test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Many Moons have passed.. How do you like the Forum now..?

Comments

• captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    Don't like them (even with the fixes from asterelle and nrglg)
    One thing I hate about this new forum, is how it unloads, then reloads a page whenever you change page at all.
    i.e. it goes a little like this
    Me - clicky on linky!
    Forum - Loads the complete page more or less instantly....UNLOADS and page goes blank, staying blank for several seconds...then reloads the page again, from scratch.

In all, it makes this forum a far more frustrating experience for me than any other forum I have ever used.
    so why did you stop using the enhancement? it fixed that problem.

Where have I ever said that I started using that? I never have.
    EDIT to add...

Another thing that bugs me is the way it doesn't scale horizontally very well any more. Other pages (even the old forum) would scale properly and add a scroll bar at the bottom whenever I moved the window to the side to make it take half the screen (often to keep an eye on something else while I'm reading the forum).
    This new one doesn't scale well nor does it add a scroll bar at the bottom to scroll horizontally, something which would make this forum a wee bit more tolerable for sure.
    thats the first time i have ever seen somebody that likes horizontal scrollbars. what resolution is your monitor running at?
    ​​[/quote]

1920x1080.
    You do understand what I do with windows when I'm multitasking, yes? i.e. Using the "windows snap" feature so that a window takes up 1/2 of the screen, leaving the other half clear to do the same with another window. A real godsend when reading a readme while installing something, or comparing two sets of lists etc.

Without the horizontal scroll bar, there is no way to scroll horizontally without using the arrow keys on the keyboard. It's (afaik) impossible to scroll smoothly that way. It just means another click on the window I have the forum up in, then using arrow keys to scroll. With the old forum, I could just click and drag using the scroll bar to wherever I wanted, smoothly. It isn't a huge deal, but it's kinda annoying.
    Truthfully, I don't know how anyone could have any strong feelings towards them, other than missing them when they aren't there.

I need a beer.

• tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    Like them (with the fixes from asterelle and nrglg)
    so why did you stop using the enhancement? it fixed that problem.
    Where have I ever said that I started using that? I never have.
    your poll choice suggests that you used the enhancement, yet still didnt like the board.
    'Don't like them (even with the fixes from asterelle and nrglg)'

1920x1080.
    You do understand what I do with windows when I'm multitasking, yes? i.e. Using the "windows snap" feature so that a window takes up 1/2 of the screen, leaving the other half clear to do the same with another window. A real godsend when reading a readme while installing something, or comparing two sets of lists etc.

Without the horizontal scroll bar, there is no way to scroll horizontally without using the arrow keys on the keyboard. It's (afaik) impossible to scroll smoothly that way. It just means another click on the window I have the forum up in, then using arrow keys to scroll. With the old forum, I could just click and drag using the scroll bar to wherever I wanted, smoothly. It isn't a huge deal, but it's kinda annoying.
    Truthfully, I don't know how anyone could have any strong feelings towards them, other than missing them when they aren't there.
    there is a horizontal scrollbar (in chrome at least) when the window is narrowed if youre using the enhancement.​​
  • stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    belidos wrote: »
    stobg2015 wrote: »
    phalanx01 wrote: »
    It's strange, I've always heard good things about the Vanilla forum software, I can only guess that the serveradmins barely know what they're doing with it. I'd love to see the old forum software come back, at least it always worked without any issues (that I know of)

Lol. The 'serveradmins' are from the same company that developed Vanilla ... this is a Vanilla-hosted site.

It's the same company, but a completely different team and they're pretty much useless, either that or they're lazy and just don't care, I've used them before a few times, never again.

I've heard some complaints along those lines myself. It seems strange given that I've also heard that the software itself is pretty good.
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
  • kittyflofykittyflofy Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    Don't like them (as they are)
    The forums are still terrible, but people are just get used to em. Now that people is used to it the forums will never change...
  • stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    kittyflofy wrote: »
    The forums are still terrible, but people are just get used to em. Now that people is used to it the forums will never change...

