Install Arc
Options

Kill Captain Shon - bring on Data

Comments

• Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    foundrelic wrote: »
    And if you want to look in game.... well, lets be honest our captains aren't exactly perfect either.

Some of us are basically just killing machines.
    Don't disupute that. Why my captain got the Battlecruiser Nike(reference Honor Harrington HMS Nike) instead of the Enterprise. And personally, I'd rather carve out my own legend and make USS Nike a legend just as big as Enterprise.
    My problem with Shon is that he got offered the Enterprise instead of me. Did Starfleet even bother to think about my candidacy? I did most of the work during the Siege of DS9. All Shon did was lose his ship. If that's all it takes to get the Enterprise, I should have been made Captain when my first command was overrun by Borg. Do you know how many times my ship has blown up? TONS! Breen, Borg, Dominion, Cardassian, Klingon, Voth, Romulan, even the damn Undine have totaled my ride! Still didn't get an invite to move my crew to the Defiant or Voyager!

I swear, if I'm not top of the list for the Enterprise G, I am sooooooo defecting to the Terran Universe. My counterpart commands the I.S.S. Voyager C.

Granted, he did brutally murder Commander Neelix to do it.

But he did deserve to die. Mirror Neelix is horrifying. His idea of boosting morale was Zero gravity Hunger Games in the lower decks. With a very savage Seven of Nine as a ringer.

Why must everybody want to Captain the Enterprise? My god forge your own legend to rival the Enterprise! When my time is said and done, I want it said that USS Nike is THE battlecruiser command of the Federation fleet.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    age03 wrote: »
    that is because Spock was regenerated in the Gensis Planet and if he did diie it sure would of been the End of Star Trek.

@edwardianed
    You have no idea of what you are talking about.

actually.... from the "apocrypha"section of data's entry in memory alpha specifically states:
    The comic book series Star Trek: Countdown, a tie-in to the 2009 Star Trek film, depicts Data as alive in 2387, having successfully imprinted his neural nets onto B-4's programming; at one point, Spock, who was also brought back to life after dying, makes a note of the incredibly unique life experience the two share. In the comic, Data had become captain of the Enterprise-E; along with Captain Picard, his face is seen in the film's comic adaptation, in which the Delta Vega mind-meld scene is depicted with a collage of images from Countdown. This promotion to captain is one of the pieces of trivia that appears on loading screens in Star Trek Online.

So, in STO he's alive.
  • Options
    moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    talonxv wrote: »

Why must everybody want to Captain the Enterprise? My god forge your own legend to rival the Enterprise! When my time is said and done, I want it said that USS Nike is THE battlecruiser command of the Federation fleet.

Duh, because alien chicks dig crew members of the Enterprise. Think about how many women slept with members of the Enterprise.

Now think about how many women slept with crew members from Voyager, the Defiant or any other ship.

Yeah, Enterprise is a lady magnet. Chicks are all hot for legacies. Just ask the Romulans.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    tenkari wrote: »
    actually.... from the "apocrypha"section of data's entry in memory alpha specifically states:

So, in STO he's alive.

Hell if you go to the STO wiki and look up Data or the Enterprise E, you will find listed that Data did infact command the Ent E. So far as STO is concerned, Data lived, captained the Enterprise E and brought her home to be decomissioned.

Infact in a side story when Shon was offered the Enterprise F, he went and talked to Data about accepting command and IIRC Data gave his blessings. Infact if I further recall, Data by that point had retired.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Well Captain Shon took some time to get use too, but still not a bad guy. Strong and alert! He might make admiral one day and takeover Star Fleet Operations.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • Options
    mhirtescmhirtesc Member Posts: 581 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    If we were going to use the Countdown comic as canon for the game, wouldn't Worf be dead (killed by Nero)?

OMG! STO WORF IS AN UNDINE!!!!!
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Duh, because alien chicks dig crew members of the Enterprise. Think about how many women slept with members of the Enterprise.

Now think about how many women slept with crew members from Voyager, the Defiant or any other ship.

Yeah, Enterprise is a lady magnet. Chicks are all hot for legacies. Just ask the Romulans.

IIRC the only members of the enterprise crew that ever got laid were:
    Archer
    Tucker(even got pregnate while being a MAN! :eek: )
    Kirk
    Picard
    Riker
    Data
    Troi

That's about it.
    afMSv4g.jpg

• Options
    tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    mhirtesc wrote: »
    If we were going to use the Countdown comic as canon for the game, wouldn't Worf be dead (killed by Nero)?

OMG! STO WORF IS AN UNDINE!!!!!

actually, it was said worf survived the attack, but barely.
  • Options
    edwardianededwardianed Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Archer
    Kirk
    Picard
    Riker
    Data
    Troi

That's about it.

Dr Crusher got freaky with that Scottish "ghost".
  • Options
    vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Archer
    Kirk
    Picard
    Riker
    Data
    Troi

That's about it.

