test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

fatal error : direct 3D (Hung, Invalidcall, device removed, etc)

Comments

• executorpacoexecutorpaco Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Ok I found a solution at least for me. Not sure it will help anyone else and I'm not sure why it even worked for me, but if using Safe Mode will at least get you to character selection screen this might work for you. It occurred to me that every character I had at the time was sitting in sector space and they just completely changed sector space. So while in Safe Mode I made a new character. To my amazement everything went trough just fine. Once I got to Starfleet Academy I changed characters And suddenly I was able to play all of them. I exited the game, loaded it like normal without Safe Mode or any graphics settings changes and everything is playing fine. No ore Direct 3d crashes. My only theory is the graphics card was trying to load map files that no longer exist, so the new character loaded all the new map files for the first time. Hope this might help someone else.
  • gabedragon1gabedragon1 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Thanks for the help it actually fixed my Probs :)
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Playing in Safe Mode allows me to play, but it does not save the DirectX 3D settings, and when I log back in and don't choose "Safe Mode", it still crashes and has to go thru the "verify" deal...

Patiently waiting and hoping a fix is in progress...

CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • jymowardjymoward Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I'm not sure if any developers read these comments, but if so, here's what I found:

1. Neverwinter also does this same thing, but a fix is written into the code for startup that eliminates the issue.

2. Microsoft's developer pages has this as a known issue, and also has code to fix it on this page: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/dn458383.aspx

3. The workaround of starting in safe mode, inserting the codeline as stated previously, and changing the default video to Directx9 worked for me and most others who I know tried it.

Thanks for all your hard work. I hope we see a global fix soon.

Jimo Ward
  • skullanceskullance Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    hi,

I no longer have this problem, since i changed my graphic card; i used an ati hd 7700, now an ati hd4600. (yep an old card)

the problem can be :

- a defective graphic card
    - the alimentation not enough powerful
    - the computer itself ->a bad compatibility between components
    - the game which doesn't handle correctly the new graphics cards

if you can: (don't do it, if you need the product guarantee, as soon as your computer is opened, it is not anymore guaranteed)

- remove all the graphic drivers, with http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/display_driver_uninstaller_download.html (in safe mode), use ccleaner to clean the register.

- when you remove the drivers choose the option (changing of graphic card - or something like that-). Then open, your computer, remove the graphic card, and install it again.

- switch on your computer, and let windows to recognize the graphic card, when all is ok, install the latest drivers for your card.

if you have an older graphic card try it.

i hope that will help you

sorry that i post this on a sore old topic now, but that would suggest over 100k players have problems with their gfx Card?... yea i dont think so.

also if this happens and you cant replicate the issue through the game, maybe its the launcher since eve online had the same type of problems once.
  • unkonowunkonow Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    it must be the launcher then because for me i got verify my file before i do any think
  • blondie987blondie987 Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    it is not the launcher people its cryptic and having set up the game and the way it launches to default it to launch in directx 11 graphics setting instead of allowing the player/user to set the games graphics settings. i still am unable to launch the game or even get it to the character select screen the game either gives me the gpu stopped working error that this post talkes about or using this -d3d11Enable 0 in the command line i get a black screen with music playing. so it definatel has to do with cryptic and the way they have the game defaulted to starting in directx 11.
  • skullanceskullance Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    blondie987 wrote: »
    it is not the launcher people its cryptic and having set up the game and the way it launches to default it to launch in directx 11 graphics setting instead of allowing the player/user to set the games graphics settings. i still am unable to launch the game or even get it to the character select screen the game either gives me the gpu stopped working error that this post talkes about or using this -d3d11Enable 0 in the command line i get a black screen with music playing. so it definatel has to do with cryptic and the way they have the game defaulted to starting in directx 11.

I clicked of force verify let it run through then i altered it to dx9 engine instead. i can run the game now. so it seems that i had to verify the file and change the dx Down

and now i can play sto.. odd but worked for me.
  • blondie987blondie987 Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    and how did you alter it? i've gone into the gamepref.pref file disabled dx11 tried everything i could and still the game crashes. so what is it you did exactly in the way of altering it. i would really like to know.
    skullance wrote: »
    I clicked of force verify let it run through then i altered it to dx9 engine instead. i can run the game now. so it seems that i had to verify the file and change the dx Down

and now i can play sto.. odd but worked for me.
  • rekeebrekeeb Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    blondie987 wrote: »
    and how did you alter it? i've gone into the gamepref.pref file disabled dx11 tried everything i could and still the game crashes. so what is it you did exactly in the way of altering it. i would really like to know.

This, I would like to know where and how to change the DX11 settings, since that appears to be the main issue. Yes, I've tried pretty much any and all suggestions I could find in the various threads - uninstall and reinstall (clean install), reinstall arc (clean), launch from the Star Trek icon and not Arc, safe mode, force verify, on demand patching, windowed mode, etc. Almost 6 weeks now, I can't get past the Iconian War splashscreen.

