Agents of Yesterday Announcement

Comments

• Options
    umbergreyumbergrey Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    This looks awesome. Cannot wait.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Someone here said that the temporal agent packs are an introductory price and it will raise at some point.

I disagree because there is absolutely no verbiage reflecting this on either of the official pages talking about them.

Unless someone has evidence?

It is most likely the actual price.
    The advertisement says that the 22 items are valued at much more than the $129.00 Dollar asking price.
    But it doesn't say that the $129.00 is a sale price.

I don't remember how long it was before the Romulan Packs were actually offered at a discount, but it was quite awhile after the launch of LoR.
    The same will probably be true for the Temporal packs.

B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    daveyny wrote: »
    As to the launch of this is anyones guess with the CBS and Paramount deals I heard maybe going on.
    Summer is 3 months long people, plus Cryptic might have to launch this before the Star Trek movie is released or have to wait.

There's absolutely no reason They have to "launch" before "Beyond" hits the theaters.
    (and Paramount would probably prefer They didn't, so as to not steal any of their thunder)

Actually, it would benefit Them most to launch it the week after the Vegas Trek Convention in August, as that would still give Them some hype from the new movie and They'll be able to peddle it to a TON of Trek Fans during the convention.

Being able to tell all those potential NEW players at the convention that the new Classic Trek Expansion to the game will be available within a week.

Logical.

B)
    Very much so. Also... they've done that every expansion.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    You know, that could be a perfectly legit reason for the Connie to remain T1 and while older Daedalus is T2... the Daedalus we gain access to has been quietly improved with "futuretech" in order to help you deal with temporal adversaries that have done the same.

Yeah, outfitting the TOS (and earlier) era ships with futuretech is sort of like outfitting a pre-Dreadnought armored cruiser (i.e. late-19th century ship) with 21st century guided missiles, radar, and fire control computers, and a gas turbine engine to replace its steam piston engine.

In STO, this sort of thing would justify why we can mount the same gear on our 23rd century ships as we do on our 25th century ships.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    or for a better analogy, adding steel beams and hull plate to reinforce the structure. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    That's your head-canon, not everybody else's.

Sorry, your ideas don't trump what was shown on screen.

B)

and you have yet to prove the blueprint themselves were not just an idea that never made it past prototyping even for the sake of your head canon that you consider them canon.

Sigh. Look up the TOS novel, "Dreadnought". Or the fact that the design has been core to the (licensed) Star Fleet Battles game since the 1970s.

The Dreadnought is as canon as the Vesta class - it's in the novels and games, and a fan-favourite.
  • Options
    jarenriccarjarenriccar Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    bloctoad wrote: »
    Six years later and they still cannot develop anything for KDF. We don't even get PVP anymore.

at what point would this be a surprise?
    starswordc wrote: »
    I can see it now:

Feds - 4 new universal special ability consoles for use on any fed ship, plus 6 new starship traits and 11 new admiralty ships
    KDF/RR - 2 or 3 new traits, 2 or 3 admiralty ships.

Swalldev posted on Reddit a fact about two of the ships that will be available in the expansion, the Eternal and the Ouroboros:
    :) well they are faction agnostic!

Source: Swall's thread section

This is the Eternal-class:
    345c2f1731b1b72e00555c7e9761c6131461696848.png

This is the Ouroboros-class:
    541bb4543e6806671c3576e2eebf64411461696797.png

And this? This is the preexisting Wells-class, a Federation-exclusive lockbox ship.
    Wells_Temporal_Science_Vessel.jpg

Faction-agnostic my backside. They're just shoving Federation designs onto the Roms and Klinks and saying "Meh, everything's fine."

Their Being faction-agnostic is a pretty clear statement of intent-as you said, they aren't even pretending to be doing a multifaction game anymore. The message, is clear; Leave or play Fed.

The correct response is also clear: "We're not leaving, we're not dropping our faction-specific characters, we're not going anywhere".

I'm thinkiing it may be time, once again, to invade the weekend with a storm of KDF and KDF-Romulan Alts in faction specific ships, doing Faction specific things, let the feddiebears have their cross-faction content all to themselves like they want, and for a couple weeks, only group with "our kind", then point and laugh when the STF problems threads explode with feddybear tears.

