What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Agents of Yesterday Announcement

Comments

• Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    daveyny wrote: »
    Except for the last 20 years it has been considered part of Official Canon by both Paramount and CBS.
    (and has been republished Four times)

And until Roddenberry got annoyed with Mr. Joseph, he considered it canon also.

It's the very first OFFICIALLY SANCTIONED piece of Trek Merchandise.

It was used as reference material for "The Motion Picture", "The Wrath of Khan" and was even part of the Writers Handbook for Phase II.

To try and demean it now is just petty.

B)

it never appeared on screen, it isnt canon. to call it canon is to call prelude to axanar canon as well.. twisting that logic there a bit huh?

Um - you realize that by that logic Star Trek Online is 100% non-canon, and all the STO ships are just 'fan made' as well, so again - I don't see what point you're actually trying to make with regard to ANYTHING that Cryptic (or CBS) decide can or can't be added to STO. :)

STO IS 100% non-canon...there's never been any doubt there​​

Exactly - so again, why is someone making an argument that a non-canon Star Trek game cannot include both cannon and non canon designs?
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    because any non-canon design that wasn't created in-house at cryptic would require them to get special permission from both CBS AND whoever owns the design to put it ingame (like they had to do with the vesta), whereas canon designs are automatically provided for under the blanket license cryptic has with CBS since CBS owns them

the argument comes from the fact that several designs of starfleet ship have...dubious at best canon status because they were never seen onscreen as actual ships, but schematics or MSD images of them have been spotted​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Lovely to get into the TOS period, it's LONG overdue.

However, upon reviewing the packs, I'm a bit disappointed by the ships. Notably, the Daedalus class ship was nearly 100 years old by the time the Constitution entered service, yet you've STILL relegated the most powerful Federation starship of the TOS era to mere Tier 1 status.

It continues to make me sad that the most iconic, most famous and most significant Star Trek starship remains condemned to near uselessness.

This has been commented upon already by people who agree with you, myself included.

MY only guess would be that those who are in charge of such decisions, didn't want the connie to have a T6 equivalent based on the connie design, like the rest of the ships, (remember you can use the older skins on the newer T6 vessels as per Salami), so the connie was intentionally kept at a lower tier/status and is the only ship, SO FAR AS WE KNOW, that's been excluded and doesn't have a T6 equivalent based on the TOS design. That's really odd.

But in my opinion, it almost feels to me as if this was done a tad too intentionally, it makes no sense to finally allow T6 ships to fly around with TOS era skins, only to exclude the connie itself, a ship everyone's been specifically going gaga for, FOR YEARS. I don't think either CBS or Cryptic would be that cruel.

It almost feels like there is still a shoe to drop on the subject, perhaps another revelation AND maybe another ship we haven't seen, or been told about yet.
    Add to that, the fact that Vic Mignogna, a man who played Kirk in Star Trek Continues, did the voice over for the expansion, so you just know that the Enterprise itself, is gonna be featured somehow with Vic as Kirk, AND the fact that the connie model itself just recently got some lovin...

Historically, Cryptic updates older models, like the Akira, the Intrepid ect. ect, to sell us a new ship.

I specifically feel as tho this is all points to some intentional tease, partly because we now know these TOS designs can be used on the new temporal T6 ships, but also remember that the connie was specifically and CRYPTICALLY featured at the end, in that earlier video featuring the new Na'kuhl story arc and new season. If you remember it set off the whole T6 connie debate again and this time, the discussion wasn't squelched like it has been in the past.

Someone's being, extremely coy about how bad some players want a T6 connie.

Course, I could be completely off my trolley about the whole thing too ...:D
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Yet when a new a 'new-kid-on-the-block' opened a T-6 Constitution Question thread yesterday, he was slam-dunked by a half dozen other folks and the thread was promptly closed down.

Here we are discussing it openly in Trendy's Announcement Thread and the ban-hammer has failed to swing.

Somethin' ain't kosher here Lucy... There is quite a bit of mixed-messaging going on and even I'm a bit confused at this point.

B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Yet when a new a 'new-kid-on-the-block' opened a T-6 Constitution Question thread yesterday, he was slam-dunked by a half dozen other folks and the thread was promptly closed down.

Here we are discussing it openly in Trendy's Announcement Thread and the Ban Hammer has failed to swing.

Somethin' ain't kosher here Lucy... There is quite a bit of mixed-messaging going on.

B)

On that thread, did things eventually devolve into prohibited forum behavior ? You mentioned he was "slam-dunked" .

I dunno, like I said, someone's been awfully coy here about the subject if you ask me. OR I'm just being daft....