Oh, and don't let my lifetime sub detract from my anger ...
    Fleet Battle Cruiser Presto
    T6 Tac Command Battlecruiser Roll The Bones
    Xindi Aquatic Narcine Dreadnaught Carrier Different Stages
    IVXX Senior Officer

• velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I am getting a little tired of having to attempt to log into the game 10 times and get this error:

Fatal Error: Direct3D driver returned error code
    (D3DEER_DEVICEREMOVED) while Locking sprite index buffer.

I keep submitting Error Tickets via the CrypticError: Oops! window.

I am using a Windows 7 machine and DirectX 9. I have tried 11, but I get a black screen each time I attempt to load the game. This has been happening since Delta Rising began, but never this bad. I would like to know if this is even being addressed.
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
    edited May 2015
    velqua wrote: »
    I am getting a little tired of having to attempt to log into the game 10 times and get this error:

(D3DEER_DEVICEREMOVED) while Locking sprite index buffer.

I keep submitting Error Tickets via the CrypticError: Oops! window.

I am using a Windows 7 machine and DirectX 9. I have tried 11, but I get a black screen each time I attempt to load the game. This has been happening since Delta Rising began, but never this bad. I would like to know if this is even being addressed.

I am still getting this error even with the new patch. Anyone else having trouble?
    edited May 2015
    Patch didn't fix anything for me.

EDIT: Patching again, this time I believe it's the maintenance patch. Keeping my fingers crossed.
    IVXX Senior Officer

edited May 2015
    I am still getting the error even with the patch. Not sure what else to do except try logging in multiple times until it works. :(
  • simonpgrubersimonpgruber Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I have had the same problem and it seems cryptic is not putting much effort into a fix. For now there is a work around. Sign in but don't hit engage. Go to options then select safe mode but not full screen. Now hit engage and let it load. Once loaded you can hit full screen and play just fine.

This in no way absolves cryptic from fixing the problem but at least you'll get in.
    edited May 2015
    Still crashing for me also after the patch... No change. I can play fine in safe mode, but it doesn't save my settings, so have to do it each time I load into the game...

CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • darpinkdarpink Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    rekeeb wrote: »
    This, I would like to know where and how to change the DX11 settings, since that appears to be the main issue. ...

Doesn't work for everyone apparently but it is the only way that I can get the game to load and then actually play....

Open the launcher.
    At the top of the Launcher Window click on "Options" and then put a check mark in the box for "Safe Mode". You can "Force Verify" if you want to but it only seems a waste of time when I did it.
    Click "save".
    Login and click Engage.
    The game should now begin to load in the same "Minimized" window as the launcher.
    I advise you to leave it minimized for now.
    If/when you get to the character selection screen, do NOT load your character. Instead, click on Options and then click on the "Display" tab at the top.
    You should notice that at the top of the list is you Graphics Card setting for DirectX, which will likely show as "Auto". Change it from Auto or whatever it is set on to DirectX9.
    I have 3 choices, Dx9, Dx9 ex, and Dx11.
    The only one that works is Dx9.
    After setting it to Dx9, exit and restart the game normally.
    If it worked and you get back in game, your graphics will be set to "Min". You can set them higher if you want but do not change the Display tab setting for DirectX.
    Good Luck, hope this helps! :)
    edited May 2015
    Darpink,

I did the exact same settings as you, but it does not save my "Graphics Card" setting. I have to run in safe mode each time and choose the DX9 setting to play...

Hope they come up with a fix soon...
    CM
    edited May 2015
    darpink wrote: »
    Doesn't work for everyone apparently but it is the only way that I can get the game to load and then actually play....

Open the launcher.
    At the top of the Launcher Window click on "Options" and then put a check mark in the box for "Safe Mode". You can "Force Verify" if you want to but it only seems a waste of time when I did it.
    Click "save".
    Login and click Engage.
    The game should now begin to load in the same "Minimized" window as the launcher.
    I advise you to leave it minimized for now.
    If/when you get to the character selection screen, do NOT load your character. Instead, click on Options and then click on the "Display" tab at the top.
    You should notice that at the top of the list is you Graphics Card setting for DirectX, which will likely show as "Auto". Change it from Auto or whatever it is set on to DirectX9.
    I have 3 choices, Dx9, Dx9 ex, and Dx11.
    The only one that works is Dx9.
    After setting it to Dx9, exit and restart the game normally.
    If it worked and you get back in game, your graphics will be set to "Min". You can set them higher if you want but do not change the Display tab setting for DirectX.
    Good Luck, hope this helps! :)

I very much appreciate the time and effort you took to respond. A very sincere THANK YOU! However, the problem is,I can't GET to the character load screen. I get through the Cryptic splash screen okay, I get "material files reloaded" at the bottom of the Iconain War splash screen, and then it crashes. If I could JUST ONCE get to where I could change the options at character select, I'm sure it would help out quite a bit.

Thanks to ALL the PLAYERS that have taken time to research and offer suggestions for the UNFORGIVABLE issue that Cryptic/PWE seem to not care about at all. I wonder how the METRICS for April and May will look with a significant part of the player base not being able to play??

