Options

Expansion 2: Delta Rising

Comments

• Options
    pompoulusspompouluss Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    venkou wrote: »
    Suggestion only...

If you do not like what is being released, the best thing to do is to not play. Why invest time and money into something that makes you mad? While I would like "Star Trek: Online" to step away from the grinds, I have come to accept that the game will never have depth. Cryptic has a right to do whatever they desire. Instead of posting our feedback, the best solution would be to step away. If Cryptic cannot figure out what players want, the end result will be of their own creation.

Other words, don't own Cryptic's mess. Regardless about what Cryptic may ask, the players are not responsible for the company's success or failure. Capitalism is a two way street.

Unless people start voting with their wallet, Cryptic will continue to pump out awkward ideas.

Cryptic has vocally shown they do not want our ideas. Its that simple.

Sometimes you have to let people make mistakes.

Let Cryptic quietly rise and fall without help.

Its not our responsibility.

Absolutely. I would hope this generally goes without saying.

I'm not big into the whining, in fact I find it pretty annoying and useless and I think it drowns out legitimate criticism. But I would not confuse that with 'buy Cryptic or go home'.

You go into a store and look at a watch. Maybe it's a great watch, and you buy it. Maybe it's too expensive or it looks like a crappy watch, so you don't. Either way, getting super upset about it seems pretty unnecessary. You don't gotta buy the watch. Nobody can tell you you gotta buy the watch. Sometimes a dude just chooses not to buy something, life goes on.
  • Options
    macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited August 2014
    pompouluss wrote: »
    Absolutely. I would hope this generally goes without saying.

I'm not big into the whining, in fact I find it pretty annoying and useless and I think it drowns out legitimate criticism. But I would not confuse that with 'buy Cryptic or go home'.

You go into a store and look at a watch. Maybe it's a great watch, and you buy it. Maybe it's too expensive or it looks like a crappy watch, so you don't. Either way, getting super upset about it seems pretty unnecessary. You don't gotta buy the watch. Nobody can tell you you gotta buy the watch. Sometimes a dude just chooses not to buy something, life goes on.

Except that ST is cherished by many fans and STO is the only official living Trek left. So we get worked up about it. This argument you are making can be used to dismiss all dissent and critique which makes it invalid in my book.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    cohas79cohas79 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    So far so good I can't wait
    Have No Fear! Cohas is Here!
  • Options
    venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Exactly. Exactly.

When I go into Best Buy, I judge a movie or game based upon its description. If the product's description grabs my attention, the last thing I look at is its price. - If the product's description does not grab my attention, I quietly move onto some other item. I do not stand and protest in the middle of Best Buy.

Once Cryptic's new product line is released, the only thing I can suggest is to read its description.

Cryptic's failures and successes are not our responsibility.

Sometimes the best solution is to remove ourselves from the equation.
  • Options
    wilvwilv Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    *nods*

Within hindsight, I think that is all we can do. Once players have enough information, they will ultimately and quietly make up their own minds. Regardless about what is posted on Twitter, Facebook, and the Forums, the end product will convince players to stay or leave.

*speaking to everyone in general*

Its not our responsibility for what happens to "Star Trek: Online".

Don't own Cryptic's problems.

Let them learn on their own.

"Star Trek", as a franchise, will outlive the likes of "Star Trek: Online". If you want to send a message to CBS, the best thing to do is to vote with your wallet. Sometimes you have to look past the logo.

This is all well and good IF you honestly don't care what happens to the game. Problem is some of us DO care. Some of us are passionate about this game, have formed relationships with the players and team members and want to see it have a long and healthy life.

Having said that, I'm not going to shell out money for something I don't like. That's why I haven't purchased much of anything from the C-store since the Scimitar and why I've ignored every single LB with the exception of the temporal and Tal Shiar boxes.
  • Options
    ereiidereiid Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Yes, they were known for making extremely customized experience, with player choice above everything else.

Cosmetic stuff, sure.

But actual gameplay? Were you around for the several massive rounds of Player Rebalancing Nerf DOOOM! that ran through the first few seasons of CoH?
  • Options
    venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    wilv wrote: »
    This is all well and good IF you honestly don't care what happens to the game. Problem is some of us DO care...
    Have you ever heard the phrase, "if you truly love someone, you have no problem with letting the person go"? As long as people continue to fund "Star Trek: Online", CBS will continue to keep making the same mistakes.

How will CBS and Cryptic learn?

Conundrum? Absolutely.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    ereiid wrote: »
    Cosmetic stuff, sure.

But actual gameplay? Were you around for the several massive rounds of Player Rebalancing Nerf DOOOM! that ran through the first few seasons of CoH?

Well that always happens, but CoH at least catered to multiple playstyles. I mean, even in the early days it had playable PvP.
  • Options
    pompoulusspompouluss Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    macronius wrote: »
    Except that ST is cherished by many fans and STO is the only official living Trek left. So we get worked up about it. This argument you are making can be used to dismiss all dissent and critique which makes it invalid in my book.

I'm not the one dismissing critique, I think we both know that. Over the years consistent nerd hostility and unpleasant business decisions have poisoned customer/vendor relations to the point of near nonexistence. It is Cryptic that now dismisses critique, I doubt you'd disagree with Venkou or I that neither Cryptic nor PWE care what you think. All you are doing with your barbs is stinging the low level grunts who do still care and work hard creating basic assets and have little say in the direction the game takes. The broad business plan will remain unchanged unless cash flow and cash flow alone changes it. The criticism might go to some use in that it may lead to this or that tweak or change, but the hostility is at best directed at people who don't care because they don't care. It's pointless.

As for Trek itself, I love Star Trek too, but this is not Star Trek. Star Trek is a collection of ideas connected by a web of common characters and elements. This is a video game, a single tangible product, and you should have known from the start that hitching your wagon entirely to it was unwise. It was only ever a decent video game made by middle of the road developers, and now it's also sinking. All I want is to enjoy it a little before it breathes its last. All you seem to want is to kick it in the ribs while it's writhing in its death throes. That's where we are now. I can't and wouldn't stop you but I do sincerely wish you'd stop.
  • Options
    macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited August 2014
    I'm not the one dismissing critique, I think we both know that. Over the years consistent nerd hostility and unpleasant business decisions have poisoned customer/vendor relations to the point of near nonexistence. It is Cryptic that now dismisses critique, I doubt you'd disagree with Venkou or I that neither Cryptic nor PWE care what you think. All you are doing with your barbs is stinging the low level grunts who do still care and work hard creating basic assets and have little say in the direction the game takes. ...

I disagree with this premise. If players would use their dollars wisely and not buy into X2 ridiculous cash grabs it might cause a change. I think there are a couple of problems here:

1. Players keep doing the grinds (though activity has gone down significantly with Season 8/9)
    2. Players keep spending money on cash grabs and shameless P2W (I used to buy c store ships and a few consoles ... pay to compete but I kept it modest 20 a month ... stopped last year with grind-a-versery announcement)

I think actions speak louder than words and I hope players take them to task. I mean how can they justify delaying the content but releasing X2 with T6 monetization + inevitable lock box and other P2W TRIBBLE.

Really ... T6 to do Hive / ICE for the thousandth time?
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited August 2014
    still no video for the dev panel announcement or the Q&A session?
  • Options
    ussinterceptussintercept Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Have you ever heard the phrase, "if you truly love someone, you have no problem with letting the person go"? As long as people continue to fund "Star Trek: Online", CBS will continue to keep making the same mistakes.

How will CBS and Cryptic learn?

Conundrum? Absolutely.

Wrong. If CBS sees a major drop in interest in things that are Star Trek. Its just as likely theyll stop producing or greenlighting the production of Star Trek things.

The decades of the IPs existence wont always be able to protect it from being canned for good.
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    So basically what everyone is saying and what devs are saying the Tier 6 ships will basically have special powers a T5 won't. Although like most releases of iconic ships these T6 ones will have special powers that are just gimmicks and do not actually have any power to the power as it was in canon. So I guess that is what geko meant when he said trust me we will take care of you lol. The one part of aux2bat being nerfed is like our negh'vars we don't have any decent universal slots so those of us who use ships like that using cannons will have to resort to stacking up cannon cd reduction doffs. Although from how this sounds though I might just keep what I have now and not do anything besides log in once in awhile to look at the ships lol among feeling ripped off with this T6 stuff the game is just one boring rep after another with not much at all changing in between.

I saw those concept art pictures and I gotta say they look horrible... just saying. It is kinda like giving critisism to a dead corpse and asking why did his pancakes taste horrible? Well he was dead and couldn't take them off the stove before they burnt up and they were horrible. The issue on this topic though is that they gotta pay ppl for using what they had made in Trek and they don't want to have to do that so they want ppl to just say this is now trek whatever we do even though it is not even remotely or even resembling something Star Trek.
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    lan451 wrote: »
    That Fed ship is hilariously bad. The KDF ship looks nice, about what I would expect from a Klingon ship.

