test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

fatal error : direct 3D (Hung, Invalidcall, device removed, etc)

Comments

• crazychris9524crazychris9524 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    i can no longer load the game it crashes aT THE CRPTIC PAGE. i use to play before the new romulus addition now im back from over seas and i cant fcking play anymore u srry sons of TRIBBLE.
    i leave to protect ur fckin asses and now i cant enjoy ur god damn game? fck u u pansy ****s. next time i hope the marines send me to off ur asses. fckin punk TRIBBLE mother ****ers . go to hell and bring back my game ffs.
  • grnlbrtnfrntgrnlbrtnfrnt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    ironmanajf wrote: »
    I'm having the same issue. The game keeps crashing at the "Cryptic" loading screen. Nothing is working for me.

I am having similar issues the past couple of days, but I don't have the cards most people in this thread are referring. Im Nvidia not ATI.

Sometimes I get past the loading screen screen and get as far as the character sceen but then the second I click a character it crashes
    [SIGPIC]PWE IS NOT A REPUTABLE COMPANY[/SIGPIC]
  • alistar00alistar00 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This is not a video card problem, as stated earlier there are tricks to get around this problem, one thing is just using star trek icon and bypassing cryptic screen, then use windowed mode in options and finally, when youre in game change the direct x settings from auto to direct x 9, although the graphical experience is greatly diminished ... iwas able to set it for 11 and it works.
    Now that being said..
    Im not a big fan of development teams who hide behind the scenes and ignore something that obviously was caused by them. Step up and dont let your hardcore customer base defend you, its cowardly. plain and simple - that patch caused this problem, i have a tight rein on my computer patches, am familier with direct x components...etc...make no mistake that patch caused this issue.
    I am new here, just started my account 2-3 weeks ago, so im a noob. There are a lot of issues i have seen, the worst being when you leave a mission legally ie when its done and clearly you have the option to leave the mission and then when you do leave it then penalizes you for 2 hours...this is ridiculous, it also happened to my brother and the gm basically told him "too bad" ... pretty brutal bug imho. Also there's disconnects, lag etc quite often. I'm willing to overlook most of this stuff because the game seems to be pretty good. Anyway just my 2 cents.
  • majorbackstabbinmajorbackstabbin Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This is effing stupid. I have tried everything mentioned. I even uninstalled STO and ARC. Was able to get into game once and the graphics were like I was back in the 90's. Now I can't get in again. THIS STARTED AFTER the latest update. THIS IS NOT A HARDWARE ISSUE like some of the devs are trying to suggest. This was caused by YOU devs.
  • kd2bsykd2bsy Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I haven't read every reply here, so maybe someone already covered it. At the very least, I know someone covered getting STO to start by running it directly, which works for me every time now, whereas launching conventionally always produced a crash when the Cryptic loading screen reached the end of its progress bar.

Basically, I'd imagine there is some weird conflict between the Arc Overlay and the STO client operating simultaneously. I realize "weird conflict" isn't exactly programming terminology, but it's the best I've got. :)
  • spectre458spectre458 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I've been playing STO for a month now. I also play PWI, another Arc game. I was playing STO and went to open arc. It had to update but never would update. I restarted my computer, still wouldn't update. So I figure I would just reinstall Arc. Boy was I wrong. That's when I started getting the same Direct3D error. From that point I haven't been able to play STO. I reinstalled it, refreshed my Window and reinstalled it still wont load. I updated my video card software. Nothing has helped. I just fully reinstalled windows and downloaded ARC and STO, still wont work. I was about to spend money in the game to buy a few ships. Damn glad I didn't waste the money.

Dell 8700
    i7 4790
    16 gb ram
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 745

Pc is just over a month old
  • whilelmina9whilelmina9 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Originally Posted by tickletops View Post
    Try going to /C/programmefiles/perfectworld/startrekonline

click directly on launcher (bypass arc)
    in launcher (before login/during patch check) lick on options (upper right window)
    choose safe mode & windowed
    once in game at character selection, go to graphics options and choose Direct X version 9 (the oldest available)
    Relaunch game normally

It is a direct X problem related to direct X 11 which many pcs cannot run..

it worked for me too !

thanks a lot ! :)
  • joseph#2003 joseph Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Same for me, this is day three and Cryptic has done nothing to address it thus far. It is doubtful this will be corrected by patch day. I am not sure what is so difficult about undoing a patch. It is very, very frustrating. I share your pain.

Jus an FYI, tried doing the safe mode. Nothing, same result. So it does seem to work for a few, just not all.
  • firedeval465firedeval465 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I have a solution to this problem for nVidia users! I just came across this after having 3 days of down time in STO. This has to do with the Cuda Cores on the Geforce Control Panel. Disabling these cuda cores fixed the problem for me. I had three different erroes. D3D11 Device Removed. D3D11 Creating Vertex Buffer. And D3D11 Error creating 1x1x1 mips .

nVidia Control Panel > 3D Settings > Manage 3D Settings > CUDA GPU's set to NONE

I'm not sure why this would cause a problem, but it did fix it for me. I just hope that this fixes it for more people. SPREAD THE WORD IF IT WORKS FOR YOU!!!! I have seen many posts about this problem. Get the fix around.