No, not quite:

Tasha to Data "The Naked Now" (Hell, the whole crew could have done the nasty in one big orgy for all we know on that episode)
    Worf to his klingon wife (resulting In Alexander),who later died , Troi, Jadzia
    Beverly Crusher to that Ghost alien thing - still counts :P
    O'Brien to Keiko, resulting in Molly
    Keiko to O'Brien "
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Archer
    Kirk
    Picard
    Riker
    Data
    Troi

That's about it.

Worf, Tasha Yar, Spock's Body, Alternate Spock, Alternate Kirk, Beverly Crusher, Wesley Crusher because Marty Sue, Reginald Barclay in the holo deck and Spot.

BOOM. Enterprise gets the booty.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    nakedcrook wrote: »
    Seriously...how many people want some blue guy in command of The Enterprise?

It is generally assumed that The Enterprise E was lost or decommissioned before the commissioning of The Enterprise F, but it is also believed that Data is still alive as of 2409. So here is my question - if Data is still alive...why is Shon in command of The Enterprise F? Wouldn;t Data be the obvious choice?
    Many-many-many new fans do not understand the core reason why "Star Trek" exists. When Cryptic put an alien in the captain's chair, they turned "Star Trek" into a "Star Wars" franchise. Cryptic spat in the face of Roddenberry.

"Star Trek" was originally about 'the human experience', and its ability to overcome impossible obstacles. Enterprise was a testament to humanity's ingenuity, desire, and curiosity.

Once Cryptic put an alien in charge, they took away what was special about the franchise and ship.

Cryptic does not understand what "Star Trek" is about.

Cryptic jumped on the bandwagon, so they can milk the franchise to hell.

Cryptic = Poseurs
  • Options
    edwardianededwardianed Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    venkou wrote: »

I think you're confusing yourself with Cryptic there...
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I think you're confusing yourself with Cryptic there...
    ^^^ Here is another person who doesn't understand the series.

Bandwagon crowd. lol...

FYI - Data was created by a human.
  • Options
    edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    That will be a good one, Data resurrected :P:P:P, that will be the epic ending from Cryptic :D
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    That will be a good one, Data resurrected :P:P:P, that will be the epic ending from Cryptic :D
    I would love to see Data come back.

Cryptic just doesn't know how to write stories about 'the human condition'.

Thank god "Star Trek: Online" is not hard canon.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Many-many-many new fans do not understand the core reason why "Star Trek" exists. When Cryptic put an alien in the captain's chair, they turned "Star Trek" into a "Star Wars" franchise. Cryptic spat in the face of Roddenberry.

"Star Trek" was originally about 'the human experience', and its ability to overcome impossible obstacles. Enterprise was a testament to humanity's ingenuity, desire, and curiosity.

Once Cryptic put an alien in charge, they took away what was special about the franchise and ship.

Cryptic jumped on the bandwagon, so they can milk the franchise to hell.

Cryptic = Poseurs

Wow that is even more racist than the OP itself. Star Trek is Pro Human? The presidents of the Federation for two terms were an Efrosian and a Grazerite.

Spock was active Captain of the Enterprise several times.

Even the Enterprise E was captained by a gold skinned android.

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    well, i can see this thread is going to get locked and deleted very quickly, just like that one about JJTrek not being canon did earlier today...the TOS-breaking is strong here
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    well, i can see this thread is going to get locked and deleted very quickly, just like that one about JJTrek not being canon did earlier today...the TOS-breaking is strong here

It didn't get deleted. They moved it into Ten Forward. Still going strong with the idiocy, though!

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Wow that is even more racist than the OP itself. Star Trek is Pro Human? The president of the Federation for two terms were an Efrosian and a Grazerite.

Spock was active Captain of the Enterprise several times.

Even the Enterprise E was captained by a gold skinned android.
    You have no idea.

"Star Trek" is about looking at the universe through 'the human lens'.

Unless actual Klingons, Romulans, Bajorans, and Vulcans exist, I fail to see to point in your argument.

If this was about the "Star Wars" franchise, I can understand the idea of having an alien drive the Millennium Falcon.

Different franchises. Different approaches.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It didn't get deleted. They moved it into Ten Forward. Still going strong with the idiocy, though!
    no, it got closed a few hours ago by askray
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    You have no idea.

"Star Trek" is about looking at the universe through 'the human lens'. Unless actual Klingons, Romulans, Bajorans, and Vulcans exist, I fail to see to point in your argument.

No, it is not. Star Trek was about an idealized vision of the human race that transcended it's inherent nature of violence and prejudice to become a more civilized culture that focuses more on exploration than domination and lived by a simple edict to boldly go where none have gone before.

That was the point of Star Trek.

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    No, it is not. Star Trek was about an idealized vision of the human race that transcended it's inherent nature of violence and prejudice to become a more civilized culture that focuses more on exploration than domination and lived by a simple edict to boldly go where none have gone before.

That was the point of Star Trek.
    Ummm... Can we say 'human condition'.

Thanks for proving my point.

"Star Trek" is not "Star Wars". Period.

Making the captain of the Enterprise human means something.

...and, Cryptic fails to see its importance.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

That's not the human condition. The human condition is to consume, destroy and procreate without any thought of the consequences.

Hence why Star Trek was created in the first place. Humans suck, but we don't want to admit we suck, so we create elaborate fantasies and fictions depicting humans that don't suck later down the line. "Yeah, humanity may be terrible NOW, but in a few hundred years, we'll be better people!"

Buuuut we won't.

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    That's not the human condition. The human condition is to consume, destroy and procreate without any thought of the consequences.

Hence why Star Trek was created in the first place. Humans suck, but we don't want to admit we suck, so we create elaborate fantasies and fictions depicting humans that don't suck later down the line. "Yeah, humanity may be terrible NOW, but in a few hundred years, we'll be better people!"

Buuuut we won't.
    Gene Roddenberry created "Star Trek" because he believed 'our species' can do better.

Second, the future is not set in stone. If we go by what is happening in modern society, I can guarantee you that it will take thousands of years for us to reach universal democracy and peace. We currently have a Democrat party that wants to enslave everyone with laws. I think war is next on the docket.

Third, the human condition is not all about destroying. If you think having children, families, and friends is about destruction, you have a very dark way of looking at life.

People procreate for the longevity of their dna and out of love.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Gene Roddenberry created "Star Trek" because he believed 'our species' can do better.

Second, the future is not set in stone. If we go by what is happening in modern society, I can guarantee you that it will take thousands of years for use to reach universal peace.

Third, the human condition is not all about destroying. If you think having children, faith, and love is about destruction, you have a very dark way of looking at life.

They are. Love is a false concept to justify our never ending need to procreate, which leads to children who will continue the cycle. Faith is a concept to try to understand things greater than we are, and when we fail to do so, we use as an excuse to destroy entire cultures and civilizations.

Hell, Roddenberry's idea of a better people taught the real humans nothing, as we STILL can't even agree on which version of Star Trek even counts!

It's not a dark way of seeing things. It's a realistic one. We're not Star Trek humans. We're Firefly humans. We're major butts and we'll accept that we are and just try to minimize the eventual damage we put on the universe.

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Star Trek holds the human condition to be universal. Therefore, says the show, since everyone shares the human condition, divisions such as race and species are superficial. I mean come on, Andorians are really just humans with antennae and tempers, just like Vulcans are humans with pointy ears and cool temperments, and betazoids are humans who go all emo... etc. They can all interbreed for crying out loud.

Captain Shon is, for all intents and purposes, human.

Of course, this breaks down when you start to realize that the truly alien lifeforms (borg, Species 8472, the crystalline entity) tend to be villains of the week. V'ger was a villain until we figured out we created it, at which point it immediately became sympathetic.
    All species do this if unchecked, because they can't actually see the consequences. Humans are the only species who does think of the consequences, because we're (possibly) the only species that can predict things, and the only species that can record what we learn to allow a body of knowledge to build up.
    Humans suck, but we don't want to admit we suck, so we create elaborate fantasies and fictions depicting humans that don't suck later down the line. "Yeah, humanity may be terrible NOW, but in a few hundred years, we'll be better people!"

Buuuut we won't.
    To say that we'll be better in a few hundred years is a reasonable supposition, since we're better now than we were a few hundred years ago. Go back a few centuries and what see, what, near-universal institutionalized slavery? Violent Imperialism? Deforestation of entire continents? Check, check and check.

Imagine someone trying to get away with that in the US today. There's no way they could pull it off--they'd be burned at the stake (Metaphorically. We don't burn people at the stake anymore either.).

The fact that we can look around and say the world today is horrible is not because things are worse than they used to be, but because our standards have risen.
  • Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Making the captain of the Enterprise human means something.

...and, Cryptic fails to see its importance.
    You can say that Star Trek was all about the human point-of-view... but putting one non-human in command of an Enterprise won't change that

Spock was canonically in command of the Enterprise before Kirk took it back in Wrath of Khan, for years. Data was captain of the Enterprise-E in STO backstory for far longer (yes it's soft canon, but the example still exists)

Adding to the non-human captains hasn't (and won't) change the ST spirit at all. Nothing can change that imo
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    It's not a dark way of seeing things. It's a realistic one. We're not Star Trek humans. We're Firefly humans. We're major butts and we'll accept that we are and just try to minimize the eventual damage we put on the universe.
    While I agree with your analogy, I just so happen 'to have faith' that our species will evolve. Within a certain point of view, living in a Firefly universe is universally better.

"Star Trek" could be seen as a 'socialistic nightmare', which is enforced by a militaristic (communistic) set of guidelines. In order to achieve a "Star Trek" type of society, humanity would have to give up allot of freedom.

"Firefly" should be seen as the most desirable outcome. Libertarian society that spreads diversity, individualism, and existentialism all at once. Humanity becomes diversified as a natural course of evolution.

Individualism (psychology) is much more important than socialism (sociology).

Should society (socialism) determine your future?
    Should you (individualism) determine your future?

Progressives think socialism should determine your destiny.

I disagree.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Getting back to the original topic, I would rather Cryptic spend the money they would need to pay Brent Spiner in order to use his likeness to make improvements to the game.

The exception would if there is a huge potential would-be STO players out there that simply refuses to play STO unless they can see Data and hear him speak in STO.