test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Do your duty!

xearrikxearrik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 323 Arc User
edited January 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
So do you tell every single gamer friend of yours about D&DN? Personally I even randomly mention it in other MMORPG's I play. I actually have most of my guild from another game planning on playing day one.

The main place I speak and recruit for the game is DDO. I want to steal as many of their good members as possible! I also occasionally randomly bring it up in general chat :p.

So are you making sure that Neverwinters launch will be as strong as possible? If so list some games and venues in which you shamelessly plug Neverwinter.

Edit: Some of the more cynical members seem to think I am saying go out and hype up the game over selling it. I'm not sure how you get that, but let me clarify what I mean for all the new readers of the thread.

Your here, your on this forum. Your basically in line waiting to play a game that could be as much as a year away from launch. There is something inside you that says this game is worth that. What I'm saying is get out there and try to share that feeling. Don't falsely promote the game, just share what you already feel, talk about what you've seen and read from the videos and forum. I don't see how that's a bad thing.
Da kitties don't speak for me, deez kitties speak fur us all!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I'll Keep this up till beta goes live. I'll improve it soon.
Post edited by xearrik on

Comments

• Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Duty?

Hardly, if the game launches with polish playability, quality and content then I will sing it's praises to the heavens...the days of me carrying water for a unproven MMO is over.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Im trying to, but Im currently not playing anything, and so Im mostly telling people I know.
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    xearrikxearrik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Duty?

Hardly, if the game launches with polish playability, quality and content then I will sing it's praises to the heavens...the days of me carrying water for a unproven MMO is over.

Sacrilege!!! Stone him!

No seriously man. Plugging a game that sucks and is already out is one thing. But this game isn't out, and your presence on this forum is a testament to your belief its worth your time. Share that with people man. Let them know it may be worth their time as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited January 2013
    I'm not really playing a lot of games right now, just POE on and off. I left DDO a long time ago. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people come here to Neverwinter from that game tho. That's how niche titles work. The people that play the game for the name will investigate any game with that name.

There were a lot of people who left DDO after their "expansion" in June. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a lot of them here. Heck, there's an ex-DDO players thread here.
  • Options
    clcmercyclcmercy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 308 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    Umm...duty? Doesn't PW and Cryptic have an...oh..I dunno....ADVERTISING DEPARTMENT that does that sort of thing? And the onus of "getting the word out" is on the game developers, not it's soon to be customers.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    xearrik wrote: »
    Sacrilege!!! Stone him!

No seriously man. Plugging a game that sucks and is already out is one thing. But this game isn't out, and your presence on this forum is a testament to your belief its worth your time. Share that with people man. Let them know it may be worth their time as well.

I know the game is going to be fun and most likely be one of the most popular MMO to come down the pike in a long time, but..I know that from unofficial sources that is doing the job that Cryptic's marketing dept should have done a year or more ago, whats more if I share any of the plethora of unofficial information my beta/mount keys would be taken and I would get banned from these forums.

So count me out until the game launches and folks can try it for themselves.
  • Options
    muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Duty?

I'm right there with you man. Rift was a hard, bitter pill to swallow. I was a devoted follower, tested from CB1 all the way through; the game could have been so much more than the easiest themepark ever made. So pretty to look at, and soul less at birth. I'll keep a positive attitude for this game, hopeful that it will be a winner, but my MMO buddies won't let me sway them anymore, so no shouting the praises of an un-released game for me.

edit; whoa a wild quote has appeared.
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Although I have talked to many people and ended up making them excited for this game, with my PnP group I face a very peculiar problem - they don't want to play video games at all. I think one of them tried the old AD&D on console sometime back and that is his level of "video game literacy". For now I have kind of given u on them, but I am planning to make a foundry mission, record its gameplay and try to show it to them once game releases.

But I seriously doubt I can get them. I actually found it was much more easier to convince one of my friends who plays LoL and has not D&D experience at all (though he has just started playing some non-D&D tabletops).

*sigh*
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    clcmercy wrote: »
    Umm...duty? Doesn't PW and Cryptic have an...oh..I dunno....ADVERTISING DEPARTMENT that does that sort of thing? And the onus of "getting the word out" is on the game developers, not it's soon to be customers.

That's completely wrong. Word to mouth is a huuuge part of the popularity of a lot of things. One of the goals of marketing is to make you go out and tell your friends. So get to talking!
    I know the game is going to be fun and most likely be one of the most popular MMO to come down the pike in a long time, but..I know that from unofficial sources that is doing the job that Cryptic's marketing dept should have done a year or more ago, whats more if I share any of the plethora of unofficial information my beta/mount keys would be taken and I would get banned from these forums.

So count me out until the game launches and folks can try it for themselves.

