Install Arc
Options

Expansion 2: Delta Rising

Comments

• Options
    gamer940gamer940 Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    gurugeorge wrote: »
    Well, this all seems surprisingly positive.

As always with STO announcements - cautiously optimistic. I'm sure whatever it is, even if it falls short of all this proposed goodness, it will at least keep me playing the game, or at the very least, keep coming back to it, as a familiar fun place.

Not cautiously optimistic here, just straight up optimistic.

The way I see it, if the PvPers and DPS number-crunchers want to quit, good riddance to them. It would just be less whining.
  • Options
    johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Meh.

Brb, going to the Doom thread. This is single handedly the worst news i've heard - merely weeks after the implementation of the terrible new crafting system, which already takes too long to max out considering it's just a "Slot project, quit game, repeat" affair, we're now looking at more "content" which will probably last no more than a day, tops, and we'll be expected to tough it out for another six months before more content comes out.

To top that off, all the Zen spent on Lockbox, Lobi, Special Event and C-Store ships is now wasted; And yes, I did read what CrypticQuack has said. Provisions? I'd bet my bottom dollar those aren't going to be free. In fact, i'd bet they're going to be nearly as expensive as the ships you're trying to upgrade. "We're going to take care of you"? Pssh.

Oh, and on top of all that - Rep Gear? Obselete. Fleet Gear? Obselete. Nice work on making two to four years of players work a waste of time and money, Cryptic.

I've practicaqlly got my foot out of the door already, and they haven't even gotten an official "this is how things will be" blog out yet. That's usually a bad sign. So thank you to everyone who whinged about getting the level cap raised - you're going to get your wish.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • Options
    woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    wilv wrote: »

7. Announcement that STF rewards were changing

If memory serves, we won that round. Though playing breaking the planet and klingon scout force again was quite nice.
  • Options
    sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2014
    I can EASILY recall at least 7 times the player base went all ape crazy and raged hard core.

1. Announcement that Death Penalty was going to be added to the game.

2. Announcement that the game was going F2P

4. Announcement that Cryptic was being sold

5. Announcement that LB were coming.

6. Announcement that Romulans would be an allied faction

7. Announcement that STF rewards were changing

Ok fair enough so lets put this in perspective from my point of view

Point 1 - Why shouldn't there be some penalty for dying in game? This being introduced was a given at some point. I'm just surprised it wasn't more severe. But I'm guessing this was before I bothered with the forums.

Point 2 - If the game hadn't gone F2P it would have probably died out long ago (but this can be termed as conjecture since we lack hard data to prove or disprove) but this doesn't or wont affect me personally until the end of August when my gold subscription expires. Whether this gets renewed or upgrade to a L/T entirely depends on how they handle X2

point 3 - Seems to have wondered off into the great unknown.

Point 4 - Atari was bleeding the game dry so again as mentioned above the game would have died if something hadn't have been done. I for one wasn't disappointed when they parted with Atari.

Point 5 - Not sure what LB is so I cant comment on that part.

Point 6 - The Romulans have added a new dimension to the game although I do get sick of all the calls for the race to be nerf'd and for items such as the Valdore console to be made game wide, just as the plasmonic leech was.

Point 7 - The STF rewards being cut was done purely to protect cryptics zen sales with the addition of the dilithium event weekends and the ridiculous amount of dilithium being made across the player base. As for the reason being that the rewards weren't easily understandable was nothing more than a joke. But personally across my 7 toons I've not really notice much of drop in dilithium income from this, since It's not my main source of dilithium.

But at the end of the day if cryptic loses any of it player base with this expansion and I'm saying they will. They'll have no one to blame but themselves. But when it comes to down to it if cryptic were to tell me its raining outside I'll stick my head outside to look for myself. Given the amount of times cryptic have gone back on their word or delivered sub standard work to holodeck despite people taking the time to test it on tribble take the time to write detailed bug reports and even offer suggestions on how to improve it. Then there's the constant release it then nerf it routine that's constantly going on when ever something new is released.