By the way, I AM NOT A DEV. Just someone who wants to see this game function correctly from now on
  • salacnar070890salacnar070890 Member Posts: 425 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015
    I have a solution to this problem for nVidia users! I just came across this after having 3 days of down time in STO. This has to do with the Cuda Cores on the Geforce Control Panel. Disabling these cuda cores fixed the problem for me. I had three different erroes. D3D11 Device Removed. D3D11 Creating Vertex Buffer. And D3D11 Error creating 1x1x1 mips .

nVidia Control Panel > 3D Settings > Manage 3D Settings > CUDA GPU's set to NONE

I'm not sure why this would cause a problem, but it did fix it for me. I just hope that this fixes it for more people. SPREAD THE WORD IF IT WORKS FOR YOU!!!! I have seen many posts about this problem. Get the fix around.

By the way, I AM NOT A DEV. Just someone who wants to see this game function correctly from now on

Dude this fix works. A friend of mine had the same error and i help him (via Teamviewer) and turn off the CUDA's Cores
    Salacnar
    =/\=Priority One Armada=/\=
    32 | Introvert | ADD (W/O Hyperactivity) | He/Him | Hetro-Demisexual | 6’9” ft-in tall | Avatar by: foodcu_be | Gunpla | STO | Yu-Gi-Oh!
  • ussackermanussackerman Member Posts: 275 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015

OK, Macbook Pro Retina (Late-2012) here with an NVIDIA GT 650M

Running MacOS client on Yosemite 10.3, works fine.

Running on BootCamped Windows 10 version 10049 with NVIDIA Driver 350.12 (latest), failed.
    - Symptoms same as some in this thread, DirectX crash after full bar of Cryptic load screen.
    - Solution quoted above fixed issue completely. Thank you @firedeval.

Issue is obviously software related, whether that is a driver or STO issue.
  • firedeval465firedeval465 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Dude this fix works. A friend of mine had the same error and i help him (via Teamviewer) and turn off the CUDA's Cores

OK, Macbook Pro Retina (Late-2012) here with an NVIDIA GT 650M

Running MacOS client on Yosemite 10.3, works fine.

Running on BootCamped Windows 10 version 10049 with NVIDIA Driver 350.12 (latest), failed.
    - Symptoms same as some in this thread, DirectX crash after full bar of Cryptic load screen.
    - Solution quoted above fixed issue completely. Thank you @firedeval.

Issue is obviously software related, whether that is a driver or STO issue.

I'm glad to see this fix working for some people! We need to get it around as much as possible!!! I;m so glad my 3 days out of 5 vacation didn't go to total waste. I know this fix hasn't worked for some people, so I am currently working on other solutions as well.

The problem is not a driver issue. I have already been down and proven that theory false. This is in fact an STO error. I have tried ruling out everything. It has to deal with STO being compatibility with CUDA.
  • vaalethvaaleth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    firedeval465 Thank you for sharing the solution with us all and taking the time to figure it out. Cheers!
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Where's this "nVidia Control Panel" anyway? I don't exactly know my way around computer settings.
  • stohenrikstohenrik Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Well, disabling the cuda cores didn't work for me.

I suppose I'll go play Baldurs Gate for a few days, and see if they fix it based on the 4 crash reports that seems to have been sent so far :-/
  • shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This nonsense seems to have made a return with the latest update; specifically, this error:
    Fatal Error: Direct 3D driver returned error code (DGXI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED) while checking sync query.

Technical Details: Sync query 9 0x435880 GetData == 0x887a0005 0 NF 461

D3D11 Device removed due to DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG 0x887a0006
    Bypassing ARC and running in safe mode (mentioned earlier in this thread) allowed the game to get to the character select screen after file verification. While it opened in windowed mode, it was maximizable with so far no difficulties.
    edited April 2015
    Thanks shadowfirefly...

Safe mode running worked. I can't find any way to switch to DX9 though - no DX options at all. It runs in safe mode though, so meh...
  • gargathian23gargathian23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Never had a problem up until now I went to patch game goes to load get to the iconian loading screen game stops with a Fatal Direct3D error. What gives?
    edited April 2015
    Finally, I found it.... Who knew I had to change my "Video card"...

Two funny things:

1. It always worked until Season 10....
    2. I oddly also have to run Civ5 with Directx9 - but these are so far the only two games requiring this.
  • gpgtxgpgtx Member Posts: 1,579 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    tryed all the fixes nothing can not even get to the character selection screen sent 5 bug reports
    victoriasig_zps23c45368.jpg
  • starmanjstarmanj Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Never had a problem up until now I went to patch game goes to load get to the iconian loading screen game stops with a Fatal Direct3D error. What gives?