Hey your aloud to speak about anything that is already in the open forum.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited January 2013
    Really? I liked Rift. I didn't play it during any of the Beta phases. I joined a couple months into release and left shortly after I maxed out my character and PvP gear set. Since then it's had tons of content added tho - flying mounts, capes, player housing, a third faction, PvP dungeons. I'm strongly considering re-subbing.

I guess that's the difference between following a game, and its dev's promises, and getting hyped about it, and just joining it not knowing what to expect. Because I hadn't heard anything about Rift when I got into it.

I told my brother about the Alpha key giveaway and he said "No way! I'll wait for release. I don't want to join a test and get myself worked up about what it COULD be. I'd rather wait to enjoy it for what it is."
  • Options
    muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    ranncore wrote: »
    Really? I liked Rift. I didn't play it during any of the Beta phases. I joined a couple months into release and left shortly after I maxed out my character and PvP gear set. Since then it's had tons of content added tho - flying mounts, capes, player housing, a third faction, PvP dungeons. I'm strongly considering re-subbing.

I guess that's the difference between following a game, and its dev's promises, and getting hyped about it, and just joining it not knowing what to expect. Because I hadn't heard anything about Rift when I got into it.

Yeah following, being a very active forum poster, having devs feed us what ever they thought we wanted to hear, and none of it being in game. They tried to initially bill it as the new EQ. For old school players who wanted alot of depth, lore, hard crafting ect. /facepalm

I will say this, Rift is VERY good at what it ended up being, and really caters to the type of MMO player that plays it. Heck it's a great game, but I hate it. LOL. NWO will be my goto casual game for an hour or two after work, and that is what I am looking for until maybe EQ next, or Archeage. Then I will retire to my private island, and enjoy the pure bliss of an epic grind.
  • Options
    ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    Ive promoted the game in Australia, without trying to sell it and remain unbiast, i can honestly say its met with alot of angst, 4thEd, cryptic, and not a continuation on NWN, as the toolset thats going to be available is skeptical towards the NWN community, based on the startrek foundry i can only assume. However ive personally left my mmo run dry for abit, tried rift last year few months, and GW2 a week but didnt last long, personal preference based on lore/theater just didn't grab me. I think when your bought up a D&d system its hard to get it out of your blood.

We have some guys and gals sitting around waiting for this though, as most love the system D&d brings to the table, so we are impatiently waiting to get our grubbly little mits on the game, when the game launches, so while im hyped to a degree, i have not tried to hype others and get them disappointed if it isnt up to scratch.
  • Options
    devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    Yeah...duty... just like it's the duty of the GW2 fans, SWTOR fans, Rift fans, TSW fans ect ect ect to hype their game up as much as possible only to have many leave the game within a month after launch? The game needs to stand on it's own and not rely on hype train wrecks. I'll give people the facts, what I'm not is going to embellish the game to make it seem like the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Personally I still have many doubts about the game, until Cryptic starts addressing these doubts then they no way deserve any hyping of the game on my part which even then I'll just let the game stand on it's own. If the game is good then people will come around and try it out, and really there is no point to really have a massive starting pop since this game is F2P and no retail sales are conducted.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I've edited my first post. There are more cynical people then I thought here, and they are missing the meaning of the thread.

But then again maybe its just me, and I failed to express my self eloquently. I hope this brings us back to the road I was looking for with this thread. ^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I've edited my first post. There are more cynical people then I thought here, and they are missing meaning of the thread.

But then again maybe its just me, and I failed to express my self eloquently. I hope this brings us back to the road I was looking for with this thread. ^^

Not cynics, realist....there is a difference.

Cryptic gets slack when they proved themselves, and right now their marketing dept is their own worst enemy.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Not cynics, realist....there is a difference.

Cryptic gets slack when they proved themselves, and right now their marketing dept is their own worst enemy.

So what your saying is that you refuse to promote this game in any manner because they aren't promoting it right?

You can do something about that man. You can go out and promote the game yourself with the knowledge you've gained here and from other sources. I'm not telling you to bear false witness man. I'm saying speak about it. Give people the good, bad, and ugly. Make sure the people around you who may be interested in this type of game know about it. Because your presence here tells me you think its worth playing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    So what your saying is that you refuse to promote this game in any manner because they aren't promoting it right?

You can do something about that man. You can go out and promote the game yourself with the knowledge you've gained here and from other sources. I'm telling you to bear false witness man. I'm saying speak about it. Give people the good, bad, and ugly.

No I'm saying is when Cryptic actually starts marketing their game instead of pushing the cone of silence and then shows me that they can produce a polished fun experience that I don't have to wait an entire year of patches to enjoy then I will gladly hype their game.

Until then I'm from Missouri.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    No I'm saying is when Cryptic actually starts marketing their game instead of pushing the cone of silence and then shows me that they can produce a polished fun experience that I don't have to wait an entire year of patches to enjoy then I will gladly hype their game.

