test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

fatal error : direct 3D (Hung, Invalidcall, device removed, etc)

Comments

• admiraljaneway1admiraljaneway1 Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This has been on going problem for me since two patches ago. However, mine only seems to frequently happen in sector space. I did try a new solution and that was to set it to auto instead of picking one or the other. Since yesterday's S10 update I have been able to roam sector space again. Before that it was every 5 to 10 minutes and crash while in sector space used a lot of credits to just transwarp to missions because sector space travel was too risky.

The problem is caused by a combination of the game being based in DX9 API and running current DX11 gfx cards. Now they tried to fix this by converting the game to use the new DX11 API. To put it plainly some options that are available in DX9 are not usable by DX11 which may cause the issues we are currently getting. So when the game comes across a DX9 only attribute the DX11 API on the card goes I can't use this and triggers an error. The device removed error pretty much means the device or attribute that DX9 uses is not usable by DX11. The DX11 API revision removed that DX9 attritbute that was needed to run the game. I get more errors with DX9 games then I do with DX10 and DX11 games. Lets remember that STO is a fairly old game and that its core is DX9 just like with any software or hardware that advances adaption problems will always occur. So while people think its the game that is causing the issues it is actually MS and their DX API when they revise it I'm sure DX12 will have the same problems running older games.

The best thing you can do is keep those drivers up to date and if needed play around with the compatibility option in Windows and choose it to run in compatibility mode for a certain OS. The only way this problem will be fixed is if MS updates DX11 to use the deleted DX9 attributes but to rollback a change like that costs a lot of money. Another way this can be fixed is if the game's engine is recoded to use the DX11 API functions as well but when we talk about coding a game engine and you deal with shaders, textures, vertexes, vectors, and other things like that it would just be too much work, money, and most likely the original development team. The original dev team for STO has moved onto bigger and better things. The original development team will not remain with a game that has released as they are developers and develop new games only that is what they are paid to do.

:)

My system specs are as follows:

Intel Core i7 980X
    EVGA X58 Classified 3
    2x EVGA GTX 580 SLI
    24GB Corsair Vengenace RAM
  • firedeval465firedeval465 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I don't know if any of you actually scroll back in the forum and read. But some of you can try this if you haven't already. This fixed it for myself and others.

I had three different errors. D3D11 Device Removed. D3D11 Creating Vertex Buffer. And D3D11 Error creating 1x1x1 mips .

nVidia Control Panel > 3D Settings > Manage 3D Settings > CUDA GPU's set to NONE
  • darklord9171darklord9171 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I see I'm not the only one still having this issue. Though mine has only happened since the release of Season 10. So why is it that I could play before but not now? This is very upsetting as most of us have spent money on this game and we can't get in. How about a reply Cryptic?
    edited April 2015
    Okay everyone. We are going back to basics here. What you can try if you have not done this yet.

Instead of using ARC, Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Perfect World Entertainment\Star Trek Online_en

OR

If you do not have a Perfect World Entertainment folder,
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Star Trek Online_en

right click Star Trek Online.exe > Run as Administrator.

Once the launcher is open, Go to top right, click options, Select Safe-Mode then save.

Now, If that hasn't worked. Move on.

If you haven't tried already, go to nVidia Control Panel > Manage 3d Settings > Set Cuda Cores to none. Also, there is an option in program settings for CUDA cores. Make sure it is set to GLOBAL NONE. Now. If that hasn't worked. Move on

Go to "Adjust Image settings with preview"

Click, Let the 3D application Decide.

Now. Your not done yet. If you don't have PhysX, reboot the computer and follow the first step I give.

----This part is for PhysX users

Navigate to Configure Surround,PhysX .

In this part make sure the PhysX is set to the Video card(s) you have installed and not recommended.

Reboot and restart then follow the first step.

Here is a few more options......