Regardless, I'm personally still excited about the expansion either way !
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    no, the reason for closure was that it was a FCT topic​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    And what is this that we're talking about now, chopped-liver??

The cat is out of the bag so to speak, especially since we've had several threads in the last few months that have delved into the subject at hand.

All the ones that stayed civil are pretty much still accessible.

Even so, none of them were closed due to the FTC.

I believe that yesterday was a knee-jerk reaction that happened.

B)
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1

However, upon reviewing the packs, I'm a bit disappointed by the ships. Notably, the Daedalus class ship was nearly 100 years old by the time the Constitution entered service, yet you've STILL relegated the most powerful Federation starship of the TOS era to mere Tier 1 status.

It continues to make me sad that the most iconic, most famous and most significant Star Trek starship remains condemned to near uselessness.

This has been commented upon already by people who agree with you, myself included.

MY only guess would be that those who are in charge of such decisions, didn't want the connie to have a T6 equivalent based on the connie design, like the rest of the ships, (remember you can use the older skins on the newer T6 vessels as per Salami), so the connie was intentionally kept at a lower tier/status and is the only ship, SO FAR AS WE KNOW, that's been excluded and doesn't have a T6 equivalent based on the TOS design. That's really odd.

But in my opinion, it almost feels to me as if this was done a tad too intentionally, it makes no sense to finally allow T6 ships to fly around with TOS era skins, only to exclude the connie itself, a ship everyone's been specifically going gaga for, FOR YEARS. I don't think either CBS or Cryptic would be that cruel.

It almost feels like there is still a shoe to drop on the subject, perhaps another revelation AND maybe another ship we haven't seen, or been told about yet.
    Add to that, the fact that Vic Mignogna, a man who played Kirk in Star Trek Continues, did the voice over for the expansion, so you just know that the Enterprise itself, is gonna be featured somehow with Vic as Kirk, AND the fact that the connie model itself just recently got some lovin...

Historically, Cryptic updates older models, like the Akira, the Intrepid ect. ect, to sell us a new ship.

I specifically feel as tho this is all points to some intentional tease, partly because we now know these TOS designs can be used on the new temporal T6 ships, but also remember that the connie was specifically and CRYPTICALLY featured at the end, in that earlier video featuring the new Na'kuhl story arc and new season. If you remember it set off the whole T6 connie debate again and this time, the discussion wasn't squelched like it has been in the past.

Someone's being, extremely coy about how bad some players want a T6 connie.

Course, I could be completely off my trolley about the whole thing too ...:D

I'm guessing there's an ent-j shaped c-store ship coming later that will be its own separate sell off and allow us the skins. It's a perfect double dip for them. Either that or a "Fleet Retrofit" for a t6
  • Options
    paspinallpaspinall Member Posts: 290 Arc User
    kekvin wrote: »
    Im hoping the no endgame connie has changed since they r now allowing t6 tos ships. Would b weired to be able to use a daed at t6 which is older the the con

Which of the TOS ships there is T6 ? I see at the highest a T5 which will presumably be upgradable to a 5U

I'm pretty sure that's a CBS mandate. So blame CBS.

But the mandate doesn't make sense now. If you are doing an actual TOS era then the Connie should near the end of of the tree not at the front. She is a powerful ship. originally only 12 were planned. So having her T1 in the TOS era MAKES NO DARN SENSE!

The Connie is the only one NOT a "temporal" upgrade
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    qjunior wrote: »

All the ships have Temporal in their names, so I guess those are ships upgraded to counter the temporal incursion threat. Because otherwise how would those ships be able to compete with technology centuries ahead ?

The first part of the story might just be about discovering what's happening, and at that point you still fly a vanilla TOS ship.

You know, that could be a perfectly legit reason for the Connie to remain T1 and while older Daedalus is T2... the Daedalus we gain access to has been quietly improved with "futuretech" in order to help you deal with temporal adversaries that have done the same.

You start out with of one of the best ships of the era (the Connie, or a recently completed Pioneer), yet rapidly encounter technology and capabilities that outpace anything you've ever seen. So when you are contacted by <insert timecop here> offering you access to a ship retrofitted with advanced technology, you jump at the chance even though the ship appears out-of-date compared to your current vessel. This comes with strings attached, however, and you begin working as a local asset tasked with removing temporal threats parallel to your service in Starfleet. As you progress, <insert timecop here> provides you with further updated vessels, and (as a result of your successes within your own era and flexibility in dealing with temporal issues) eventually recruits you as a full Temporal Operative working to protect the timeline as a whole. At that time you gain full access to Temporal Ships and technologies, and are given the option to retrofit you older vessels with the full range of those technologies (using the TOS skin) or simply command one of the advanced versions (using the T6 skin).

