test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Damage number art

cosmictimbercosmictimber Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited January 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Ok, so this is random, but I just wanted to say that I REALLY love the art/text style of the damage numbers that I have seen in videos. I hope they run with it.

they are crisp, clean and very appealing to my eyes.

Its minor, but I have played games where the numbers weren't as "exciting". Makes a production value difference. Also, it helps create that addictive factor when you get a sexy looking big crit on the screen.

It's the little things that are going to make this game great just as much as the big.
Post edited by cosmictimber on

Comments

• Options
    deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    yah but seriously 20000 DPS that is just stupid. This is DnD I mean 30 should be a high number not 200000000.
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    yah but seriously 20000 DPS that is just stupid. This is DnD I mean 30 should be a high number not 200000000.

I absolutely agree with you on that. I really don't need huge numbers... and prefer not having them... but as they used to say on espn "chicks dig the long ball". I guess the mentality is that you have to have the big numbers to show your game is awesome? no idea.

I always thought a game like wow in which i played from vanilla-pandas got WAY out of hand with their numbers. It also stunk too when they made the +1 to agility or whatever you got for rolling specific races a complete non-factor.
  • Options
    muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013

It is a little jarring at first, but the small numbers won't work in an MMO. The big numbers allow some real fine tuning.

As far as the OP, I have to admit, while I generally hate overhead damage/healing spam, they do look better than what I'm used to. Pretty sure we'll be able to turn them off, (pretty standard in MMO UI controls), but if not it's not a game killer.
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I absolutely agree with you on that. I really don't need huge numbers... and prefer not having them... but as they used to say on espn "chicks dig the long ball". I guess the mentality is that you have to have the big numbers to show your game is awesome? no idea.....

I don't think its just that. Think how much turns a standard pnp fights last, and how many "turns" would a computer game take to make it interesting. 20 hits just won't do for a decent or tough encounter.

Also there is no d100 dice which can be rolled in PnP. Because of this, having big numbers actually scales up pnp more properly and lets you have a "true-er" implementation of PnP imo.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Also there is no d100 dice which can be rolled in PnP.
    LIES! they sell D100s at the local hobby/card/roleplaying/comicbook shop. It can be used as percentile

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    I don't think its just that. Think how much turns a standard pnp fights last, and how many "turns" would a computer game take to make it interesting. 20 hits just won't do for a decent or tough encounter.

Also there is no d100 dice which can be rolled in PnP. Because of this, having big numbers actually scales up pnp more properly and lets you have a "true-er" implementation of PnP imo.

right, i see your point, as well as the point of bigger numbers giving more room for fine tuning. That all makes sense. But there has to be a middle ground somewhere. As I mentioned I have seen this with WOW (the easiest example for me) --- in the beginning you are getting +5 stat to gear (hypothetically...) and by your latest xpac you have gear with absolutely silly numbers. the damage gets silly, the numbers are absurd imo.

I would rather have had all that done in the background and then have it masked by dividing all numbers by 1000 (or whatever necessary). But that's just me of course. I thought GW1 always had fairly reasonable numbers, but then again their gear was capped... so progress wasn't really measured in terms of gear.

When it comes down to it though, I have a preference, but i don't really care that much. I was more in love with how the numbers looked as opposed to their value.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    LIES! they sell D100s at the local hobby/card/roleplaying/comicbook shop. It can be used as percentile

or two 10 sided... representing ones and tens place.

i had a buddy with a 100-sided die... the damn thing nearly rolled away.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    or two 10 sided... representing ones and tens place.

i had a buddy with a 100-sided die... the damn thing nearly rolled away.

They break if the fall from too high. I know from experience. At $8 a pop you gotta be careful with those suckers.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    gaymer87gaymer87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 291 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    High damage versus lower damage shouldn't even matter. Who cares if you see 10 damage versus 1000 damage or 10000000 damage. I think in terms of an action game people tend to want to see larger numbers when they are in combat. The crowd they are going to have to appeal to is going to change. Picky picky picky. You'll only be let down.
    *~Ezenkrul Kor'hedron -Drow Sorcerer~* **on hold**
    *~Serixil Kor'hedron- Drow Trickster~*
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    I would rather have had all that done in the background and then have it masked by dividing all numbers by 1000 (or whatever necessary). But that's just me of course. I thought GW1 always had fairly reasonable numbers, but then again their gear was capped... so progress wasn't really measured in terms of gear.