I'm not going to run round screaming that I'm going to quit. I'm going to wait and see what happens and hope that things work out for the best. But given everything I've seen happen with this game not to mention the amount of skilled and talented Dev's I've seen leave that Cryptic have done nothing to try and keep. I'm going to prepare for the worst possible out come. I've got my fingers crossed that in this case I'm wrong and your right.
    woodwhity wrote: »
    If memory serves, we won that round..

I wouldn't exactly say it was an out right win but we did get some concessions.
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• Options
    wilvwilv Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    woodwhity wrote: »
    If memory serves, we won that round. Though playing breaking the planet and klingon scout force again was quite nice.

Depends on who you mean by we. Many of the players who did over 300 runs of any one STF were certainly not happy that the rewards were turned into a rep grind instead.
  • Options
    wilvwilv Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    sqwished wrote: »
    Ok fair enough so lets put this in perspective from my point of view

Point 1 - Why shouldn't there be some penalty for dying in game? This being introduced was a given at some point. I'm just surprised it wasn't more severe. But I'm guessing this was before I bothered with the forums.

Point 2 - If the game hadn't gone F2P it would have probably died out long ago (but this can be termed as conjecture since we lack hard data to prove or disprove) but this doesn't or wont affect me personally until the end of August when my gold subscription expires. Whether this gets renewed or upgrade to a L/T entirely depends on how they handle X2

point 3 - Seems to have wondered off into the great unknown.

Point 4 - Atari was bleeding the game dry so again as mentioned above the game would have died if something hadn't have been done. I for one wasn't disappointed when they parted with Atari.

Point 5 - Not sure what LB is so I cant comment on that part.

Point 6 - The Romulans have added a new dimension to the game although I do get sick of all the calls for the race to be nerf'd and for items such as the Valdore console to be made game wide, just as the plasmonic leech was.

Point 7 - The STF rewards being cut was done purely to protect cryptics zen sales with the addition of the dilithium event weekends and the ridiculous amount of dilithium being made across the player base. As for the reason being that the rewards weren't easily understandable was nothing more than a joke. But personally across my 7 toons I've not really notice much of drop in dilithium income from this, since It's not my main source of dilithium.

But at the end of the day if cryptic loses any of it player base with this expansion and I'm saying they will. They'll have no one to blame but themselves. But when it comes to down to it if cryptic were to tell me its raining outside I'll stick my head outside to look for myself. Given the amount of times cryptic have gone back on their word or delivered sub standard work to holodeck despite people taking the time to test it on tribble take the time to write detailed bug reports and even offer suggestions on how to improve it. Then there's the constant release it then nerf it routine that's constantly going on when ever something new is released.

I'm not going to run round screaming that I'm going to quit. I'm going to wait and see what happens and hope that things work out for the best. But given everything I've seen happen with this game not to mention the amount of skilled and talented Dev's I've seen leave that Cryptic have done nothing to try and keep. I'm going to prepare for the worst possible out come. I've got my fingers crossed that in this case I'm wrong and your right.

I wouldn't exactly say it was an out right win but we did get some concessions.

You will get NO argument from me on the point that Cryptic has been unreliable more than once. In several occasions they have said one thing and done another. More than once they've taken player polls and ignored the results to do whatever they wanted anyway.

However, the team does try and give us some of what we ask for most of the time. For example, Death Penalty. Most of us were against it. I myself was one of the people raging against it in the forums. Only a small vocal group of elitist players wanted it. Cryptic invested time and money into it so clearly they couldn't just scrap it. But given the reception the project got from most of the player base they tried to do the next best thing. That was to make it optional, by linking it to the difficulty system. Not a perfect solution but at least it was something. No one was 100% happy but it was something.

Having said that, I'm not trying to argue the wherefore and why or vices and virtues of the examples I gave. They were merely some of the most vivid memories I have of the forums breaking out in total chaos over Dev announcements, since you said you'd "never seen some many people so pee'd off about a single thing as this". It's certainly not the first time and it will certainly not be the last.

BTW, LB is the abbreviation most of us use for Lock Boxes.
  • Options
    generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited August 2014
    ALL I wanted was......... a video...