Mind you, that doesn't end the argument for a T6 Connie, since nothing in that bit of possible story precludes retrofitting your original Constitution once you become a full Temporal Operative.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    keletteskelettes Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Linking in some more info-crunchies, thoughts and opinions, plus some speculation (heavy emphasis added)

Link to Lootcritter article :)
    "Ad astra audacter eamus in alis fidelium."
    -
    "To boldly go to the stars on the wings of the faithful."
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I really don't want to go through 21 pages of comments, but you do know early September is also Summer.

Forget the movie it us NOT CBS. The Series will Premier in the January/February time frame. It cannot be released earlier due to an arrangement with Paramount. They have to wait at least six months after the movie to release the Series.

You will actually find a parrellel with how the Series will be handled, to a possible handling of future Expansions/Seasons in STO.

ERAS.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    I'm guessing it'll hit either the second or third week of August (9th or 16th).
    Far enough away from "Beyond" so as not to swipe any of it's hype, but close enough to capitalize on the Trek mania.
    Also, it'll be just after the Vegas Convention where I'm sure They will have lots of opportunity to peddle Their brand new Expansion.
    B)
  • Options
    brianduselbriandusel Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    Speaking of ships for this expansion, I can't wait to see a TOS Miranda as well as whatever other on C-Store TOS ships are offered. I think someone on another thread pointed out the Pioneer for LT TOS. This will be very interesting.
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    You start out with of one of the best ships of the era (the Connie, or a recently completed Pioneer), yet rapidly encounter technology and capabilities that outpace anything you've ever seen. So when you are contacted by <insert timecop here> offering you access to a ship retrofitted with advanced technology, you jump at the chance even though the ship appears out-of-date compared to your current vessel. This comes with strings attached, however, and you begin working as a local asset tasked with removing temporal threats parallel to your service in Starfleet. As you progress, <insert timecop here> provides you with further updated vessels, and (as a result of your successes within your own era and flexibility in dealing with temporal issues) eventually recruits you as a full Temporal Operative working to protect the timeline as a whole. At that time you gain full access to Temporal Ships and technologies, and are given the option to retrofit you older vessels with the full range of those technologies (using the TOS skin) or simply command one of the advanced versions (using the T6 skin).
    My theory was that the player will be somekind of Temporal agent (31th century) from the beginning and will just pretend to be from the 23rd century. But that would be terrible IMO, it'd feel like cheating and make the whole point of playing a TOS era character feel pointless.

I like your theory much better!
    But i think, it requires the option to switch between 23rd and 25th century. Having the character being stranded in the 25th century would be disappointing TBH, especially since we have already been teased with some gorgeous TOS retro artwork (starbases and interiors).
    I think the AoY Character should have his "Base" in the 23rd century, similar like ROM characters have access to the Romulan Command social zone.

The one thing i can't quite make sense of is how the players ships are supposed to be on par with 25th century standards.
    Equipment shouldn't be much of a problem, but the ships themselves even more. Will those TOS ships be just camourflage and be in reality some 31th century ships? (i'm not that enthusiastic about that idea TBH)
    Or does the player have to toss his inferior 23rd century ship to the Future in order to upgrade it?
    Both options don't sound very good IMO.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    Since its going to be awhile before it actually comes out I might be interested in it if they added a Temporal D7 to the mix to play TOS KDF lol(since during this time both empires were sharing tech thus they both had D7's and the b'rel was a co-op design). I am pretty sure it read somewhere would be faction based content for all the factions but I just can't see that being so if all we are seeing is federation based ships. Plus EP said pulling out all the stops for this anniversary but meh I'm not seeing it yet.
  • Options
    xablisxablis Member Posts: 236 Arc User
    So here is my question now that klingon and romulan players have been told to stop complaining because 2 of the T6 ships will be "faction agnostic": why aren't all the T6 ships going to be faction agnostic? If at some point in the future we are all one big happy part of the federation (or whatever comes after), why are these factions restricted from using all the ships available? Please explain your half-assed logic to me (and i hope others) Cryptic.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    We have only received information about a small portion of what is coming with this expansion.

How about we wait and see what else They have planned, before we jump on the condemnation wagon.

