test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Feature Enabled for Gold Members! (Out-of-Game Chat via XMPP)

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    I've heard good things of Beejive - I HAVE NOT TRIED IT MYSELF (Big disclaimer ;-))

Could be worth a look.

Trying to figure out - can I add the fleet chat channel to this?
    edited April 2011
    this is awesome. just tested it with fleeties, we do have our own custom channel but unable to connect to it but can connect to another custom channel. only other problem i have is when i join a chat channel, snarl spam's my screen with who is in the channel then spams me of who joins the channel and who left it.
    edited May 2011
    It's not working for me. Pidgin gives an error "Not Acceptable". What's going on?
    edited May 2011
    For the error "Unacceptable" I think you're not allowed to have spaces. So, try a "." or an "_".

As far as joining a public channel -- if there is a space in the name, use the '+' sign. Ie: My+Channel will get you into "My Channel" :)

Cheers & Good luck.
    edited May 2011
    Methos5k wrote:
    For the error "Unacceptable" I think you're not allowed to have spaces. So, try a "." or an "_".

As far as joining a public channel -- if there is a space in the name, use the '+' sign. Ie: My+Channel will get you into "My Channel" :)

Cheers & Good luck.

I didn't have any spaces in my information.

However, I changed the Resouce from "IM" to "Bommy" (Don't ask :P) and it worked. Maybe it wasn't long enough?
    edited May 2011
    i can send but cant receive messages from friends :confused:
    edited June 2011
    Trying to help a friend....
    Has anyone found a MAC (computer not iphone/ipad) IM client that works with STO IM and works with the user channels?
    If so, can you post the name of the client and the settings needed to make it work?

Thanks, Russell
    edited July 2011
    my best guess is since Pidgin is a Linux based app, you can make MAC accept it like any other app by installing APT-GET and running 'apt-get install pidgin' but I AM NOT SURE
    edited August 2011
    I have a few toons in various fleets and once I found out I could join fleet chat (in addition to global channels) via Pidgin, I wanted to try it (instructions here).

For one of the fleets, I can add the chat to my buddy list but when I double click it I get the error:
    Error joining chat holodeck!fleet+name@guilds.crypticspace.com

Registration Required
    (here I've substituted Fleet Name for "fleet+name")

I've talked to the fleet leader and while he doesn't use Pidgin, he says there shouldn't be anything weird with the privacy settings. I've tried this logged into and out of the game, and when logged onto different characters but get the same error. Any help?
    edited August 2011
    I have a few toons in various fleets and once I found out I could join fleet chat (in addition to global channels) via Pidgin, I wanted to try it (instructions here).

For one of the fleets, I can add the chat to my buddy list but when I double click it I get the error:

(here I've substituted Fleet Name for "fleet+name")

I've talked to the fleet leader and while he doesn't use Pidgin, he says there shouldn't be anything weird with the privacy settings. I've tried this logged into and out of the game, and when logged onto different characters but get the same error. Any help?

First of all you need to have a character in that fleet for it to work. Then

channel, holodeck!fleet+name+here
    room: [email]guilds.crypticspace.com[/email]
    add chat

edited August 2011

room: guilds@crypticspace.com
    add chat

wait what how did you get it to work? i still can't get it to open in pidgin, i got 2 of the rooms but they don't open when i double click on them.
    edited August 2011
    I've gotten it to work in both pidgin & instantbird. It is guilds.crypticspace.com not guilds@crypticspace.com. everything after holodeck! is your fleetname with a + sign instead of spaces.
    edited August 2011
    nvm i got fleet chat partially working by enabeling xmpp service discovery plugin in pidginIM, but its only recieving messages from ingame and its not able to transmit to the ingame fleet channel atm for some reason.
    edited August 2011

room: guilds.crypticspace.com
    add chat

Yes, I have three toons in that fleet and did all those things. I got it to work for all the fleets my toons are in except this particular one. Anyone know why its saying registration required (as stated previously, fleet leader has no idea)?
    edited August 2011
    Can anyone recommend a good chat client for Android since Pidgin isn't available on that platform as of yet?
    edited August 2011
    awesome it works :D finally got into my fleet's custom channel
    edited August 2011
    Yes, I have three toons in that fleet and did all those things. I got it to work for all the fleets my toons are in except this particular one. Anyone know why its saying registration required (as stated previously, fleet leader has no idea)?

I have no idea why it won't work either.
    edited August 2011
    JCSWW wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good chat client for Android since Pidgin isn't available on that platform as of yet?

Jabiru and Xabber for Android.

Go back several post for more info. Also my Sig has a guide.
    edited August 2011
    Jabiru and Xabber for Android.

Go back several post for more info. Also my Sig has a guide.

I installed both of those and I prefered the interface of Xabber. Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to correctly access the various chat channels I was looking for. Jabiru looks a bit horrible in my opinion and it doesn't scale properly to the screen of my Sidekick 4G. As a result, I didn't really try to setup the chat channels.

Edit: Got Xabber working pefectly. It's a bit picky with the settings but it works, it's a nice and clean interface, etc. The secret to getting Xabber to work is to use all lower casing when setting up Confrence (the name of the channel). On top of that, if your handle includes capitals (like mine), it must be your exact handle that follows the @ sign.
    edited August 2011
    JCSWW wrote: »
    I installed both of those and I prefered the interface of Xabber. Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to correctly access the various chat channels I was looking for. Jabiru looks a bit horrible in my opinion and it doesn't scale properly to the screen of my Sidekick 4G. As a result, I didn't really try to setup the chat channels.

Sorry to hear that, other than those, there really aren't other apps that work (at least at the time i tested).
    What channels are you having trouble with?

What size screen is the sidekick? I have access to the Jabiru developer and I could mention it. My phone has low res compared to others but i thought it looked great myself.
    edited August 2011
    jabiru hasn't worked for me in a long time, I'll try Xabber.
    edited August 2011
    The Sidekick 4G has a 3.5 inch screen on it and the resolution is 480 X 858. It's not the greatest but I bought the device for quick messaging primarily. I'll install Jabiru again. The next time you're on the developer side of it, mention how nice Xabber's interface is. :P

Edit: Installed Jabiru and Xabber again. With Xabber, I can't get the confrences setup for some reason properly. Keeps saying I haven't joined chat I have the settings in there and added the confrence. With Jabiru, it keeps telling me wrong username or password. Both are correct! I've retyped them numerious times and the same TRIBBLE. With the scaling, it's in portrait mode. the Jabiru and Connect button are partially obscured.
    edited August 2011
    Try using http://www.webxmpp.com
    at the top of the screen you'd enter
    your username (in-game @handle) the server, (CrypticSpace.com), and password (cryptic account Password)

then, once connected, under the chat panel click on conference rooms.
    for a global channel, Room: Global+Channel+Name@channels.crypticspace.com
    or a guild/fleet channel, Room: My+Fleet+Name@guilds.crypticspace.com

if you want your character name to be different than your @handle, enter it to the right of the ENTER button.

The only problem... it doesn't show the user name for the people that are chatting...
    and you may have to scroll up to see each post, unless you use the mini window. next to the talk to room, there is a button on the far right. mouse over shows Launch Mini

it makes it useable, but still shows no name.
    edited September 2011
    I am using Xabber to access the chat servers offline. I have been able to get my friends list and custom channels to show up, as well as fleet members who are online. What I have not been able to work is fleet chat. I am using the guilds.crypticspace.com and entering in the fleets name in the proper fields as well as the same nickname that I entered to access the custom channels. Has anyone been able to get fleet chat to work through Xabber? If so, how?
    edited September 2011
    I am using Xabber to access the chat servers offline. I have been able to get my friends list and custom channels to show up, as well as fleet members who are online. What I have not been able to work is fleet chat. I am using the guilds.crypticspace.com and entering in the fleets name in the proper fields as well as the same nickname that I entered to access the custom channels. Has anyone been able to get fleet chat to work through Xabber? If so, how?

fleet chat has worked intermittently since I found out it was available. The last week or so instead of working with pidgin I have been getting this:

Error joining chat holodeck!”fleet”@guilds.crypticspace.com
    service unavailable

So, I don’t believe it is just you or Xabber.
    edited September 2011
    Thanks for the response. I guess I will just try it on an off to see if it is back up and running. Would anyone be able to tell me if I am entering the information correctly?

MULTI USER CHAT SERVER: guilds.crypticspace.com
    CONFERENCE: TRIBBLE.
    NICK: (my username)

Just want to make sure that I got everything right and that it is more than likely a problem with the chat server. Thanks to all!
    edited September 2011
    Thanks for the response. I guess I will just try it on an off to see if it is back up and running. Would anyone be able to tell me if I am entering the information correctly?

Just want to make sure that I got everything right and that it is more than likely a problem with the chat server. Thanks to all!

that looks correct, now the user created channels are working fine, if your fleet has created a chat channel that should be fine.... we use it vs the fleet chat for our communication.
    edited September 2011

I believe it should be holodeck!TRIBBLE. for conference.

That being said, fleet chat isn't showing up in Instantbird either so it's probably down right now.
    edited September 2011
    Error joining chat holodeck!”fleet”@guilds.crypticspace.com
    service unavailable

it appears the fleet chat is back up, i an mo longer getting that error and i can connect to my fleet's chat via pidgin.
    edited September 2011
    I still get the "Registration Required" bug I detailed here but it only happens for one of the 3 fleets I'm in.
This discussion has been closed.