Still no video from the announcement from the dev panel or the Q&A session???
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I've let this discussion veer off on its own tangent long enough.

It's time to bring this all back to the beginning.

Delta Rising?

What is rising? How does a quadrant rise? What is it rising above?

Until these questions are addressed, I don't even know how to conceptualize this expansion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    malkarrismalkarris Member Posts: 797 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    My thoughts, and guesswork.

First, I wish they had said if they were going to add more than ships. Well, I know they are adding more than ships, but more for us to buy than ships. I know ships sell, but costumes, weapons, anything?

Second, on the whole tier 6 ship thing, I'm thinking that Tier 6 will be like Fleet and tier 5 combined. So like fleet ships, they will have some innate bonus to the hull or console slots or something, so like maybe 11 console slots, and 5% hull and shields, but they will also have the special console or two like Tier 5 c-store ships have. As for the upgrade thing, I'm thinking its again going to be like fleet. If you have a Tier 5, or 5.5 or fleet, or lockbox ship, you can purchase some token that will give you access to a Tier 6-ish ship, that has the innate upgrades like 5% hull and the extra console slot, if that is what they are, but not any special consoles. I also expect that if you want to just buy the Tier 6 ship, you will be able to, but you have to use like 4 or 5 tokens, like with the existing fleet ships. I count on Cryptic to always leave me an out to spend money on.

Third, not said, but I really hope that these new missions are ones I can bring my boffs on. I mean, I get them all geared up and looking pretty, and then I can never take them out anywhere. They're starting to complain.

Fourth, I do want to know if the new stuff will be the only stuff at level 60, or will existing elite content be upgraded to level 60, or will there be a new super elite queue for level 60 stuff of existing queues.
    Joined September 2011
    Nouveau riche LTS member
  • Options
    sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2014
    since you said you'd "never seen some many people so pee'd off about a single thing as this".

What I said was I'd never seen so many people in our fleet and Allied chat channels pee'd off a single thing. I wasn't trying to speak for everyone in game. I was merely referring to people that I interact with almost on a daily basis. And its very rare that they all agree on the same point.
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I've let this discussion veer off on its own tangent long enough.

It's time to bring this all back to the beginning.

Delta Rising?

What is rising? How does a quadrant rise? What is it rising above?

Until these questions are addressed, I don't even know how to conceptualize this expansion.

Maybe it isn't actually about the Delta Quadrant, but about the rise of Delta space lines?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    valoreah wrote: »
    It would seem that Harry Kim's rank is rising?

That, or Harry's I]redacted[/I.
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Maybe it isn't actually about the Delta Quadrant, but about the rise of Delta space lines?

Interesting. I can see things better taking shape. Definitely. I did assume that it was the quadrant, and you're right, it could be something else entirely. Food for thought.
    It would seem that Harry Kim's rank is rising? If one of the big announcements is Jeri Ryan coming onboard to reprise Seven of Nine, I can think of something else that will be rising.

Another pair of good points!

Ok ... now we're getting somewhere!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    ALL I wanted was......... a video...

Still no video from the announcement from the dev panel or the Q&A session???
    Mav said that he'd have a video up on Monday (which is today), so you should just wait a little while longer. It should be ready some time this afternoon.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    tilarium1979tilarium1979 Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It would seem that Harry Kim's rank is rising? If one of the big announcements is Jeri Ryan coming onboard to reprise Seven of Nine, I can think of something else that will be rising.

No no. If we learned one thing from STO, Starfleet will give even an Ensign command of a Starship. I for one am excited to see Garret Wong return as Ensign Harry Kim. It's a known fact that Admiral Janeway has used all her power to ensure that Kim will never be promoted past Ensign. After all, It makes no sense for the Chief of Ships Operation (you know, what Data did as well as being the Science officer) to be promoted past Ensign. The convicted felon, yes, it makes sense to promoted him twice.. Once out of prison and once after you demoted him!
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited August 2014
  • Options
    generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited August 2014
    Mav said that he'd have a video up on Monday (which is today), so you should just wait a little while longer. It should be ready some time this afternoon.

