test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

fatal error : direct 3D (Hung, Invalidcall, device removed, etc)

for the problems related to all the direct 3d errors. https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/dn458383.aspx

things to try:

- a clean uninstall of you current drivers with this tool: http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html (follow the instructions, it is very important)
- then try a new driver (most of the time, the newest is not the best)
- remove your gameprefs in star trek online/live/local data
- you can try also the safe mode
- you can try dx9, 9ex or dx11. personally, I have more problems with dx9. black screen every 3 or 4 minutes and after less than 10 minutes crash
- you can also check your GPU with tools like afterburner and msi kombuster (span speed, temperature of your CPU - must be under sixty degrees for a ATI card-) https://gaming.msi.com/features/afterburner
- if you card is overclocked, remove all the overclocking and bring back your card at its factory settings
- check also your alimentation. this component can be damaged or not enough powerful for your system.
- you can try also to deactivate your onboard graphic card.

I suspect also that there is a problem with the last patch (the 2 last), because I was able to do missions on Kobali, and the mission Sunrise without problems, but since the last patch, I have again the same problem blabla hung.

hi,

since I bought a new computer, when i make STF, the game crash and I have this message:

fatal error : direct 3D returned error code
(DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED) while checking sync query
D3D11 device removed due to DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG 0x887a006

my computer :

Intel I3 3240 3,4 ghz
AMD radeon HD 7700 ---> catalyst 15.7.1
RAM : 8ghz

windows 7 64bits

thx in advance
Post edited by sennahcherib on

Comments

• Options
    karcornerkarcorner Member Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I get that on New Romulus. Their tech support has never helped at all. I can only guess they do not support AMD/ATI cards, because every person I ask that has that error has one of those cards. I have not been able to play on New Romulus for almost a year because I crash within 15 seconds when I get there.
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    well now i can't play more than 10-20 minutes, this problem appears everywhere, and now i have also a ctd with a black screen. With the crappy computer than i had before, never i had these problems.

I took a look on google, and this problem appears in a lot of game, and for amd or intel card. And all modern cards which use Direct x11.

I hope that cryptic will find a solution, I bought recently 2 ships and i can't enjoy it :mad:
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    well, i try all the solutions given everywhere, and i have always this problem. A reply from the cryptic's staff would be great; we need an explanation.
  • Options
    nanomorphnanomorph Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED means it's an improperly-handled GPU "loss" (in DirectX terms), meaning your GPU drivers are crashing. DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG means the GPU itself is locking up.

It's not the game.

What make and model of power supply do you have in your system?
  • Options
    extremis0extremis0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    iv been getting the same problems and its getting me frustrated

fatal error : direct 3D returned error code
    (DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED) while creating vertex buffer

Technical Details: D3D11 device removed due to
    DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG 0x887a006

if my gpu is locking up as well what should i do?
    my pc
    lenovo y510p
    GT755 SLI
    16GB RAM
    I7-4700MQ
    WIN 8.1
  • Options
    zeihmelezeihmele Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Getting this error too, and only with STO. Over 120 steam titles and this is the only one that likes to crash. X-Rebirth is more stable, and that's saying a lot.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    @ nanomorph

yes, i know that the game is not responsible, but maybe they know this problem ;)

I watched on a lot of forums (for different games), and this problems occurs in a lot of games, on differents computers, but nobody knows exactly how to remove it.

personally i tried tons of pseudo solutions, and i still have this problem. this is very frustating, because i can't begin a stf because the game can crash at any time.
  • Options
    kiriseekirisee Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'm getting random ctd or just shuts the whole computer down. This only started since last weeks patch...cant play now....great!
    "If everyone used Macs, we'd be working on how to get to Alpha Centauri rather than how to get to Mars."
  • Options
    thor759thor759 Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I also have a similar problem in the last 2 weeks - unexplained hangs, no error message, nothing in event log and hardware tests show no fault, problem only happens with STO. My video card is a GT 540m with 2gb of ram - I am now at a loss to understand or explain it. I have re-installed all relevant drivers and I am now setting the Video Card Settings in Options to Directx 9. My back up machine runs without issue at this setting.
  • Options
    mightionnymightionny Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    This happens a lot to me, too:

Fatal Error
    Fatal Error: Direct3D driver returned error code (DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED) while checking sync query.

