test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[Season 8] Holodeck crashes on startup (Latest update: Pg. 319, post #3190)

Comments

• Options
    mathewprime1mathewprime1 Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I was chatting to a couple of guys on Tribble yesterday (through OrderofPersistance channel) and they said Tribble is running smoothly since the latest patch... at least as good as before this whole debacle.
    Whilst this is good news, as in Holodeck should be running perfectly for those of us who wither couldn't get in or had MAJOR graphics issues when we did get in, I can't help but think it is too little, too late.

Let's look at what 18897741's (makes us sound like a Torchwood villain) have missed so far:
    Solenae tribble,
    many days of free lobi,
    the last days of a master key sale,
    the first days of a ship sale,
    dilithium refining (unless gold member and has auto-refine),
    reputation grinding (some could have put 1 or 2 tiers on the new Dyson rep by now, not to mention other reps),
    starbase levelling (some have missed out on throwing marks, items, doffs, etc. at fleet starbases which would have helped their fleet and themselves),
    gameplay itself.

This list is by no means exhaustive and may only cover some of the personal ones I've felt or been told have affected others. There may be more.

My hope is a simple one: Cryptic/PWE to acknowledge that they should have tested more, listened to feedback more and simply put out a better expansion and to apologise. They should then explain exactly (laymans terms if need be) what went wrong so we can call them on it if it happens again and to apologise. Something as a gesture of goodwill to the 18897741's to make amends (I'm not asking for a tonne of free lobi, keys or c-store goods) and an apology.
    I should point out that an apology from Branflakes is not going to cut it (despite his fibrous goodness). If I mess up, and have done wrong, and an apology needs to be made then I'd look like an a** by making my brother/employee/wife give the apology, wouldn't I? The apology needs to come from the person in charge of the mess, the one who thought it more important to hit a deadline than to ensure a good product. And it needs to be more than a platitude.

In my personal opinion. i think we should be refunded, at least be given the tribble and the amount of free lobi we missed out on because of their TRIBBLE-up. so far, there is no indication that we will be convensated for what happened in any way. however that might change at the last minute. although i will say this: if we are not convensated for what we missed.. then cryptic/PWE really has POOR customer care. yes.. getting us back in is the main priority. but we are being forced to wait untill the lobi event ends to get back into holodeck. yes. winter event starts when we get back to holodeck. but right now i dont care much for it really. im not expecting much from it. considering season 8..the maps are OK. but they could use some work. like getting rid of the major lag.. as for the rep system: just more grinding to me. i dont care for it.
    Fleet Admiral Mathew Prime.
  • Options
    mayhem95826mayhem95826 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Whoever posted the Swift Shader msg last week is appreciated, since then I have been able to get in for doff missions only, it is a terrible game though playing like this. Hopefully not much longer ugh...I am not going to bother downloading tribble no thanks cryptic, although I am going to upgrade my desktop before I consider spending any more cash on this game. Yes, I noticed a super hi grade computer didn't guarantee season 8 would work, but apparently thats just cryptic.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Hey what is my Borg number?
  • Options
    admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Am I the only one dreading the patch on the 5th?

Here's why I am.

10/3 Major update, graphics broken for one week.

11/12 Major Update Graphics broken for 3 weeks.

12/5 Major update coming, as well as so called fix for the 11/12 break.

What Im expecting is them to fix the 11/12 errors, but when the Winter Event goes live. It breaks the graphics again. only difference is we get new error codes.

What they should have done to ease these fears is put the WE on Tribble WITH the fix for the 11/12 break. If it caused a new problem they would have known in advance of the 5th.

Of course if the S8 tribble breaks Which were reported had not been ignored......Oh well they probably would just ignore this too.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • Options
    terrafuriaterrafuria Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Dont be so negative! ;)

I am sure it will be fine (Fingers crossed).
    Lest we forget 18897741
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited December 2013
    What they should have done to ease these fears is put the WE on Tribble WITH the fix for the 11/12 break. If it caused a new problem they would have known in advance of the 5th.

The Winter Event has been on Tribble for sometime now, it's just not turned on, and players can't get to the maps involved without it being "on". That's how a lot of our events that are tied to start/ end dates work. :) Therefore, the "major update" you're referring to is already on Tribble and I believe one of your recent posts mentioned you've been able to get on Tribble as of the patch last Wednesday.

dave18193 wrote: »
    Well I'm glad their priorities are properly aligned. Clearly developing Gingerbread Town is more important than GETTING US BACK IN THE FLAMING GAME

I'm pretty sure I made this clear earlier in this thread, but let me clarify again :) Content Devs, Artists, Systems Devs, etc. etc. etc. can not resolve not work on the issue reported in this thread. The team that can (i.e. the team that works on Graphics; not to be confused with VFX, art, Etc.) has been the team working on the resolution, all while everyone else on the team continued with their work. Working on the Winter Event (which was pretty much completed before Season 8 even launched), nor any upcoming content, systems, art, etc. caused any delay or prolonging in a resolution for the graphics issue.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I would not worry about the Winter Event.