Go back to the Manage 3D settings in the navigation pane,

Ambient Occlusion - Off
    Anistotropic Filtering - Off
    Antialiasing FXAA - Off
    Antialiasing - Gamma Correction - Off
    Antialiasing - Mode - Application Controled
    Antialiasing Transparency - Off
    CUDA GPU's - NONE
    DSR Factors - Off
    Max pre-rendered frams - 3D application setting
    Multi -display/mixed gpu acceleration - Mine is set to multiple display performance. If you have a single display change to single display performance mode.
    Power management - Prefer maximum performance
    Shader Cache - Off
    Texture Filtering - Anisotropic sample - Off
    Texture Filtering - Negative LOD bias - Allow
    Texture Filtering-Quality- Performance
    Texture Filtering - Trilinear Optimization - Off
    Threaded optimization - Off
    Triple buffering - Off
    Verticle Sync - Off
    Virtual pre-rendered frames - Use 3d application setting.

If you tried any of these, Click apply, and restart the computer. Then follow steop one i give on launching the game.

If these did not work for you. I want you to do this for me. Post a picture of the crash error. And post in your thread. Use photobucked or an uploading source of our choice to post the picture for best quality.

TO take a screenshot press PrtScrn button on your keyboard and then go to paint and paste. Save as jpeg and there you go.

I also want to know what you have running in the background at the same time you try to run sto.

Have you done any updates? Windows updates? I understand most of this happened after season 10, mine did also. That is why I am trying to help you all

I want as much info as you can provide. System Specs are preferred also so I know which platform is having the most issues.

I also want to know if you are running SSD or HDD. Yes there is a different. One has platters the other does not.
  • cptwinst2011cptwinst2011 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I am having the same problem, have an intel hd graphics card it happened a couple times before season 10 now that its here i cant get on at all, tried the solutions on this threat and none work for me.
  • co6thfltvmcco6thfltvmc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    when i try to login to the game it makes me go through my entire set of files .... i did that 3 times last night and still even when i completely re-installed everything including arc and still the game crashes before t even gets past the loadng page ..... before this so called patch / update the game worked fine
    please fix thiis issue
  • jonathansouthjonathansouth Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    i'm getting the exact same erro and I also have a Radeon Graphics card and am using windows 8.1 even after todays hot fix still doesn't work seem like STO no longer supports Radeon Graphics Cards hope they get it fixed soon and a big apology would be nice
    edited April 2015
    If you guys haven't read already, I am not a dev. I am a simple player like you that is trying to work with you all to get this fixed. But apparently none of you can read and give me in depth info like I asked for. At this rate, it will never be fixed for you.

So, if you wish to procede at this pace, please feel free and continue being idiots posting that it doesn't work. I get that. Give me more information!!!!!! I can't help if I don't know wtf is going on during the crash.

With that being said, go back to my previous post and re-read the ending part.
  • plasticwidowplasticwidow Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Both ARC and STO updated without problems, I pressed engage and watched the loading line at bottom of STO screen load, then the splash screen came up with Iconian icon, after a few moments this message came up:

Fatal Error: Direct3D driver returned error code (DSGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED) while checking sync query.
    Technical Details: Sync query 8 0x37173c0 GetData == 0x887a0005 0 0 D3D11 Device removed due to DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG 0x887a0006.

I restarted, rebooted, then brought up STO again, let it verify all files. Everything went smooth. I hit Engage, everything went fine, then the splash screen came up again and the game closed, like before, and same error message came up again. I do not even get to the character screen.

I am running Windows 8.1 on my lapto and have an ASUS video card.
    edited April 2015
    Quoted From : plasticwidow

Fatal Error: Direct3D driver returned error code (DSGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED) while checking sync query.
    Technical Details: Sync query 8 0x37173c0 GetData == 0x887a0005 0 0 D3D11 Device removed due to DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG 0x887a0006.
    I am running Windows 8.1 on my lapto and have an ASUS video card.

Have you tried any of the fixes I mentioned above?

