What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Re: The Voth's Bio-Engineered Dinos

Comments

• Options
    brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It would make perfect sense. Dinos with laser beams are fast, and we'd need a decent vehicle to travel around in... like an Argo. It even looks right: http://imgur.com/qtlhbxi

And because Mechs, we surely need a bazooka with which to blow them up.

EDIT: Not sure why my thread was merged with this thread when it wasn't to do with dinos and lasers, but rather mounts and new gameplay weapons and mechanics, but whatever. Keep stifling ideas, Cryptic!
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dixoniumdixonium Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Ridiculous? Perhaps. Awesome? Undeniably. Fighting the Voth is going to be a blast.
  • Options
    hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    My post in the Dev Blog thread applies here.
    hanover2 wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Just because we never saw it on-screen doesn't make it unthinkable in the Trek universe. Cybernetics in the Borg, Bynars, etc. The Trill host/symbiant relationship. Klingons keeping live Targs on their ships just so they can eat fresh meat. People still ride horses on Earth. It is easily within the realm of possibility in this universe that a species descended from dinosaurs would engineer a primitive animal for menial service and combat duties.

The fact that you don't like it does not grant you sole veto power over what is plausible in Trek.
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Starships, Mechs , and Dinosaurs...Oh my
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    aegon1iceaegon1ice Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Can I have one Dino as a pet? Pleaaasee. I need a pet to welcome unwelcome guests after materializing on the transporter pad:D

I like the art and design. I just hope they don't act like Armek and just one-shot you.
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    regardless of what people say here, come december everyone is going to be spending hours upon hours shooting dinosaurs. :D
  • Options
    spotter5spotter5 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Bringing up the whole 'how come we never found any traces of them' theme.

You're thinking like a human, we litter and desecrate everything we touch. So we leave a lot behind. Perhaps the early Voth believed in a life in balance with nature, and that everything they made was designed to bio degrade quickly and they recylced etc. lack of fossils of them could be put down to them cremating or otherwise destroying the body as part of their religion/doctrine/culture/etc
  • Options
    endorfinatorendorfinator Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    For those of you concerned about velociraptors taking over the dyson sphere, they have implants to control them.
  • Options
    hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    kortaag wrote: »
    Really? Yeah I really dislike creativity. You should come over for a book burning I regularly hold on sundays. It's got generic water and unsalted crackers cause I wouldn't want anybody to have too much fun.

Really lame, fella.

And yet you have no comment towards the other points I made in my post. And you have the gall to call me lame? Really? Then what about every other thing I said in my post? Or does it not compute?
    wast33 wrote: »
    sry, but:
    - we already have "lightsabres" (yeah, we do)

- they created 14 new ships for voth and not a single kdf for a loooong time?

- they designed 14 ships that all of the people i talked about with would label as star
    wars ships or handguns

- they're adding dinosaurs with frikking lazerz on their head... that sketch just looks like
    a blank copy of some toys from the 80's (yep, it has been there)

What do lightsabres have to do with anything? This isn't star wars... XD.

Edit: I fail to see how the Voth ships resemble any star wars ships other than the Mon Cal cruisers, and even then that's pushing it. I do see the resemblance to some weapons from Halo: Reach, but other than that... nope.

As for the new ships? They did the same thing with the release of the Romulans. They did the same thing with the release of the 2800 arc, the breen, the Hirogen, the Tholians, and so on and so forth. And only NOW you're going to complain?

Or do you just fail to see the actual fun behind what they are doing here?

I see this as Cryptic finally taking a step OUT of the proverbial canon box and actually doing something creative and of their own design. And I see that creativity and actual removal from the sanctified canonical sources to be a good thing. A very good thing that brings actual life into a game, instead of having it revolve around in it's rut. This part is directed at you as well OP.
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm sure that will be arrange able. We're likely to get the costumes as Foundry assets, thus we'll be able to make non-enemy NPCs that look like dinos, thus allowing you to use the Amp on them. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    regardless of what people say here, come december everyone is going to be spending hours upon hours shooting dinosaurs. :D

I don't know about you, but my motive will be driving them back into frakking extinction. And I'll be doing it with orbital bombardment under the auspices of General Order 24.

