test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[Season 8] Holodeck crashes on startup (Latest update: Pg. 319, post #3190)

Comments

• Options
    halfpint71kyhalfpint71ky Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    (To the tune of "Another Saturday Night", by Jimmy Buffett)

*Begins singing... badly*

Another Saturday night and I ain't playing Star Trek,
    I got no Lobi cause I'm not in-game,
    Oh, how I wish I were in the Dyson Sphere,
    I'm in an awful way...

Come on, everybody now!

I got in STO a month ago
    I seen alot of gorn since then
    if i could meet 'em I could beat 'em
    but as yet i haven't got back, JIm
    that's how i'm in the state i'm in

how about this one also...

Come Monday or Thursday it will be all right...
    come Monday i'll be star trek at night...
    I spent 6 lonely days in a dark Leper daze
    And i just want my game in my sights....
    Proud Member of the Order of persistence, Chief of Investigations"Persistent Officer"since 11/12/13...:P 600 strong and growing...all phages, vidians, other outcasts welcome, note: all new members BYOC (bring your own chair) please and thank you! Five time winner in 1st and 2nd annual last 500 tied for top 2000 @halfpint71ky
  • Options
    blerrkblerrk Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    My game is crashing everytime at the point the music starts up,since 8 started.
  • Options
    mgmirkin426mgmirkin426 Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Not to be hostile, but could people maybe NOT post off-topic chatter on the thread? It's already 100 pages long. The off-topic stuff just makes it hat much longer, fills space, and makes it harder to find the actual problem-related / technical posts.

This is the "Support" forum, not the "post recipes & roleplaying fanfic" forum. Just saying. I understand we're bored whiel waiting for a fix, but let's try to keep things on-topic. I'm not opposed to such things in general. Just, this ain't the place for them. We're trying to get info together to figure out this problem and/or figure out what devs need in order to fix the problem.

Just sayin'. Kinda' tired of reading long swaths of pages that don't contribute anything notable to pinning down the issue or finding a solution.

Sorry for the cold water. Just hoping folks can focus a little more on the technical issues and posting their specs and logs and such, and maybe leave the off-topic stuff for one of the more "general" fora?

Make it so!
  • Options
    raventomoeraventomoe Member Posts: 723 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Not to be hostile, but could people maybe NOT post off-topic chatter on the thread? It's already 100 pages long. The off-topic stuff just makes it hat much longer, fills space, and makes it harder to find the actual problem-related / technical posts.

This is the "Support" forum, not the "post recipes & roleplaying fanfic" forum. Just saying. I understand we're bored whiel waiting for a fix, but let's try to keep things on-topic. I'm not opposed to such things in general. Just, this ain't the place for them. We're trying to get info together to figure out this problem and/or figure out what devs need in order to fix the problem.

Just sayin'. Kinda' tired of reading long swaths of pages that don't contribute anything notable to pinning down the issue or finding a solution.

Sorry for the cold water. Just hoping folks can focus a little more on the technical issues and posting their specs and logs and such, and maybe leave the off-topic stuff for one of the more "general" fora?

Make it so!

We need to keep our spirits up somehow and our patience as well. Besides, Bran has said nothing about it and we can trade ideas about what we find in our logs or computer.
    "The Multiverse, the ultimate frontier..."
    Thus begins...Lyrical Trek
  • Options
    d3nd3n12d3nd3n12 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I read somewhere else in the STO forums that there was a problem with STO updating and locking its root folder, therefor TRIBBLE up any future updates; the new updates cannot make changes to the old files because they're all locked down. I have two different installs of STO, and both Cryptic Studios root folders are locked to "read only" on every user account.

I wonder if that may be the overall problem.

d3n
  • Options
    admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    defcon1101 wrote: »
    after looking at ...\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online\Live\logs\Hog_Errors.Log

Deleted ...\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online\Live\piggs\bins.hogg and let the launcher repatch.

make sure you kill crypticerror.exe and gameclient.exe in task manager first if they are there.....