It's time to remind the Devs we're still here, and we're not giving in just because they don't think we fit their vision of "real" Star Trek fans.

Let's really give Geko some heartburn.

OK, seriously.
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7246/26301507624_1247596ce2_b.jpg

You'll get content. It will never be as much content as Fed. BECAUSE STAR TREK IS ABOUT THE FEDERATION! there has never been a Klingon specific show. nor a Romulan show. And there likely never will be.

Not that i wouldn't watch it if it did exist because that would be awesome.

Furthermore, when the game launched, it had one faction. Klingons were only playable as a PVP gimmick. the game has made MASSIVE strides to change that, but this game will always favor, cater to, and focus on the federation. it always has, it always will. that doesn't mean you will never get content, you will just have to be much more patient, and accept that most of it will be non-faction specific.

Personally, i think that after the mission where the Klingon/Federation war ends, it should be more or less a one faction game where you don't have to be in a queued STF to be teamed up. because after that mission everyone is on the same side.
    27507930894_3855d74146_o.jpg

• Options
    keletteskelettes Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Yeah, outfitting the TOS (and earlier) era ships with futuretech is sort of like outfitting a pre-Dreadnought armored cruiser (i.e. late-19th century ship) with 21st century guided missiles, radar, and fire control computers, and a gas turbine engine to replace its steam piston engine.

In STO, this sort of thing would justify why we can mount the same gear on our 23rd century ships as we do on our 25th century ships.

The exact reason why I think the "TOS-Temporals" aren't 23rd century ships at all :smile: They were just built either by us (25th c.) or our future counterparts (29th c. or later) in such a way so they could "fit in".

This would explain why we see "T6-Temporal" ships that were "inspired" by older ship classes. They are easier to modify and make them look "retro", allowing them to do missions in the TOS era without attracting too much attention. :smile: Take the Sagittarius and the Gemini for example. Their space frames look almost identical, so most of the work is already done.

And no I'm not saying the "T6-Temporals" were designed for this specific purpose. :smile: They just "fit the bill" when the need for such ships came up for... w/e it is that we'll be doing in the 23rd century. X)

I could be totally wrong, of course! XD We'll see.
    Post edited by kelettes on
    "Ad astra audacter eamus in alis fidelium."
    -
    "To boldly go to the stars on the wings of the faithful."
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    If this is as big as they are saying, this could be 1 of 3 packs coming out.
    1 for Klingons and 1 for Romulans being shown in the next Blogs.
    I can only hope being I play all the factions.

this is a beautiful beautiful pipe dream that will never happen.... but enjoy that delusion while you can hold onto it bro... you're in a better place

True or False Dyson ships: Klingon and Romulan packs, from what I saw in C-store, which was released before I started playing the game again was that for the Delta Rising Expansion.
    DSDs were for the anniversary and start of the Solanae stuff not DR
  • Options
    paspinallpaspinall Member Posts: 290 Arc User
    xablis wrote: »
    So here is my question now that klingon and romulan players have been told to stop complaining because 2 of the T6 ships will be "faction agnostic": why aren't all the T6 ships going to be faction agnostic? If at some point in the future we are all one big happy part of the federation (or whatever comes after), why are these factions restricted from using all the ships available? Please explain your half-assed logic to me (and i hope others) Cryptic.

because Two of the ships are from Further in to the future, so the immediately logical thought there, is those 2 are from the time when they are 1 big happy family; and the others from before.
  • Options
    paspinallpaspinall Member Posts: 290 Arc User
    Someone here said that the temporal agent packs are an introductory price and it will raise at some point.

I disagree because there is absolutely no verbiage reflecting this on either of the official pages talking about them.

It is most likely the actual price.
    The advertisement says that the 22 items are valued at much more than the $129.00 Dollar asking price.
    But it doesn't say that the $129.00 is a sale price.

I don't remember how long it was before the Romulan Packs were actually offered at a discount, but it was quite awhile after the launch of LoR.
    The same will probably be true for the Temporal packs.

B)

My only thing is a lot of people from a lot of places are saying this. And the LoR pack actually did start out on sale; then went up in price and then a good while after release were discounted.
  • Options
    vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    I'm cautiously excited. As far as STO is concerned, I've always been all about TOS. All but one of my characters are as TOS as possible (two Romulans, one alien-gen Klingon, one Gorn, one Andorian, one human), so a lot of this sounds and looks good to me.