To save Server resources, all the players who could play after Season 8 launched will have the crash Bug and then we are the ones who can play. On the 4 year anniversary it is then again us who crash, at Season 9 the others will crash again, and so on.

Cryptic learned since the 3 Year anniversary and LoR. Instead of buying more stable Servers, each time half the players will not be able to play. :D

@branflakes: do the Devs know what caused the Bug? It maybe would be helpfull to know if it was a problem with our graphic cards etc.. So we could react next time faster or avoid using certain graphic cards
  • Options
    d4m1j4nd4m1j4n Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    what is going on !? from start season8 we have same problem with error ticket id : 18897741 ... Tell us are you fixed this issue or what ? We can't play from 12. November 2013
    Should we stay or live this is the question now ... thx
  • Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    d4m1j4n wrote: »
    what is going on !? from start season8 we have same problem with error ticket id : 18897741 ... Tell us are you fixed this issue or what ? We can't play from 12. November 2013
    Should we stay or live this is the question now ... thx

Look into the tribble patch notes from the 27th. They finally uploaded a patch into the testserver but we have to wait till wednesday? until the patch will be uploaded into the real Servers.
  • Options
    admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Thank you Bran. I did not know that about the events. I thought that each one was a separate update. This is a big load off of my mind.

Thank you again, and sorry if I came across as a bit cranky.

Question for you is the fix going to cover the other people not with the 18897741 error? I hope it will.

You know in the years I have been here this is actually the first one that I get to play the Winter Event.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • Options
    barondeltabarondelta Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    To be honest, the wait right now is the one that bites at me the hardest. Until we had a fix, all we could do was trust that people were working on one. But now we have a fix. Given the nature of the Thanksgiving holiday, I was grumpily willing to understand the copy being put off over the weekend. But now that the weekend is over, what is the delay in copying in the fix? Surely the last several days are enough Tribble testing.

If this is really a top priority, isn't the appropriate time to copy in the fix as soon as we have a few people in the office who can handle the job? Perhaps add a couple of hours of warning for those currently playing on holodeck, but why Wednesday or Thursday? In the week Season 8 was released, how many patches were there? Can't we just... have our access to the game back now?

Please?
  • Options
    taitie12taitie12 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    i have not been able to play the game since season 8 launched and i was unable to play the game when the last crash happened in October for a week that's now one month that i haven been able to get on due to unforeseen errors i want to know will i be compensated for that month that i haven't been able to play I pay for the 3 month membership
  • Options
    captinwh0captinwh0 Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Hey what is my Borg number?

59 of 74, septenary drone of unimatrix, two, seven six
    nerf.jpg]
  • Options
    jimbobbubbajimbobbubba Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    the game on tribble now has responsiveness freezing
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    captinwh0 wrote: »
    59 of 74, septenary drone of unimatrix, two, seven six

Thanks appreciated!
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Thanks appreciated!

its made from ur actual stats
    nerf.jpg]
  • Options
    raventomoeraventomoe Member Posts: 723 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    What's my Designation for the 18897741 Collective?
    "The Multiverse, the ultimate frontier..."
    Thus begins...Lyrical Trek
  • Options
    ryocamelinryocamelin Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The Fact that we can get onto Tribble is good, however for most of us it is another dead end, because it's a hollow achievement. No stats transfer back, and anything we gain on Tribble stays there and does not contribute to character development. We have to remain isolated from the main game population, like criminals, or infected carriers, until such a time as the Dev's can be sure that whatever effects us will not transpose into the main population.

Sigh, I do not carry any diseases. I don't think my character account carries any issues, so why are we still being treated as the cause, rather than the symptoms?

Still, we have to wait for the fix to be ported to Holodeck, and then cross our fingers that it holds, so that the man server can take the extra load of us all logging on to play the game. As an LTS I do feel that there should be some form of recompense for those of us who have got the error codes legitimately, which I am sure Cryptic keeps a log of so they can identify those who got effected from those who will suddenly claim to have been effected just to do a freebie grab.

I know with other games on Facebook and other beta games, when I was effected by a bug, the dev's rewarded me with credits or in-game benefits for helping them to identify an issue and then verifying it was fixed.

I would imagine that as Cryptic has said multiple times, ST:O is their most profitable game, and also being that this is the biggest game they have run, with the most audience, they should do something to assist victimized players to offset the bad press this is generating.