Technical Details: Sync query 6 0x2cd6880 GetData == 0x887a0005 0 NF 277130
    D3D11 Device removed due to DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG 0x887a0006
    OK

I'm using a GTX 570; the same one I've been playing STO with for literally years; this has only started around Season 8. It can happen any time - either during a fight in the Sphere Battlezone, or standing still on ESD, idle.

I've been keeping my drivers up to date, too. Currently I'm using 331.93.

Needless to say, no other game I play causes this, not even Skyrim.
  • Options
    siivooja37siivooja37 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    mightionny wrote: »
    This happens a lot to me, too:

Fatal Error
    Fatal Error: Direct3D driver returned error code (DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED) while checking sync query.

Technical Details: Sync query 6 0x2cd6880 GetData == 0x887a0005 0 NF 277130
    OK

I'm using a GTX 570; the same one I've been playing STO with for literally years; this has only started around Season 8. It can happen any time - either during a fight in the Sphere Battlezone, or standing still on ESD, idle.

I've been keeping my drivers up to date, too. Currently I'm using 331.93.

Needless to say, no other game I play causes this, not even Skyrim.

Nothing to do with nvidia drivers. Just uninstall sound card drivers if u have
  • Options
    captainpugwash1captainpugwash1 Member Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Iv tried 3 diff graphic cards and it still dose it but its very random, cant use half of the galaxy map, just get white blocks or toons looking like ghosts, thats as well as crashing.

Since season 8 for me to.
  • Options
    litchy74litchy74 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The issue is with the servers not loading textures and game files correctly, it's appeared since season 8 but the devs can't replicate it so it seems it's being ignored, hope it goes away or we go quiet.

There's a 200 post over 9000 viewed thread about it on this board. Dev replys I believe 3, sad but true.
    Where ever you go, there you are.......

Join The Space Invaders,..... Federation and KDF fleets.
  • Options
    ramadmaniakidramadmaniakid Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    When your in the game go to your video setting and try choosing Direcy X9 to render your graphics and see how you get on, the game is very buggy when using DX11
  • Options
    captainpugwash1captainpugwash1 Member Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    When your in the game go to your video setting and try choosing Direcy X9 to render your graphics and see how you get on, the game is very buggy when using DX11

Dont make any diff,,,,,,
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    yep, no diff. I tried all the setting, almost all the tricks given all over internet, but this is always the same thing. I can't play at the game more than 10 minutes.

btw when the problem happens, my deskop changes : it is more bright, and the picture that i have on my desktop lost its quality. do you have that too?

so, for me, the game is really over :mad:
  • Options
    gabesoutogabesouto Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Same issue here, since season 8. Don't matter if I'm idle or in middle of a battle. The error is:

'Fatal Error: Direct3D driver returned error code (DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED) while checking sync query.

Technical Details: Sync query 11 0x52d540 GetData == 0x887a0005 0 NF768725

D3D11 Device removed due to DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG 0x887a0006'

I'm using the following:
    i5-3470 with 8 Gb RAM
    Win 7 64 bits
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 Ti (always with latest drivers, currently 331.82)

EDIT: The only game that this happens with is STO.

UPDATE: Guys, I'm trying two changes that brought a lot more stability to gameplay. Remember I'm an Nvidia user. I don't know for other graphic cards. 1) Right click Desktop, NVIDIA control panel, 3D Settings, Manage 3D settings, Global Settings, at Power Management mode change to 'Prefer maximun performance' and click 'Apply'. 2) I also play now using Direct3D 9 on the Video options of the game. 3) I only installed the graphic drivers, the PhysX 9.13.0725 and GeForce Experience 1.8.1
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Another update: I finally sort of solved the issues but still getting some system hangs from time to time so... I moved the game to a different partition I have on the same PC but with Windows XP x64. Now, and after several testings, I found the game solid as a rock. :) I'm using the latest drivers (332.21) without a problem.

So the whole problem is something between Nvidia drivers, STO and Win 7.

Hope this info helps someone.