Heh ... while I'm mildly intrigued by the Fed ship, to me the KDF ship looks like a nerf-gun dart with wings .
    I'd also be more interested in the alien ships if I didn't know that I'll end up doing the Borg Stf's with them as well .
  • Options
    namreefnamreef Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    That comment and that entire line of thinking is great because it falls right in line with the wonderful spin Geko was rocking about how no ship will be left behind.

But hey, guys, remember that other spin they were selling at the big reveal?

Remember that stuff about how they want to infuse a lot more challenge into the content? Making things super duper harder?

How's that jibe with T5 being slightly less but still "competitive" to T6?

Like when they totally rock the new super duper NIGHTMARE mode, who's going to want to experience it in a Tier 5.LESS ship when they could get through the content in a Tier 6 ship?

I don't know. It just seems like there's conflicting philosophies of design at work. Like the left hand and the right hand might be at cross purposes. Now, I'm not one to dwell on the past, BUT ... that is something Cryptic has had problems with in the past.

But hey, whatevs! T5 will be fine. I'm sure. Totally. They got our back. Just like they did with trait revamps! And the Galaxy revamp. And ...

Then I guess I've bought what he's selling, like every other time I've used RL$ to play this game. I would like to try the new difficulty in my current ships. I don't get a thrill from melting NPCs from the helm of my
  • Options
    namreefnamreef Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    That comment and that entire line of thinking is great because it falls right in line with the wonderful spin Geko was rocking about how no ship will be left behind.

But hey, guys, remember that other spin they were selling at the big reveal?

Remember that stuff about how they want to infuse a lot more challenge into the content? Making things super duper harder?

How's that jibe with T5 being slightly less but still "competitive" to T6?

Like when they totally rock the new super duper NIGHTMARE mode, who's going to want to experience it in a Tier 5.LESS ship when they could get through the content in a Tier 6 ship?

I don't know. It just seems like there's conflicting philosophies of design at work. Like the left hand and the right hand might be at cross purposes. Now, I'm not one to dwell on the past, BUT ... that is something Cryptic has had problems with in the past.

But hey, whatevs! T5 will be fine. I'm sure. Totally. They got our back. Just like they did with trait revamps! And the Galaxy revamp. And ...

Then I guess I've bought what he's selling, like every other time I've used RL$ to play this game. I would actually like to try the new difficulty in my current ships. I don't get a thrill from melting NPCs from the helm of my
  • Options
    ereiidereiid Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Well that always happens, but CoH at least catered to multiple playstyles. I mean, even in the early days it had playable PvP.

Holdup. Bustedass Arena that didn't even work for about a season or two? Superhero bases that never actually took off?

I mean - it's entirely plausible our reminscences of it are different, but PvP balance in that game took a long while to even try and approach parity.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Oooh. That's problematic, since they already said at the Q&A that new content is being held off on until after release. They promised plenty of repeatable content. But story content they teased is going to have to wait until after they have the time and resources.

Wait ... so X2 is going for the S.9.5 skeleton 'feel' as far as story is concerned?
  • Options
    ussinterceptussintercept Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    Wait ... so X2 is going for the S.9.5 skeleton 'feel' as far as story is concerned?

Its more then likely revamping of numerous systems already in game and a buy now gimmick to get ahold of all of a specific Factions new T6 ships.

So all that nonsense Tacofangs was going on about 'doing it again' in reference to LoR was smoke being blown up our.....
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Its not our responsibility for what happens to "Star Trek: Online".

Don't own Cryptic's problems.

Let them learn on their own.

There be two problems with that :

1) The ego's of certain Cryptic employees .

2) The disconnect that exists in this game between what you buy and what you play .

You don't buy playable content, thus there is no direct link between the playable content and your money .
    This simply translates into: you buy shinies and fill their pockets and they can do whatever the hell they want .

That's the deal .