Try running without Arc, I have been successfully able to run sto without any problems not using arc
  • starmanjstarmanj Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Yesterday morning game was working fine before Maintenance/patch and after today maintenance/patch I am still getting this Error:

fatal error : direct 3D returned error code
    (DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED) while checking sync query

Technical Details Sync query 130x199d2f80 GetData == 0x887a0005 0
    NF611
    D3D11 device removed due to DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG 0x887a006

Please fix this Issue cause I can no longer play after 5 years of play this game

Thank you

AMD processor 9580
    GT 520 video card
    32 gb memory
  • co6thfltvmcco6thfltvmc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    THIS UPDATE IS MORE LIKE A DOWN GRADE....... ITS TOTAL COMPLETE JOKE
    more issues after the start then when i first started the game 5 yrs ago ..... youd think theyd have all of these graphics issues worked out ...... ill be back maybe next update
    edited April 2015
    starmanj wrote: »
    Yesterday morning game was working fine before Maintenance/patch and after today maintenance/patch I am still getting this Error:

fatal error : direct 3D returned error code
    (DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED) while checking sync query

Technical Details Sync query 130x199d2f80 GetData == 0x887a0005 0
    NF611
    D3D11 device removed due to DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG 0x887a006

Please fix this Issue cause I can no longer play after 5 years of play this game

Thank you

AMD processor 9580
    GT 520 video card
    32 gb memory

Have you tried any of the fixes showed on page 13? If not, please refer there and see if anything changes.

If you end up getting a different error code, please let me know.

Also, Make sure you "Run As Administrator" .

EDIT

Have been working with STO. Found some issues are solved if you don't run Arc.

So, to launch STO without Arc. Navigate to ----> C:\Program Files(x86)\PerfectWorlEntertainment\StarTrekOnline_En

or

C:\Program Files\StarTrekOnline_En

make sure to right click and run as administrator.

If you are running windows 8. Try right clicking, Run in compatitbility mode for windows 7.
  • therealmttherealmt Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Today i came back.

Two PCs one gave this error the other didnt.

Turns out Sto uses dx11 now as default, and apparently some cards dont play nice with it.

One pc has 670gtx no issue
    second pc has old 330m gt which actually only supports dx10.

So if dx11 is forced onto that card, it might be the cause of the problems?
    Not sure how much dx11 and 10 deviate.

Either go safe mode, and change to d9d9ex or do manually in config file.
    Last resort is start the game outside steam/arc and set compatibiity mode to vista or xp.

Sorry for bad grammar im tired
    Bye
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2015
    Okay everyone. We are going back to basics here. What you can try if you have not done this yet.

Instead of using ARC, Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Perfect World Entertainment\Star Trek Online_en

OR

If you do not have a Perfect World Entertainment folder,
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Star Trek Online_en

right click Star Trek Online.exe > Run as Administrator.

Once the launcher is open, Go to top right, click options, Select Safe-Mode then save.

Now, If that hasn't worked. Move on.

If you haven't tried already, go to nVidia Control Panel > Manage 3d Settings > Set Cuda Cores to none. Also, there is an option in program settings for CUDA cores. Make sure it is set to GLOBAL NONE. Now. If that hasn't worked. Move on

Go to "Adjust Image settings with preview"

Click, Let the 3D application Decide.

Now. Your not done yet. If you don't have PhysX, reboot the computer and follow the first step I give.

----This part is for PhysX users

Navigate to Configure Surround,PhysX .

In this part make sure the PhysX is set to the Video card(s) you have installed and not recommended.

Reboot and restart then follow the first step.

Here is a few more options......

