test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New Feature Enabled for Gold Members! (Out-of-Game Chat via XMPP)

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Now,
    I'm trying a trial version of BeeJiveIM for 30 days. it seems to connect without error to MUC but I have not had a successful test (i think due to my channel not having activity at the times i'm trying). I'll report back when i know for sure. it does seem to disconnect me often but i'm not sure if it's the server, program, data provider, ect.. If it actually works i'll gladly pay the $10 for the full version!

BeeJive:
    Well I can read what people are posting in the MUC but nothing i post is going in. I've contacted BeeJive support to see if they will/can help.
    I also seem to be disconnected from the MUC fairly often... when i try to reconnect says call error no response from server but then the MUC seems to say i'm connected again.

Jabbrod:
    heard from Jabbroid, they said they only support basic muc not full, talked like they would eventually but no idea when.

Jappix.com
    after inputing credentials on web just sits there trying to login doesn't seem to work at all, could be a temporary thing.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    And how is this any better than the current in game chat system? Or is it just so you can chat with people when you are not in game? If that is the case... I don't even run my Yahoo messenger 99.9% of the time... why would I want to add yet another chat program to the list of stuff I don't use?

Seriously, I can't see the point of this at all.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    And how is this any better than the current in game chat system? Or is it just so you can chat with people when you are not in game? If that is the case... I don't even run my Yahoo messenger 99.9% of the time... why would I want to add yet another chat program to the list of stuff I don't use?

Seriously, I can't see the point of this at all.

That is exactly what i want... I want to be able to chat with my friends and fleet members when i can't be in game.

I'm not saying it's better... Cryptic provides access so i'm trying to get it to work!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Question: Is there a means of reporting someone while on XMPP? trolls flamers etc. Or do I have to be logged in game. It's a bit frustrating when people come on and start throwing poorly spelled insults at people for no real reason and your unable to do anything but hit the ignore button. That still doesn't "clean up the mess" as it were.

~D
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Has anyone been able to find an xmpp client for android that works with MUC (multi user chat) so the channels will work?

I've came closet with Jabbroid in the fact that i can actually connect to crypticspace with my user account but the MUC channels error out saying "feature not implemented".

I've tried Jabiru and IMov (both support MUC) but i can't connect to my crypticspace user account at all to even get to the MUC part.

Other clients i see in the market do not mention MUC support.

Any ideas?

With IMOV, I have FULL MUC support. (A little buggy...but) I can see our private "Fleet" channel, and chat, just like in game. (not the game made fleet channel, but a user made channel...)

However, Do not use the little "wizard" it supplies to add your account info. Cancel out of that, then get into settings and add your info from there.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Neilston wrote:
    With IMOV, I have FULL MUC support. (A little buggy...but) I can see our private "Fleet" channel, and chat, just like in game. (not the game made fleet channel, but a user made channel...)

However, Do not use the little "wizard" it supplies to add your account info. Cancel out of that, then get into settings and add your info from there.

I cannot get it to join chat channels using @channels.crypticspace.com this is the correct one right?
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Neilston wrote:

can you provide exact steps?
    I've tried with both version of IMov (corporate, beta) which are you using?

Here is what I've done:
    I am unable to cancel out of the wizard.
    I input dummy info in the wizard then went to settings and typed everything in. but the logon looks like it's trying to use the dummy info from the wizard?
    i tried again from the setup wizard and also settings but it never keeps the server name i type in the wizard i guess because it never connects?
    i cannot logon with imov to my crypticspace account to even attempt the channels?

any ideas?
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    using beta I put in the real info to the wizard, then went in and changed them
    Jabber/XMPP ID: loginname@crypticspace.com
    Jabber/XMPP Password: self explanatory
    Resource Name: display name
    Jabber/XMPP server name: crypticspace.com
    Use SASL: ON
    Use TLS: ON
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    using beta I put in the real info to the wizard, then went in and changed them
    Jabber/XMPP ID: loginname@crypticspace.com
    Jabber/XMPP Password: self explanatory
    Resource Name: display name
    Jabber/XMPP server name: crypticspace.com
    Use SASL: ON
    Use TLS: ON

that worked perfectly, i think i was missing setting TLS ON!

the group chat appears to be working properly too, hit Menu>More>Conference and added:
    <userroom>@channels.crypticspace.com
    entered my @name in the handle
    left password blank.

successfully chatted with my fleet!

thanks everyone i appreciate the help! Imov for Android (beta) appears to be the winner!
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    entered my @name in the handle

Okay, got in now using @name instead of "resource name" and can type, can't see what others type though.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    StormShade wrote:
    As part of our ongoing testing of our new XMPP feature, we are now enabling Star Trek Online's Tribble users to make use of the feature!

Is this feature available to 'Holodeck' users yet?

I keep getting an "Invalid XMPP ID" notification when using Pidgin, but I got it to work using the same client right after this feature was first announced, so I'm trying to figure out what I am doing wrong.

Does the 'Resource' name need to be the name of one of my characters on Tribble for this to work?
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Okay, got in now using @name instead of "resource name" and can type, can't see what others type though.

the behavior is strange, when i join the chat it shows in my chat list. however if i post or someone else post i get another window in my notifications that is separate from the one i added however it appears to be a two way communication.

P.S. i used my @ handle in both the resource (account level) and as the chat handle (MUC or group chat/channel level).