Since we don't actually know much about the content beyond pictures, I'll confine myself to the aesthetics:

A new and much-improved Connie model (hopefully, retrofitting the existing Connies which people have already bought, too)!

TOS Andorian outfits for my Andorian crew is a wonderful thing, and VERY unexpected.

TOS Tellarite outfits...does anyone actually play Tellarites? I've seen a good number of Andorian player characters running about, but Tellarites - I can't remember the last time I saw one.

Will the new TOS Mirror uniforms include Kirk's captain's vest? Strange that the current Mirror pack has uniforms for all the officers, but not for the captain!

I LOVED the shot of the new Gorn on the page someone linked to earlier! I'm hoping this will be available for PC Gorn (and BOFFs). If it is, my Gorn captain will be spending some serious time in the space Barbie spa (aka the Tailor). :) Hopefully, the Bite trait will become available for Gorn BOFFs soon, but that's entirely unrelated to this.

What I would really hope for is not only a T6 Connie (or skin useable on a T6 ship), but a T6 T'Liss and a T6 D-7 (for KDF and ROMs), as well. Then we could finally have evenly matched TOS PvP. I've never really been one for PvP, but having those would convert me in a heartbeat.

Someone mentioned in an earlier post that TOS Klingon outfits are available in the C-Store, and that's not true - they are actually available by default in the game for free. Sadly, the sash is only available for FED Klingons as an old exclusive, (and worn on the right shoulder, so as not to cover the FED combadge, while TOS Klingons wore it on the left shoulder). Might the KDF hope for the TOS sash at least with this expansion? Is that too much to ask?

As for the rest, I'm looking forward to upcoming blog posts for more information, but I remain cautiously optimistic.
  • Options
    jarenriccarjarenriccar Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    vorwoda wrote: »
    Sadly, the sash is only available for FED Klingons as an old exclusive, (and worn on the right shoulder, so as not to cover the FED combadge, while TOS Klingons wore it on the left shoulder). Might the KDF hope for the TOS sash at least with this expansion? Is that too much to ask?

I actually have that baldric it was worf's season one TNG baldric and it isnt fed exclusive, one of my KDF klingons has it too. but if you look at the early rank KDF baldrics theres a set that is very TOS in its design (i think its the 3 Lt. Cmdr baldrics, but dont quote me on that.)
    27507930894_3855d74146_o.jpg

• Options
    narsussnarsuss Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    If the klingon factions aren't going to get any love i'll save my money. kinda fed up with kdf hardly ever getting anything.
  • Options
    narsussnarsuss Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    If this is as big as they are saying, this could be 1 of 3 packs coming out.
    1 for Klingons and 1 for Romulans being shown in the next Blogs.
    I can only hope being I play all the factions.

this is a beautiful beautiful pipe dream that will never happen.... but enjoy that delusion while you can hold onto it bro... you're in a better place

i agree with Kodachikuno as long as i been playing this game i'm surprised they haven't renamed it "Star Trek-Federation online"
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    narsuss wrote: »
    i agree with Kodachikuno as long as i been playing this game i'm surprised they haven't renamed it "Star Trek-Federation online"
    Actually it is...
    Guess whose "trek" to the stars "Star Trek" is about?

I'm not trying to accost you, but i think the goal of having two equal factions for STO was a bad decision from the start. The ppl in charge should have known that it would be too much work for too little $$$ (amongst MANY other problems that come with it).
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    yreodred wrote: »
    Actually it is...

I'm not trying to accost you, but i think the goal of having two equal factions for STO was a bad decision from the start. The ppl in charge should have known that it would be too much work for too little $$$ (amongst MANY other problems that come with it).
    They certainly have bitten of more than they could chew when they decided for that.

But, even if the KDF and Romulan support is (by some accounts) half-assed, I am still glad it's there, because it means I am not limited to flying Starfleet ships. I can also fly Klingon and Romulan vessels that partially even offer unique gamplay (with cloak and battle cloak, singularity powers, all-universal bird of preys) and totally offer a seperate look and feel. Heck, the KLingons do not just bring KLingon ships ,but also Nausicaan, Gorn and Orion.

