test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

4.0e Links - Knowledge is the key.

2»

Comments

• Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    I'll read over what I can over the weekend, or maybe later tonight. I did skim it all for RoC no's no's but didn't pay attention to detail. I do recall that there were some things I wanted to read in detail and I see I have it in my bookmarks, but it must have slipped this crazy mind. :)
  • Options
    mnaticmnatic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 233 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    if you put a selection of feats on a page and then give a level modifier to allow you to only choose what you are levelled too, guess what, unless you put it one under the next one its going to aesthetically look like a tree.

All games need to show you a clear path of progrssion i.e a tree (unfortunately), although i agree the more feats skill we could choose from as well as a design aesthetic could reduce the overall treeness but calling a fish a cactus does not make it a cactus.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    elveelve Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 336
    edited January 2013
    I personally find any info dump on D&D really misleading when it comes to Neverwinter as classes, races, feats, weapons and even combat in general obviously do not work the same way as in D&D 4th Edition.
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    elve wrote: »
    I personally find any info dump on D&D really misleading when it comes to Neverwinter as classes, races, feats, weapons and even combat in general obviously do not work the same way as in D&D 4th Edition.

I think "misleading" here is a misleading word. ( :p ). Misleading is when an info is inaccurate. It introduces you to the source on which this game is based. You can call it superfluous perhaps, or overwhelming, but misleading does not fit here.
  • Options
    elveelve Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 336
    edited January 2013
    Well, I think "misleading" is completely accurate in the case. The classes in NWO are actually builds in D&D, the weapons in NWO are specific to a class(meaning 1 weapon = 1 class) and in D&D there is no such thing, the feats are handled differently, character development is completely different. "Superfluous" would be if you introduce information that barely scratches the surface of what is to be in the game which is not the case here. D&D is really different system than the ones used in the game(even though they might be inspired by D&D's 4th edition ruleset).
  • Options
    aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,364 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Well, this is for those who'd like to learn a bit about 4e. Believe it or not, there are some that despise it, yet are willing to read up on it (they're here after all, right?), and then there are those that played "back in the day" and would like to see whats new. NWO can not hide away from the 4e ruleset its plainly based on, and they can not hide from those who have played and enjoyed earlier editions. I think I also made clear that this is nothing more than a primer, a summary to get their feet wet.

Let's see if folks get some value from it. If they don't, then this thread wont get many hits and it will fall by the wayside. I'm ok with that. If however, it spurs thought and/or conversation of 4e, from those who otherwise may not have initiated research beyond their current understanding (or lack thereof), and found some value in it, than I have done my good deed for the day.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • Options
    deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Well, this is for those who'd like to learn a bit about 4e. Believe it or not, there are some that despise it, yet are willing to read up on it (they're here after all, right?), and then there are those that played "back in the day" and would like to see whats new. NWO can not hide away from the 4e ruleset its plainly based on, and they can not hide from those who have played and enjoyed earlier editions. I think I also made clear that this is nothing more than a primer, a summary to get their feet wet.

Let's see if folks get some value from it. If they don't, then this thread wont get many hits and it will fall by the wayside. I'm ok with that. If however, it spurs thought and/or conversation of 4e, from those who otherwise may not have initiated research beyond their current understanding (or lack thereof), and found some value in it, than I have done my good deed for the day.
    I have a lot of 4E stuff just no one to play it with. Other than nerfing Magic Missile it all seems fine to me though.
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    To properly compare and contrast the MMO with the tabletop 4e game one must understand 4e. Therefore this topic makes sense. After all, even Aandre had to learn up on 4E somewhat to prepare for this game and the forum links associated with it. Heck, even I had to bring up books and look up stuff when we got into specific discussions on the forums, and I bet Zeb's no exception when it comes to our fellow D&D sages here.

So it's good if it helps the rules, the lore or just discuss what the whole thing means to this game.

Okay, I seem like a crazy rambling man looking at this reply, so better stop now...and get off my lawn *starts casting fireballs*!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ghosty2aghosty2a Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Maybe sticky this somewhere? I'm sure I aint the only one with zero knowledge about 4e.