I have a strong hunch that Trendy is nowhere near used to it and we're going to see whatever changes she can make happen. But it's going to take some time and she may not get everything she wants, let alone whatever we want. I'm out of the loop though, so I don't know how much headway she's been able to make or what the high muckety-mucks have decided to do. Keep asking for improvements. Or demanding them, if you're inclined that way :)

I'm not terribly in hate of the new forums, but I don't particularly like everything about them either and there are a bunch of annoyances I may never get used to if they don't get changed out of existence. I don't like the limited preference options. I don't like the navigation limitations. I want to be able to hide threads and posts I don't want to see, not just categories. We still lack an ignore function. And I wish the notification options were more granular, like per-thread notifications, and easy to turn on and off for individual threads.

My alternative is to refuse to use the new forums at all, but that seems to be a self-defeating tactic to me. So we use what we've got. The only limitation I've imposed on it is refusing to log in with my game account.
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
  • protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    I'm not terribly in hate of the new forums, but I don't particularly like everything about them either and there are a bunch of annoyances I may never get used to if they don't get changed out of existence.

On the other hand, I had that view when the first poll was asked, and refused to vote in the poll, but I now hate them and have voted as such in the poll. Instead of improving, they have gotten worse, especially with the forced redirect into frames; previously functional features have now been broken, and already-extant issues have not been fixed.
  • highlord83highlord83 Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Actually, a "moon" speaks of a full Lunar Cycle. "Many moons" equates to "many months," of which not even one has passed since the migration.

And it's horrible. Always will be, too. All the built up discussions, all the pointers, knowledge, lore, stories and information is now completely scattered and inaccessible. Searching for an STO topic on google takers one to the old forums, which loads of "Hey! We've moved and ain't it cool!!!111oneoneononeeeon!" page. It was a horrible idea that was horribly implemented, and even more horribly supported. Whomever thought it up, let alone the one that rubber-stamped it, should be publicly shamed and forced back into janitorial duties.

Vanilla was, is, and always will be one of the most garbage systems for a message board. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Stardestroyer.net is better than this, and not only is it ancient and decrepit, it's bare bones, still works, and is effectively abandoned by it's owner.
    "So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again."
    -Dedication plaque of the Federation Starship U.S.S. Merkava
  • storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,262 Arc User
    Use the vanilla enhancement.....its SOOOOOO AWESOME normal-42.gif​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    tumblr_m09k9aNJtW1rqgvp5o1_500.gif

I dislike them enough that I can't be bothered to even look for the fixes from asterelle and nrglg. Having to re-authenticate myself with a PIN (or use the Arc browser) every single time I log in is a pain in the aft. I miss the old forums...

Come to Vanilla, we have (and require enabling) cookies!
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    Seriously they should have taken the time and resources used moving the forums to this god awful Vanilla thing and fixed the bugs inthe game instead!
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    ssbn655 wrote: »
    Seriously they should have taken the time and resources used moving the forums to this god awful Vanilla thing and fixed the bugs inthe game instead!

Well time isn't really an issue there, since the people working on the game are not the same people working on the website... That'd be like asking your mechanic to give you a haircut. ​​
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • vonrovonro Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    [quote= It's obvious you didn't use enhancement extension, so why did you select option 4? Because several of your complaints have been covered.
    ​​[/quote]

You assume that I never installed or muddled with the extensions and mods. From your small window and corner of the planet you can't tell how many machines I use to access the forums. Nor can you say which machines have the new updates and which ones do not. Instead of assuming I have never used them, just take the feedback & the vote for what they are. Disapproval, appropriately categorized.

