What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Kill Captain Shon - bring on Data

Comments

• Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    My biggest complaint with Shon is that I think Andorians are too obscure and goofy looking to be effective brand ambassadors. Having an Andorian Captain seems like a very "preaching to the choir" move.

I could see a Klingon, Romulan, or Vulcan since those both exist in pop culture and across pretty much all versions of Star Trek. I could see a human or someone who looks human-ish like Mackenzie Calhoun because humans like and relate to humans.

I think Andorians make fine supporting players in Trek but it just feels like brand suicide to have that be anyone's first Enterprise Captain. And I'd like to think that STO could be someone's first Star Trek while attracting and preapring people to enjoy the old shows and new films, comics, and books.

It's one thing if services are held in Latin out of respect for tradition but quite another if your field missionaries are out speaking Latin when seeking converts. An Andorian captain seems like a missionary who speaks only Latin to me.

I think that could be better remedied by having more Winters involved. That's often the case when it comes to a captain that you can't really relate to, you put someone relatable nearby. I think Shon does kind of have that "preaching to the choir" thing going for him, but for as much hatred as I see for him, and that I've seen in the past?

The choir needs more preaching, since I've seen many Star Trek fans completely miss the entire point of the franchise they love so much by complaining about new things they aren't used to.

Shon doesn't make being andorian his 'thing' though, he comes off as one of the most human characters I've seen. Some people define themselves by their label. And I've seen roleplayers define their andorian characters by... being andorian.

And Shon doesn't do that, which I appreciate. He'll talk about being Andorian briefly if asked about it, but he comes across as a guy who's a Starfleet officer first and an andorian second. Which is how it should be.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    1. Enterprise E was not lost, in fact they did return from a mission.
    2. Enterprise E was likely decommissioned shortly before the events of 2409
    3. Data would had been promoted following his extended mission,
    4. You're racist

Data is probably doing what he is supposed to be doing according to "All Good Things" at this point.

However, I really want to point out... He is not Racist he is Speciest.
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    As a fan of the Shran, and the Andorian species I vote against this. I have an Andorian character (oddly enough, as an Engineer) and fully support Shon. It's nice to see a non human taking the position for a change. The only other we've (temporarily) had was Spock, and he's only half alien.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Honestly, if any of the flagship captains needs to be sent back to the drawing board, it's Koren. All I could think when I took the Andraste into "Surface Tension" was, "Would you shut the phekk up, you whiny b*tch!?"

I get that she's supposed to act tough because she's a Klingon, but honestly Secunda Wood's voice is too high-pitched to convincingly pull off the FemShep-like contralto the role calls for so she just comes off as whiny.

And talk about complaints of a cardboard box, even Romulan player characters barely know anything about Tiaru Jarok. I don't think she's managed to break a dozen lines total in the entire game.

None of the captains have a whole lot of characterization, because they're not the heroes of the game and they're the COs of other ships. We are the heroes, and that's as it should be.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    phoenicius wrote: »
    yes, you're right, shon is perfect, all other ST captains are horribly written , i can already see CBS jumping at the opportunity to make a new movie on prime ST universe featuring shon. :rolleyes:

Never said Shon was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I just fail to see how he's any worse than any other captain we've had in star trek.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    If I own the intellectual property to something, I decide what is canon and what is not. If CBS Studios owns the Star Trek IP, and they say Data is alive, then he is alive.

They never said he was alive after nemisis it is why the movie did so bad like Generations.Data is dead as far as the Trek searies is concerned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NNtaq2mnhU

Do they look like they are celebrating his return NO.

I find Shon just fine after all Andorians make good tac Captians.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    eagledraco wrote: »
    Spock was dead too, until his consciousness was transferred into a new body. The same thing happened with Data. Resurrections happen all the time in sci-fi.
    that is because Spock was regenerated in the Gensis Planet and if he did diie it sure would of been the End of Star Trek.

@edwardianed
    Well that depends how you judge the "lore of Trek"; if you judge it by official canon, then Data is alive as of the canonical "Countdown" series; if you judge it by STO canon, then Data is alive as of the canonical "Countdown" series.
    You have no idea of what you are talking about.
    Star Trek Gamers
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    That's nice, dude. Nobody's listening to you because you have an extremely tenuous grasp of reality.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    edited April 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    That's nice, dude. Nobody's listening to you because you have an extremely tenuous grasp of reality.

I certianly do not it is you who has it.I really wished my favourite Captian was alive but he isn't not no nexus either.That is right Kirk is mine along with that era of Trek which started it all.

You can't accept that video then shouldn't have anything to do with Trek.
    Star Trek Gamers
  • Options
    dkshadow9498dkshadow9498 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Actually, I think Shon is pretty good... in any case, ANYONE is better than Captain Kurland!
    VADM William "Darkshadow" Shadow | Join Date: Apr 2009 |
    USS Immortal NX-93608-F (Oddyssey Tactical Cruiser)
    VADM Rogueshadow IRW Kirino Kosaka (Valdore Retrofit)
    LT General Morbo IKS Karac (Bortasqu War Cruiser)
    LT General Posu IKS Saya Takagi (Chel Grett Warship)
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Honestly, if any of the flagship captains needs to be sent back to the drawing board, it's Koren. All I could think when I took the Andraste into "Surface Tension" was, "Would you shut the phekk up, you whiny b*tch!?"

I get that she's supposed to act tough because she's a Klingon, but honestly Secunda Wood's voice is too high-pitched to convincingly pull off the FemShep-like contralto the role calls for so she just comes off as whiny.

And talk about complaints of a cardboard box, even Romulan player characters barely know anything about Tiaru Jarok. I don't think she's managed to break a dozen lines total in the entire game.

None of the captains have a whole lot of characterization, because they're not the heroes of the game and they're the COs of other ships. We are the heroes, and that's as it should be.
    I think Karen's voice is fine. But she was damn annoying in the last FE. Repeating over and over again, like a broken record or Captain Kurland that Starfleet didn't send any ships to help.

And yes, Jarok doesn't talk enough, and give her opinion. She either speak for the Republic, or for her dead father, which is cool to, but she need more. But I guess that's because Karen is monopolizing the radiowaves with her rants.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    age03 wrote: »
    I certianly do not it is you who has it.I really wished my favourite Captian was alive but he isn't not no nexus either.That is right Kirk is mine along with that era of Trek which started it all.

You can't accept that video then shouldn't have anything to do with Trek.

I accept the video. I also accept that the backstory of this game clearly states the game took Nemesis up on the various foreshadowing hints it dropped that Data would resurface. Data's personality was made to arise and overwrite B-4. He would've lost at most a couple of weeks.

Ergo, Data is alive in STO. QED.

I also recall the time you tried to claim that First Contact lost money despite all evidence to the contrary.

Ergo, you have a very tenuous grasp of reality. QED.

As for Nemesis flopping, despite the fact that the film was, admittedly, TRIBBLE, the flop a lot had more to do with bad timing, as in having an opening night such that it was in direct competition with Die Another Day, The Two Towers, and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. It didn't stand a chance with that competition.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    talonxv wrote: »
    Oh shon is SOOO horrible. Lets run down the list of captains shall we?

Kirk was a womanizing narcissist who STOLE the Original Enterprise and the ONLY thing that saved him from life in prison for treason was the fact he was lucky enough to save earth from that probe.

Picard was a taciturn stern and broke every rule when it suited him but god forbid somebody under his command break the rules.

Janeway...well psycopath who broke the prime directive when it suited her. Even broke the Omega directive.

Sisko antagonized Q, poisoned a world to catch one renegade who betrayed him, resigned his commission when ever he felt like it and went AWOL to pursue a religious war.

I mean really, every captain we've had of the enterprise of a major command has some kind of fault and racks up an impressive black marks checklist.

I fail to see the issues with Shon.

And if you want to look in game.... well, lets be honest our captains aren't exactly perfect either.

Some of us are basically just killing machines.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I think that could be better remedied by having more Winters involved. That's often the case when it comes to a captain that you can't really relate to, you put someone relatable nearby. I think Shon does kind of have that "preaching to the choir" thing going for him, but for as much hatred as I see for him, and that I've seen in the past?

The choir needs more preaching, since I've seen many Star Trek fans completely miss the entire point of the franchise they love so much by complaining about new things they aren't used to.

Shon doesn't make being andorian his 'thing' though, he comes off as one of the most human characters I've seen. Some people define themselves by their label. And I've seen roleplayers define their andorian characters by... being andorian.

And Shon doesn't do that, which I appreciate. He'll talk about being Andorian briefly if asked about it, but he comes across as a guy who's a Starfleet officer first and an andorian second. Which is how it should be.

I can agree with all of that.

I mainly think a Klingon captain would have done the same job Shon does and would have actually amped up the end of the war and the game's plotlines better. Who better to helm the Enterprise during a war with Klingons THAN a Klingon?

Oh well. Missed opportunity. We are where we are. IF they remove Shon, I think Cryptic really needs to make more people LIKE him before they do that. Killing a character many people hate is cheap and easy. If you kill/remove a character, it should be one people love and it should be in a way that's engaging.

So in general, I'm against killing Shon. Making him a traitor might be more interesting. Especially since he's such a selfless officer who's shown he's willing to give his life for duty. If someone that pure of character could be corrupted by something, THAT would be a strong story. Yeah, he's a two fisted blowhard but he is very pure in his intentions. So if that could be corrupted, like I say, story fuel. And it would be a great Eddington type twist.

The easy way there would probably be to link him up with Section 31. Cryptic had expressed interest in doing a Maquis style Fed splinter enemy faction years ago. Maybe if Section 31 were forced into the light and broke away. A few too many traditional idealists in Starfleet decide to start burning their operations, maybe? And some kind of ultimate contingency that involves some kind of Terra Prime conspiracy? I find STO missions that involve suspense/splashy intrigue with firefights tend to be the best done.

Maybe if Shon were some kind of Manchurian Candidate captain who sides with Section 31.

A plus side to that might be if we actually got a glimpse into how the Iconians persuaded the Tal Shiar by showing them do the same thing to Section 31.

Just thoughts.
  • Options
    edwardianededwardianed Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    age03 wrote: »
    You have no idea of what you are talking about.

Seriously... what is the matter with you? Is it some form autism? If it is, then I sympathise with your plight and can understand your position on things; however sometimes I wonder if you're just an intransigent dolt who is utterly incapable of absorbing any sort of new information.

All you ever do is come on the forums and post, in one way or another, "Nothing in this game is real trek, nothing past TOS is real trek, no-one but me is a real trekkie, and nothing's going to change that".

What is the point of voluntarily taking part in a conversation if all you're going to do is proverbially put your fingers in your ears and hum over what anyone else is saying.

Your behaviour honestly baffles me, and I'm not easily confused. Well done :confused:
  • Options
    stomperx99stomperx99 Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Actually, I think Shon is pretty good... in any case, ANYONE is better than Captain Kurland!

"Kurland here" "Kurland here" "Kurland here" "Kurland here"
    ZomboDroid10122015042230.jpg

I'm sorry to people who I, in the past, insulted, annoyed, etc.
  • Options
    jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I also recall the time you tried to claim that First Contact lost money despite all evidence to the contrary.

Ergo, you have a very tenuous grasp of reality. QED.

As for Nemesis flopping, despite the fact that the film was, admittedly, TRIBBLE, the flop a lot had more to do with bad timing, as in having an opening night such that it was in direct competition with Die Another Day, The Two Towers, and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. It didn't stand a chance with that competition.

If you go by Hollywood Accounting then almost every movie ever has failed to make a profit. They always say so because then they don't have to pay back their debts or give people the percentages that they owe by contract.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I can agree with all of that.

I mainly think a Klingon captain would have done the same job Shon does and would have actually amped up the end of the war and the game's plotlines better. Who better to helm the Enterprise during a war with Klingons THAN a Klingon?

Oh well. Missed opportunity. We are where we are. IF they remove Shon, I think Cryptic really needs to make more people LIKE him before they do that. Killing a character many people hate is cheap and easy. If you kill/remove a character, it should be one people love and it should be in a way that's engaging.

So in general, I'm against killing Shon. Making him a traitor might be more interesting. Especially since he's such a selfless officer who's shown he's willing to give his life for duty. If someone that pure of character could be corrupted by something, THAT would be a strong story. Yeah, he's a two fisted blowhard but he is very pure in his intentions. So if that could be corrupted, like I say, story fuel. And it would be a great Eddington type twist.

The easy way there would probably be to link him up with Section 31. Cryptic had expressed interest in doing a Maquis style Fed splinter enemy faction years ago. Maybe if Section 31 were forced into the light and broke away. A few too many traditional idealists in Starfleet decide to start burning their operations, maybe? And some kind of ultimate contingency that involves some kind of Terra Prime conspiracy? I find STO missions that involve suspense/splashy intrigue with firefights tend to be the best done.

Maybe if Shon were some kind of Manchurian Candidate captain who sides with Section 31.

A plus side to that might be if we actually got a glimpse into how the Iconians persuaded the Tal Shiar by showing them do the same thing to Section 31.

Just thoughts.

I think a Klingon captain for the Enterprise would have been interesting, but I think it'd take away from the aesthetics of the war. Don't get me wrong, I think a klingon captain would have every right to be in command of Enterprise as anyone else.

But as far as game aesthetics goes, I can see some clashes. I think it came down to wanting a founding member of the Federation be the captain, since we've already had a human captain, a vulcan (at least he identifies as vulcan), and an android captain (made by a human). The only other choices I think would be a Tellarite (not attractive enough, and before anyone calls me superficial, I'm just going to point to T'TRIBBLE as a marketing thing for STO), or a Rigelian.

I think a Rigelian would have been more interesting, since they're one of the most mysterious species in the Federation who were one of the founding members, but I think they also suffer a bit of 'too much ugliness', while andorians and their little antennae and blue skin are considered aesthetically 'cute'.

Having a klingon in command of the USS Enterprise while having Captain Koren in command of the USS Bortasqu' doesn't show enough diversity, imo. I think story-wise it would be an interesting prospect, but for aesthetics I'm iffy on it.

