test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Agents of Yesterday Announcement

Comments

• Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    I always think "Legends of Tomorrow" for some stupid reason.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    vorwoda wrote: »
    Sadly, the sash is only available for FED Klingons as an old exclusive, (and worn on the right shoulder, so as not to cover the FED combadge, while TOS Klingons wore it on the left shoulder). Might the KDF hope for the TOS sash at least with this expansion? Is that too much to ask?
    I actually have that baldric it was worf's season one TNG baldric and it isnt fed exclusive, one of my KDF klingons has it too. but if you look at the early rank KDF baldrics theres a set that is very TOS in its design (i think its the 3 Lt. Cmdr baldrics, but dont quote me on that.)
    Yeah, I looked at that yesterday, a lot of the low tier baldrics are woven fabric similar to the one Kor wore.
    staq16 wrote: »
    daveyny wrote: »
    That's your head-canon, not everybody else's.

Sorry, your ideas don't trump what was shown on screen.

B)
    and you have yet to prove the blueprint themselves were not just an idea that never made it past prototyping even for the sake of your head canon that you consider them canon.
    Sigh. Look up the TOS novel, "Dreadnought". Or the fact that the design has been core to the (licensed) Star Fleet Battles game since the 1970s.

The Dreadnought is as canon as the Vesta class - it's in the novels and games, and a fan-favourite.
    Yeah, but it's a separate timeline from STO :p
    B'Vat is basically the primary Klingon War antagonist on the Fed side, he could have been a ursurper or manipulator that was attempting to cause a Klingon/Federation war and Klingon and Federation characters would reveal his plans. (He'd even fit into the whole temporal arc we have now, considering he uses future knowldge to manipulate events.)
    Actually, there is a theory that B'Vat was actually
    an Undine.
    There are some clues that point out to this direction:
    -he mentions "there are no innocents, there are only the strong and the weak!" to K'Valk, something the Undine love to say.
    -his past self mentions how he has gone through a dishonorable path, which, while it may just be him having grown obsessed with leading an eternal war so the Klingon society doesn't grow weak, could also mean he was replaced and doesn't act like himself
    -he doesn't look that old despite being around for quite a while
    -he is the last of his house, so easier to replace without attracting attention
    -he was the Arbiter of Succession when J'mpok killed Martok and refused any claim Martok was killed dishonorably, bringing a warmonger at the head of the Klingon empire to destabilize the Alpha and Beta Quadrants even more.

That said, these clues are merely guesses and could be simple coincidences.
    That does make a lot of sense actually. His past self was astonished at how different a man his future self was.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    chiefbrexchiefbrex Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »
    umbergrey wrote: »
    nadiezja wrote: »
    A lot of people are talking as though this expansion has a bunch of stuff for current Starfleet characters and very little for KDF and Republic characters, but I see little evidence for that. It looks like there's slightly more content for Starfleet than for the others, but not much, because the bulk of the content is unique to the new TOS faction (much as the bulk of Legacy of Romulus's content was unique to the then-new Republic faction).

What we know each faction gets so far:

KDF: 2 new T6 ships, featured episode series, access to new specialization
    Republic: 2 new T6 ships, featured episode series, access to new specialization
    Starfleet: 2 new T6 ships, a few new uniforms, featured episode series, access to new specialization
    TOS: Being a thing, levelling content (probably unique or semi-unique 1-50, but that's speculation based on their ships), 5 new levelling ships, 6 new T6 ships, uniforms, featured episode series, access to new specialization

The focus of the expansion isn't the existing Starfleet faction; it's the new TOS faction.

This 100%.

Talking about this expansion being "all Fed" makes about as much sense as calling Legacy of Romulus "all Romulan". Well, of course it is. And a Cardassian expansion would be "all Cardassian".

People who say this like to ignore (or perhaps weren't aware) that LOR also added a full set of factional story arcs for the KDF. For once it actually was the Feds who got shafted. But even with LOR, Cryptic cheaped out by using the alliance system as an excuse not to make a full selection of warbirds and duty officers (not even as full as what the Klingons had!), and what the Roms and KDF got out of it still paled in comparison to what the Feds already had: by the close of T5, there were twice as many endgame Fed ships as there were Romulan and KDF ships combined.