Go back to the Manage 3D settings in the navigation pane,

Ambient Occlusion - Off
    Anistotropic Filtering - Off
    Antialiasing FXAA - Off
    Antialiasing - Gamma Correction - Off
    Antialiasing - Mode - Application Controled
    Antialiasing Transparency - Off
    CUDA GPU's - NONE
    DSR Factors - Off
    Max pre-rendered frams - 3D application setting
    Multi -display/mixed gpu acceleration - Mine is set to multiple display performance. If you have a single display change to single display performance mode.
    Power management - Prefer maximum performance
    Shader Cache - Off
    Texture Filtering - Anisotropic sample - Off
    Texture Filtering - Negative LOD bias - Allow
    Texture Filtering-Quality- Performance
    Texture Filtering - Trilinear Optimization - Off
    Threaded optimization - Off
    Triple buffering - Off
    Verticle Sync - Off
    Virtual pre-rendered frames - Use 3d application setting.

If you tried any of these, Click apply, and restart the computer. Then follow steop one i give on launching the game.

If these did not work for you. I want you to do this for me. Post a picture of the crash error. And post in your thread. Use photobucked or an uploading source of our choice to post the picture for best quality.

TO take a screenshot press PrtScrn button on your keyboard and then go to paint and paste. Save as jpeg and there you go.

I also want to know what you have running in the background at the same time you try to run sto.

Have you done any updates? Windows updates? I understand most of this happened after season 10, mine did also. That is why I am trying to help you all

I want as much info as you can provide. System Specs are preferred also so I know which platform is having the most issues.

I also want to know if you are running SSD or HDD. Yes there is a different. One has platters the other does not.

I only tried the Safe mode it did work however Safe mode Does not stay saved you have to do it every time you log in.

Now FYI I the Game Closes when doning missions for some unknown reason.

Another Note to add: I have a Laptop with ATI Radeon HD 3200 and it works Fine with game
    edited April 2015
    starmanj wrote: »
    I only tried the Safe mode it did work however Safe mode Does not stay saved you have to do it every time you log in.

Now FYI I the Game Closes when doning missions for some unknown reason.

Another Note to add: I have a Laptop with ATI Radeon HD 3200 and it works Fine with game

Okay, So you have it part way. That is good news. At least you can get the game up an running. Right?

If so, here's what you need to do next. When you start the game in safe-mode, go to your options menu. Make sure display is set on the right video card under display Tab. Then go to your options tab. Make sure you de-select DX11 and change it to Dx9EX or DX9. See if that's fixes your problem the rest of the way.

If not, try running the client standalone without Arc in Safe-Mode and try the changes.

EDIT
    Today i came back.

Two PCs one gave this error the other didnt.

Turns out Sto uses dx11 now as default, and apparently some cards dont play nice with it.

One pc has 670gtx no issue
    second pc has old 330m gt which actually only supports dx10.

So if dx11 is forced onto that card, it might be the cause of the problems?
    Not sure how much dx11 and 10 deviate.

Either go safe mode, and change to d9d9ex or do manually in config file.
    Last resort is start the game outside steam/arc and set compatibiity mode to vista or xp.

Sorry for bad grammar im tired
    Bye

I understand what you said. If you have DX11 forced onto the old 330m gt, it is possible that an error can be caused because the card can't support it. HOWEVER; STO should detect that problem and automatically revert to DX9 which i assume that card can support.

Now, if you don't think DX9 is on your machine, or or some reason you think it may be corrupt, you can always navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Perfect World Entertainment\Star Trek Online_en\directx_aug2009_redist and run the DXSETUP.EXE and repair the installation.
  • bobsled624bobsled624 Member Posts: 267 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015
    Because the team are still working on it, as Trendy pointed out on Twitter last night. They don't seem to know what's causing the issue yet as it's still under investigation...

But I'll tell you this much, I was having the same issue and through a little creative investigation with a couple of fleetmates (also having the issue), here's what we came up with

Since the patch, the Video is defaulting to "Direct 3D 11" which most computers (unless they are specced for it,) cannot handle.

To fix:

Load the game in Safe Mode, go to Options>Display>Video Card.

Instead of Auto, select Direct 3D 9. Save the change, and exit the game.

Reload and hey ho, I've been playing for hours without an issue. I've even played through the content that was causing this gem to crash, without issue. I'm back to my previous high graphics settings and all appears to be working without a hitch.