I do think there needs to be more exposition and dialogue between Winters and Shon, though. Picard was often defined by his relationship with Riker, Kirk was often defined by his relationship with Spock. Janeway was... well, let's just skip that example.

Winters could easily represent 'us' as the human race, and put a more relatable character in a command position of the Enterprise, who thus far has not had much to say or do on the Enterprise-F other than be 'the guy in charge of the Enterprise while Shon is gone'.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    My problem with Shon is that he got offered the Enterprise instead of me. Did Starfleet even bother to think about my candidacy? I did most of the work during the Siege of DS9. All Shon did was lose his ship. If that's all it takes to get the Enterprise, I should have been made Captain when my first command was overrun by Borg. Do you know how many times my ship has blown up? TONS! Breen, Borg, Dominion, Cardassian, Klingon, Voth, Romulan, even the damn Undine have totaled my ride! Still didn't get an invite to move my crew to the Defiant or Voyager!

I swear, if I'm not top of the list for the Enterprise G, I am sooooooo defecting to the Terran Universe. My counterpart commands the I.S.S. Voyager C.

Granted, he did brutally murder Commander Neelix to do it.

But he did deserve to die. Mirror Neelix is horrifying. His idea of boosting morale was Zero gravity Hunger Games in the lower decks. With a very savage Seven of Nine as a ringer.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    My problem with Shon is that he got offered the Enterprise instead of me. Did Starfleet even bother to think about my candidacy?
    I refer you to what Tiaru Jarok said about it in IIRC "Republic Day". Apparently the Romulan PC was considered for the captaincy of the Lleiset but it was felt you could do more good if you weren't hamstrung by being the Romulan Republic's flagship captain (read: brand ambassador). Flagship captains also have to do a lot of boring official show-the-flag appearances and so forth.

Plus, let's face it: We've been captains for (as of season 9) one entire year. Shon et al. have seniority.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Plus, let's face it: We've been captains for (as of season 9) one entire year. Shon et al. have seniority.

I've done more in a year than Janeway, Archer, Picard, Sisko and Kirk did in 5-7 years.

I DESERVE A FANCY BRAND NAME SHIP!

:mad:
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I've done more in a year than Janeway, Archer, Picard, Sisko and Kirk did in 5-7 years.

I DESERVE A FANCY BRAND NAME SHIP!

:mad:

Congratulations! I hear your name is at the top of the short list for the captaincy of the U.S.S. Kellogs. :P
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    scififan78 wrote: »
    Congratulations! I hear your name is at the top of the short list for the captaincy of the U.S.S. Kellogs. :P

*GASP*

Dude.

The Kellogg was Branflakes' ship.

Too soon, bro. Too soon.

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    scififan78 wrote: »
    Formerly captained by the illustrious BranFlakes.

My sense is that the Enterprise has lost some of its potency. It's been a legendary name for the better part of 200 years, and after that much time things start losing steam.

Obviously, the real workhorse of the Federation is now [Player Name]'s [Player's Ship], and its name is probably bound for the next Federation flagship line.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I refer you to what Tiaru Jarok said about it in IIRC "Republic Day". Apparently the Romulan PC was considered for the captaincy of the Lleiset but it was felt you could do more good if you weren't hamstrung by being the Romulan Republic's flagship captain (read: brand ambassador). Flagship captains also have to do a lot of boring official show-the-flag appearances and so forth.

Tiaru Jarok told me that the reason I wasn't given the Lleiset is that I was too hardcore and too awesome. She said I was overqualified and the Romulan Republic flagship being given to me would be considered an insult to my reputation, since it simply can not compare to the level of pure epicness that is my character.

She also said I was stunningly handsome and exceptionally witty, even by romulan standards.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Tiaru Jarok told me that the reason I wasn't given the Lleiset is that I was too hardcore and too awesome. She said I was overqualified and the Romulan Republic flagship being given to me would be considered an insult to my reputation, since it simply can not compare to the level of pure epicness that is my character.

She also said I was stunningly handsome and exceptionally witty, even by romulan standards.

That conniving little [Romulan insult]! She told me the same thing. She also said that she wanted to run away with me a bear my children. :mad: :(
  • Options
    edited April 2014

Really? Because the story I heard was that you tanked the psyche evaluation by accusing the doctor that he was an Iconian spy.

And then you bit him.

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I think we've discovered a new natural law of the Internet. "As forum threads continue, the likelihood of them taking a turn for the bizarre approaches one."
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    edited April 2014
    I think we've discovered a new natural law of the Internet. "As forum threads continue, the likelihood of them taking a turn for the bizarre approaches one."

That's not exactly new....

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    *GASP*

Dude.

The Kellogg was Branflakes' ship.

Too soon, bro. Too soon.

Didn't even realize what I was typing. That posting has already been filled. The next billet assignment available will be the U.S.S Folgers. It is scheduled to launch within the next year.