The LAST update: Still getting hangs on both OS, but only from time to time. Checking the tech forum I saw a lot of people playing Neverwinter has this problem too.
  • Options
    mottyconnottymottyconnotty Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Fatal Error: Direct3D driver returned error code
    (DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED) while checking sync query.
    Technical Details" Sync query 8 0x14ac1240 GetDate==
    0x887a0005 0 NF422 D3D11 Device removed due to DXGI-ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG 0x887a006
    8 0x14ac1240 this # changes with every crash
    12 0x1479a080
    14 0x1483dac0
    just to list a few

Note:
    Pentium i7 core
    Win7
    Nvidia 210 (yes basic low end card has worked fairly well)
    Driver Version 332.21
    Now I have been playing STO for over a year (2x Q's WW events) and I've never had any major problems playing STO till I made that 1 change (listed below),
    >On 1/20-21/14 while in game! switched video options in drop down box
    from DX 9e to Dx11 hoping to improve the look of game. Played fine w/out problem.
    Till next day 1/21/14 when trying to log back into game.
    Then the crashing & errors started!
    1st thing I tried was a un/re-install of STO & deletion of any remaining STO files & folders
    System restore back to 1/20/14 2pm way before any changes made in STO
    Use of Regedit to look for but not change any trace of "STO"
    Video driver roll back & update
    Run dxdiag
    Remaning of PC (ake John Doe's pc) [network name]
    Reading of forums

With all the things I have tried, 1 of those "fixes" should have worked if it was something on my end ? Now it is like there is something on the server end with my account/pc name/ I.P. address Settings keeping me from playing on with my pc! Because MY real life Brother can use his pc to log on to my account & play just fine on his end! His pc name & I.P. address are different than mine, so it is only logical !
  • Options
    drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    nanomorph wrote: »
    DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED means it's an improperly-handled GPU "loss" (in DirectX terms), meaning your GPU drivers are crashing. DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG means the GPU itself is locking up.

It's not the game.

What make and model of power supply do you have in your system?

I completely disagree with this. I have been playing on my laptop since beta. Prior to Season 8, this issue never happened to me.

Then immediately after S8, constant crashes with the above error and only when on a ground map, and every single time NR.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    After long testing, what it seems to work is to install 'EVGA Precision' and raise the fan speed to 50%. No more issues. This is absolutely strange, because my rig is new, I checked and no dust that could suppose overheat is present. By default, the fan speed is around 22%.

And, of course, this only happens while playing STO. I have no problem with Skyrim and other demanding games, that I usually play with ultra high quality graphics on.

Hope this helps someone.
  • Options
    rigost101rigost101 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I am receiving the same error message. I have NVIDIA 675M GTX and the latest driver 332.21 but the NVIDIA control panel doesn't have an option to change fan speed.

I have tried DirectX 9, 9E and 11 and changing all setting to low. When I do CTD the brightness on my screen increases a lot.

It doesn't seem like my BIOS allows for fan over ride either. So I am not sure what the solution is but its ruining me from trying to get back and playing STO.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    rigost101 wrote: »
    I am receiving the same error message. I have NVIDIA 675M GTX and the latest driver 332.21 but the NVIDIA control panel doesn't have an option to change fan speed.

You can install this software called 'EVGA Precision' (even if your Nvidia card isn't an EVGA) and then change the fan speed.

Here: http://www.evga.com/precision/
  • Options
    voyagerrulzvoyagerrulz Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Thank god I found this thread..cause I have been going crazy for the past 3-4 weeks.
    Since then is when my issues with STO began.

Say out of the 10 times I try to start the game 8 times it will lock up with in 60 secs of booting up the game.
    Sometimes it completely freezes the PC when it forces me to to a hard shut down but sometimes I can manage to alt+Tab back to the desktop (laggy as hell though) and ill get a error msg pop up which says:

Fatal Error: Direct3D driver returned error code
    (DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_Removed) while checking sync query.

Technical Details: Sync query 5 0x13eb0cc0 GetData == 0x887a0005 0 NF

any updates on what has been happening to others receiveing this same msg?
  • Options
    achatefwachatefw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    From MSDN Development forums:

Fatal errors in D3D

Unexpected, non-recoverable D3D errors can (rarely) occur for several reasons:

The GPU hardware could hang due to a driver bug, hardware fault, overheating, etc. It must then be reset (basically rebooting the GPU) before rendering can continue. This is referred to as a TDR, which stands for Timeout Detection and Recovery.

The GPU could have been physically removed from the computer (which happens when undocking certain laptop models) or its driver could have been updated on the fly.

The driver could have a bug that got it into a messed up state.

