test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

fatal error : direct 3D (Hung, Invalidcall, device removed, etc)

Comments

• unkonowunkonow Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    just had my laptop put back to it manufacturer setting this week and nothing works :mad:
    they was a code on here that help me out by now it gone damm
  • magnocarticmagnocartic Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I have been playing this game since closed beta and have never had a problem until now. It seems this error has been going on for a while and NONE of the devs have addressed the issue. I've submitted multiple tickets and still NOTHING. I paid $300 for the lifetime membership in addition to the cost of the game itself and can no longer play it because of this error issue. I can't even get past the Iconian splash screen
  • lybrion1lybrion1 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Ever since season 10's update, I too have had this now infamous Fatal Error. I can however play this in safe mode, so I am not sure why others cannot. That being said, good luck with ever getting any real support, as my experience with the support crew has been much less than the same as talking to a Vulcan about love poetry... It has been my experience that every season has new and exciting errors, glitches and yet I boldly go into this game expecting something better. Each patch gives me hope. But alas, much like watching a clothed Ferengi woman undressing, in the end my hopes are dashed...As a gold member, I still have to pay for the Ferengi woman, and like good Ferengi business men, they are happy to take my latinum. If a Klingon or Andorian were running this outfit, there would be some heavy bloodshed, and the programmers would be put to the agonizer or at the very least a pain stick.....
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I had this issue happen twice for my after I changed from an Nvidia GTX 460 to an ATI Radeon R7 260x. Then I updated my drivers to the AMD's latest beta (then 15.4, now 15.5) and I haven't had a problem since. If this is consistently affecting you I recommend you try the same.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • mrairforcemrairforce Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I had this issue happen twice for my after I changed from an Nvidia GTX 460 to an ATI Radeon R7 260x. Then I updated my drivers to the AMD's latest beta (then 15.4, now 15.5) and I haven't had a problem since. If this is consistently affecting you I recommend you try the same.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

That seems to have solved the problem for me for the first time I started it up. I will try launching a couple more times and seeing if it completely "fixes" it.
  • xraiderv1xraiderv1 Member Posts: 487 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    today's patch has introduced a memory leak it feels like. I got dumped out of game with some kind of virtual ram error..I didnt get to copy the specifics as the crash logger had promptly snatched up all 4gb of ram that sto had hogged, and I needed to free that ram up asap before my entire system locked up.
    Murphy's laws:
    1- Murphy’s Law tells us that anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    2- And anything that does go wrong will get progressively worse.
    3- And if you survive the first two laws it’s time to panic.
  • nemesischikennemesischiken Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I too have started getting Fatal Error crashes as well since the patch ...
    Fatal Error: Direct3D driver returned error code (E_OUTOFMEMORY)
    while resetting the device.

Technical Details: 5.30 GB RAM, 210.12 MB virtual space available
    HNCNKy.jpg
  • xraiderv1xraiderv1 Member Posts: 487 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    this wasnt a problem before the 6/11 patch, in fact I was able, prior to the patch, to comfortably play the game for hours, with chrome up at the same time(so I could check wiki whenever I got stuck or saw something new). but after the patch...I got all of an hour's game time in yesterday before the ruddy thing spat that out of memory error at me, and thanks go to nemesischiken for hitting the nail on the head far as the error is concerned.
    Murphy's laws:
    1- Murphy’s Law tells us that anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    2- And anything that does go wrong will get progressively worse.
    3- And if you survive the first two laws it’s time to panic.
  • stormymavstormymav Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    xraiderv1 wrote: »
    this wasnt a problem before the 6/11 patch, in fact I was able, prior to the patch, to comfortably play the game for hours, with chrome up at the same time(so I could check wiki whenever I got stuck or saw something new). but after the patch...I got all of an hour's game time in yesterday before the ruddy thing spat that out of memory error at me, and thanks go to nemesischiken for hitting the nail on the head far as the error is concerned.

The same goes for me!
    ctia09nxz9n2.png
    just got back on the game today it still having a problem with my graphic card i check it all the updates, and that stuff but there is still a problem with it.(D3DERRDIVCEHUNG) technical details sync query 7 0x7815320 get data==0x88760874 0 f0 4 may technical details sync query 4 0x36d300 getdata == 0… if any help me out that would be great
  • deadworld56deadworld56 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    rsoblivion wrote: »
    For everyone getting stuck with a crash at the character load screen due to DX11, just go to:

x:\Install Directory...\Star Trek Online\Live\localdata

Edit the gameprefs.pref with notepad and find PrefEntry GfxSettings.DeviceType Direct3D11

Change to:

PrefEntry GfxSettings.DeviceType Direct3D9Ex

or

PrefEntry GfxSettings.DeviceType Direct3D9

That will initiate the game in DX9 or DX9 extended modes and prevent the DX11 error crash.