Here again, Cryptic is throwing a bajillion things at the Feds and feeding the KDF and Roms some Feddie table scraps. That's especially where science vessels are concerned: the only T6 science vessels available to anybody who isn't a Fed are either lockbox or cross-faction junk, rather than something that actually looks and acts like a Romulan or Klingon ship.

Well, considering that Star Trek, as a franchise, has been done primarily from the perspective of the Federation, it stands to reason that the Federation faction would get more stuff in Star Trek Online. However, from another perspective, STO was Cryptic's opportunity to flesh out the other empires of the Star Trek Universe, and that hasn't really happened. Which is a shame.
  • Options
    They have done some development, not as much as I'd like, but a lot more than the TV shows.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    How ecstatic would some folks be if one whole season of Trek-2017, was from the viewpoint of the Klingons or Romulans.

IF, the "Anthology" rumor pans out.
    B)
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    chiefbrex wrote: »
    A lot of people are talking as though this expansion has a bunch of stuff for current Starfleet characters and very little for KDF and Republic characters, but I see little evidence for that. It looks like there's slightly more content for Starfleet than for the others, but not much, because the bulk of the content is unique to the new TOS faction (much as the bulk of Legacy of Romulus's content was unique to the then-new Republic faction).

Starfleet: 2 new T6 ships, a few new uniforms, featured episode series, access to new specialization
    TOS: Being a thing, levelling content (probably unique or semi-unique 1-50, but that's speculation based on their ships), 5 new levelling ships, 6 new T6 ships, uniforms, featured episode series, access to new specialization

The focus of the expansion isn't the existing Starfleet faction; it's the new TOS faction.

This 100%.

Talking about this expansion being "all Fed" makes about as much sense as calling Legacy of Romulus "all Romulan". Well, of course it is. And a Cardassian expansion would be "all Cardassian".

People who say this like to ignore (or perhaps weren't aware) that LOR also added a full set of factional story arcs for the KDF. For once it actually was the Feds who got shafted. But even with LOR, Cryptic cheaped out by using the alliance system as an excuse not to make a full selection of warbirds and duty officers (not even as full as what the Klingons had!), and what the Roms and KDF got out of it still paled in comparison to what the Feds already had: by the close of T5, there were twice as many endgame Fed ships as there were Romulan and KDF ships combined.

Here again, Cryptic is throwing a bajillion things at the Feds and feeding the KDF and Roms some Feddie table scraps. That's especially where science vessels are concerned: the only T6 science vessels available to anybody who isn't a Fed are either lockbox or cross-faction junk, rather than something that actually looks and acts like a Romulan or Klingon ship.

Well, considering that Star Trek, as a franchise, has been done primarily from the perspective of the Federation, it stands to reason that the Federation faction would get more stuff in Star Trek Online. However, from another perspective, STO was Cryptic's opportunity to flesh out the other empires of the Star Trek Universe, and that hasn't really happened. Which is a shame.

Come back and say that after you've played Starfleet Command. Seriously, try it. GOG has it dirt cheap and it runs great on Windows 10.

Every Star Trek game besides STO where multiple factions are playable has managed to make each side not only balanced in equipment and content, but mechanically and stylistically distinct. Cryptic is actively trying to do the opposite.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    They have done some development, not as much as I'd like, but a lot more than the TV shows.

It seems to me that Cryptic is a bit ... trapped (?) perhaps in the desire or need to show us everywhere where Star Trek has already been. They have been shy on introducing really new species or (NPC) factions. Though they do have fleshed out things a bit, especially in the starship design department.

But a completely original storyline independent of existing antagonists for example seems not on the table. Maybe that's only logical, considering they are using an established franchise. But of course it clashes with ideals of "exploration", for example.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    nadiezjanadiezja Member Posts: 629 Arc User
    The Iconians, while they were mentioned before, were basically new. The Heralds were completely new.
  • Options
    pcsparhawkpcsparhawk Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    This sounds very promising but the only draw back I find is will Cryptic be giving us the extra slots for the new shipsas this can prove expensive on its own or even a package deal?
  • Options
    Sparhawk (Eddings fan?), most of the new ships appear to be for a new faction. Your existing characters won't need new slots for them.

