Install Arc
Options

Kill Captain Shon - bring on Data

Comments

• Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,281 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    I'm about to activate Auxiliary Power to my Foot in your Aft.
    A2FA iz OP, plz nerf

...sorry, had to do it
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    age03 wrote: »
    Watch where Kirks say nothing is real in here.It is 10:51.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4flM_skuv4
    So you take the personal quote of Captain Kirk, who acknowledges that everything in there is an illusion, and though he has enjoyed it, he knows and has known that it's not real (to him)... as proof that the Nexus's existance is unreal, period?

Sorry, but that doesn't add up imo
    venkou wrote: »
    Its about us.
    Yes, it is at the core... that is precisely why we'll benefit from having another Captain who isn't human :)

And disconnected from the franchise? Please, having one captain not be human (which is not the first case; see Spock) won't do that, and never will
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    nakedcrook wrote: »
    Seriously...how many people want some blue guy in command of The Enterprise?

Agreed. If Starfleet wants to hand the flagship over to a blue man he better be f$%^ing called Leader Dessler or you can forget it. None else are worthy.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    I'm about to activate Auxiliary Power to my Foot in your Aft.

Please, tell me more about this aux2foot build.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    diotwdiotw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It could be worse. They could have made Kurland Captain of the Enterprise. XD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This character is why I don't play my Romulan any more. Tovan Khev is NOT my BFF! Get him off my bridge!
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,281 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    diotw wrote: »
    It could be worse. They could have made Kurland Captain of the Enterprise. XD
    bite your tongue!

he's bad enough as captain of the defiant and DS0
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    diotwdiotw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    bite your tongue!

he's bad enough as captain of the defiant and DS0

Can you imagine though? Every other story mission would involve you flying to the Enterprise's rescue, and retaking the ship from whichever enemy had taken it over this time.

Seriously, how has Kurland not been drummed out of Starfleet for losing DS9 so many times in what is basically the space of a few months? >_<
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This character is why I don't play my Romulan any more. Tovan Khev is NOT my BFF! Get him off my bridge!
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Seriously, how has Kurland not been drummed out of Starfleet for losing DS9 so many times in what is basically the space of a few months? >_<

He has incriminating photos of Admiral Quinn at Tellarite Love Festival '07
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    gpgtxgpgtx Member Posts: 1,579 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    i think he has loss command of DS9 more times then voyager tampered with the temporal prime directive
    victoriasig_zps23c45368.jpg
  • Options
    oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    bergins wrote: »
    What about Archer?

Archer was in charge of the ship's Reset Button in that series.
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Good point it is about our Captians leave those other ones out.

Federation = United Nations
    Klingons = Vikings
    Romulans = Romans

Disagree with 1 thing. Klingons = Feudal Japan because of the great houses and bat'leths in place of katanas. You want vikings? Orions or gorn = Vikings.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Good point it is about our Captians leave those other ones out.

Federation = United Nations
    Klingons = Vikings
    Romulans = Romans

LOL @ Romans. You just picked that because it kinda sounds similar, right!? LOL @ Vikings too, btw.

Romulans have always represented Earth Asian people. And Klingons were the Russians. And the Federation, nothing so lofty as UN even: they were simply a representation of the USA. Subtelty was not one of Roddenberry's strong suits.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    LOL @ Romans. You just picked that because it kinda sounds similar, right!? LOL @ Vikings too, btw.

Romulans have always represented Earth Asian people. And Klingons were the Russians. And the Federation, nothing so lofty as UN even: they were simply a representation of the USA. Subtelty was not one of Roddenberry's strong suits.

TOS Klingons were Soviet Russians. TNG and DS9 Klingons were Samurai. Honor, fancy sword, all the tropes are there.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    TOS Klingons were Soviet Russians. TNG and DS9 Klingons were Samurai. Honor, fancy sword, all the tropes are there.

I suppose Klingons shifted more towards honor in TNG/DS9. Some elements are there, yes; but they're way, way too loud to remind me of Japanese people, though.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2014
    They just switched the characterisation of Klingons and Romulans around between TOS and TNG, from sneaky pragmatic soldiers to honour bound warriors, and from honour bound warriors to sneaky pragmatic soldiers. YMMV on which was an improvement.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I suppose Klingons shifted more towards honor in TNG/DS9. Some elements are there, yes; but they're way, way too loud to remind me of Japanese people, though.

Apparently you've never seen a samurai in combat. Louder than most people.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited April 2014

you dont know much about the roman empire did you?

Centurions and Praetors are part of the roman ranking system..... hell, the Romulans main homeworlds were taken directly from Roman mythology.

Romulus and Remus were brothers raised by wolves who helped found the roman empire.
  • Options
    jockey1979jockey1979 Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    talonxv wrote: »
    Apparently you've never seen a samurai in combat. Louder than most people.

People should watch this I think, some scenes would have fit Michael Dorn perfectly ;)
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    tenkari wrote: »
    you dont know much about the roman empire did you?

Centurions and Praetors are part of the roman ranking system..... hell, the Romulans main homeworlds were taken directly from Roman mythology.