Spam em your opinion in the CBT. Maybe they'll listen. ;)
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    gaymer87 wrote: »
    High damage versus lower damage shouldn't even matter. Who cares if you see 10 damage versus 1000 damage or 10000000 damage. I think in terms of an action game people tend to want to see larger numbers when they are in combat. The crowd they are going to have to appeal to is going to change. Picky picky picky. You'll only be let down.
    Id like at least to have the option of having it show lower numbers.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Spam em your opinion in the CBT. Maybe they'll listen. ;)

nah, no one listens to me :) ...and I don't blame em.
  • Options
    tinyishtinyish Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The art style of the numbers is very nice. I like the way they pop around the screen, and that they are good colors to make them stand out just enough.

As cosmictimber mentioned the point of larger numbers is to enable fine tuning. In Pen-n-paper you'd be hitting for 1-8 damage +3 for your strength (4-11 total) at first level. Then at higher level you might be hitting for 3d8 + 8 (11-32), for example. In leveling up you'd get a +1 sword which would add one to your damage. A couple of play sessions later you may get a different weapon which was +2. That's like 8 hours of gameplay between weapon upgrades.

Let's think of that in terms of a video game: If you had to go EIGHT HOURS between each weapon upgrade, that means that you were probably going a full hour between each piece of other gear that you upgraded. And that's at first or second level when the gear upgrades are fast and easy. At that rate, all but the most die hard players would quit the game.

In a video game, everything goes faster. The combats are over much quicker and there are more of them. And you'll probably expect to level up at low level a couple of times in an hour, and you'll expect that you may be presented with several upgrades in that much time.

So now how do you balance the game if you're throwing out upgrades left and right in order to keep the player interested? One way is to increase the damage scale. For example, if we increased the scale by ten, then our low level character will be hitting for 40-110 instead of 4-11 damage. On this new scale a +10 weapon is now the equivalent of a lower-scaled +1 weapon. So then the designers can give you say six upgrades (+3, +5, +9, +12, +15, +20) in the first couple levels which would work thier way up to a total bonus of +20, or the same as the lower scaled +2 weapon that took you 8 hours to get in pen-n-paper. The fact that you're getting upgrades more often will keep you interested at low level so that you may actually keep playing to a higher level.

The fact that the damage numbers are bigger doesn't affect the pacing of gameplay because everything has more hit points and should take roughly the same number of hits to take down. Of course they may have tweaked those numbers a bit to make the game more of a challenge or more fun to play.

D&D on paper was not defined by the numbers that it used. Instead, is LIMITED by them. Pen-n-paper used the smaller numbers because of the dice and the limitations of average people in quickly adding and subtracting 2 or 3 digit numbers or counting larger pools of dice. It would just bog down the game if every hit you'd have to count the numbers on a big handful of dice and then decide if the sum of all of those dice plus the giant bonus you have to hit was equal to or greater than the monster's armor class of 2784. So they limited it to using mostly 1 or 2 dice at a time and the biggest to-hit bonuses are still likely just 2 digits. (Granted, it was good mental exercize, but everyone knows geeks hate exercize.)

In a video game these limitations on bogging down gameplay are removed because the computer can do those calculations in a millionth of a second to figure out if you hit or not. It isn't that your brain can't comprehend the larger numbers involved. Its just that you can't add and subtract them fast enough. With any scale of damage in a video game it will take 5 minutes or less to come to grips with what a good hit looks like, how much a normal damage number takes off of the enemy's health bar, etc. By the time you reach level 10 you'll be bragging about how your character can hit for 456 damage with one swing.

There does come a limitation on the human brain to comprehend much larger numbers. When you are displayed a number for only one second and can't figure out if it was a six digit normal hit or a seven digit crit then you've got a problem.

Another limitation with a hundred-sided die is that after it stops rolling then you've got to stare at it for a moment to figure out exactly which side is up.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    tinyish wrote: »
    There does come a limitation on the human brain to comprehend much larger numbers. When you are displayed a number for only one second and can't figure out if it was a six digit normal hit or a seven digit crit then you've got a problem.