Good. Good. Good.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    The level cap. Duh. :P

Oh yeah. Good point as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wintiemintiewintiemintie Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'll bet 600 Quatloos that the price of C-Store ships will be rising, at least in the case of Tier 6 stuff. :P

500 zen probably. They seem to be going at 500 zen increments. 1000 at the most. So expect 3000 - 3500 zen per.
  • Options
    chiefbrexchiefbrex Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    Well the Intrepid model in the game is not entirely bad, its not good either and looks off and you start to notice the issues looking at the details.

Take a look at the bridge module, the one in the game is pretty much just a rectangle, lacks the details as the one in the picture clearly have them.

The bigger issues are in the underside of saucer and the deflector area that we cannot see the difference on that picture but this new model is a improvement over the old one.

yeah. I picked up an Intrepid in game after I posted that comment, and you're right. The Deflector on the ingame model is HORRIBLE. I hope they fixed it.
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    No no. If we learned one thing from STO, Starfleet will give even an Ensign command of a Starship. I for one am excited to see Garret Wong return as Ensign Harry Kim. It's a known fact that Admiral Janeway has used all her power to ensure that Kim will never be promoted past Ensign. After all, It makes no sense for the Chief of Ships Operation (you know, what Data did as well as being the Science officer) to be promoted past Ensign. The convicted felon, yes, it makes sense to promoted him twice.. Once out of prison and once after you demoted him!

Now now. Mr. Paris was the helmsman, ship designer, holodeck programmer, historian, and backup medic.
    While Ensign Kim had only one job to perform since coming out of the academy. Compared to the other bridge crew members he was about average. :P

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Everyone forget that the prime universe harry died, we have that double living his life!
  • Options
    pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    There's been so much nickel and diming and the pumping up of absurd prices on ships, its ridiculous that they're going to T6 ships and Mk XIV gear (which they said they would not do, as they'd go for a lateral movement, such as a complete mechanics change for T6 instead)
  • Options
    macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited August 2014
    There's been so much nickel and diming and the pumping up of absurd prices on ships, its ridiculous that they're going to T6 ships and Mk XIV gear (which they said they would not do, as they'd go for a lateral movement, such as a complete mechanics change for T6 instead)

To quote a certain character ... "Well, what they plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar."
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    --- Personally removed dumb joke. ---
  • Options
    lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm sure we have all seen these images.

1: The Engineering, Astrometrics, and Sickbay looks EXACTLY like Voyager! And I love that Voyager exteriour revamp! :D

2: The Kes outfit is also exact, and I love the faithful Talaxian face recreation. That particular jacket is rather bland for anything Neelix would wear, but most likely, not all Talaxians are as flamboyant with their attire.

3: That Hazari ship is BEAUTIFUL! :D

4: Kazon? KAZON? So now we have Delta Quadrant Klingons who never comb their hair. :mad:

5: That KDF ship is not much more than an obese Vor'Cha. :rolleyes:

6: That Starfleet ship is quite beautiful. I must admit that I hate how Starfleet has a fetish for Flying Spoon ship geometries. I love unique geometries like the Prometheus and Defiant (even though Defiant is nothing more than a reverse engineer of a Bugship) for the simple fact that it does NOT follow the standard-issue Flying Spoon design. To see the new Starfleet ship is not a Flying Spoon is a WELCOME break from tradition!
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • Options
    macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited August 2014
    I am sorry ... I was dazed by the Tron knock off masquerading as a Federation ship.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    qziqzaqziqza Member Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Hey everyone,

Those of you concerned with older ships becoming "obsolete". I would recommend holding off the pitchforks and torches and listen to the Q and A that will be happening soon.

We are going to take care of you guys.

Yup it has been a bit medieval around here lately, rumour has it that a small group of forum members have created a monster. Its made out of assumption, troll posts and essence of DoOM, all masterfully tied together with the sinew of past disagreements and grudges.

"Frankendev isnt real people, its just something made up to scare you!!"
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015