....back in the captains chair

@defcon110010

Ok Im trying something based on this post. If it works Ill post back. Currently downloading 12 gigs.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    For what its worth:

Does run on and was able to log in the game yesterday (haven't tried yet today)

HP Probook 6540b
    Intel i5 cpu 2.27 GHz dual core 64 bit
    2 gigs ram
    video: intel HD Graphics 730.94 mb - driver version 8.15.10.2413

Running Win 7 - 64 bit w/serivce pack 1 (build 7601)
    Directx 11

Does NOT run on and crash's with the rest of you on

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_qfe.130704-0421)
    Gigabyte System Model: P31-S3G
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz
    Memory: 2046MB RAM
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    Video GeForce 9400 GT 512 meg

and also crash's on

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_qfe.130704-0421)
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3700+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.2GHz (single core)
    Memory: 2048 ram
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GX2

Plan on trying it on a different win 7 computer soon

Okay, so it's not processor-specific? Since it crashes both on Athlon64 3200+, 3700+ 3800+ & on Intel Core2 E8400.

Looks like your DirectX 9.0c is the same version 4.09.0000.0904 as my friend's. Is that the most current version, or is there another build that's later? I find it difficult to find the latest DirectX build info in the web.

Looks like That's the last build of 9.0c:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX

Hmm, still wondering what differentiates crashing machines with XP from non-crashing machines with XP?

Are people crashing in the same place on machines other than XP? OR is it confined to XP users?
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Hello, I'm Troy McClure

You may remember me from such posts as "I can get in game but can't change sector" and "Only my DOFFs get to have any fun this season".
    I'm here to let you know about the wonderful experiences YOU could have IF you could get into the game as I have.

CTD when attempting to fly to another sector.
    WHITE EVERYWHERE! I got into an STF (without CTD) and it was WHITE EVERYWHERE! So white and painful I escaped and logged out before I went snow-blind.
    Character select screen where your crew are surrounded by bright white clothes and backgrounds or look like this http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2013/320/d/b/screenhunter_11_nov__15_12_59_by_drowrulesupreme-d6ug251.jpg. Land of the giant BOFFs and invisible captains.
    CTD if I try to change graphics settings.
    CTD if I try to run in fullscreen instead of maximised window.
    CTD if I go make a cup of coffee!
    LAG like you would not believe!
    MORE WHITE! My ships change to white blobs, nebulae turn white, costumes turn white or disappear.

Guys, I felt your pain upon being stuck outside the game. For those of us who do eventually get in, the problems only get MORE interesting.

Awesome! But... off-topic, since it doesn't seem to have to do with the client crashing at the point between the load screen and the character select screen. But, thanks for playing, Troy! At least you can get in, so you've got that going for you! ;)
  • Options
    enterprise1701axenterprise1701ax Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Saturday Night Blues (Star Trek Online version)

It's weekend night, Doffs throwin' a party,
    Ship's a mess, 'cause they're gettin' all gnarly,
    I see my crew, they're chillin' on Beta,
    Can't say hi, I've no workin' data,

I'm tryin' hard, to launch my computer,
    Changin' code, like a Roto-rooter,
    I'd love to play, I crash to my desktop,
    Makes me mad, Season 8 is a big flop,

I get a call, it's a friend from my homeroom,
    Asks me out, I shout "YES!" like a sonic boom,
    We cruise the mall, visit peeps who are all rad,
    Feelin' good, weekend nights -- they ain't so bad!

(And with that my dear gamers, see ya!)
  • Options
    stevencherylstevencheryl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The Question Of Whether Or Not We Are Alone In The Universe...
    (And if we can stack more than 999 post in a thread), Has Been Answered.

Yes Folks! That's Right! It's time once again...
    "The Second annual (Last 500), Most Amusing Posts Award's!"

We have a special surprise for you tonight, Weird Al will be singing "The Who's, Behind Blue Eye's",
    With lyrics like: "No-one knows what it's like, to be a le-per, to be dis-car-ded, from sea-son 8".