ATTN: Cryptic:

Fine line between silly and stupid. This entire proposal falls into the stupid category.

That is all.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    coupaholic wrote: »
    I just have one request. And that is to have SHARKS...with FRIKKIN' laser beams attached to their heads!

Had to be done :D

EDIT: Gah! Ninja'd...sort of.
    Add a tornado with those sharks, and you'll have a shaknado ! With lasers !
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mailman650mailman650 Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I think the laser dinos are too fantasy for my tastes but the rest of what I've seen of the Voth is pretty cool.
  • Options
    wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited October 2013

yep your right. this isn't star wars, but though we got lightsabers lready. pick the sword from nuk-rep and swing it some time against some npc's heads, you'll geit it then.
    Edit: I fail to see how the Voth ships resemble any star wars ships other than the Mon Cal cruisers, and even then that's pushing it. I do see the resemblance to some weapons from Halo: Reach, but other than that... nope.

then why that one ship looks almost like a nebulon-b (may the other way round, but shape fits). also u may have a look on episode 1-3, may you see some more similarities.
    As for the new ships? They did the same thing with the release of the Romulans. They did the same thing with the release of the 2800 arc, the breen, the Hirogen, the Tholians, and so on and so forth. And only NOW you're going to complain?
    nope, not now. did it quite sooner. u know, the point when cryptic killed my last belief that there'll ever be honesty about kdf and pvp.

Or do you just fail to see the actual fun behind what they are doing here?

I see this as Cryptic finally taking a step OUT of the proverbial canon box and actually doing something creative and of their own design. And I see that creativity and actual removal from the sanctified canonical sources to be a good thing. A very good thing that brings actual life into a game, instead of having it revolve around in it's rut. This part is directed at you as well OP.

to u it's fun? nice, enjoy. to me it's not. that quite simple.

they gonna release T-REX WITH FRICKING LAZERZZZ ON THEIR HEAD.
    yep... i got several probs with that and i won't share now cause u can read about most of them here posted by others.

this game isn't about "walking out of the canon-box". it's about star trek, at least that's what it says in the title.
    i guess u like jj trek? i do not, cause it's not star trek ;)...
  • Options
    mreeves7amreeves7a Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I love these threads.

Forums: "STO isn't trek enough!"
    Devs: "Okay, here are some Strange New Worlds to explore."
    Forums: "But those aren't the right Strange New Worlds! Change it now!"

To the Voth pet haters, I must respectfully disagree. I am looking forward to the new content; regardless of the nerdrage inducing wrongness you think it radiates.
  • Options
    vocmcpvocmcp Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It's quite easy to overlook this but there's an official reply to all the moaners. I've posted it here so people interested can see it without reading and searching the entire thread. I'd thus appreciate this not being moved. If you'd like to discuss it please use the appropriate thread: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=884031
    General reply:

Obviously putting dinosaurs in Trek has been a bit controversial. As a team, we also thought it was a bit controversial, but decided it made for really good gameplay and art opportunities and ultimately was too awesome and fun not to do. We also think it makes a lot of sense for a scientifically driven, technologically advanced formerly-dinosaur species - after all, our modern military uses trained Dogs and Klingons have used Targs in combat for years by this point. While some posters lament that actual dinosaurs were never seen on Trek (and therefore state that we shouldn't be using them), Trek has always been about exploring strange worlds with strange lifeforms that are subtly different from but similar to our own. The Voth military's choice to use engineered animals as tools can be a lens by which to examine our own human behaviors towards our less-evolved (or just differently-evolved?) mammalian brethren. Also, dinosaurs would have been awesome to see on any Star Trek show, but probably prohibitively expensive to do properly in terms of special effects.

I don't want to go too much in to story detail, both because that'd be spoilers and because I'm not a content designer, but the team here has put a lot of thought and effort into properly characterizing the Voth and making sure it makes sense that players are somewhat in conflict with them. While you do fight the Voth in the Dyson Sphere, they're not straightforward antagonists the same way the Elachi or other similar races were - instead, there's a drastic conflict of interest over what essentially is a natural resource, and that conflict fuels further confrontation between all factions involved.