Sad Panda face, waiting for Holodeck to allow me to live again.
    We were the Borg, you should have been Assimilated, your Biological and Technological Distinctiveness was not added to our own, instead ... you exposed us to kittens.:D
  • Options
    chrisolliecchrisolliec Member Posts: 256 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Just out of curiosity: Did I read that right that the patch will be loaded on thursday?
    "I came from a time long gone, saw many other times...
    But I'm still a mere human."
    Vice Admiral Chris Curtiss, Temporal Ambassador
  • Options
    dave18193dave18193 Member Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The Winter Event has been on Tribble for sometime now, it's just not turned on, and players can't get to the maps involved without it being "on". That's how a lot of our events that are tied to start/ end dates work. :) Therefore, the "major update" you're referring to is already on Tribble and I believe one of your recent posts mentioned you've been able to get on Tribble as of the patch last Wednesday.

I'm pretty sure I made this clear earlier in this thread, but let me clarify again :) Content Devs, Artists, Systems Devs, etc. etc. etc. can not resolve not work on the issue reported in this thread. The team that can (i.e. the team that works on Graphics; not to be confused with VFX, art, Etc.) has been the team working on the resolution, all while everyone else on the team continued with their work. Working on the Winter Event (which was pretty much completed before Season 8 even launched), nor any upcoming content, systems, art, etc. caused any delay or prolonging in a resolution for the graphics issue.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

With respect Bran that was only half the issue. The bigger issue to my mind was that Devs had time to post comments on the forum regarding Gingerbread Town, but not post answers to out questions in this thread. We had total radio silence from yourself and others since the 27th, yet you posted on the winter event thread in the following days.

Not a stalker or anything, just noticed while I was browsing and was a bit miffed. We deserve answers.

Also, since you obviously did read my post (since you quoted it), is there any chance of answering my questions on 25664664 and refunding resources lost?

Still crashing 25664664 on tribble btw. Will this be fixed for winter event with the December 5th patch?
    Got a cat? Have 10 minutes to help someone make the best degree dissertation of all time?

Then please fill out my dissertation survey on feline attachment, it'd be a massive help (-:

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/87XKSGH
  • Options
    txspartantxspartan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Haven't been paying attention for a while. Not even going to bother hoping for the 5th, this has been silly.
    Grand Ayatollah of the Order of Persistence, First Chairman of the Persistent Defence Commission
    Winner of two Second annual (Last 500) and three Third annual (Last 1000) Most Amusing Posts Best Entrance Awards
  • Options
    jarekcyphusjarekcyphus Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Ideed it would seems so. As none of my PCs have any issues I was unable to verify it other than see it work on his HP Laptop, the fact some fleet mates reported it as working also adds credence to the idea. I have no idea why this should temporarily fix the issue to some extent, perhaps the whole problems seem to be UI dependant. I do know that closing the UI with Alt+F12 speeds up the framerate for me considerably.

I concur. The majority of instability seems to be caused by the UI, but occurs mostly during environment changes in the S8 content (doors opening, environment animations, relay activation in the breach, etc). My framerates ONLY seem to stutter when the UI is active, but otherwise run silky smooth when it is not.

The framerate instability occurs regardless of my graphics settings or window size, and task manager indicates that the UI is also causing a HUGE memory leak in all areas of the game, although the Season 8 content seems to be affected the most. Something the DEVs should take on board, I think, especially before pitching the Winter Event.

I'm running an ASUS G750JH that typically runs games like Crysis 3 and BF4 on Ultra settings and manages an average 58-64fps (depending on the game, of course). Another thing I noticed, thanks to ThrottleStop and nVidiaInspector, is that when the UI is active, the memory leak in the game spikes and the CPU/GPU takes no additional load during the graphics stuttering events. When the UI is closed, however, the loads are redirected as applicable, and no noticeable stutter occurs. UI-on, my framerates in the sphere will go from 120fps to 10 abruptly, whereas when it is off, my benchmark average is 112fps. Not too shabby.

Get to fixin,' Cryptic.
    STO-sig3.jpg~original
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    raventomoe wrote: »
    What's my Designation for the 18897741 Collective?

12 of 79 tertiary host of unimatrix/ zero, four, three
    nerf.jpg]
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited December 2013
    Re: 25664664 -- if the graphics fix on Tribble did not resolve the issue, it could be related to bad RAM, followed by other hardware problems (bad motherboard, etc). It is possible that it is caused by failing SSDs; but we have not confirmed that. Frequently, thermal problems are related; that is the problem only manifests when their computer gets warmer, due to gaming, etc.

The steps you should try for a resolution:

1) Verify all files via the selection in the 'options' link at the top of the launcher, and try again
    2) Reboot and verify all files, and try again
    3) Reinstall, and try again

Note that this only addresses the symptom, and not the cause; it won't fix whatever went wrong. We usually recommend players use the memory tester that comes with Windows 7 and higher, or other third-party testers that you would need to try at your own cost/ risk.

Hope that helps those of you experiencing crash #25664664.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    mortuus2408mortuus2408 Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    And what is my designation in this Collective? And on what Ship I will serve?

Cube? Sphere? or Type 3? (btw: why is the Type 3 Ship not in STO)?

Tribble Testserver you are confusing me...

Yesterday: (Unplayable)
    Today: All Planets (Ground Levels) and Spacestations NO LAG AT ALL *I changed nothing*
    Simplication Award Winner
    Admirals Log Stardate....aaaahm....whats today's Stardate?
  • Options
    venarravenarra Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Still cannot login. Error: 18897741. I'm getting tired of posting these... :(

Will I get reimbursement for lost Lobis during the featured episode event (which ends soon)? and the Winter event free ship? I doubt this will get fixed any time soon, at least not in a time frame that will allow me to collect 1000+ autographed pictures of Q for all my toons (even my main Fed toon who has a stash of 240 pics from last year). :confused:

I love the game, the events, the opportunities to get cool free stuff. STO is one of the few truly free games out there (aside from Lobies, you can earn Zen via Dili sales). I don't want to miss out on this winter event's ship and special items.

Besides, I still have a snowball launcher I want to shoot people with. ;)
  • Options
    barondeltabarondelta Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Branflakes: The comments about the 25664664 users look unhelpful after this long (if the problem could be solved with those steps I doubt the players involved would have been offline for 3 weeks) but at least constitute a response, which is nice.

Could you follow that up by answering some of our other questions please? Where are the patch notes for today's patch? If there won't be one, what is the delay that prevents it? To put it bluntly, WHY ARE WE NOT BEING ALLOWED TO PLAY?

There are also players asking about compensation. I personally don't expect any or particularly care, though I think that a company that wants people who subscribed during this period to subscribe ever again should seriously consider offering something. However, -some- response to this issue, which was raised almost at the beginning of this 2000+ post thread, would be nice, wouldn't it?

Still, what I would really like is to be able to play STO on my computer again. So, I say again, please?
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Ven, I was having issues with the launcher since s8.
    I won't say I fixed the problem, but updating my computer systems has helped.
    I was getting disconnected every 10mins for about 5 days straight.
    When I checked my queued updates on my laptop I realized I hadn't updated in a while and had 7 or 8 system updates just waiting in the queue.
    Went through all those and it seemed to help, now I can play a few hours at a time before getting disconnected.
    Or until my cpu gets too hot and it auto boots me.

But still the laucher is a bit iffy, if that's the case for you, try disconnecting from your connection then reconnect,refresh, and try the laucher again.
    If that doesn't work, try a shutdown, reset modem, restart computer... Disconnect from your connection, refresh, reconnect, refresh, then try the sto launcher again.
    Usually the disconnect reconnect works for me if the laucher is behaving oddly. Sometimes if I can tell it won't load up right away, ill just close the laucher from my task bar, and try again, and again and again...it works eventually.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Ven, I was having issues with the launcher since s8.
    I won't say I fixed the problem, but updating my computer systems has helped.
    I was getting disconnected every 10mins for about 5 days straight.
    When I checked my queued updates on my laptop I realized I hadn't updated in a while and had 7 or 8 system updates just waiting in the queue.
    Went through all those and it seemed to help, now I can play a few hours at a time before getting disconnected.
    Or until my cpu gets too hot and it auto boots me.

But still the laucher is a bit iffy, if that's the case for you, try disconnecting from your connection then reconnect,refresh, and try the laucher again.
    If that doesn't work, try a shutdown, reset modem, restart computer... Disconnect from your connection, refresh, reconnect, refresh, then try the sto launcher again.
    Usually the disconnect reconnect works for me if the laucher is behaving oddly. Sometimes if I can tell it won't load up right away, ill just close the laucher from my task bar, and try again, and again and again...it works eventually.

I hadn't thought about ipconfig. I'll have to try that tonight.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    venarra wrote: »
    Still cannot login. Error: 18897741. I'm getting tired of posting these... :(

Will I get reimbursement for lost Lobis during the featured episode event (which ends soon)? and the Winter event free ship? I doubt this will get fixed any time soon, at least not in a time frame that will allow me to collect 1000+ autographed pictures of Q for all my toons (even my main Fed toon who has a stash of 240 pics from last year). :confused:

I love the game, the events, the opportunities to get cool free stuff. STO is one of the few truly free games out there (aside from Lobies, you can earn Zen via Dili sales). I don't want to miss out on this winter event's ship and special items.

Besides, I still have a snowball launcher I want to shoot people with. ;)

I have updated my support ticket (#131121-002436) with full DXDiag and Tracert info. I hope this helps you fix the issue. :)
This discussion has been closed.