So with no further ado, The envelope please! (I'm happy to say the "envelope" is a little too thick to multi-quote all of the
    Amusing entries, so they have been edited for content, and time allotted. The actual post # may have changed slightly, due to deletions, etc).

rabiddsaint post 514
    "New universe on a new server. Call it 'Crash Universe' server. This is the place us degenerates that crash on load of season 8 can still play on the pre-season 8 version. We could be like the lepers of season 8 sector space but at least we could still shoot 'em up.
    Season 8 players could still visit us, but only with the fear of contracting the 'crash' disease and not being able to return to season 8 space."

For inspiring the creation of the Fleet of Lepers, and Fleet of Discarded Lepers,
    without which, we would not have a name for our home away from home.

twelveparsecs post 540
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mortuus2408 View Post
    NOTE: Maintenance has been extended to 9:45 AM.......and this is a good sign? I hope it is
    "Click here much"?

For making me laugh as much as the Putin "give that man a cookie" pic in the first 500 post.

turbomagnus post 664
    "I've even been out in this big ground map looking place with green ground and a blue ceiling or something... no thermostat, though, it seems, cold place..."
    For showing such incredible bravery, to explore strange new worlds, and boldly going where no sto gamer has gone before.

drowrulesupreme post 682
    "Me again.
    You may remember me from such posts as "I used my wife's computer and it was fine" and "I rolled back my drivers and I'm now in". Well, I can get in, I can fly around and I can DOFF.
    I change sector space and have a less than 50% chance of reaching the next sector, it's mostly CTD".

For breaking through to the other side, Our new Fleet of Lepers Announcer and Ambassador to The Sphere.

royalsovereign post 745
    "Please refer to (twitter/forum/Aunt Martha) for the latest updates on this situation."
    For reminding us, that for fixes and updates, Aunt Martha is second to none!

txspartan post 748
    "*walks in*
    Hey, is anyone else experiencing problems with the game just cra...
    *looks around at the legion of people here, holds up ticket #18897741 and tries to find an empty seat somewhere*"

The Best Entrance Award.

chroma01 post 759
    "It's the latest Academy test: The No-Play Scenario... no amount of original thinking is going to get you out of it!"
    For announcing, and introducing a map, that actually does work as intended...flawlessly".

halfpint71ky post 736
    "you will be assimulated to the fleet of lepers!
    sig=Proud member Fleet of Lepers since 11/12/2013"

For showing Leper Pride, Above and Beyond, with his Signature.

halfpint71ky post 556
    "old MacCyrptic had a game... E-I-E-I-Ooo with crash-crash here and Bug-bug there... here a crash there a bug everywhere a crash or bug... E-I-E-I-oooooh".
    Special Thanks for providing our soundtrack, because after all, Weird Al ain't really here.

halfpint71ky post 990
    "i always knew there was something slightly suspicious about a big purple dinosaur showing love and compassion... BARNEY WAS A SPY!
    For Uncovering the Voth Spy Barney Plot and discovering the root of all that really ails us".

halfpint71ky post 842
    "Hey one of the other developers the ones that aren't available to work on our crash could you please bring us a few more chairs... and the coffee pot needs a refill... Thanks'!
    For the Best Showing of Work Delegation, as never before seen at Cryptic.

wpace2 post 846
    "I call dibbs on the next player's boots when ever another player gets tossed in here".
    For coming into possesion of the most updated in fashion footwear, (don't mind the "clipping").

aletodis post 847
    "Genetic power is the most awesome force the planet's ever seen, but you wield it on this faster-carelessly update like a kid that's found his dad's gun".
    For reminding us that dinosaurs, (new heavily flawed seasons), should have never been allowed off the Island, (Tribble Test Server).

admrenlarreck post 848
    "Recipe for Hasparet.
    http://www.food.com/recipe/hasperat-348451"

For bringing us wonderful recipes to go with our coffee, tea, and discontent.
    (btw, it's setting 4 on the phaser).

txspartan post984
    "Our latest content update, Season 8: The Sphere, is now live on Holodeck for many other players!"
    For properly editing the bugs out of the email from Star Trek Online, announcing the Season 8 content update.

raventomoe post 997
    "3 posts from 100...let see if we can get enough pages so that we can claim we are OVER 9000!"
    For reminding me to tell you all, there's no way in hell, I'm going to host this Award Show again. Let alone 18 more freakin' times!

But it's been fun, thanks for all your wonderfully amusing posts.

Thanks for Coming! And Goodnight!
    Steve@SCCreations - Fleet General - Persistent Officer Title & Accolade
    Deceiver's Lair Fleet
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Wow I am speachless ummm ok maybe not. Its great to be listed in that. I am simply trying to keep the mood light. Thank you!

BTW I was wondering if there would there be enough interested parties to actually form the Fleet of Lepers in game?

We each grab an alt and put it in. Open door policy for us only restriction would be we have to have suffered from the crashes.

Starbase wouldnt matter We could start it for fc's for the alts if you want the gear though go to your main fleet grab it then come back.

just a thought.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • Options
    raventomoeraventomoe Member Posts: 723 Arc User
    edited November 2013

raventomoe post 997
    "3 posts from 100...let see if we can get enough pages so that we can claim we are OVER 9000!"
    For reminding me to tell you all, there's no way in hell, I'm going to host this Award Show again. Let alone 18 more freakin' times!

But but...who is going to amuse us with awards! :( Me a sad Captain...either that or I am seriously suffering STO withdrawal.:confused:

EDIT: Besides, someone has to be there to give the award away for to the person who says "IT'S OVER 9000!" at the 9001 post in this thread.
    "The Multiverse, the ultimate frontier..."
    Thus begins...Lyrical Trek
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Kudos to Stevecheryl for taking the time to host the awards... not once but twice... you have a very creative imagination... and Thanks from all of us for taking the time and effort to entertain us... especially those of us who won an award ;) your awesome...I hope you win the door prize lol
    Proud Member of the Order of persistence, Chief of Investigations"Persistent Officer"since 11/12/13...:P 600 strong and growing...all phages, vidians, other outcasts welcome, note: all new members BYOC (bring your own chair) please and thank you! Five time winner in 1st and 2nd annual last 500 tied for top 2000 @halfpint71ky
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Kudos to Stevecheryl for taking the time to host the awards... not once but twice... you have a very creative imagination... and Thanks from all of us for taking the time and effort to entertain us... especially those of us who won an award ;) your awesome...I hope you win the door prize lol

Thank you,... Thank you very much.
    But I couldn't have done it without all of you.
    Especially you halfpint71ky, with multiple entries!...lol

Thanks for keeping us laughing.

And, Your quite welcome.
    Deceiver's Lair Fleet
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    captainscott1977captainscott1977 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Due to boredom, I updated my pc from xp professional to win 7 ultimate today. Installed all new drivers for everything. I spent all day redownloading STO and....nothing.

I didnt expect to get in,as others have tried this as well. But once the fix is done, at least me pc will be updated.

I guess I will go back to playing Mass Effect series until then.

Hopefully we will all be in this coming week.
  • Options
    nolann1nolann1 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Just like JennyLuve, I just deleted the ' piggs ' folder completely , and also the ' prepatch ' folder (to get rid of ALL Patch files , and then launched the game again , so it would Automatically re-download all PATCH FILES... and it did, and I could get into STO with all areas , including the new Season 8 areas/maps working... Hope this helps all. ~ Nolan
  • Options
    cmdrbensoncmdrbenson Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    what other games does Cryptic have that I can play till STO is back up
    Admiral Sash
    Commanding Officer
    Federation One
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    nolann1 wrote: »
    Just like JennyLuve, I just deleted the ' piggs ' folder completely , and also the ' prepatch ' folder (to get rid of ALL Patch files , and then launched the game again , so it would Automatically re-download all PATCH FILES... and it did, and I could get into STO with all areas , including the new Season 8 areas/maps working... Hope this helps all. ~ Nolan