I think it might have been better if they simply hadn't done a Klingon/Federation War arc, and instead designed the game with an "Alliance" from the start.
    You might still have seperate Starter arcs to get you into the main story arc, but it could be held short. And from there, they could have perhaps spend more time working out the dialog options to fit t he factions (and their member species perhaps even) more closely. That would probably have been easier to maintain and would probably lead to some development tools for Cryptic to enforce it better than they currently do.
    B'Vat is basically the primary Klingon War antagonist on the Fed side, he could have been a ursurper or manipulator that was attempting to cause a Klingon/Federation war and Klingon and Federation characters would reveal his plans. (He'd even fit into the whole temporal arc we have now, considering he uses future knowldge to manipulate events.)

But what has been done has been done.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    nadiezjanadiezja Member Posts: 629 Arc User
    A lot of people are talking as though this expansion has a bunch of stuff for current Starfleet characters and very little for KDF and Republic characters, but I see little evidence for that. It looks like there's slightly more content for Starfleet than for the others, but not much, because the bulk of the content is unique to the new TOS faction (much as the bulk of Legacy of Romulus's content was unique to the then-new Republic faction).

What we know each faction gets so far:

KDF: 2 new T6 ships, featured episode series, access to new specialization
    Republic: 2 new T6 ships, featured episode series, access to new specialization
    Starfleet: 2 new T6 ships, a few new uniforms, featured episode series, access to new specialization
    TOS: Being a thing, levelling content (probably unique or semi-unique 1-50, but that's speculation based on their ships), 5 new levelling ships, 6 new T6 ships, uniforms, featured episode series, access to new specialization

The focus of the expansion isn't the existing Starfleet faction; it's the new TOS faction.
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    yreodred wrote: »
    Actually it is...

They certainly have bitten of more than they could chew when they decided for that.

But, even if the KDF and Romulan support is (by some accounts) half-assed, I am still glad it's there, because it means I am not limited to flying Starfleet ships. I can also fly Klingon and Romulan vessels that partially even offer unique gamplay (with cloak and battle cloak, singularity powers, all-universal bird of preys) and totally offer a seperate look and feel. Heck, the KLingons do not just bring KLingon ships ,but also Nausicaan, Gorn and Orion.

I think it might have been better if they simply hadn't done a Klingon/Federation War arc, and instead designed the game with an "Alliance" from the start.
    You might still have seperate Starter arcs to get you into the main story arc, but it could be held short. And from there, they could have perhaps spend more time working out the dialog options to fit t he factions (and their member species perhaps even) more closely. That would probably have been easier to maintain and would probably lead to some development tools for Cryptic to enforce it better than they currently do.
    B'Vat is basically the primary Klingon War antagonist on the Fed side, he could have been a ursurper or manipulator that was attempting to cause a Klingon/Federation war and Klingon and Federation characters would reveal his plans. (He'd even fit into the whole temporal arc we have now, considering he uses future knowldge to manipulate events.)

But what has been done has been done.
    Sounds really good IMO.

"...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    chiefbrexchiefbrex Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    Okay, so here are my questions:

1) Does this expansion mean that we'll have a "23rd century only" version to the Galactic map?
    2) Does this mean that we'll be getting 23rd Century specific ships from Tier 1 to Tier 6 for all three playable factions?
    3) If this is taking place in 2270, how can players participate in "classic missions from TOS?"

Inquiring minds need to know.
  • Options
    chiefbrexchiefbrex Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    nadiezja wrote: »
    A lot of people are talking as though this expansion has a bunch of stuff for current Starfleet characters and very little for KDF and Republic characters, but I see little evidence for that. It looks like there's slightly more content for Starfleet than for the others, but not much, because the bulk of the content is unique to the new TOS faction (much as the bulk of Legacy of Romulus's content was unique to the then-new Republic faction).

Starfleet: 2 new T6 ships, a few new uniforms, featured episode series, access to new specialization
    TOS: Being a thing, levelling content (probably unique or semi-unique 1-50, but that's speculation based on their ships), 5 new levelling ships, 6 new T6 ships, uniforms, featured episode series, access to new specialization

The focus of the expansion isn't the existing Starfleet faction; it's the new TOS faction.