To clarify; I use 4 different machines in 2 different locations/buildings -1 machine can NOT install the extensions & mods. That box is not permitted to make such changes. Don't ask why, it's just the way things are done at my place of work. I have 2 machines with the updates and I still do not like the forums. Hence the choice selected for my vote. The last machine I run without the extensions & updates because, quite frankly, I see no point to it.
    I don't have to carry a battery around to turn on a light in my house. I pay my utility bill and flip the switch. I should not have to install a battery to use that daggum switch. Why the heck should I need new community extensions to use a forum? Sure, I could do so. But I should NOT have to rely on the community to fix something that should be a simple 'out-of-the-box' sort of deal.

Hope that all makes sense. If not, I guess it's back to kindergarten for everyone. heh
    vonro wrote: »
    Why the heck should I need new community extensions to use a forum?

You don't need the extensions to use the forum, you need them to make them much better than they are without the extensions. :P

For what it's worth, I've actually noticed that most of the Community Mods and even a few game Devs are using the enhancement extension. ​​
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    You assume that I never installed or muddled with the extensions and mods. From your small window and corner of the planet you can't tell how many machines I use to access the forums. Nor can you say which machines have the new updates and which ones do not. Instead of assuming I have never used them, just take the feedback & the vote for what they are. Disapproval, appropriately categorized.

To clarify; I use 4 different machines in 2 different locations/buildings -1 machine can NOT install the extensions & mods. That box is not permitted to make such changes. Don't ask why, it's just the way things are done at my place of work. I have 2 machines with the updates and I still do not like the forums. Hence the choice selected for my vote. The last machine I run without the extensions & updates because, quite frankly, I see no point to it.
    I don't have to carry a battery around to turn on a light in my house. I pay my utility bill and flip the switch. I should not have to install a battery to use that daggum switch. Why the heck should I need new community extensions to use a forum? Sure, I could do so. But I should NOT have to rely on the community to fix something that should be a simple 'out-of-the-box' sort of deal.

Hope that all makes sense. If not, I guess it's back to kindergarten for everyone. heh
    of course ;)
    the only thing this poll has demonstrated is that huge proportion of people cant even read the names on a ballot before casting their vote.
    what is the world coming to?​​
  • smeeinn1tsmeeinn1t Member Posts: 618 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    ....7H0tNfX.png....

@vonro Just wondering if you found the versions with enhancements more or less user friendly than the basic non enhanced version?​​
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long --->Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • nrglgnrglg Member Posts: 447 Arc User

I would classify you as an abnormal/outlier. Take a moment to read other posts and it becomes obvious why I assumed what you were doing. Most people do not have that many machines. I personally have 5 computers at my house plus various smaller other devices, but most don't. Also, most people don't even bother to try the enhancement and then vote number 4 and complain about the issues it covers. Take a second to look on page 7 and you will see someone that did that very thing on that page (also read back and you'll see it done a few other times). I saw a pattern and you fit with the general pattern. You've made it clear now that you are not in that pattern, but I hope you'll see what I did. I reasonably came to that conclusion based on past posters.

If only life was that perfect, huh? However, like I wrote in my signature...
    If you complain, are given a suggestion on how to alleviate problems, and you choose to do nothing and complain more; then you have no one to blame for the problems other than yourself. The world is not and will never be tailored for you. Sometimes you need to make the step to make it tailor to you.

That is my stance on this and it will not change.​​

GAME FORUMS (Direct Link & Arc Frame)
    Hub | Arc | PWI | FW | NW | STO | SO | BLR | JD | BOI | CO | WOI
    Hub | Arc | PWI | FW | NW | STO | SO | BLR | JD | BOI | CO | WOI
    Forum Enhancements and Visual Improvements
    (Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey and/or Stylish required)
    PWI vBulletin Forum Data Dumps and Backups
  • qziqzaqziqza Member Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    edited July 2015

of course ;)
    the only thing this poll has demonstrated is that huge proportion of people cant even read the names on a ballot before casting their vote.
    what is the world coming to?
    hG7UctY.png
    i have also arrived at that same conclusion, although to be fair, we are all probably guilty of that on occasion.