Until then I'm from Missouri.

Alright this is my last comment on this because I don't want this to seem like an argument. That's not what I want this thread to be about.

You are aware you said "No" to it not being because they aren't marketing correctly. Then said its because they arn't marketing it correctly. ^^

As I said though I'd like not to talk about this anymore in this thread. Because its feeling pretty negative to me now. But if you wish you can PM me and I'll talk with you about it there. Key word, talk. I don't want to fight :p
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    heretic789heretic789 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    you know until you said we should spread the word I had forgotten to tell other people that I like gaming with. I have told them now, thx for the reminder.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    heretic789 wrote: »
    you know until you said we should spread the word I had forgotten to tell other people that I like gaming with. I have told them now, thx for the reminder.

Nice! This is what this thread was about. I was starting to feel like I did a bad thing for minute. Thanks for that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    crashodditycrashoddity Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The game actually does stand on its own as a way of exciting people. I've shown the various videos and articles floating around to friends and family, who were all blown away by it. I haven't found a trace of the negativity some on this forum seem to shovel in abundance... but that's why forums are such a low percentage of the overall community I guess :/

Anyway, I agree with you xearrik. Having conversations about the game outside of these forums is fun and rewarding when you see someone discover NW.
  • Options
    clcmercyclcmercy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 308 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    That's completely wrong. Word to mouth is a huuuge part of the popularity of a lot of things. One of the goals of marketing is to make you go out and tell your friends. So get to talking!

Nope.
    Sorry. Game's not released and I've not been able to play it to form an accurate opinion on it.

Also, Cryptic and Perfect World have all but abandoned another game of thiers. Champions Online. There has been absolutely NO developer communication in pretty close to a year now. No new content. No new costumes, no nothing. Everything gets funneled here, to this game's development. That's rather crappy, if you ask me.

Again, no. I'm not promoting this game until Cryptic and Perfect World prove to me it's WORTH doing their job for them.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • Options
    bluesteel8bluesteel8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I gotta say, as much as I love Neverwinter, Clcmercy has a good point and I respect that.
    [SIGPIC]

[/SIGPIC]
    The Older Gamers (25+) - Never too old to play games
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    clcmercy wrote: »
    Nope.
    Sorry. Game's not released and I've not been able to play it to form an accurate opinion on it.

Also, Cryptic and Perfect World have all but abandoned another game of thiers. Champions Online. There has been absolutely NO developer communication in pretty close to a year now. No new content. No new costumes, no nothing. Everything gets funneled here, to this game's development. That's rather crappy, if you ask me.

Again, no. I'm not promoting this game until Cryptic and Perfect World prove to me it's WORTH doing their job for them.

bluesteel8 wrote: »
    I gotta say, as much as I love Neverwinter, Clcmercy has a good point and I respect that.

What you people say makes no since... Why do you refuse to speak with friends about something you like? The ENTIRE point in marketing is to make people buy your stuff and to get them to convince others to do the same. So what your saying to me by not speaking of it to others is you don't like the game. So why are you here?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    k44mosk44mos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    So what your saying to me by not speaking of it to others is you don't like the game. So why are you here?

You do not understand what others try to tell you or you do not want to.

My take on this is:

- I've been burnt a lot in the past by supporting games that were not out, getting the word out and creating hype; almost all of them failed me and thus my friends and the ones that actually listen when I recommend something

- until I can't give it my "SEAL OF APPROVAL", I won't recommend it - nor any product; a game is a product. I've only been able to see pictures of the product. Have I used it so far? No. Then how can you tell me to do my part and recommend a product that I haven't actually used?

- what happens if I give it my "SOA" before its time and the product fails like the vast majority of products out there? what happens to my credibility if I promote a product that will fail its consumers?

Sorry, but until now, I am not convinced this will pull through. Sure, it looks pretty ok so far (from vids and pics) but I do not know a lot about it. I haven't experienced it in all its glory.

Does it look like it could be huge? Yes. Is there a giant chance it will fail like most? Hell yeah.

We've taken too much frack from developers these last years. Enough is enough.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    k44mos wrote: »

You do not understand what others try to tell you or you do not want to.

My take on this is:

- I've been burnt a lot in the past by supporting games that were not out, getting the word out and creating hype; almost all of them failed me and thus my friends and the ones that actually listen when I recommend something

- until I can't give it my "SEAL OF APPROVAL", I won't recommend it - nor any product; a game is a product. I've only been able to see pictures of the product. Have I used it so far? No. Then how can you tell me to do my part and recommend a product that I haven't actually used?

- what happens if I give it my "SOA" before its time and the product fails like the vast majority of products out there? what happens to my credibility if I promote a product that will fail its consumers?