Any thoughts on the "Keep device awake" setting? think if i turn that off notifications still work? getting a battery hit with that on. not that big a deal to me because if i run IMov it will probably be when i'm plugged in.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Alecto wrote: »
    Is this feature available to 'Holodeck' users yet?
    Yes, as long as your account is set to be able to access tribble is all that matters, friends and channels work across the 2 shards.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yes, as long as your account is set to be able to access tribble is all that matters, friends and channels work across the 2 shards.

Thanks, but I believe you mean the answer is no, this feature is not available to 'Holodeck' users only, just for those who are using both 'Holodeck' and 'Tribble'.

Anyway, you can see posts from me, since way back on page #1 in this thread, and notably on page #14 where I asked StormShade for help, describing my issue, which is the issue I still have.

This feature worked for me, right at the beginning when it was first announced, I used Pidgin.

I've changed the 'Resource' name from my 'Holodeck' characters name to my 'Tribble' characters name, but it doesn't make any difference, I still get the message; "Invalid XMPP ID".

Does anyone know what this means or how I can resolve this issue?

I am doing everything correctly, as stated by StormShade in the 1st post, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
  • Options
    edited November 2010

I've changed the 'Resource' name from my 'Holodeck' characters name to my 'Tribble' characters name, but it doesn't make any difference, I still get the message; "Invalid XMPP ID".

ok the issue you are having is at the account level, whatever ID you type into the game client (before you pick a shard) is what your account id is and associated password. (probably whatever is behind the @ sign in your character profile).

The resource at the account level is probably not relevant, but from what i read may be required at the MUC level.

I hope that helps.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I am doing exactly that, using the exact account ID I use to log in, and the crazy thing is that this exact config worked when it was announced and released, but since the feature went down months ago, then back up, it has not worked.

Client: Pidgin

Protocol: XMPP

Username: Alecto

Domain: CrypticSpace.com

Resource: Alecto

Password: Is my password, which would be illogical to share. LoL
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I am doing exactly that, using the exact account ID I use to log in, and the crazy thing is that this exact config worked when it was announced and released, but since the feature went down months ago, then back up, it has not worked.

Client: Pidgin

Protocol: XMPP

Username: Alecto

Domain: CrypticSpace.com

Resource: Alecto

Password: Is my password, which would be illogical to share. LoL

man i don't know, sounds like you did everything correct.... try something crazy, go install the latest pidgin version and see if that helps? (grasping at straws)
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Cheers, I've already uninstalled / reinstalled a bunch of times, downloaded the latest version as well, makes no difference.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Invalid XMPP ID

That's the error I get in pidgin when global is down. Maybe go back to the first post and re-sign up for tribble?
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I don't think I can "re-sign" up for 'Tribble', I already have access to 'Tribble' and the only option I have on the site, is the option to copy a character from 'Holodeck' to 'Tribble'.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Alright, didn't know if they cancelled your tribble account due to inactivity or anything. Your settings in pidgin are the same as mine. On the second page of account options all I have checked is "custom smilies" which should be all default settings.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Cheers, I've already uninstalled / reinstalled a bunch of times, downloaded the latest version as well, makes no difference.

have you tried a support ticket? sounds like an account issue if it's not the xmpp client?
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    have you tried a support ticket?

No, but I am now. :)

Wonder how long the response will take.

The reason I haven't done so previously is because I thought that the issue was on their end, I thought it would be resolved on it's own, but others are able to use this feature and I am not, so I must be having my own issue.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    So I waited until my fleet's personal chatroom got busy, logged out of pidgin and logged into IMOV. It all works now, so apparently you can't be connected to both if you want to see what is being said.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I don't use pidgin or any of the other XMPP enabled chat clients, I use the ingame chat client on the TTS channel, and I miss the vast majority of posted chats. They simply DO NOT SHOW UP in my ingame chat tab I have set to receive TTS chat.

I usually see one or two people, responding to four or five others (at minimum) who's chat text I never see at all. Did a client force verify. Nothing wrong there. But the in game chat channel for TTS simply does not broadcast to me, the majority of conversations on the channel.

Tells me something is broken. And not on my end.

*edit* and before someone asks, no, I don't have anybody on my Ignore list.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    If anyone uses a Mac and wants to know how to get this to work on iChat here you go...

iChat -- Preferences -- + (add account)

Account Type: Jabber
    Account Name: username@CrypticSpace
    Password: password
    (expand server options)
    Server: CrypticSpace.com
    Port: 5222 (don't tick SSL or Use Kerboros v5 for authentication)

Click Done

Highlight the account in your account list and fill in these fields as well...

Account tab
    Descripton: Cryptic (or STO for example)

Server Settings tab
    Location: character name (the name of the character you are using)

Works for me ;)

James.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I'm looking for some way to get this working on an iPhone.

With Trillian I can't seem to be able to join any channels, only send tells to another user. Is there A way to join channels on the Trillian iPhone client?

Are there other IM clients for the iPhone that work? If so, how do I set them up? Tried QIP and Monal, couldn't even get them to log in.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Nevermind... it finally started working.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Nevermind... it finally started working.

hey, does Trillian for Android support the group chat feature? (MUC rooms)
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    hey, does Trillian support the group chat feature? (MUC rooms)

If (translated to the Cryptic chat system) you mean the ability to join Channels, then yes. Not Fleet channels though as permissions for those are character-linked. But any Global channels your @name has permissions for.
This discussion has been closed.