Your move, Cryptic/PWE.
    IVXX Senior Officer

• darpinkdarpink Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    crm14916, I'm glad you can get in game! Better than nothing I guess.

rekeeb, I truly hope you are a free to play player and not someone that has paid for membership and can't play the game.
    Cryptic should be working harder on this issue.
    edited May 2015
    darpink wrote: »
    crm14916, I'm glad you can get in game! Better than nothing I guess.

rekeeb, I truly hope you are a free to play player and not someone that has paid for membership and can't play the game.
    Cryptic should be working harder on this issue.

Lifetime sub, actually. I bought it after 4 years of FTP time. I just want to PLAY, kind sir. Lucky for ME, I actually have Trendy responding to me, so, maybe something will come of it all.

Thanks for responding!

--Beeker
    IVXX Senior Officer

• rsoblivionrsoblivion Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    For everyone getting stuck with a crash at the character load screen due to DX11, just go to:

x:\Install Directory...\Star Trek Online\Live\localdata

Edit the gameprefs.pref with notepad and find PrefEntry GfxSettings.DeviceType Direct3D11

Change to:

PrefEntry GfxSettings.DeviceType Direct3D9Ex

or

PrefEntry GfxSettings.DeviceType Direct3D9

That will initiate the game in DX9 or DX9 extended modes and prevent the DX11 error crash.
    Chris Robert's on SC:
    "You don't have to do something again and again and again repetitive that doesn't have much challange, that's just a general good gameplay thing."
  • rsoblivionrsoblivion Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    On a separate note I got a DX11 crash again today. Haven't been able to run DX11 mode since it's release.

(DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED) while creating a texture.

Technical Details: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED while creating RTEX_2D texture size 1280 x 800 (1 mips, RTEX_DXT1, usage 4, Mgd Y, GSN)D3D11 Device removed due to DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG 0x887a0006

That's the exact error code I received. Dunno why it has issues with loading textures, but it seems to...

This goes with the epic levels of FX corruption I get in DX11 mode. On ground all weapon fx were broken as were beam in/out fx. Personally I'd really like to get DX11 mode working as it's so much smoother than DX9 or DX9ex modes.
    Chris Robert's on SC:
    "You don't have to do something again and again and again repetitive that doesn't have much challange, that's just a general good gameplay thing."
  • clippersobclippersob Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    rsoblivion wrote: »
    For everyone getting stuck with a crash at the character load screen due to DX11, just go to:

x:\Install Directory...\Star Trek Online\Live\localdata

Edit the gameprefs.pref with notepad and find PrefEntry GfxSettings.DeviceType Direct3D11

Change to:

PrefEntry GfxSettings.DeviceType Direct3D9Ex

or

PrefEntry GfxSettings.DeviceType Direct3D9

That will initiate the game in DX9 or DX9 extended modes and prevent the DX11 error crash.

FWIW, I was having the same error, on an older Core2Quad 9400, using a 1G GeForce 210 card, Win7HP. My PrefEntry line above was blank, however. I changed it to Direct3D9EX as above, and it worked. Once I got into the game, I could see in video settings that it was trying to decide automatically. I forced it to DirectX9Ex, and it's good now, although I must say video quality has suffered. Badly. Like stepping back to the 90's...
    But it's playable-so far...
  • comic1996comic1996 Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I hope they get it fixed as I was half way to fleet admiral. Which I had put of for to long already.
    edited May 2015
    I am STILL getting this Direct 3D error. And I am STILL sending in tons of 36263635 Error Tickets. Sure, I can log in using Safe Mode, but I shouldn't have to. Any word on when this will get resolved?
  • logos1326logos1326 Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Just came back to the game last night after a couple of months of break. Logged in fine last night but today I can't get in at all because of the Direct 3D error.

Fatal Error: Direct 3D driver returned error code
    (DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED) while checking sync query.

Technical Details: Sync query 1 0x3670ec0 GetData == 0x887a0005 0 NF
    D3D11 Device removed due to DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG 0x887a0006

Used the launcher verify files process, checked for updated drivers, still crashes on the login load screens. Been playing since launch and this was never a problem before. Has to be something from one of your recent updates.
  • captainedwards09captainedwards09 Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Has there been any official recognition of this issue by the dev team as of yet? So far it doesn't seem like it from what I have seen. Just some acknowledgement would be a huge step, I have a friend who hasn't been able to log into the game since the launch of Season 10 due to this direct x issue. The safe mode method does not work for him, still crashes with the same error.
    edited May 2015
    There was a post some time back mentioning that the Developers were going to address this issue in a recent patch. So far, it appears they haven't done so. The only two solutions available are:

1. Using Safe Mode to log on (a pain to deal with since you have to reset your settings every time you log on)

2. Continue to log on via the launcher until the program miraculously lets you in.

I really wish someone would let us know if this is evening being addressed. I keep submitting tons of Error Tickets (36263635). I can only hope someone is noticing them.
  • logos1326logos1326 Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I was able to get in via safe mode. Before logging into a character go into options and change the display settings to DirectX 9, save and relog. I am in game now but graphics quality took a huge hit.
    Seems to be a DX11 issue from one of the recent updates.