The driver or D3D runtime could run out of memory in a place that isn't recoverable. Some allocation failures (for instance not having enough room to create a new texture) are easy to report back to the caller, but others (for instance failing to allocate an internal renamed resource while flushing a command buffer) could leave things in an ambiguous partial state where some amount of rendering might already have taken place yet other work cannot be completed. There is no good way to describe such a situation to the caller, and not really anything they could do to continue past the problem.

A boneheaded error could have gone unnoticed (especially if the debug D3D layer was not in use) so the D3D runtime passed invalid parameters through to the driver. What happens next is entirely up to the driver (this is undefined behavior!) but one likely outcome is for the driver to become horribly confused, fling its hands in the air, and shout huh? you want me to do whaaaat???

In all these cases things have gone badly wrong, and not in a clean way where D3D could report back that any single method call was rejected. We know the D3D device has ended up in a different state to what the program intended, but cannot describe exactly how things are different or what needs to happen to get everything back in sync. At this point D3D switches into a special "device removed" state. You can still call D3D methods, but they will be ignored and nothing will actually be rendered. When you eventually come to call Present, it will return one of the error codes:

DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED
    DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_RESET
    DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG
    DXGI_ERROR_DRIVER_INTERNAL_ERROR

The only way to recover from device removed state is to destroy the broken D3D device, destroy all its associated resources, create a new device, and reload a whole new set of fresh resources. Some apps go to great pains to robustly handle this situation, but many (most?) games don't bother, and will just crash in response, or stop rendering and need to be killed by the user.

Note that D3D11 device removed state is different from the old D3D9 device lost behavior, which occurred any time the monitor switched between windowed and fullscreen mode (e.g. when pressing alt+tab). This was a common occurrence, so all D3D9 apps had to handle device lost. In D3D11, display mode switches are handled by the runtime without any special effort from the app. Device removed is reserved for situations where the state of the device is not well defined and thus no automatic recovery is possible, which is much rarer.

If you frequently run into device removed errors, the first step is to check the debug D3D layer to make sure these are not just knock-on consequences of an earlier boneheaded error.
  • Options
    achatefwachatefw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The other thing I noticed while doing research was that two years ago Champions had this exact same problem using "underwater" aliasing. If I'm not mistaken, that exactly the fix they applied to the feature episode in order to make it work correctly. That would explain why my crashing started when the FE came out.
  • Options
    assimilatedkenassimilatedken Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'm getting the same error. It's pretty frustrating. This first happened to me the first time I entered the Dyson sphere while I was flying around trying to complete the story objectives. Then I entered the battleground and things got worse from there.

Was running around the city with a buddy last night and my game crashed at least 5 times. I decided to make a new Romulan toon, game crashed in character creation twice. I finally finished creating my toon and crashed in the city trying to get to the weapons locker; the very first mission.

I have no idea what to do. I've been playing for about 3-4 weeks, it was fine until 2 or 3 days ago.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    My game just crashed right at the end of the first NR space mission with your ugly warbird :P (or at least I think it was the end of the mission, this is my first time playing Romulan.)

I'm running a Palit GTX 760 4gb Jetstream
    Intel Core i7 930 @ 3.5Ghz
    6gb Ram
    334.89 Nvidia drivers (updated just yesterday)

Was using the 332.xx and had the same issue. I was hoping the update would fix it... it did not.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Hey guys, just an update for those still experiencing crashes. Dunno if this will work for you but it did for me, at least for now.

I decided to uninstall and re-install the game in an entirely different directory and partition of my HDD. I haven't had any crashing issues so far since. I also decided not to change of the graphics settings. It's not the prettiest sight since I know my card could handle much more but I'd rather avoid the crashes.

Hope this helps. Lemme know how it goes for you guys.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    hi,

I no longer have this problem, since i changed my graphic card; i used an ati hd 7700, now an ati hd4600. (yep an old card)

the problem can be :

- a defective graphic card
    - the alimentation not enough powerful
    - the computer itself ->a bad compatibility between components
    - the game which doesn't handle correctly the new graphics cards

if you can: (don't do it, if you need the product guarantee, as soon as your computer is opened, it is not anymore guaranteed)

- remove all the graphic drivers, with http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/display_driver_uninstaller_download.html (in safe mode), use ccleaner to clean the register.

- when you remove the drivers choose the option (changing of graphic card - or something like that-). Then open, your computer, remove the graphic card, and install it again.

- switch on your computer, and let windows to recognize the graphic card, when all is ok, install the latest drivers for your card.

if you have an older graphic card try it.

i hope that will help you