Only the Oroborus and Eternal have been confirmed to be cross-faction
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    Sparhawk (Eddings fan?), most of the new ships appear to be for a new faction. Your existing characters won't need new slots for them.

Only the Oroborus and Eternal have been confirmed to be cross-faction

Where do people get the idea from that there will be a new faction ? It irritates me that this is some fact everyone talks about, while nothing so far really suggests that. :#
  • Options
    kekvinkekvin Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    I thought it was said that existing fed would have access to the tos ships?
  • Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    jaturnley wrote: »
    talonxv wrote: »
    talonxv wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure female Captains were a thing during the TOS area.

And yes, I know the whole thing about Rodenberry saying "no, they'd blow their ship" and stuff but TRIBBLE that, the theory that Janice Lester was simply insane is the best.

Anaxar They were a thing, just slightly retconned. Granted this isn't offically canon but there is also NX-02.

Who was the captain. Oh wait this was the captain:

Captain Hernandez USS Columbia So anyone who says, no female captains, um the show Enterprise says "TRIBBLE THAT!" And that happened almost 100 years before TOS. Just because we never saw it on screen never meant there wasn't any.

Like I said, artifact of '60s sexism (and Paramount not wanting Roddenberry to cast his girlfriend, regardless of Majel Barrett's very real acting chops). People forget how big a step it was to have a black female commissioned officer serving on the bridge of a combatant ship, and even Uhura pretty much only got to answer the phone. The US Navy didn't even allow female surface warfare officers until the '90s, by which point TNG had already had a female security chief (albeit badly wasted as a character). One of my mother's NROTC classmates even made admiral as an SWO.

What a wonderful thing we're not constrained by the sixties anymore.

True and saw something else when I re-read the original announcement. 3rd paragraph first sentence, there's going to be a story arc for each faction.

That's not what it says.
    In addition to the ability to create a brand new Star Trek: The Original Series Starfleet captain, we will be introducing a new episode arc for players of every faction, ...

Note that first part - you can only create a new TOS Stafleet character. Also the arc is for "every faction", not "each faction", which means it's more likely to be a single new 2410 FE arc, not one for each faction. We won't know for sure until they announce it, but don't get ahead of yourself.

Right. It's most likely equivalent to a featured episode series. Half a dozen episodes that all factions can play.

This 100%.

If by "full set of factional story arcs" you mean 8 new episodes, some new paint on a couple of old ones and a new tutorial that existing characters couldn't play.
    chiefbrex wrote: »

This 100%.

Come back and say that after you've played Starfleet Command. Seriously, try it. GOG has it dirt cheap and it runs great on Windows 10.

Every Star Trek game besides STO where multiple factions are playable has managed to make each side not only balanced in equipment and content, but mechanically and stylistically distinct. Cryptic is actively trying to do the opposite.

Horse manure. Birth of the Federation and Bridge Commander are both heavily slanted towards Federation in number of available ships, the Armada games were somewhat tipped towards Federation in ships, as well. Starfleet Command 3 also gave Federation players more options than anyone for ships. The first 2 Starfleet Command games were closer, at least, but that was all done before launch, and with a wealth of material to start with from Star Fleet Battles to draw from.

Funny thing about Starfleet Command II, even with the relative balance of ships for the 8 factions that it had, you'd still get half of the players in any campaign playing Federation unless you put on faction caps for your campaign.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    "The classic The Original Series Uniforms worn and torn from battle. This costume unlocks for all TOS and Federation characters on an account."

"TOS and Federation." Separate things. Separate factions.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1

Then you need to go back and READ
    kekvin wrote: »
    I thought it was said that existing fed would have access to the tos ships?
    They WILL!! See how cool it is to be able to read @nadiezja?
    One of the few things they blatantly state is that TOS and existing Federation characters will have access to the new ships!
    Further theres a much linked tweet where a developer confirms that TOS skins can be used on the T6 versions of those ships.
    How ecstatic would some folks be if one whole season of Trek-2017, was from the viewpoint of the Klingons or Romulans.