.... and that is why they can learn little to nothing from players leaving as to them that translates to: " they didn't like our latest lockbox" ...
  • Options
    vhiranikosvhiranikos Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Game will continue apace, but all the conflicting news (game will be harder, t6 ships with abilities built into the ship instead of consoles, you'll have to retrofit your retrofits, expansion story will be experienced via repeatable content) overall isn't good. Truth is Cryptic messes up. A lot. This will be a very rough ride.
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    vhiranikos wrote: »
    Game will continue apace, but all the conflicting news (game will be harder, t6 ships with abilities built into the ship instead of consoles, you'll have to retrofit your retrofits, expansion story will be experienced via repeatable content) overall isn't good. Truth is Cryptic messes up. A lot. This will be a very rough ride.
    Which is completely canon. =p
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    Which is completely canon. =p

Which thankfully STO is not. Because at the rate Cryptic is TRIBBLE up Star Trek with their nonsense, at this point I rather see JJ take the helm.
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I have just 2 questions:

- the lock bock weapons will be updated? i like the visual of my elachi DHC, and i don't want to change them :P

- can we expect a small faction outside the allegiances?; i'm tired to play always under the federation or the klingon empire. this could be interesting to play as a smuggler or a pirate.
  • Options
    diotwdiotw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I do find it a little mind boggling that Cryptic dropped a bombshell like the T6 ships announcement, without a single accompanying Dev Blog to provide a few details and some context. Did they honestly not expect the fans to freak out? :confused:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This character is why I don't play my Romulan any more. Tovan Khev is NOT my BFF! Get him off my bridge!
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I have just 2 questions:

- the lock bock weapons will be updated? i like the visual of my elachi DHC, and i don't want to change them :P

You will have the option to make them "better" (isn't that how they put it?).
    - can we expect a small faction outside the allegiances?; i'm tired to play always under the federation or the klingon empire. this could be interesting to play as a smuggler or a pirate.

No.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    You will have the option to make them "better" (isn't that how they put it?).
    Tier 5 ships yes but I'm pretty sure nothing was mentioned about weapons. And I see no reason why they would. Because it would impact on their Zen sales as people blindly try and grab the new shiny stuff.
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• Options
    matridunadan1matridunadan1 Member Posts: 579 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Which thankfully STO is not. Because at the rate Cryptic is TRIBBLE up Star Trek with their nonsense, at this point I rather see JJ take the helm.
    That's like saying it would be better for Uwe Boll to take over the Transformers movies...

... Which, at this point, would only improve it.

EDIT: Best. Post Number. EVAR!
  • Options
    firekeeperhufirekeeperhu Member Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    sqwished wrote: »
    Tier 5 ships yes but I'm pretty sure nothing was mentioned about weapons. And I see no reason why they would. Because it would impact on their Zen sales as people blindly try and grab the new shiny stuff.

the only possible way i can think of to get mk xiii/xiv box weapons, is buying weapon boxes, and opening them up after you hit lvl60. but no guarantee it'll work.
    <3 Defiant <3

RnD and upgrade needs less RNG. Less lottery. Something has to change.
  • Options
    sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2014
    wilv wrote: »
    How long have you been playing? I've been playing since beta and there is NO preventing player rage. As sure as the sky is blue it is a certainty that players will rage. With every announcement players WILL rage... We all knew that the con would most likely be the time and place for them to announce the next expansion, whenever one came up. It's how they announced the Dyson sphere and how they announced Legacy of Romulus.

Also, if they stay true to form we'll start seeing new devblogs outlining the expansion in a few weeks, if not sooner. And they will most likely explain everything we need to know. After the last two cons it was a steady steam of devblogs explaining everything down to costume creation, so be patient.

Sarcasm aside, I understand that it's not possible to please everyone and I never claimed it would stop all the rage going on, but they should have at least had modicum of common sense and got the first Dev blog out the second the TRIBBLE hit the fan. But no in true cryptic style they let it sit and fester over the weekend then wonder why people turn on the Devs.

All the odd comments made by the various Dev's in this thread are nothing more than a poor attempt at damage control. But what they're doing isn't just impacting a small percentage of the player base its affecting every single player with a toon of at least lvl 50. And be under no illusion once they roll this out they'll do it time and time again.

The excuse that it'll curb power creep is pathetic all it'll do is put it back several months a year at the most. The power creep that they and a lot of people complain about is down to cryptic.

All that aside I really wish they could have heard or read our fleet/Allied chat over the weekend. Because I've never seen some many people so pee'd off about a single thing as this. And I'm talking well over 500 people across three or four different fleets.

And as for the Dev's comment about "They'll look after us", sorry but they are but hollow words. They'll TRIBBLE us first chance they get, they always do. Introduction of the rep system, the trait revamp after so many players dragged countless toons through multiple reps, The crafting mat conversion (Namely the blue items) and now this.

Despite my instincts telling me this isn't going to be pretty, I'm hoping that we'll come out of the other end in decent condition. And any who thinks that we wont get shafted with this expansion is either blind to the reality of it or just doesn't want to see.
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!