I don't have the PrefEntry GfxSettings.DeviceType Direct3D11 entry to replace... So I tried simply adding in PrefEntry GfxSettings.DeviceType Direct3D9 because after an entire day of trying fixes (all of the fixes in this thread and a few found elsewhere), I figured I'd just start shooting in the dark. No dice. I'm at my wit's end.
  • punchface120punchface120 Member Posts: 1 New User
    > @gabesouto said:
    > Same issue here, since season 8. Don't matter if I'm idle or in middle of a battle. The error is:
    >
    > 'Fatal Error: Direct3D driver returned error code (DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED) while checking sync query.
    >
    > Technical Details: Sync query 11 0x52d540 GetData == 0x887a0005 0 NF768725
    >
    > D3D11 Device removed due to DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG 0x887a0006'
    >
    > I'm using the following:
    > i5-3470 with 8 Gb RAM
    > Win 7 64 bits
    > Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 Ti (always with latest drivers, currently 331.82)
    >
    > EDIT: The only game that this happens with is STO.
    >
    > UPDATE: Guys, I'm trying two changes that brought a lot more stability to gameplay. Remember I'm an Nvidia user. I don't know for other graphic cards. 1) Right click Desktop, NVIDIA control panel, 3D Settings, Manage 3D settings, Global Settings, at Power Management mode change to 'Prefer maximun performance' and click 'Apply'. 2) I also play now using Direct3D 9 on the Video options of the game. 3) I only installed the graphic drivers, the PhysX 9.13.0725 and GeForce Experience 1.8.1

Amazing but how do I change it to Direct3D 9?
  • psychickittypsychickitty Member Posts: 165 Arc User
    I have a work around that might fix this...

If you have an Nvidia card and are suffering from this issue or something like it....try changing your PhysX settings to CPU.....doing this has not only made my game faster and more responsive....but in addition I don't seam to be getting crashes anymore....and have not had any fatal errors in a while....even while using direct x 11.

Dont know if this is a cure all....don't know if it will work for anyone else...would be wild if doing this on the AMDs having issues worked as well.

Power without Perception is Spiritually useless and therefore of no true value.

=^_^=

still got the same problem. i using a hp notebook 15 laptop if any know why i can't get on to the game just let me know
  • blondie987blondie987 Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    guys yall aren't understanding for some of us this is an ongoing problem that there is no fix for and we can not get past or even get to the character select screen the game continually auto crashes to desktop and the graphics display driver for some reason or anything just stops responding and says guess what star trek online TRIBBLE you i don't want to work. we want this issue addressed and fixed by cryptic and perfectworld entertainment is that too much to ask?
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    Now I'm in the mix :( Just venting as it's getting late.
  • kittyflofykittyflofy Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    I paid $300 for the lifetime membership in addition to the cost of the game itself and can no longer play it because of this error issue. I can't even get past the Iconian splash screen

Well that is your fault. Dont put as excuse the money you wasted to demand the devs to fix the issue. The behaviour of the devs fixing things is something that never changed in years. So, putting that as an excuse right now is at least stupid. If you want to demand that things get fixed, dont waste money on this game in the first place.

• cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    ^ False. As a paying customer there are expectations from the product and services from the company offering the product. The company should be making effort to maximize use its product. Posters here are just the ones who actually choose to post.

Yet, your post can be summed up in much nicer, and accurate terms: buyer beware.
  • joeykoricjoeykoric Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    This may not be true for everyone. This problem started for me when I upgraded to Windows 10. It occurred to me to check to see if my driver needed to be updated to work with windows 10. I went to the AMD/ATI and looked for an updated for my ATI Mobility Raedon 4250 driver. I learned, that the driver was sunsetted back in 2013 for windows 8 and no more updates for that graphics card was forth coming. I then reverted back to Windows 7. I was then able to log into the game and play. So for some of you who have ATI graphics card and running Windows 10, you just might want to check if there is a windows 10 compatible driver for your card. If not, and if you can, you can revert back to 8 or 7 windows.
    Fleet Admiral Zach Caldwell
    Commanding Officer, Strategic Starfleet Operations
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    i have reinstalled my ATI HD 7700 + the latest drivers; for now no problems. this is what i have done:

- first of all, remove the drivers using the option : clean and shutdown (for installing a graphic card) : with this tool http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
    - launch your computer, windows must detect your graphic card.
    - install the latest drivers

and try STO; good luck

ps: i have directx9c (downloaded from windows) and direct x11 installed (my os is win7 spc1)
    Post edited by sennahcherib on
    there is a small problem here with that i still get the d3d fatal error at load screen before character select no matter what i do the d3d fatal error occurs and i don't know how to honestly fix it so that i can get in and play the game. i've put in tickets to support i've done all i can and nothing i do gets me past the d3d fatal error pop up error
    rsoblivion wrote: »
    For everyone getting stuck with a crash at the character load screen due to DX11, just go to:

x:\Install Directory...\Star Trek Online\Live\localdata

Edit the gameprefs.pref with notepad and find PrefEntry GfxSettings.DeviceType Direct3D11

Change to:

PrefEntry GfxSettings.DeviceType Direct3D9Ex

or

PrefEntry GfxSettings.DeviceType Direct3D9

That will initiate the game in DX9 or DX9 extended modes and prevent the DX11 error crash.

I don't have the PrefEntry GfxSettings.DeviceType Direct3D11 entry to replace... So I tried simply adding in PrefEntry GfxSettings.DeviceType Direct3D9 because after an entire day of trying fixes (all of the fixes in this thread and a few found elsewhere), I figured I'd just start shooting in the dark. No dice. I'm at my wit's end.

well this d3dfatal error is still a problem for me and i see that perfect world entertainment hasn't even bothered to fix it or try to fix it. so much for hoping i would ever be able to play sto again. now that i have updated to windows 10 i'm screwed
  • quepanquepan Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    yeah apparently there more concerned with play testing new stories rather than trying to fix this issue that they caused with the 9/3/15 patch , after messing with my pref file i worked in the dx9 settings , using the console commands to force it not to use DX11 or 9ex and use DX9 , while its hit or miss if i can get it to work , when i first get in the shard i have 2 to 3 FPS for like 5 min while the client does whatever it does. Also i have a issue with the actual drop downs in game for the direct ex modes GONE. multiple tickets , one for the Client not responding and for the missing option in the UI . which go unanswered or even acknowledged. again i will say this , 5 yr old game still needs to maintain access for older hardware and not force customers to buy new hardware for a game we already invested in . once hardware works with a application it should continue to work and not stop because they added some new shiny GFX feature or default running mode .
  • kuvok#4339 kuvok Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Still with this direct3D error and crashes on cryptic screen? Its been weeks! How do you uninstall STO and reload without losing your game data? Will this solve problem?
    I just bought a new ship god damn it! Ive got TRIBBLE to do, galaxies to explore and what not. Ive tried bypassing launcher and that stuff. Who has a solution?
    Cryptic owes compensation here to its loyal fans this is ridiculous get it fixed already! Free Zen for everyone...
  • quepanquepan Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    well ive given up , ive decided to build a new rig, Cryptic has this last chance to keep me as a customer , I enjoy the game mechanics , the story, but there are other options out there to immerse me in a sci fi universe that a new rig has open the doors for .
  • hypodemicushypodemicus Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    AAARRRG!
    Same error with me at the load screen. Only STO crashes, all other games i tested run perfect.
    And yes, i read about all threads i could find (here and in internet) about it, no solution until now.
    I upgraded my system, so i guess that somehow started the problem. Due to the reworking of the PC i played the last 2 months on laptop, so if any patch was the culprit, i may have missed the causality.
    Since i use the same OS (win 7 64 SP1) and graphics card as before, i doubt that my graphic card is broken. I did replace mainboard, CPU and HD, but how that will give me a divx-error, i don´t know.
    Of course all drivers are up to date ect.
    I tried about 10 different approaches, but only working solution is to start in safe mode.
    Alas, i thought the new PC intestines would give me a better STO gameplay... :disappointed:
  • ultimaalpha1ultimaalpha1 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    > @magnocartic said:
    > I have been playing this game since closed beta and have never had a problem until now. It seems this error has been going on for a while and NONE of the devs have addressed the issue. I've submitted multiple tickets and still NOTHING. I paid $300 for the lifetime membership in addition to the cost of the game itself and can no longer play it because of this error issue. I can't even get past the Iconian splash screen

If I were in your position I would consider submitting a chargeback aka disputing the charges claiming that I was sold a defective product and/or service.
  • ultimaalpha1ultimaalpha1 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    This defect is why I am forced to now play Star Wars The Old Republic exclusively rather than interchangeably with this game like I used to.