Another limitation with a hundred-sided die is that after it stops rolling then you've got to stare at it for a moment to figure out exactly which side is up.

yes and yes! hilarious, i have gone through that with the 100-sided.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    nah, no one listens to me :) ...and I don't blame em.

maybe if both of us spam them

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    maybe if both of us spam them

While I really don't care too much about the big vs little numbers... i do think the little numbers are more in the DnD spirit of things. I think it would be cool to have a cosmetic "Divide by 1000-ish" option aka "Old School Damage"--- worth suggesting, but I wouldn't want to see them waste dev time on it or anything as a big issue.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    While I really don't care too much about the big vs little numbers... i do think the little numbers are more in the DnD spirit of things. I think it would be cool to have a cosmetic "Divide by 1000-ish" option aka "Old School Damage"--- worth suggesting, but I wouldn't want to see them waste dev time on it or anything as a big issue.

I really like this idea. I think a slider would be a good idea so you could set it to divide by 10 or 100 or 1000.

The problem with this is that when you're chatting with a guildie who says: "I just hit that sucker for 100 damage!" and you're thinking "Man, I hit for TEN TIMES what he does. What a loser." ... because you're using different scales.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I really like this idea. I think a slider would be a good idea so you could set it to divide by 10 or 100 or 1000.

The problem with this is that when you're chatting with a guildie who says: "I just hit that sucker for 100 damage!" and you're thinking "Man, I hit for TEN TIMES what he does. What a loser." ... because you're using different scales.

Not really a problem though if they were to implement it. I'm sure it would wind up being a common question--- where are you on the slider? Plus you could have the real numbers exist (and they would have to), they could even live in the dmg log... just the onscreen display would be divided and rounded off --- simply cosmetic.

A slider would be less likely though than a flat out setting i would guess. I don't think cryptic games support addons, but that's the sort of thing an addon could accomplish.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    the log could say something like:

Attacking X monster, Hit 1000 Damage, Damage slider 10

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Rounding off numbers would negate the satisfaction of doing just a TINY bit more damage after tweaking your character. If you've managed to hit for 2105 damage and make some miniscule tweak to your gear or spec or something and can now hit for 2114 then the rounded off number would be the 211 either way.

If you have to divide your damage numbers by a thousand then that's when you either:
    A.) Could care less whether you're hitting for 2000 damage or 2499 damage, as only a 2 shows up on your screen. That sounds pretty boring to me.
    B.) Have numbers that are much, much too large. If the designers can't work in enough incremental gear and level upgrades and still keep the numbers under 10,000 (or better yet 5,000) then they've failed.

In WoW the damage numbers didn't get that high till they'd mucked up the gear upgrades for a couple of expansions. I'd think that if Neverwinter keeps expanding then after 10,000 damage they might as well knock two zeroes off the number and change it to bright blue damage numbers.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Rounding off numbers would negate the satisfaction of doing just a TINY bit more damage after tweaking your character. If you've managed to hit for 2105 damage and make some miniscule tweak to your gear or spec or something and can now hit for 2114 then the rounded off number would be the 211 either way.

If you have to divide your damage numbers by a thousand then that's when you either:
    A.) Could care less whether you're hitting for 2000 damage or 2499 damage, as only a 2 shows up on your screen. That sounds pretty boring to me.
    B.) Have numbers that are much, much too large. If the designers can't work in enough incremental gear and level upgrades and still keep the numbers under 10,000 (or better yet 5,000) then they've failed.