​​
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • rickdankorickdanko Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    It stinks!
    They're not really gone, as long as we remember them
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.
  • puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    i hate arc, i dont like using arc, or opening it. that is strike one..

secondly, the only thing i like about these forums is the animated signatures.

thirdly, it is very very very user unfriendly..

i can see why cryptic jumped all over them. they seem to like implementing things they "know" the players will hate..
  • kittyflofykittyflofy Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    puttenham wrote: »
    i hate arc, i dont like using arc, or opening it. that is strike one..

secondly, the only thing i like about these forums is the animated signatures.

thirdly, it is very very very user unfriendly..

i can see why cryptic jumped all over them. they seem to like implementing things they "know" the players will hate..

If they save $, it doesnt matter what they think about the players... they will do it.
  • SeschatSeschat Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    nrglg wrote: »
    Seschat wrote: »
    I'll support vonro here. Several of the machines I view the forum on I do not have the permissions to install modifications to the web browser, simple as that.

That's not the issue. vonro chose option 4 when they should have chosen option 3 if they don't have the ability to install it. Also, what machines are you visiting the forums on? Not a personal one I guess which is confusing to me if you're trying to play an MMO. I'm guessing it's awkward circumstances which I'm not going to pry in to.

That would be machines at work. I read the forums while on breaks there, and generally play the game from home. At home, I have the extension installed, and I'll admit it works

One positive with this setup is that I'll know if they manage to create a proper forum environment, and then can delete the extra bits from Firefox..​​
    --
    I'm ME again, having been revanantmorituri during the era between forumpocalypses.
    BatRon 11 ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ Millennium Triumphant ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ Emerald Armada
    Champions Online closed Beta tester. Star Trek Online closed Beta tester.
  • belidosbelidos Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    belidos wrote: »
    phalanx01 wrote: »
    It's strange, I've always heard good things about the Vanilla forum software, I can only guess that the serveradmins barely know what they're doing with it. I'd love to see the old forum software come back, at least it always worked without any issues (that I know of)

Lol. The 'serveradmins' are from the same company that developed Vanilla ... this is a Vanilla-hosted site.

It's the same company, but a completely different team and they're pretty much useless, either that or they're lazy and just don't care, I've used them before a few times, never again.

I've heard some complaints along those lines myself. It seems strange given that I've also heard that the software itself is pretty good.

Ye,s Vanilla forum software is good, not the best but it is pretty good, I use it myself on quite a few projects where I need to add a basic forum. The issue I have and will always have is that they have chosen to allow vanillaforums to host the forum for them, which is one of the worst things they could possibly have done, for reasons ranging from lack of ease of settings, to poor servers, to poor customer service and all the way up to security issues.
  • lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    The old STO forum was better.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • xbalankexbalanke Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    Thank you for posting the link to the forum enhance script!!!

I absolutely hate the new forums.. no overview, far too many sub-forums; no page selectors at the bottom of a page in a thread (seriously, how can they miss this?!); no breadcrumbs at the bottom of the thread page (again, how can a web designer miss this?!);no dev tracker;

I rarely post, but I did regularly read threads on the newest toys and the dev tracker, but the vanilla forums made even that intolerable. I voted "Don't like them (as they are)" since I only just discovered the script, but it doesn't actually touch the horrible structure and UI, so I doubt it'll grow to like the forum even with the fixes.. tolerate them better, hopefully..
    (Seriously though, the fact you need user scripts to make a website somewhat usable should be hint enough about the design of the UI that there are some major problems...)

Oh and I missed one of the most important annoyances, something no user script can solve.. often pages are horribly slow to load.. it loads the headers and footers quickly, but the actual content seems to be embedded in the page and loaded separately, but that part loads way slower then the previous boards would load..
    This is harder to complain about because it doesn't happen not all the time..the in-game lag applied to the forum experience now too I guess..

I pretty much search my info on reddit nowadays instead.. much better user experience...
    The place isn't littered with broken links either...​​
    edited July 2015
    xbalanke wrote: »
    Oh and I missed one of the most important annoyances, something no user script can solve.. often pages are horribly slow to load.. it loads the headers and footers quickly, but the actual content seems to be embedded in the page and loaded separately, but that part loads way slower then the previous boards would load..