Hope this helps

Captain Mark Shranz | bIng 'aj Ro'Tal | erei'Riov Koval tr'Liun

"Your fun is not wrong" -Jeremy Randal@borticuscryptic

Proud Member of the Operational Support (Bug Hunter) Team
    edited April 2015
    Quoted by : bobsled624

To fix:

Load the game in Safe Mode, go to Options>Display>Video Card.

Instead of Auto, select Direct 3D 9. Save the change, and exit the game.

Reload and hey ho, I've been playing for hours without an issue. I've even played through the content that was causing this gem to crash, without issue. I'm back to my previous high graphics settings and all appears to be working without a hitch.

Hope this helps

This is actually what I was going to check when I remembered there was maintenance. This is a temp solution for people, I am trying to help find more of a long term fix until the support team figures out the problem. No offense, but it's gonna be a LONG time until they get it fixed... So that's why I am here, checking this forum every day, to help people find more of a permanent solutoin until cryptic gets off their TRIBBLE and actually starts a debugg on the program.

Also, most of these people can't even get into the game with this error. So the fix you suggest doesn't help a great many people.
  • rikwesselsrikwessels Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This is actually what I was going to check when I remembered there was maintenance. This is a temp solution for people, I am trying to help find more of a long term fix until the support team figures out the problem. No offense, but it's gonna be a LONG time until they get it fixed... So that's why I am here, checking this forum every day, to help people find more of a permanent solutoin until cryptic gets off their TRIBBLE and actually starts a debugg on the program.

Also, most of these people can't even get into the game with this error. So the fix you suggest doesn't help a great many people.

unfortunately : for quite a lot of folks the "safe mode/dx9 "solution doesn't work either ,so they're stuck . I'm gong to attempt a complete uninstall/re-install of STO now to see if that resolves this bug . It's doubtfull though , DX errors aren't in the habit to magically disappear
  • darpinkdarpink Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    From the Launcher (not Arc), Options, Safe Mode.
    When I get in game, Options, Display, change it from DirectX11 to Dx9, click ok.
    Close game.
    Reload Launcher and login, once in game go to Options, Graphics, change any setting I want to change and play with no problem.

Seems it did the same thing for a while after the launch of New Romulus!! Old issue coming back to haunt us. :P
  • rikwesselsrikwessels Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm now suspecting it's the Deferi map ( and only the Deferi map ) at my end as everyone seems to CTD there . BTW the "material files reloaded " banner has reappeared as well , we remember that one from LoR :D
    edited April 2015
    FYI Just checked without Safe Mode on:

A litttle different error today:

Fatal Error Drirect3d driver returned error code
    (DXIGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REVOMED while Creating
    RTEX_2D texture size 128 x 128 (mips, RTEX_BGRA_U8, usage 4, Mgd Y,
    GS N)D3D11 Device Removed due to DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG
    0x887a006
  • dancesondragonsdancesondragons Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    nanomorph wrote: »
    DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED means it's an improperly-handled GPU "loss" (in DirectX terms), meaning your GPU drivers are crashing. DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG means the GPU itself is locking up.

It's not the game.

What make and model of power supply do you have in your system?

It is the game though. As it is the only thing that has changed. The update is a disaster thus far. The game constantly crashes upon launch.
  • peterkendrickpeterkendrick Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I kept getting the 3d Error, I have done all the steps nessacary to fix from my end, and it keeps crashing. uninstalling and reinstalling did nothing. any thoughts
    edited April 2015
    poste by starman j

FYI Just checked without Safe Mode on:

A litttle different error today:

Fatal Error Drirect3d driver returned error code
    (DXIGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REVOMED while Creating
    RTEX_2D texture size 128 x 128 (mips, RTEX_BGRA_U8, usage 4, Mgd Y,
    GS N)D3D11 Device Removed due to DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG
    0x887a006

Have you tried running STO without Arc/Steam? If not, navigte to the directory of installation, right click the STO client and run as administrator. See if that works.

quoted by peterkendrick:

I kept getting the 3d Error, I have done all the steps nessacary to fix from my end, and it keeps crashing. uninstalling and re installing did nothing. any thoughts

I ask you to do the same. Navigate to the directory of installation, right click the STO client and run as administrator without using arc/steam. See if that has any effect on error code given or if it fixes it.
  • splash1701splash1701 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This is definitely the game causing this issue. I was playing STO that very same morning and everything was fine. Then right after the last Shard update is when the nightmare began. I have uninstalled and re-installed, repaired Arc, force verified all files, updated my video driver, and gave Tech Support a "dxdiag.txt" file. The game does launch and will play in Safe Mode however.
    edited April 2015
    This is definitely on Cryptics end and is NOT caused by the players or their settings!! Anyone that thinks this player side probably poops their pants too.

This game is so broken now Cryptic will be wanting to give away some goodies if it becomes playable again just to hopefully get some very angry players to come back.

Nice going Craptic...another fail. Geee I wonder why....HOW ABOUT FIX STUFF BEFORE ADDING NEW TRIBBLE!!!
    Just a suggestion^^ :rolleyes:
  • sammyspet1sammyspet1 Member Posts: 212 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    darpink wrote: »
    This is definitely on Cryptics end and is NOT caused by the players or their settings!! Anyone that thinks this player side probably poops their pants too.

so cryptic own players computers and update them for the players? from the sound of this whole thread it is just wow and strange bug as alot of players i know dont have it, but then again people always try and blame others for something so im not suprised u lot want to blame them for something thats not their fault..... you will dissagree but before you do ask yourself this who buys and picks the stuff for your Computer? i know its not cryptic who does that lol :rolleyes:
    This game is so broken now Cryptic will be wanting to give away some goodies if it becomes playable again just to hopefully get some very angry players to come back.

you want freebies cos you cant play a free to play game..... wow thats just wrong, hope they give you a fat nothing, if they did give you lot something you would all complain you have it and others would say no no no its we got it for something on day 1.... i bet you will say its not free but no one forces you to pay money in to the game, its your choice to pay money in to the game end of.
    Nice going Craptic...another fail. Geee I wonder why....HOW ABOUT FIX STUFF BEFORE ADDING NEW TRIBBLE!!!
    Just a suggestion^^ :rolleyes:

they are only human and bring out new stuff is good, if you was a old player you would know better.... and you lot wonder why some of them dont care, you lot throw everything back at them they do something nice and you give them TRIBBLE... not just you but everyone! people in this game make me ashamed to be a star trek fan, you lot are giving star trek a bad name and you will prove my point when you all dissagree and try and troll this with your own little veiws.

heres a tip for you lot grow up and act your age, all new players would see is alot of screaming kids with a self apointed god status.:rolleyes: and for the record, any reply will not be read by myself as i couldnt give a TRIBBLE what you think about this post or me so dont even try ;) then again you wont have the IQ to work that out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

wanted to beat the Delta Meme n00bs LOL
    Join Date a player made up is NOT correct!
  • captain145captain145 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I have tried everything I have a windows 8.1 and I keep getting the message it has been removedFatal Error Drirect3d driver returned error code
    (DXIGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REVOMED and I don't know what else to do
    edited April 2015
    sammyspet1 wrote: »
    so cryptic own players computers and update them for the players? from the sound of this whole thread it is just wow and strange bug as alot of players i know dont have it, but then again people always try and blame others for something so im not suprised u lot want to blame them for something thats not their fault..... you will dissagree but before you do ask yourself this who buys and picks the stuff for your Computer? i know its not cryptic who does that lol :rolleyes:
    Wow!! You honestly think that all of these players that are having this issue are to blame?? Too funny. So none of us changed anything in our settings or our PC at all the only thing that changed was the game.....but it's our fault.
    Yep....you use Pampers or Luvs?

Edit: Well the server just crashed for everyone!
    Looks like some noob had HIS settings wrong! :rollseyes: