test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Feature Enabled for Gold Members! (Out-of-Game Chat via XMPP)

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    If (translated to the Cryptic chat system) you mean the ability to join Channels, then yes. Not Fleet channels though as permissions for those are character-linked. But any Global channels your @name has permissions for.

Sorry, I may need to clarify, Trillian released an Android client, i was specifally asking the other guy about it, he edited his original post after he got it working so you can't tell what he was referring too.

I want to know if the new Trillan Android client will work with channels. (MUC)
    edited December 2010
    I want to know if the new Trillan Android client will work with channels. (MUC)

Ahh. I don't know about Trillian for Android specifically, just the PC version. If T for A* has the full range of feature support that other Trillian versions do, than it does. If it's stripped down, maybe not. Helpful answer, eh? :o

*Oh my, that sounds naughty.
    edited January 2011
    Unable to connect to the XMPP service today. I think CrypticSpace.com may be unavailable for whatever reason.

Anyone know what the deelio is? We use it to connect our station's IRC channel to the in-game folks chat channel.

Thanks!

www.trekradio.net
    edited January 2011
    Tone-Loc wrote: »
    Unable to connect to the XMPP service today. I think CrypticSpace.com may be unavailable for whatever reason.

Anyone know what the deelio is? We use it to connect our station's IRC channel to the in-game folks chat channel.

Thanks!

www.trekradio.net

I had the same trouble this morning, i logged a ticket but not sure if that was necessary. so far no response.
    edited January 2011
    Tone-Loc wrote: »

Thanks!

www.trekradio.net

Thank goodness! I thought it was just me. I redownloaded my Pidgin client and everything trying to fix it and gave up.
    edited January 2011
    Thanks for the info guys, I thought I was the only one who couldn't log into Pidgin too, or the Millennium Bug was 11 years late, lol.
    edited January 2011
    So the problem is not on my end then, good to know!

Hoping for a fix or at least a statement by the devs on the issue.
    edited January 2011
    I hope they get this fixed soon. This was one of my favorite features of STO and it made managing my fleet so much easier.
    edited January 2011
    Here was the response i got from my ticket, guess there is no need to log tickets for tribble features:
    CUSTOMER SERVICE RESPONSES:
    Greetings, Thank you for contacting us regarding your issue with using XMPP. XMPP is still in the testing stages. As such, connectivity will be intermittent. Tribble is where the main focus of the test is. For more information on this tool and progress with it, please read the following page on the forums: New Feature Enabled for PTS users! http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?p=2706970 Thank you for playing! Atari Support
    edited January 2011
    Certainly ironic to direct you back here...
    edited January 2011
    Any information on what's broken? ;)
    edited January 2011
    If you go by the thread title, it's not broken. It's just a new feature for testing. :P
    edited January 2011
    Here was the response i got from my ticket, guess there is no need to log tickets for tribble features:

Isn't that funny though. When it is up and running, the only people i can talk to are the ones on holodeck- usually.
    edited January 2011
    xmpp is back up fellas
    edited January 2011
    xmpp is back up fellas

Awesome, Thanks!
    edited January 2011
    Hooray! Thanks to whoever fixed it! :D
    edited January 2011
    Apparently the Jabiru guy(s) rewrote the app and released a 2.0 version and it works now where it did not when i was reviewing xmpp apps last time.
    I'm writing this guide for version 2.1.

Once installed go into the account setting and configure as follows:
    Jabber ID: loginname@crypticspace.com
    Password: self explanatory
    Resource: i believe this is optional but i used the first part of my @ name so mine is RussellThomas@Russell-KV4S so i used RussellThomas in this field.
    security mode should be enabled by default but if not enable it.
    that should do it as far as connecting.

Menu>Options
    set as you prefer, see MUC notifications on 2.1!

once back at the main screen hit Menu>Connect

Now for Channels:
    hit Menu>Conference
    Host: channels.crypticspace.com
    Room: channel name
    Nick: last part of @ Name in my case Russell-KV4S (for RussellThomas@Russell-KV4S)
    Password: leave blank (unless you know your channel uses one)
    hit join

good luck and happy chatting!
    edited January 2011
    is server down?
    edited January 2011
    Not that I can tell.
    edited January 2011
    I'm on via pidgin right now as well.
    edited January 2011
    It was working last night for me,but seems to be down again when I tried to connect just there.
    edited January 2011
    spark88 wrote: »
    It was working last night for me,but seems to be down again when I tried to connect just there.

it seems to go up and down from time to time but yes it appears to be down currently, i can't connect either.

whoever sees it back up first post it here.
    edited January 2011
    k it's back!!
    edited January 2011
    its back again lol
    edited January 2011
    looks like XMPP is down again, i think the account server went offline last night but they are saying it's back now, however it must have affected the XMPP access.
    edited January 2011
    looks like XMPP is down again, i think the account server went offline last night but they are saying it's back now, however it must have affected the XMPP access.

I was using it earlier today and it just stopped working suddenly approximately 3 hours ago from this post apparently according to my pidgin chat log.
    edited January 2011
    cant login aswell
    edited January 2011
    It would be nice if they would let us know when its going down and coming back up.
    edited January 2011
    To Cryptic Team:
    While this is a beta feature we've come to expect the temporary usually short lived outages. If I can't connect i usually give it several minutes to hours and try again, and usually it will work the next time.

However, like today it's gone down and it's obviously something that needs to be address internally to get it going again. Getting up and and going is probably something simple like reboot the server or restart a service and all is good.

So, what is the best way to log a legitimate outage?

Logging a ticket is not an option because they just pointed me back here since it's beta feature.
    Is this forum post the best way report an outage? If so the last 2 major outages took several hours to days to get resolved. I don't think that it took that long to resolve, meaning i don't think anyone was looking at the problem for the duration of the outage, i just don't think anyone knew to check on it and when they did look were able to resolve quickly. I don't know this for sure just my opinion.

Is there a particular person or team that can be contacted by email or twitter?

Should a separate post be created just for outages that someone at cryptic will be looking at?

If no process exist for reporting the xmpp outage can something be created?

I think any of us that heavily use this feature are people that interact with their fleet a lot or are fleet managers. I think this (outside of the game) is one of most important features to enhancing a persons multilayer part of the MMO experience. I appreciate you making this feature available to the beta testers and would love to see it go to Holodeck soon!

This post is by no means a complaint, I just want to know what is the best solution.

Thanks, Russell Thomas
    edited January 2011
    After more then half a year of beta (and its been doing awesome in most of that time; clearly one of the best things they ever added), it would be great if that service gets a bit of dev attention to reach the uptime quality of a regular service (especially the weekends seem to need an uptime improvement).
This discussion has been closed.