And actually, most of what I've read around here has been along the lines of "why did you expect anything else" with a TOS Themed expansion.
    B)
  • Options
    captainknight88captainknight88 Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    If this is as big as they are saying, this could be 1 of 3 packs coming out.
    1 for Klingons and 1 for Romulans being shown in the next Blogs.
    I can only hope being I play all the factions.
  • Options
    sythkainynsythkainyn Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    qjunior wrote: »

All the ships have Temporal in their names, so I guess those are ships upgraded to counter the temporal incursion threat. Because otherwise how would those ships be able to compete with technology centuries ahead ?

The first part of the story might just be about discovering what's happening, and at that point you still fly a vanilla TOS ship.

2 other likely reasons.

1. Cryptic already has a T1 Constitution, did you really think they'd redo it and make it the correct tier, even if CBS said ok?
    2. They can't even get ship classes (Escort is a ROLE not a CLASS, same for Science), officer ranks for ships or weapon power/count right (small energy packet, rapid fire devices are for defensive fire, not offensive) did you really think they'd get the power level of TOS ships right?

STO is, however, the best (far as I recall, only) online Star Trek game (especially where you don't just play a ship) so... Still playing it, even occasionally able to be leveraged into spending money on it... Far less than if there weren't forced to have Tovens or random result dilithium cost crafted gear and wrong shipness... but still some.

Interested in seeing what we get out of this for our 'main time' characters... would actually like better TOS looking hand phasers and more blue ship phasers... and if that's an 'any faction' Science ship, then finally my Sci Rom will have something to fly. Not really fond of the Krenim one for some reason. I hope it can cloak... Always a bit awkward to be the only Rom in the party who can't.
  • Options
    As to the launch of this is anyones guess with the CBS and Paramount deals I heard maybe going on.
    Summer is 3 months long people, plus Cryptic might have to launch this before the Star Trek movie is released or have to wait.
  • Options
    ensignfreekillensignfreekill Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    If they do this for TOS Klingons.. will we have to be skinny dudes with the fu-manchu beards, and no head barbs? Going back to the period when ... nevermind, we don't want to talk about it.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1

this is a beautiful beautiful pipe dream that will never happen.... but enjoy that delusion while you can hold onto it bro... you're in a better place
  • Options
    If they do this for TOS Klingons.. will we have to be skinny dudes with the fu-manchu beards, and no head barbs? Going back to the period when ... nevermind, we don't want to talk about it.

Same for all Romulans with ridges, which never made sense being Vulcans never grow any.
    I like the Klingons with the ridges!
  • Options
    cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,524 Arc User
    I jist hope we see a return of the TOS Gorn skins they removed from the game ages ago. I thought they were much better than the current Gorn skins and should have never been removed from the game
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    As to the launch of this is anyones guess with the CBS and Paramount deals I heard maybe going on.
    Summer is 3 months long people, plus Cryptic might have to launch this before the Star Trek movie is released or have to wait.

There's absolutely no reason They have to "launch" before "Beyond" hits the theaters.
    (and Paramount would probably prefer They didn't, so as to not steal any of their thunder)

Actually, it would benefit Them most to launch it the week after the Vegas Trek Convention in August, as that would still give Them some hype from the new movie and They'll be able to peddle it to a TON of Trek Fans during the convention.

Being able to tell all those potential NEW players at the convention that the new Classic Trek Expansion to the game will be available within a week.

Logical.

B)
  • Options

this is a beautiful beautiful pipe dream that will never happen.... but enjoy that delusion while you can hold onto it bro... you're in a better place[/quote

True or False Dyson ships: Klingon and Romulan packs, from what I saw in C-store, which was released before I started playing the game again was that for the Delta Rising Expansion.
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    Hopefully they'll stay true to TOS. No female Captains. Sorry, that was the way it was until Capt Rachel Garrity, Enterprise C.
    And NO BORG. In fact most of the other races would not be there. Cant wait to see this.

the only reason TOS had no female captains was NBC resisted women in actual positions of authority, getting rid of Number One was part of the deal with the second pilot
    Spock.jpg

• Options

There's absolutely no reason They have to "launch" before "Beyond" hits the theaters.
    (and Paramount would probably prefer They didn't, so as to not steal any of their thunder)

Actually, it would benefit Them most to launch it the week after the Vegas Trek Convention in August, as that would still give Them some hype from the new movie and They'll be able to peddle it to a TON of Trek Fans during the convention.

Being able to tell all those potential NEW players at the convention that the new Classic Trek Expansion to the game will be available within a week.

Logical.

B)

That could be true, do you or anyone else think this is a season 12 tie in?
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    Someone here said that the temporal agent packs are an introductory price and it will raise at some point.

I disagree because there is absolutely no verbiage reflecting this on either of the official pages talking about them.

Unless someone has evidence?