This may be little comfort to those of you who object strenuously to the inclusion of our mighty fictional terrible lizards, but I hope you at least enjoy the inside view into the development and decision-making process that was behind the creation of the Voth. I'm a little biased, but I think they're *really* fun to play against, so I hope you'll give them a fair shake and try some combat against them when Season 8 arrives!

Original: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=12934701&postcount=102
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I still vote General Order 24 on the whole scenario.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    thedarklighter01thedarklighter01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    There is nothing wrong with the Voth. The key will be in how they are introduced and the backstory. It has to be believable in game.

Its the Star Trek Universe, the possibilities are limitless, if you don't understand that then you really missed the entire concept behind the show.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    My response to the dino complaints is "go be un-fun somewhere else."
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    My response to the ones responding about the dino-haters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFZrzg62Zj0
  • Options
    tonyalmeida2tonyalmeida2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Player usable mechs and dinomounts are required.
    pvp = small package
  • Options
    ammonitidaammonitida Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This will be a great update with a lot of cool content. I would like to see stuff like this,

1. Spaceships shaped like your favorite dinosaurs. A Triceratops themed ship with horns mounted on the hull that has a damage boost to "ramming speed".

2. Hanger wings composed of Pterodactyls wearing environmental suits.

3. New ground pets like baby raptors and stegosauruses.

4. Epic boss fights for ground missions, featuring T-Rexes with mounted rockets.

5. Planets with friendly and hostile dinosaur wildlife. It would be better than spraying swarms of insects on New Romulus or killing Dune Worms on Nopada.

6. New science space abilities, like "meteor strike", where a ship launches a meteor at foes. When high yield is active, it becomes a single doomsday meteor with huge damage potential, inspired by the meteor that drove them from earth 65 millions years ago.

7. Dinosaur mounts. The ability to ride a Gallimimus would be cool.

8. Prehistoric mammals should also be included, such as mammoths and the giant sloth. At least as pets.

9. Raptor Voth being the most intelligent of the Voth and occupying the highest positions in the government. The grunt Voth would be the plant eaters.

10. A series of daily rescue missions, where you go to save various lifeforms from extinction. Some of these missions would have you shooting down a multitude of comets and meteors.
  • Options
    kortaagkortaag Member Posts: 525
    edited October 2013
    And yet you have no comment towards the other points I made in my post.

Until you address me as an adult, I'm not going to argue with you. If you'd like to prove otherwise, you could start with an apology.

Step out of the proverbial canon box? That is your own advice.
    May good management be with you.
  • Options
    rex9234rex9234 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Have you no class? Regardless of cigar room nods at ridiculous ideas.. This idea is still awful. People in power make terrible mistakes all the time. This is just another BP oil spill in the making. At least most of the players in the PVP area think its awful.

Can we get a Pegasus too.. with lasers on their heads?

Who cares about PvPers any ways there all just badass wanabes with over sized egos that only talk ****
  • Options
    hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Until you address me as an adult, I'm not going to argue with you. If you'd like to prove otherwise, you could start with an apology.

Ok... at what point did I stop treating you as an adult? And why do you want to be treated as an adult on the internet? And I never did anything to insult you, so I have no reason to apologize. You were the one who started off with the derogatory comments. I was merely voicing an observation.
    Step out of the proverbial canon box? That is your own advice.

Still don't see the correlation.
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • Options
    johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    orangeitis wrote: »
    Not just lasers. Frickin' lasers.

And if anyone complains about dinosaurs in Star Trek I believe want to subconsciously limit what's possible in the universe. These Dino Riders are completely plausible in-universe.

Hmm as i read this.. Maybe we have all been trolled and "Frickin" is some sort of word in voth language and the name of their weapons. I wonder what kind of proc "Frickin" lasers have. Since normally lasers are quite oldschool compared to phasers.

Also will we get elite fleet frickin laser dual heavy cannons or will they be restricted to frickin laser beams?