Actually, the enhancement does improve this part. Browse the forums from http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/ instead of via the arcgames url. They setup a mandatory redirect which always forced you back to the embedded forum which, as you've stated, is incredibly slow and unresponsive. The enhancement blocks the auto redirect allowing us to once again use the non embedded forum which loads faster and without all the extra useless headers.
    ​​
    edited July 2015

Actually, the enhancement does improve this part. Browse the forums from http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/ instead of via the arcgames url. They setup a mandatory redirect which always forced you back to the embedded forum which, as you've stated, is incredibly slow and unresponsive. The enhancement blocks the auto redirect allowing us to once again use the non embedded forum which loads faster and without all the extra useless headers.
    that's great news!
    I just assumed I was having a lucky moment of less lag at the time of posting my reply.. didn't realize even that was thanks to the script!

That said.. it makes it even more damning to whoever designed the default redirect though.. can't even have a decent load times without user scripts anymore.. :(

Edit: any way to hide that permanent "Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies" banner..? The thing is damn ugly and it seems I can't dismiss it like the banner about the traits.. The new forums have been here for a few weeks now.. surely everyone who felt like clicking on it has done so already, just wanna get rid of that ugly thing taking up at least 40px of screen real estate.. ​​

that's great news!
    I just assumed I was having a lucky moment of less lag at the time of posting my reply.. didn't realize even that was thanks to the script!

That said.. it makes it even more damning to whoever designed the default redirect though.. can't even have a decent load times without user scripts anymore.. :(

Edit: any way to hide that permanent "Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies" banner..? The thing is damn ugly and it seems I can't dismiss it like the banner about the traits.. The new forums have been here for a few weeks now.. surely everyone who felt like clicking on it has done so already, just wanna get rid of that ugly thing taking up at least 40px of screen real estate..

Yeah the forced embedding was a big mistake on their part I think.

For the message about the rules, it is a bit odd that you can't dismiss it like the other news items. If you really want to hide it though, you can use Stylish and add ".DismissMessage.CasualMessage { display:none; }" without the "" and make sure it's set to run on the arcgames.com url and the perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/ url.
    ​​
    For the message about the rules, it is a bit odd that you can't dismiss it like the other news items. If you really want to hide it though, you can use Stylish and add ".DismissMessage.CasualMessage { display:none; }" without the "" and make sure it's set to run on the arcgames.com url and the perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/ url. [/color]
    Thanks for the pointer!
    Rather than installing another extension in Chrome (trying to keep the number as low as possible), I did it by adding a small self made userscript in Tampermonkey which I already need for the forums enhancement script anyways. Admitted, it's JS instead of CSS, but it saves me an extension (for now at least).. :)

The following snippet in the DOM content load event seems to have done it..
    $( ".DismissMessage.CasualMessage" ).css( "display", "none" );

so pretty much what you said, only in JS form.​​
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,782 Arc User
    Many? Really? Since when is 2 and one half many? ;)
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
    For the message about the rules, it is a bit odd that you can't dismiss it like the other news items. If you really want to hide it though, you can use Stylish and add ".DismissMessage.CasualMessage { display:none; }" without the "" and make sure it's set to run on the arcgames.com url and the perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/ url. [/color]
    Thanks for the pointer!
    Rather than installing another extension in Chrome (trying to keep the number as low as possible), I did it by adding a small self made userscript in Tampermonkey which I already need for the forums enhancement script anyways. Admitted, it's JS instead of CSS, but it saves me an extension (for now at least).. :)

The following snippet in the DOM content load event seems to have done it..
    $( ".DismissMessage.CasualMessage" ).css( "display", "none" );

so pretty much what you said, only in JS form.

Ah yeah that works too haha. I forget that not everybody likes having a dozen+ extensions installed. :)
    ​​