test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Feature Enabled for Gold Members! (Out-of-Game Chat via XMPP)

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Longasc wrote:
    Any idea how I could use this to read FLEET chat as well?

Guild chat is kind of screwy, but in the channel server you need to put in guilds.crypticspace.com. It doesn't always work, and for some reason it'll show messages multiple times.
    edited August 2010
    Guild chat is kind of screwy, but in the channel server you need to put in guilds.crypticspace.com. It doesn't always work, and for some reason it'll show messages multiple times.

Maybe that's related to having more than one character in the relevant fleet?
    edited August 2010
    hey guys do you need a microphone? I think you do.
    edited August 2010
    So what's up with the XMPP connections into the chat system? It's been working great for me using Pidgin till I rebooted on Friday and now neither my STO nor my Champions account can connect to the system. It tells me both accounts are "disabled" and "Not Authorized". It's like I've been IP banned or something. I can connect and chat in-game just fine however. Was a really awesome feature, hope it comes back online soon or my account gets unblocked. (and no I did nothing to get myself blocked/banned)

Anybody else having this issue? Was it just because it was Friday the 13th and happened on a weekend? What's up with this StormShade? :-)
    edited August 2010
    So what's up with the XMPP connections into the chat system? It's been working great for me using Pidgin till I rebooted on Friday and now neither my STO nor my Champions account can connect to the system. It tells me both accounts are "disabled" and "Not Authorized". It's like I've been IP banned or something. I can connect and chat in-game just fine however. Was a really awesome feature, hope it comes back online soon or my account gets unblocked. (and no I did nothing to get myself blocked/banned)

Anybody else having this issue? Was it just because it was Friday the 13th and happened on a weekend? What's up with this StormShade? :-)

I just checked with the engineer in charge of this and he says everything is working right now, and I'm also logged in ok. Are you still having problems?

Thanks,

Stormshade
    edited August 2010
    I got this to work the first time I tried back when you first posted this thread, and I used Pidgin but now when I try to login I just get a msg that tells me I have an "Invalid XMPP ID".

I've done everything the same as I did when you first posted how to get set up in this thread so I really don't understand what I'm doing wrong.
    edited August 2010
    set it up today and works fine for me 2
    edited August 2010
    StormShade wrote:
    I just checked with the engineer in charge of this and he says everything is working right now, and I'm also logged in ok. Are you still having problems?

Thanks,

Stormshade

Yes I'm still having issues with it. I deleted all account info and started from scratch following the original post's instructions exactly. Every time I try to connect it tells me that...

<my account>@CrypticSpace.com/<Resource - Character Name> disabled
    Not Authorized

Every time I try to Re-enable the account through Pidgin it tells me the exact same message.

Since I have an STO account and a Champions Online account and both of these get the exact same message as above, I would suspect that I am being blocked for some reason. Nothing else has changed on my end other than I can no longer connect after my system restart on Friday. Could someone check to see if this is the case? I'll reinstall Pidgin on my end and see if for some strange reason that's the problem. Thanks!
    edited August 2010
    Well TRIBBLE... Apparently my account had been compromised or my password had been corrupted on your end. My password had been changed and that's what was locking me out. I'd been playing CO for a few days and hadn't logged in to STO. When I tried to login to STO it told me invalid password. LUCKILY I had a webpage login open in my browser where I was still logged in and didn't have to authenticate again so I was able to reset my password. No clue how in the hell it happened if my password was compromised, but I have changed it.

Not sure what else to do about this... I can get back in now at least.
    edited August 2010
    Well TRIBBLE... Apparently my account had been compromised or my password had been corrupted on your end.

The perfect opportunity to suggest a feature-request about that: an option to set a different password for instant messaging!

Instant messengers often store passwords and they are also connected to the outside and may have security flaws, also people may like to run their instant messanger on other places like work where other people may easier get access to the box and thus may be able to extract the password.
    edited August 2010
    Well I got connected with Beem on my Android 1.5 device. It's the middle of the day, so no one I know is on to chat with. I can not seem to find a way to join the chat channel that we use. It's nice that it works, but without a strong XMPP client for Android, I don't anticipate using the feature much.
    edited August 2010
    StormShade, anychance I could get some help getting logged back in with Pidgin at some point when you have time?

As I said before, I could log in after I did what you said in your original post when you first posted, but it no longer works, all the client tells me is "Invalid XMPP ID" and that doesn't make sence to me.
    edited August 2010
    They just need to invest in a team "speak" channel
    edited September 2010
    AH HA!

IMOV Messenger on the Android platform supports MUC. Multiple User Channels.

So you can see custom channels on your Andriod phone
    edited September 2010
    I've been able to get this to work in Jabbroid on my Android phone and on Trillian on my desktop.

HOWEVER

In both instances, I am only able to speak on a 1-1 basis via /tells, like an Instant Message chat instead of a talking in a channel of people.

The friends list automatically sorts people based on fleet/guild and server/shard, and it added all my friendslist and fleetmates into the right groups automatically.