Sorry, but until now, I am not convinced this will pull through. Sure, it looks pretty ok so far (from vids and pics) but I do not know a lot about it. I haven't experienced it in all its glory.

Does it look like it could be huge? Yes. Is there a giant chance it will fail like most? Hell yeah.

We've taken too much frack from developers these last years. Enough is enough.

What I'm having a problem with is your motivation. What you all keep saying is illogical. You wont talk about something because of some random reason or another you all give. Then why are you here talking about it? How can you speak about the game with me but not a friend? What motivates you to confide your feeling about this game with me but not a friends? You all baffle me.

That is all, I will no longer respond to anybody who says they refuse to talk about the game. I don't think I'll ever be able to understand such logic. This doesn't mean I'm mad at anybody or wont read their posts anymore or anything. Just that I'm starting to feel as if I'm chasing my own tail and going no where.

If you don't want to talk about the game then fine. This thread isn't for you. Stop standing in the candy shop telling everybody how much you hate candy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    k44mosk44mos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'm not payed by PWE or by Cryptic to be their PR/Marketing agent. I will not spit out BS on forums about a product that I hardly know just because of some vids and random images. And do that for free.

If the product delivers and I am a happy consumer, I will gladly promote it in my small corner of the world. Until then, I'm just a consumer somewhat remotely interested in a product. It somewhat appeals to my tastes and that's why I take my time browsing the forums for any news on it.

I'm sharing my thoughts with you because you are another interested consumer that found out about the product from various specialized or not sources.

I'm not their marketing agent. They have done absolutely nothing to make me want to promote their product before I actually got to use it.
  • Options
    uglybuggeruglybugger Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I've spoken with my DnD friends about the game. We're all pretty excited. All of the waiting is killing the excitement though. We thought we'd be hearing more about beta and maybe even the announcement of a release date this month.

Sorry Xearrik, I'd really like to be positive and gush about the cool things I've seen, but everyone else here has already seen those things. All that's left is to theorize about what kind of cool things we might see, and that just seems to cause a lot of fighting here on the forum. DnD players are very opinionated, it seems.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    Two of my friends are looking forward to Neverwinter, they also are part of our PnP group. Another would love to play, I am sure, but he doesn't have internet. I've raved about my, "thank Mystra, it's darn well time the Realms came to an MMO." They're not all MMO enthusiasts like me however. I know two of them enjoyed the NWN series and we all tore up Baldur's Gate and and Icewind Dales, among even older titles. So yeah, I spread awareness of Neverwinter whenever I can, without coming off as a loon. Hmm, well... uhm, nevermind.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'm holding out the caution flag here.

First off, please keep it civil. I don't want to escalate anything.

Secondly, nobody should feel forced to do anything. Even what I do is considered voluntary and I can leave at-will.

Yet, I feel a duty to keep this place running and as "polite" as we can moderate.

And even that word brings a lot of meaning to many.

"Duty" means to many in the US that it is a commitment that it is not for everybody. Ask those who have chosen to serve their country. It's a calling not everybody can qualify for and even if you can, (compared to the total population) few can do. For those, we honor those who support this mantle, and even sometimes their sacrifice.

*stops a moment and salutes all those who have done this. Continues*

Ask Aandre when he here and on DDO forums honors the troops with their duty, never forgotten for their service.

So I, AAndre and a few others may be a tad...sensitive when it comes to the modern connotation of it. Of course there is the civil side of the word. Those who run their local community and civil duty or even those temporarily called into civic service like Jury duty.

Those obligations are to that community.

But here, for the non employed and not "selected volunteers," it's a choice. Nobody can "force" anybody to do word of mouth. It's something that you WANT to do. Nor do we have to go to the level of fanatical, and we MUST tell others about the D&D gospel (and try the pancakes.)

If it's something interesting you think a certain type of player will like and only that type (even if just one player total,) then tell just them.

If you don't like the game, then don't feel forced to tell others.
    You want to have the game earn your respect? Noted.

But that means you can't tell people they HAVE to tell others how bad it is and MUST warn "the real D&D players" either.

It goes both ways.

It's personal choice and we all have it here.

Now, in no way does it detract from enthusiasm (good or bad.) If you want to say in your opinion why you think we should tell others, that's fine.

But if you start coming across with "Why are you not telling others" in a way that others see as questioning their view as "wrong" even if not your intent, this is where friction can happen.

Short of harm to others, everybody has a right to an opinion, (and while I can detail the whole sentence here...) everybody has one.

Good or bad, everybody has one.

If you don't want to do so, then don't.
    And if you want to do so, then do.

So for now, I'm going to move the topic slightly to what makes or would make you "Do your Duty" to tell others about this game? Good or Bad?

And considering the seriousness of the reply...just once...

He said Duties!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]