In WoW the damage numbers didn't get that high till they'd mucked up the gear upgrades for a couple of expansions. I'd think that if Neverwinter keeps expanding then after 10,000 damage they might as well knock two zeroes off the number and change it to bright blue damage numbers.
    I would say that if we are doing over 10,000 DPS the slider should have a 1000 mark if not just use 100 as the max. That makes it a little more easily done and if it is under 50 then it rounds down above 50 it rounds up. Im just saying as a PnP player I would prefer the option to make it seem lower(I can always switch it back to test the exact damage I do).
    I get you point but you may not understand how if I play and MMO and say 10 was a good DPS fine getting a 10 is exciting. More so if I crit.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mnaticmnatic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 233 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    i usually do not like to be negative but i dont like high number damage or the number art in this so far. I think it will be the first MMO where i turn it off.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mnaticmnatic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 233 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    I would say that if we are doing over 10,000 DPS the slider should have a 1000 mark if not just use 100 as the max. That makes it a little more easily done and if it is under 50 then it rounds down above 50 it rounds up. Im just saying as a PnP player I would prefer the option to make it seem lower(I can always switch it back to test the exact damage I do).
    I get you point but you may not understand how if I play and MMO and say 10 was a good DPS fine getting a 10 is exciting. More so if I crit.

totally agree with crowbar,
    also if we "have" to ahve these big numbers, i would like to see (2K) pop up rather than 2000. this is to much yellow or red on the screen. I fully intend on turning it off if i have the choice, but i too would like to see pnp type number damage.
    Longsword +1 not Longsword +100
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    mnatic wrote: »
    i usually do not like to be negative but i dont like high number damage or the number art in this so far. I think it will be the first MMO where i turn it off.

Oh, I'll definitely turn it off, I always do. Chat/Bars is enough for me to know whats going on. :)

Compared to some side scrollers I've seen though, this games numbers are quite subdued.
  • Options
    gaymer87gaymer87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 291 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    I'd rather see large numbers on my screen than the morons on chat. Hopefully they allow options to satisfy a larger group of people. I definitely don't want to see myself doing 1,000,000 damage, but in all honesty if I see 10 damage or 1,000,000 damage, I'd be glad just because I am enjoying the game regardless.
    *~Ezenkrul Kor'hedron -Drow Sorcerer~* **on hold**
    *~Serixil Kor'hedron- Drow Trickster~*
  • Options
    devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    Well this is an MMO first and foremost and DnD second, so direct translation of the dmg dice was thrown out and say good riddance. I say that because look at DDO, Wizzies or Sorc were already doing 1,000s points of dmg and the same is applied to the Barbs with the ED. ED allows sorcs or wizzies to do 10k work of dmg now I think. Direct translation is not possible. Especially since PnP is tactical combat vs an MMO or in the case of Neverwinter action combat.

MMO mechanics and PnP mechanic...does...not...work together. PnP does not have scaling nearly to the degree of MMOs. People get uber gear, get all kinds of buffs they normally won't get, find exploitable tactics, and want a challenge. That's the nature of MMOs.

Every MMO I've come across has to option of floating combat text which I'd wager we'll have so if it bothers you then disable it.

However the dmg does seem a bit excessive. In the 100s or 1,000s sure but 10k... especially in the lvling stage... bit extreme. But then they could have ramped up the dmg because it was beta or a demo.
  • Options
    aesclealaescleal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    So how does my +1 sword translate into damage if mobs can take 1,000's of points of damage? I'm not sure I agree with Devote here. I think they can actually dial it down. It's just less glamorous.
  • Options
    popsook69popsook69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Regarding the video, at level 55 I don't think 800-3000 dmg numbers is too high. As for the art, I like it but to each their own of course and as most games like this, there should be UI options to manage the visuals of them for each player.
  • Options
    aesclealaescleal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I do like the art, I think they are doing fantastic artistically speaking. The game looks amazing in nearly every regard! And maybe my criticism of large numbers is unwarranted. Is it just that they are showcasing level 50-60 characters who are fighting end game monsters? I mean the numbers are still too high for my liking, but maybe at the lower levels the numbers are much much more tamed.
    Is there footage or dev commentary that suggests this could be the case?
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    aescleal wrote: »
    I do like the art, I think they are doing fantastic artistically speaking. The game looks amazing in nearly every regard! And maybe my criticism of large numbers is unwarranted. Is it just that they are showcasing level 50-60 characters who are fighting end game monsters? I mean the numbers are still too high for my liking, but maybe at the lower levels the numbers are much much more tamed.
    Is there footage or dev commentary that suggests this could be the case?

it would be hilarious if it was lv 1 char damage. my pc would crash on the intensive number display by level 20