IF, the "Anthology" rumor pans out.
    B)
    Dood... I'd actually buy into CBS All Access at that point... nerdy little joygasms every episode
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Gecko has said in his newest interview that it is kinda-sorta a new faction but so much more.
    B)
    Post edited by daveyny on
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    Gecko has said in his newest interview that is it kinda-sorta a new faction but so much more.
    B)

Well, we have a few different implementations of factions right now, so that could mean a lot of things. I hope they don't wait to long to share some actual information instead of "Awesome, buy, buy, buy". :p
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    He said They plan on putting out at least Two Blogs a week between now and the release date.
    B)
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Yet here we are SIX YEARS LATER and we're all still talking about it in the forums, and many of us are still playing the game.

And They are still adding to the game and refining it's systems.

I don't doubt the monthly retention is as bad as you are trying to make it out to be.

Sure, lots of folks have gone, but everyday we see posts of folks coming back over and over again.

It ain't perfect, but it's the only Trek MMO game out there, so even if people only come back once in awhile to try out the newest things, it's still apparently enough to keep the game going and growing.
    B)
  • Options
    It seems to me that Cryptic is a bit ... trapped (?) perhaps in the desire or need to show us everywhere where Star Trek has already been. They have been shy on introducing really new species or (NPC) factions. Though they do have fleshed out things a bit, especially in the starship design department.

But a completely original storyline independent of existing antagonists for example seems not on the table. Maybe that's only logical, considering they are using an established franchise. But of course it clashes with ideals of "exploration", for example.
    Well, they've done that in small doses. they even made FE series that focused on brand-new (friendly) races.... I'm sure you remember how that turned out....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    @qjunior: Agreed. The information suggests this isn't so much a mini-faction as it is an alternate leveling story for Feds.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    I always think "Legends of Tomorrow" for some stupid reason.
    B)

Oh your reason is far from stupid my friend, that parallel alone is my sole reason for being excited for this expansion. (not that I wouldn't play it anyway of course) That and the Sagittarius class has the EXACT same saucer as the Enterprise-J.
  • Options
    themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    1PM2rEF.gif​​
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    Gecko has said in his newest interview that is it kinda-sorta a new faction but so much more.
    B)

Geko also said that 'lil, now infamous, thingy about 'Delta Rising'... :tongue::lol:
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    You know, that could be a perfectly legit reason for the Connie to remain T1 and while older Daedalus is T2... the Daedalus we gain access to has been quietly improved with "futuretech" in order to help you deal with temporal adversaries that have done the same.

Yeah, outfitting the TOS (and earlier) era ships with futuretech is sort of like outfitting a pre-Dreadnought armored cruiser (i.e. late-19th century ship) with 21st century guided missiles, radar, and fire control computers, and a gas turbine engine to replace its steam piston engine.

In STO, this sort of thing would justify why we can mount the same gear on our 23rd century ships as we do on our 25th century ships.

Speaking as the son of a US Navy shipbuilding officer (the technical term is engineering duty officer), do you have any idea at all how much retrofitting of the hull, structure, and systems this would require? You'd be practically building a new ship, and in fact doing that would be cheaper.

While I'm not positive...

I believe that was being just a bit facetious with that post.
    B)

Possibly, it's just I've seen so many posters that seriously think that kind of retrofitting is easy to do. Realistically it's as if somebody had suggested you could bring an A-6 Intruder (Vietnam-era ground attack jet, one of the first production planes to use computerized fire control) up to the level of an F-35 Lightning by throwing in a new engine and computer. You'd sooner make the whole damn plane fly to pieces.
    I think an actual comparison between upgrading 19th and 20th century ships, to 23rd and 24th century starship upgrades would be like comparing an apple to a banana.