Getting same error problem can't play game
    edited April 2015
    hi,

since I bought a new computer, when i make STF, the game crash and I have this message:

fatal error : direct 3D returned error code
    (DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED) while checking sync query
    D3D11 device removed due to DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG 0x887a006

my computer :

Intel I3 3240 3,4 ghz
    AMD radeon HD 7700 ---> catalyst 13.9
    memory : 8ghz

windows 7 64bits

thx in advance

Getting same error after new Patch Please help and fix this I can not ply (::eek:
  • melodypaigemelodypaige Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Alright folks. I was having this issue earlier. I had just about given up when I did a little investigating. I did this earlier and it worked!

1) Start STO
    2) On the patching screen, in the top right corner, click options.
    3) Under Game, tick Safe Mode then click save.
    4) Click engage.
    Hopefully you will get to the character select screen with this much.
    5) go to options click Display
    6) change your video card to Direct3d 9 or 9ex. DON'T USE 11!!!
    7) restart and you should be good.

I am not an admin nor a programmer or anything else like that. I am just a player who fumbled onto something that worked for me. I hope it works for you too! Good luck!
  • rikwesselsrikwessels Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Alright folks. I was having this issue earlier. I had just about given up when I did a little investigating. I did this earlier and it worked!

1) Start STO
    4) Click engage.

I am not an admin nor a programmer or anything else like that. I am just a player who fumbled onto something that worked for me. I hope it works for you too! Good luck!

nope, still crashes ( nice attempt though ..) it's obvious - just by seeing how many folks are experiencing this : a "patch to patch the patch " is required :)

this isn't a drivers-issue , it's a coding issue ..you can tell by the way all types of GPU's are affected , both NVidia and AMD ( both desktop models as well as laptop models ) .It isn't the end of the world as we know it though. It's perfectly normal to see these kinds of glitches after a major update .

But it's important to have threads like ths one so devs know what's going on
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Doesn't look like there's a fix in the patch notes, but this kind of thing never is, or at least I never noticed any if it was.
  • petervenkenpetervenken Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Old school gamer and I've only ever seen this problem on this game. Change my video card....lol

Maybe I should just delete this game made by amateurs and go back to playing world of tanks which is way more stable than this game :/

Guess there are better games to spend my hard earned dollars
  • smokerevanbsmokerevanb Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2015

1) Start STO
    4) Click engage.

Well, it got me past the "Iconian War" splashscreen, so if you're having issues, try this.
  • dude16305dude16305 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm neither a programmer, but i found a solution (but i guess it's a pretty unique case):

I did a complete reinstall of Windows a few months ago without having the original support driver cd-roms, which might be the cause of my problems.

I just installed the newest NVidia drivers for my notebook GeForce 315m graphics card, although device manager didn't even see the NVidia card - so windows just installed a VGA driver without direct3D. After i installed the NVidia driver i could play season 9, but now with season 10 the device always crashes.

I couldn't get past the "Iconian War" screen since season 10 is on Holodeck yesterday and i couldn't play on Tribble since the Sectorspace walls fell there.

My solution: After looking through some forums, i was told that the original driver cd-rom is much better than just the newest NVidia driver. So i looked up the support side for my Toshiba laptop. Unfortunatelly, i (again) only got the newest NVidia driver there. Even the BIOS driver was only an update, not the primal one, you get with a new laptop bundle/ driver cd-rom. After some search, i found an INTEL graphics driver for NVidia, meaning not the graphics card driver, but the chipset driver. After installing the chipset driver, my NVidia card was recognized on device manager (On VGA direct3D was disabled, now it's shown as enabled). After that STO worked for me and i'm not sure if i should update with the newest Nvidia driver.

My conclusion: My chipset was kind of confused because it couldn't see the 315m graphics card, so windows installed a random VGA driver. When i installed the newest NVidia driver, i was looking for a 315m driver, because i knew that i had this graphics card onboard. So device manager showed me a 315m card after the install. My guess is, the chipset never really trusted my "315m" driver suggestion and didn't know how to handle it. When i installed the chipset driver, i was looking for the correct chipset driver for my laptop, not specifically for a 315m graphic card. Afterwards the chipset automatically detected a 315m. Not the chipset knows what it's dealing with and doesn't work against it anymore.

I'm a total noob and i don't know if that made any sense, but what i say is this: Don't look for the graphics card name and force your computer to accept its drivers. Try to find the original files for your pc bundle and make your pc recognice the card itself. If your pc already knows what kind of card you have, uninstall all drivers completely and see if it still knows on device manager. Then, don't install a driver for a specific graphic card, but look for kind of a chipset driver that makes your pc recognize its craphics card by itself. That worked for me.
    Thanks for letting me finish my exploration accolades!
    edited April 2015

1) Start STO
    4) Click engage.

I have tried this yet going to wait after maintenance see if this 3d Issue is fixed it has to be STO's Video code that is causeing this error
  • flesson616flesson616 Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    nice to know cryptic is here with any answers or ideas