Trillian seems to be using my computer name as my in-game name, which I am not liking and need to figure out a way to change it.

also, I can't get a connection when using @guilds.crypticspace.com when attempting to join a channel instead of IM-style chat from either app

EDIT: Also, IMOV doesn't seem to be connecting to CrypticSpace.com at all for me
    edited September 2010
    any update on when we can access fleet channels?

with pdigin

using guilds.crypticspace.com to list channels available it shows the fleet channel but when trying to join it says - service unavailable
    edited September 2010
    Yes i would love to beable to have my fleet channel avaliable through pidginIM but as of right now i have a multifaction channel i setup for my fleet to use for ingame and out of game chat when needed.
    edited September 2010
    can i use this to monitor the in game chat tabs or is this just an IM thing?
    edited September 2010
    You can monitor chat tabs, but not things like Fleet, Officer, Local, Zone.

If any devs are watching, I like the update yesterday that make the chat room online/offline and member list actually real time now, that was a welcome change yesterday. :)
    edited September 2010
    Speaking of "new features" since the chat system maintenance. Everyone in my fleet that is using IM is getting freezing of chat for up to 20 minutes at a time. People in the game can see what we write but we just have to wait until it decides to suddenly scroll us with all we've missed.
    edited September 2010
    As of right now I'm up to an hour and a half lag via XMPP, no idea when I'm going to see the line I typed that long ago... Please at least let us know you know about this Devs!
    edited September 2010
    well right now Pdigin can not connect.

could be something to do with mainatence or something else
    edited September 2010
    D.Blackman wrote:
    well right now Pdigin can not connect.

could be something to do with mainatence or something else

likewise on trillian, just says invalid username. maybe they have taken this offline to troubleshoot the lag?

idk.
    edited September 2010
    I hope they are fixing it, that would be awesome. :D
    edited September 2010
    For the past few days now I have been completely unable to connect using Pidgin on Windows. my Linux version works just fine however. I verified with a friend that his Linux pidgin works alright but his windows box also won't connect.

~D
    edited September 2010
    Interesting. I've been able to connect but in the afternoon it becomes pretty useless as it starts to lag worse and worse and lately I haven't been seeing what I have typed come up at all.
    edited September 2010
    I have not been able to get on it for the last few days.
    edited October 2010
    Has anyone been able to find an xmpp client for android that works with MUC (multi user chat) so the channels will work?

I've came closet with Jabbroid in the fact that i can actually connect to crypticspace with my user account but the MUC channels error out saying "feature not implemented".

I've tried Jabiru and IMov (both support MUC) but i can't connect to my crypticspace user account at all to even get to the MUC part.

Other clients i see in the market do not mention MUC support.

Any ideas?
    edited October 2010
    Has anyone been able to find an xmpp client for android that works with MUC (multi user chat) so the channels will work?

I've came closet with Jabbroid in the fact that i can actually connect to crypticspace with my user account but the MUC channels error out saying "feature not implemented".

I've tried Jabiru and IMov (both support MUC) but i can't connect to my crypticspace user account at all to even get to the MUC part.

Other clients i see in the market do not mention MUC support.

Any ideas?

I'm sorry Russel, I just seen your message and replied.
    AFAIR Jabbroid is one of the few Android clients to support MUC, as I replied to your mail. I did a small research on Android clients because I had planned to get an Android Phone but in the end for the actual lack of proper muc capable clients dropped the idea.

If you feel brave there's Beem, which has an experimental MUC patch available.
    But I didn't really test neither. As I don't posses an android device.

You could try a web client (BOSH) like Jappix, which I'm helping develope, the mobile version should work decently with WebKit mobile browsers and maybe the desktop version too (depends on the specs of your device) although that means no proper background task... so kind of battery consuming.

Perhaps only thing I can really direct you to is Jabbroid or patched Beem. But well it seems Android is a bit meh on XMPP clients as I already said and also the cryptic xmpp "interfacing" service is very glitchy which won't help as well.
    edited October 2010
    T.Diamonds wrote:
    I'm sorry Russel, I just seen your message and replied.
    AFAIR Jabbroid is one of the few Android clients to support MUC, as I replied to your mail. I did a small research on Android clients because I had planned to get an Android Phone but in the end for the actual lack of proper muc capable clients dropped the idea.

If you feel brave there's Beem, which has an experimental MUC patch available.
    But I didn't really test neither. As I don't posses an android device.

You could try a web client (BOSH) like Jappix, which I'm helping develope, the mobile version should work decently with WebKit mobile browsers and maybe the desktop version too (depends on the specs of your device) although that means no proper background task... so kind of battery consuming.

Perhaps only thing I can really direct you to is Jabbroid or patched Beem. But well it seems Android is a bit meh on XMPP clients as I already said and also the cryptic xmpp "interfacing" service is very glitchy which won't help as well.

Thanks for your reply!
    Jabbroid just doesn't seem to work with this MUC it does work with another chat system i use just not crypticspace.com.
    I tried Beem but it did not have MUC at all, however i have not investigated the MUC patch you mentioned, so that is something I'm going to look into.

Now,
    I'm trying a trial version of BeeJiveIM for 30 days. it seems to connect without error to MUC but I have not had a successful test (i think due to my channel not having activity at the times i'm trying). I'll report back when i know for sure. it does seem to disconnect me often but i'm not sure if it's the server, program, data provider, ect.. If it actually works i'll gladly pay the $10 for the full version!
This discussion has been closed.