And at this point we don't even know if the TOS Ships coming, are actual 23rd century starships or something dressed-up to look like them.
    (like the NX "replica" we already have in the game)

B)

See, that's more what I was thinking. The purpose behind retrofitting an era-appropriate ship wouldn't be to make it modern ship, and certainly not because it's easier... it would be to blend in within that era. I made a bit of a wall-o-text post about the possibilities of introducing subtle changes, even apparently positive ones, to alter subsequent events. By equipping their assets to combat temporal threats, <insert timecop here> could very well destroy his own timepline... maybe giving passing Romulan spy a sensor scan of technology that shouldn't have been developed yet... allowing them to use that as inspiration to start developing something else... that then supplants the futuretech they had scanned in the first place... and problems arise. It wouldn't even need to be an outsider; some random member of the crew *gestures to Scotty* might see a stray bit of technology and get inspired, using their genius to create some new technology far superior to what should be present any time in the next several centuries...

Just imagine if someone in the late 20th heard "Crumpled Dance" and actually thought of waveform analysis rather than Elaine from Seinfeld. The implications could be devastating.

By updating select portions of an era-appropriate ship, cursory scans would reveal the expected hull materials and quantum signatures, while the upgraded components themselves could be dampened/disguised/shielded/whatnot. It's a lot easier hiding something out of place within something that looks and acts like it belongs there. It's a pretty common strategy because it's successful, even when it requires more effort.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    narsussnarsuss Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    yreodred wrote: »
    narsuss wrote: »
    i agree with Kodachikuno as long as i been playing this game i'm surprised they haven't renamed it "Star Trek-Federation online"
    Actually it is...
    Guess whose "trek" to the stars "Star Trek" is about?

I'm not trying to accost you, but i think the goal of having two equal factions for STO was a bad decision from the start. The ppl in charge should have known that it would be too much work for too little $$$ (amongst MANY other problems that come with it).

Yea your probably right but now that they did do it, and i'm sure there is enuff KDF fans as there are fed fans , they should do some kind of work on it. when i first saw TOS when i was 9 for the first time the one ship that instantly grab my hart was the D-7. and after that i was always a klingon fan. i only put up with the feds when the game first came out cause i had to get to lvl 20 or 10 ( i can't remember) just to open kdf. and if they give this much support to the kdf and the romulans they should just forget about ever giving us kardassians.

And as for your spoiler. this is an MMO not an rpg. they offered us more than one side they should give them all the same love.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Yet here we are SIX YEARS LATER and we're all still talking about it in the forums, and many of us are still playing the game.

And They are still adding to the game and refining it's systems.

I don't doubt the monthly retention is as bad as you are trying to make it out to be.
    Actually there have been comments by Cryptic (I believe Geko specifically) that suggest that there is at laest a sizeable group of long-term players. So I'll doubt even that claim.

Retention of newly gained players is always a topic for MMOs, of course. But as I understand it, STO has proven to be a bit different than other MMOs Cryptic or Perfect World has or had in regards to the player composition.
    I think the "Aside from nostalgia for Star Trek" is already the wrong start. This game is fueled primarily by it. it's like saying: "Aside from people that need to go from A to B, no one want to buy a car, thus cars are technology without a future."

One favorite topic of the forum players is of course "DOOM". This game is dying. It has been dying since it was released. But it seems to be the overly dramatic theatre death, where the dying speaks hour long monologues before he finally succumbs to death. Or maybe it's actually rather "dying" like we all are dying the moment we are conceived.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    vorwoda wrote: »
    Sadly, the sash is only available for FED Klingons as an old exclusive, (and worn on the right shoulder, so as not to cover the FED combadge, while TOS Klingons wore it on the left shoulder). Might the KDF hope for the TOS sash at least with this expansion? Is that too much to ask?

I actually have that baldric it was worf's season one TNG baldric and it isnt fed exclusive, one of my KDF klingons has it too. but if you look at the early rank KDF baldrics theres a set that is very TOS in its design (i think its the 3 Lt. Cmdr baldrics, but dont quote me on that.)

Interesting! Thanks for the correction; that's good to know! As for the low-level in-game baldrics, I knew about that - that's what my TOS Klingon wears as the "closest match" available.

And IIRC, Worf's season one TNG baldric was actually Kor's (or Kang's) TOS baldric, worn on the other side. They replaced it for Michael Dorn in season two with the metal one, due to wear and tear.