Romulus and Remus were brothers raised by wolves who helped found the roman empire.

Nailed it in one.
    afMSv4g.jpg

• Options
    edited April 2014
    talonxv wrote: »
    Nailed it in one.

thanks. i'm a mythology geek and i really like historic stuff about wars and battles, so i know a bit about roman and greece, not a lot, but enough to know how the Romulan star Empire and the Roman Empire are related.... as opposed to thinking it's even remotely related to asians.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    jockey1979 wrote: »
    People should watch this I think, some scenes would have fit Michael Dorn perfectly ;)

Exactly! When not in combat they can be very reserverd, though they can be just as boisterous as anybody else. Get them in combat, hollering at the top of their lungs.
    afMSv4g.jpg

• Options
    moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Can you imagine though? Every other story mission would involve you flying to the Enterprise's rescue, and retaking the ship from whichever enemy had taken it over this time.

Sisko lost DS9 three times.

We can't really fault Kurland without faulting Sisko. We fault Sisko, Bajor is gonna be very very cross.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Sisko lost DS9 three times.

We can't really fault Kurland without faulting Sisko. We fault Sisko, Bajor is gonna be very very cross.

yes, but he lost it several times over the course of several years... kurland lost it several times in a matter of months.
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Who are "Earth Asian people" is there some secret alliance I missed ... afaik lots of Asian Nations hate each other (different cultures etc) ... please educate me ... as others said : Of course they're "Space Romans", now even more than ever, because they switched from "Romulan Empire" to "Romulan Republic" ...

As for Klingons being Vikings ... more like Vikings crossed with Aztecs (certainly no reason to LOL, though ... never heard of any Russian saying "Today is a good day to die" ... and afaik they're basically Christians, they don't talk much about Honor and they don't go to "Warrior Heaven" or "Valhalla" or "Highest Aztec Heaven" ...)

As for FEDs being the US ... LOL ... guess that's why they tell us in every second Trek Episode, how "stupid" these people were back in the days ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    tenkari wrote: »
    yes, but he lost it several times over the course of several years... kurland lost it several times in a matter of months.

I don't think the time really matters to Starfleet as much as the fact that it just keeps getting taken.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I don't think the time really matters to Starfleet as much as the fact that it just keeps getting taken.

apparently DS9's just a popular place, so popular everyone wants it. XD
  • Options
    edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    venkou wrote: »
    I would love to see Data come back.

Cryptic just doesn't know how to write stories about 'the human condition'.

Thank god "Star Trek: Online" is not hard canon.

We should tell cryptic to make an episode like "THE MEASURE OF A MAN". One of the best episodes ever. And the extended version is eve better lol.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I wouldn't mind seein data return, but by this point he should be an Admiral, not a Captain. I wouldn't mind if Data rode along Enterprise using her as his FLAGSHIP while Shon still was the captain.

Wouldn't mind that in the least, but Data flat out replacing Shon as captain, no. Sorry Shon has paid the Iron price for command of that ship. He deserves it IMHO. I mean really enterprise gets tied down to A LOT of flag showing jobs which are BORING.

Hell even the Ent D didn't really do exploration missions. It was more of "go here, be the federation presence, solve X problem, then move along."
    afMSv4g.jpg

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Who are "Earth Asian people" is there some secret alliance I missed ... afaik lots of Asian Nations hate each other (different cultures etc) ... please educate me ...

Gladly. :)

When Roddenberry wrote the Romulans (TOS), his world consisted of pretty much 3 Factions: USA, aka the good guys, the bad Soviet Russians (= Klingons), and the mysterious Asian 'yellow' race, aka the Romulans. It is wholly irrelevant that Asian nations, amongst themselves, hate/love too. Only thing that matters is that Roddenberry modeled TOS after his simplified, tripartite world view. Like I said, nuance was far to be found.
    as others said : Of course they're "Space Romans", now even more than ever, because they switched from "Romulan Empire" to "Romulan Republic" ...

News flash: having a Republic does not make one a Roman. In fact, other than the ancient Romans having switched to a Republic, at one point, instead of Empires, Romans and Romulans have as good as nothing in common.
    As for Klingons being Vikings ... more like Vikings crossed with Aztecs (certainly no reason to LOL, though ... never heard of any Russian saying "Today is a good day to die" ... and afaik they're basically Christians, they don't talk much about Honor and they don't go to "Warrior Heaven" or "Valhalla" or "Highest Aztec Heaven" ...)

That's because they're not real Russians. :P Or Vikings, for that matter. Klingons eventually turned into an admixture of many cultures. Roddenberry nonetheless had Soviet Russians in mind when he created the Klingons.
    As for FEDs being the US ... LOL ... guess that's why they tell us in every second Trek Episode, how "stupid" these people were back in the days ...

Actually, yes, that is precisely why. :) It's part of Trek's less than subtle, and often patronizing, way of keeping a mirror in front of us. When we see a Ferengi, we're supposed to think: "OMG! What a monet-grubbing low lives they are! Oh wait... that's us!" Yep, lacking in subtlety, for sure; but that's Trek for you.
    3lsZz0w.jpg