test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New Feature Enabled for Gold Members! (Out-of-Game Chat via XMPP)

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Losing this feature gives me a sad-on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Losing this feature gives me a sad-on

+1

It's come to be a vital part of our community and it's the greatest thing I ever saw in an MMO.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    dw guys it should be fixed and better after the maintenance comin up tonight on all the services here, ye it is a great feature, would like more mmos to use it since its nice gettin pm's when not ingame incase im needed :)
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    XMPP is back online,
    i checked this morning looks like it's back after the maintenance!
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Dear Readers,

I am very new to the pidgin/jabber chat; I installed it & began running it last night. I think it is a nice tool.

Enjoying learning about it.

Post edited as I learned more about the program :>
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Methos5k wrote:
    2. ability to initiate private chats (fails for me, but I can respond perfectly okay)
    3. ability to change my handle prefix ( for operators/admins - perhaps settable somewhere somehow by the owner, for ranks?)

2: You must doubleclick on the person in your buddylist, not the channel list.

3: It's called "Resource" in the account properties.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yes, thank-you. I modified my post, but appreciate your assistance with that.
    I also found that I could manually enter a pm to a player not on my buddy list, however found no means of setting '@crypticspace.com' as the default for all pms. it's still awesome, & thanks again to those that helped/previous poster.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    So the newest imov not only won't connect but hosed my xmpp connection to tribble or something. Now pidgin won't even display people's /tell's to me. I still get them in game but not pidgin.

Don't suppose anyone has ran into this and knows how to fix it do they? It would be nice if a dev could look at my account, but I'm not counting on them looking into this problem.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I periodically have that problem. Usually logging out and logging back in helps. I also periodically have trouble connecting. It seems to be random and I assume it's on Cryptic's end.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Unfortunately I've done that, along with re-installing the software, changing computers, staying logged out for hours, and using the phone, no external client works only for receiving tells (but everyone else is fine) so it sounds like an issue with my account. I've asked them to just wipe the test account if they need to. Will see what happens.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Alright, If anyone else runs into this in the future (don't use imov it is broken)

I fixed it by changing my status via pidgin to "invisible" and then "offline" then "online" and it worked, so whatever imov did it borked my status. I got the idea because a fleetmate who also uses pidgin said that even though he saw me typing in our channel that according to him I wasn't online. Logging on and off didn't fix it but using the client to change status did.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Hi all,

My fleetmate Crimsonspot helped me get an account set up for crypticspace.com on the Monal iPhone app, and, while my online friends list populates my Monal "buddy list", I can't seem to figure out how to get Monal to display the ongoing chat going on in a particular chat channel my fleet uses in STO.

Is there anyone using Monal right now who might have some suggestions on how to monitor a particular chat channel, or, if it's even possible using Monal?
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    sorry @Savesh i don't have an apple device to test monal with.

@CrimsonSpot it's funny i experienced the same problem you did after i tried to help you fix yours the other night.

my channel friends kept telling my my user name was something like IM+94568edfe@Russell-KV4S even though i had Russelll in the Resource of both my Jabiru and Pidgin client. i didn't know what the problem was until someone told me i wasn't responding to their PM's (or Tell's).

I did not have an invisible option on pidgin so i just shuffled statuses from away to busy ect... and went offline and online and pidgin seemed to start working for tells and name. (which i never verified it wasn't working on pidgin) When I logged back onto Jabiru everything was acting normal there too. my prefix was back to what i had in my resource field and i was able to get tells again.

I do not believe IMov caused the problem you described @CrimsonSpot but what i think happened is one of the IM clients didn't close the server session correctly causing it to hang up. Apparently initiating a status change clears it. of coarse that is all speculation.

However, I agree if you are going to use an Android client for STO use Jabiru and not IMov
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I do not believe IMov caused the problem you described @CrimsonSpot but what i think happened is one of the IM clients didn't close the server session correctly causing it to hang up.

That's what imov did. It refused to connect and I even had to "force shutdown" on it after about 5 minutes, but apparently it hung the server session open on me.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Does anyone know how to join a channel with s space in it?
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I've got the answer thanks, its a simple +
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Similar question: how do I join a channel with a backslash (/) or apostrophe (') in it?
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Sigh, no idea what I'm doing wrong on Android. I can't get Jabiru to connect, yet my old old copy of imov messenger corporate (which was the only thing that worked at the time for me) is still the only thing that works for me, everything else says failure to connect.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Tsusai wrote: »
    Sigh, no idea what I'm doing wrong on Android. I can't get Jabiru to connect, yet my old old copy of imov messenger corporate (which was the only thing that worked at the time for me) is still the only thing that works for me, everything else says failure to connect.

Jabiru is still working great for me, did you use this post?
    http://forums.startrekonline.com/showpost.php?p=3266342&postcount=198
    the account is your holodeck logon credentials.
    the channels use your actual @handle in game.

Here are some screen shots if it helps:
    http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff22/KV4S/STO/jabiru1.png
    http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff22/KV4S/STO/jabiru2.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I can throw a wrong password in it and it'll say bad user/pass, but other than that, "Failed to Connect" when I press connect. Also it looks like mine is a different version.

http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/7209/snap20110309112822.png
    http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/5545/snap20110309112828.png
    http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/6504/snap20110309112841.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    well yes and no, my screenshots are from a previous version but i'm running the latest and it looks like mine matches yours. I notice your bars are only 1 and 2 why don't you see if you can try on wi-fi and see if that has any better luck. I will get that message sometimes and the wrong password message if i'm not getting a good connection.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Can anyone please confirm that this service is down right now? I cannot connect, but earlier today I could. I also upgraded to the latest Pidgin today (2.7.11 from 2.7.10). Thanks.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I was kicked off a few hours ago, so yes, it's currently down.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Any word on joining the actual game created fleet/officer chat yet?
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I see the channels are there under guilds.crypticspace.com but it says service unavailable...

BTW I am using Pidgen
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    It's back up now and working fine (Pidgin 2.7.11) here.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I see the channels are there under guilds.crypticspace.com but it says service unavailable...

BTW I am using Pidgen

the user or fleet created channels are not under guilds it's under channels.crypticspace.com
    let is know if that works for you?
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    the user or fleet created channels are not under guilds it's under channels.crypticspace.com
    let is know if that works for you?

Talking about the actual "fleet" channel for each fleet.

I think it doesn't work because fleet membership is character-based rather than account-based.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Talking about the actual "fleet" channel for each fleet.

I think it doesn't work because fleet membership is character-based rather than account-based.

yes, you are correct, i misunderstood that.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I would like to find a good iOS app that works with STO's chat rooms in a similar fashion to Pidgin.
This discussion has been closed.