Thing is, though, most of the uniforms from that era of Star Trek are already available ingame. So, doubt we'll see much in that respect.
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,395 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Actually, there is a theory that B'Vat was actually
    an Undine.
    There are some clues that point out to this direction:
    -he mentions "there are no innocents, there are only the strong and the weak!" to K'Valk, something the Undine love to say.
    -his past self mentions how he has gone through a dishonorable path, which, while it may just be him having grown obsessed with leading an eternal war so the Klingon society doesn't grow weak, could also mean he was replaced and doesn't act like himself
    -he doesn't look that old despite being around for quite a while
    -he is the last of his house, so easier to replace without attracting attention
    -he was the Arbiter of Succession when J'mpok killed Martok and refused any claim Martok was killed dishonorably, bringing a warmonger at the head of the Klingon empire to destabilize the Alpha and Beta Quadrants even more.

That said, these clues are merely guesses and could be simple coincidences.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    You know, that could be a perfectly legit reason for the Connie to remain T1 and while older Daedalus is T2... the Daedalus we gain access to has been quietly improved with "futuretech" in order to help you deal with temporal adversaries that have done the same.

Speaking as the son of a US Navy shipbuilding officer (the technical term is engineering duty officer), do you have any idea at all how much retrofitting of the hull, structure, and systems this would require? You'd be practically building a new ship, and in fact doing that would be cheaper.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Speaking as the son of a US Navy shipbuilding officer (the technical term is engineering duty officer), do you have any idea at all how much retrofitting of the hull, structure, and systems this would require? You'd be practically building a new ship, and in fact doing that would be cheaper.

While I'm not positive...

I believe that @lilchibiclari was being just a bit facetious with that post.
    B)
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • Options
    edited May 2016

While I'm not positive...

I believe that was being just a bit facetious with that post.
    B)

Possibly, it's just I've seen so many posters that seriously think that kind of retrofitting is easy to do. Realistically it's as if somebody had suggested you could bring an A-6 Intruder (Vietnam-era ground attack jet, one of the first production planes to use computerized fire control) up to the level of an F-35 Lightning by throwing in a new engine and computer. You'd sooner make the whole damn plane fly to pieces.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    edited May 2016
    I think an actual comparison between upgrading 19th and 20th century ships, to 23rd and 24th century starship upgrades would be like comparing an apple to a banana.

And at this point we don't even know if the TOS Ships coming, are actual 23rd century starships or something dressed-up to look like them.
    (like the NX "replica" we already have in the game)

B)
  • Options
    umbergreyumbergrey Member Posts: 29 Arc User

This 100%.

Talking about this expansion being "all Fed" makes about as much sense as calling Legacy of Romulus "all Romulan". Well, of course it is. And a Cardassian expansion would be "all Cardassian".

• Options
    umbergrey wrote: »

This 100%.

Talking about this expansion being "all Fed" makes about as much sense as calling Legacy of Romulus "all Romulan". Well, of course it is. And a Cardassian expansion would be "all Cardassian".

People who say this like to ignore (or perhaps weren't aware) that LOR also added a full set of factional story arcs for the KDF. For once it actually was the Feds who got shafted. But even with LOR, Cryptic cheaped out by using the alliance system as an excuse not to make a full selection of warbirds and duty officers (not even as full as what the Klingons had!), and what the Roms and KDF got out of it still paled in comparison to what the Feds already had: by the close of T5, there were twice as many endgame Fed ships as there were Romulan and KDF ships combined.

Here again, Cryptic is throwing a bajillion things at the Feds and feeding the KDF and Roms some Feddie table scraps. That's especially where science vessels are concerned: the only T6 science vessels available to anybody who isn't a Fed are either lockbox or cross-faction junk, rather than something that actually looks and acts like a Romulan or Klingon ship.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    edited May 2016
    And again, one misses the fact that this is Primarily a FEDERATION game.
    Not a Klingon or a Romulan game.
    (and don't quote something that was said 8 years ago in response, that died the day the game launched)
    smh
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Agents of Yesteryear

This s how I always read and think it. I kinda prefer that title, even.
    Am I the only one with that hang-up?

Yes?

Okay. Go on with regularly scheduled excitement, speculation and rage.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.