I couldn't find a JennyLuve in searching this thread, but I think your referring to the launcher
    patching updater problem in a few posts,(ie: "ok got a fix been stuk in a patch loop on finnal part of 225mb patch it keeped crashing at 95%"), which seems (to me), a different problem altogether from the game crashing on startup.

cmdrbenson wrote: »
    what other games does Cryptic have that I can play till STO is back up
    I thought I just saw a few pages ago, that someone reported 2 or 3 other (pwe) games were being effected in the same way.
    Deceiver's Lair Fleet
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    is neverwinter having the same problem
    Admiral Sash
    Commanding Officer
    Federation One
  • Options
    kakerookakeroo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    the ads for STO around the webs are making me sad
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    crash club # 18897741

Win xp SP3
    AMD athlon(tm) 64 x2 duel core 4400+ 2.2 GHz
    2GB performance value RAM
    ATI radion 1900 GT
    ASUS A8SX

proccessor says 64 but only 32bit programs install

should i get better RAM?
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Don't Worry Kakeroo. it will get fixed
    . DO this though Check your Patch Trivia File and tell me what you see for Seasons.

Cause I have a feeling that it was written wrong and they put in Season 9 instead of 8
    Admiral Sash
    Commanding Officer
    Federation One
  • Options
    jimbobbubbajimbobbubba Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130801-1533)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
    System Model: HP Compaq nx6325 (GP751USR#ABA)
    BIOS: EPP runtime BIOS - Version 1.1
    Processor: AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60 (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
    Memory: 3072MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 2944MB RAM
    Page File: 1474MB used, 4410MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

DxDiag Notes
    Display Tab 1: No problems found.
    Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
    Input Tab: No problems found.
  • Options
    jimbobbubbajimbobbubba Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    i think i am MORE PISSED thet they are having a 15% zen purchase increase promotion the same weekend it is down and expect US THE leper fleet to buy zen to get the discount. why give ANY MONEY FOR DAMAGED GOODS.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    aside from this game being in two different file folders

D:program files/ Perfect world
    and
    D:STO

i cannot find anything labeled patch to find the info request, can you provide a command path?

thanks
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    go into your Program Files, Cryptic Studios, Star Trek online FILE.

the Live File and then the Patch File

Open the Text Document called Patch_Trivia and the information that your looking for is down at the bottom
    Admiral Sash
    Commanding Officer
    Federation One
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    kakeroo wrote: »
    aside from this game being in two different file folders

D:program files/ Perfect world
    and
    D:STO

i cannot find anything labeled patch to find the info request, can you provide a command path?

thanks

here's how i got there... my computer right click on hard drive (mine is listed as C) then explore... program files /cryptic studios/live/.patch/patch trivia its a text file open to notepad at the bottom it says on mine also season 9
    ... hope this is what you needed...
  • Options
    tomatosquish42tomatosquish42 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    For what it is worth I checked mine as well, also says season 9.

That being said, blame me. Shortly after I started playing there was the bug with the launcher failing to update. This went on and on and on until I quit. Now I came back and after a few months boom new bug that wont let a huge chunk of the base play.
  • Options
    captinwh0captinwh0 Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Okay, so it's not processor-specific? Since it crashes both on Athlon64 3200+, 3700+ 3800+ & on Intel Core2 E8400.

Looks like your DirectX 9.0c is the same version 4.09.0000.0904 as my friend's. Is that the most current version, or is there another build that's later? I find it difficult to find the latest DirectX build info in the web.

Looks like That's the last build of 9.0c:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX

Hmm, still wondering what differentiates crashing machines with XP from non-crashing machines with XP?

Are people crashing in the same place on machines other than XP? OR is it confined to XP users?

dont think diretx is an issue as iv pointed out this issue is on.

xp

vista

win7

win8

mac

linux ubuntu

linux mint

so we can most certenly cross out direct x

(EDIT)
    nerf.jpg]
This discussion has been closed.