcake that is of the same type.

Would you promote them, even if you havent got a free sample yet and the cupcakes havent been released yet? They are free so it is not like you are wasting money on them, and if you dont like them you dont have to get any. But someone else you know may would like them but no one told them about free cupcakes and the marketing was poor. What if they would love the cupcake more than anything else they had ever tasted? but you didnt tell them about the cupcake because you didnt taste it yet or didnt personally like it, so they never got to taste the cupcake.

How would you feel if you knew they would love it, but because you werent sure about it or didint like it or didnt like the Bakery's marketing you did not tell your friend about the cupcake denying them of what would be their favorite thing to eat?

I dont know about you but I would be disappointed in myself.

If you had told them before you knew anything about the cupcake beyond the fact that it will be free, they would have tried it and thanked you for telling them.

So do you risk someone who might love it never know of the cupcake to prevent disappointment or do you pretend it doesnt exist until you are sure that you love the cupcake?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I'd like them to offer more than one or two cupcake carrying slots being offered like those Star Trek cupcakes only offer two free slots for example. If I keep having to just picking up and picking at one cupcake JUST to pick up another, I dunno...

But yes, I'd expect to try a free sample for food, so understand the hesitancy of others who haven't even tried a game demo for example....

And I think Moderators should keep getting free cupcakes until we die of natural causes many many many years down the line, just sayin' :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    uglybuggeruglybugger Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Playing the cupcake devil advocate... Because cupcake devils are terrifying.

I think I could just tell my friend about the cupcake when it's finally available to eat and then they could try it for themselves and see if they like it or not. Telling them ahead of time doesn't really benefit them at all. They'll just get a huge cupcake craving and start to feel bitter for not having a cupcake to eat, and I end up feeling bad about myself because I made them want a cupcake really badly.

Besides, if I told them all now, they would ask when the cupcake was going to be available. I'd have to tell them "well, it was supposed to be sometime early this year, but we're not REALLY sure because the cupcake company doesn't really know when the recipe will be perfected." Then my friends would say "Well, why'd you even tell me about the cupcake then? Now I want a cupcake and I can't even have one until some unknown date that may or may not happen early this year!" Doesn't that make you feel bad? Thinking of how your friends can't have cupcakes? It makes me sad just thinking about it. And hungry.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    uglybugger wrote: »

I think I could just tell my friend about the cupcake when it's finally available to eat and then they could try it for themselves and see if they like it or not. Telling them ahead of time doesn't really benefit them at all. They'll just get a huge cupcake craving and start to feel bitter for not having a cupcake to eat, and I end up feeling bad about myself because I made them want a cupcake really badly.

Besides, if I told them all now, they would ask when the cupcake was going to be available. I'd have to tell them "well, it was supposed to be sometime early this year, but we're not REALLY sure because the cupcake company doesn't really know when the recipe will be perfected." Then my friends would say "Well, why'd you even tell me about the cupcake then? Now I want a cupcake and I can't even have one until some unknown date that may or may not happen early this year!" Doesn't that make you feel bad? Thinking of how your friends can't have cupcakes? It makes me sad just thinking about it. And hungry.
    Touche....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013

Fair point, but you're acting as if we have no solid information about Neverwinter. We've all seen gameplay vids, read loads of information about it... We may not have actually tried it, but we have a good idea as to what it will be like. Sure, it could be bad, but most indicators (for those of us interested in the game) point to it being good. Thus, I don't think your analogy actually works.

You're not in the wrong at all for saying the candy looks good to you, based on what you've seen, smelled, and read about it. That's a perfectly normal reaction that virtually every human being on the planet would have. Haven't you ever drove by a restaurant/fast food place that you wanted to try? When I do, I strike up a discussion about how good it sounds like it would be (even though I've never tried it). Some day, I do intend to go there and try it. It's not wrong of me to say I think it'll be good, is it? In fact, my friend may very well miss out on what could be delicious if we don't go some day and try it. And my friend doesn't have to worry about losing money, it'll be my treat (since Neverwinter is free that's most analogous).

Something that a lot of people don't consider, is that you may not have another chance to spread the word about Neverwinter with particular people. How do I know if I'm going to see a guildy in GW2 again? Telling him now at least ensures that he'll know. Whereas if I simply waited he may never know, and he may have missed out on one of the best gaming experiences of his life. I could even forget to tell him altogether, it may never enter my mind after that point. In the end, there's nothing wrong or irresponsible about telling people the truth in this case. At the very least, the positives outweigh the negatives.

Of course the responsibility is on them. But, getting other people interested in the game is hugely helpful to the game, and it's not like it somehow negatively effects other people (if you're honest). And just for the record, not every company has loads of cash for marketing. Remember Cryptic's situation, and take that into consideration when you're thinking about how they're marketing the game.

Fair point, no one is trying to force you to overhype the game.
    uglybugger wrote: »

As long as you give the factual information about the cupcake, you're not in the wrong. In the end, it's your friends own fault for making it seem better than it is in his own mind. Besides, MMO's make or break based on their population. Getting more people to try the game at the start makes more players, and it also helps with player retention because lots of players just quit if they're having a hard time making friends. In the analogy, the more people who try this free cupcake the better the cupcake people will be able to... make and improve upon their cupcakes in the future (keeping it analogous with the F2O MMO).

Besides, I think a counter-point to this is that you can't always tell people whenever you want to. Sometimes you won't see a guild-mate from another game again, and you may have missed the chance to tell him about Neverwinter entirely.

Lol, not me personally. We need as many people as we can get at launch, it just helps in so many ways IMO. The launch is the most important time for any MMO.

To sum up pretty much my entire response:

I'm the kind of guy who has always felt it's best to bring up information to people that they may find useful. It may not always turn out right, but there's no accounting for those sorts of things in life, everything has a potential consequence. If you don't seize the opportunity, you may never get another shot. I'm also perfectly fine with people not wanting to tell others, that's perfectly normal. But I don't think that there's a valid reason as to why those of us who do want to tell others shouldn't.
  • Options
    bluesteel8bluesteel8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Wut? I just said I respected his decision, who roped me into this damn it, grrr pass the cupcakes!

mario+bros+3.jpg
    [SIGPIC]

[/SIGPIC]
    The Older Gamers (25+) - Never too old to play games
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    bluesteel8 wrote: »

Star Power is mine!
  • Options
    edited January 2013

And you miss by a mile again. The candy store is this thread.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]