test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Feature Enabled for Gold Members! (Out-of-Game Chat via XMPP)

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    has this been moved to the live servers yet or still only on tribble?
    edited June 2010
    Its on Holodeck now and i like it.
    edited June 2010
    I'm trying to connect w/ Pidgin and keep getting the message
    Unable to find alternative XMPP connection methods after failing to connect directly.
    The settings I put into Pidgin are taken directly from the original post.
    Any suggestion on how I can fix this?
    edited June 2010
    jennjahn wrote: »
    I'm trying to connect w/ Pidgin and keep getting the message

The settings I put into Pidgin are taken directly from the original post.
    Any suggestion on how I can fix this?

"good" news, after updating, I managed it to get it to stop giving that previously mentioned error, downside

now Iit reads
    Unable to connect

Is the server down, or is there something else I need to to do?
    edited June 2010
    Is the server down

Yes.

10char
    edited June 2010
    "good" news, after updating, I managed it to get it to stop giving that previously mentioned error, downside

now Iit reads

Is the server down, or is there something else I need to to do?

<[AOH]Prynce> quick question xmpp coming up anytime soon?

<Cryptic_DScotty> Our infrastructure QA guys are doing more thorough passes on it, no ETA on when it will be back
    edited June 2010
    Is it still Down?
    edited June 2010
    jaxom101 wrote: »
    Is it still Down?

Yes, it is still down.
    edited June 2010
    Using the Meebo client on my Android Phone, it automatically added and grouped fleetmates from my Tribble fleet and Holodeck fleets to my contacts list (grouped by fleets).

I'm able to send whispers to my fleetmates individually, but I don't seem to be able to join the actual channel. However, I believe that this is the limitation of the client itself. My IRC app doesn't seem to support XMPP (anyone know of one that does for Android?).

How did you get it to work on Meebo? did you use the jabber service? or what?
    edited June 2010
    Falconius wrote: »
    How did you get it to work on Meebo? did you use the jabber service? or what?

They took the service down due to the chat server's tantrum last week. No ETA on when or if it'll be restored yet.
    edited June 2010
    yea saw that, was just wondering, so i could set it up when the server comes back on.
    edited June 2010
    yea saw that, was just wondering, so i could set it up when the server comes back on.

Yep, Jabber service. I think there are specific instructions for Meebo buried up farther in the thread.
    edited June 2010
    Any news about joining Fleet channels ?
    edited June 2010
    Yep, Jabber service. I think there are specific instructions for Meebo buried up farther in the thread.

I did a search and looked manually all i got was someone saying their phone meebo client automatically added it...

no instructions.

for meebo you dont have a server option when you add the service. so im assuming you do something like:

username@CrypticSpace.com but im not sure
    or
    username\CrypticSpace.com
    edited June 2010
    it is

username@CrypticSpace.com

and it looks like the service is running
    edited June 2010
    Talgeeze wrote:
    Any news about joining Fleet channels ?

I do hope they manage that, perhaps if we use the same handle as the fleet-member character.

Once they re-enable it, of course.
    it is

username@CrypticSpace.com

and it looks like the service is running

Really? Well my fleetmates will be happy. :)
    edited June 2010
    my next quandrie, is how to join the global chat or some normal chat channel from meebo... as Meebo doesnt list the channels.

or do we have a list of chat channels? i dont mind connecting to them manually.
    edited June 2010
    my next quandrie, is how to join the global chat or some normal chat channel from meebo... as Meebo doesnt list the channels.

or do we have a list of chat channels? i dont mind connecting to them manually.

Limited to custom chat channels as far as I can tell, which have the exact name they do in-game.
    edited June 2010
    I've noticed that any of my friends that have a space in their username won't show up on my friends list in the external client and, therefore, I cannot talk to them.
    edited June 2010
    Yeaaaa finally got mine working.

Some side notes for channel listing.. by default seems CrypticSpace room list has servers set as "guilds.crypticspace.com" when its supposed to be "channels.crypticspace.com"

Also having issues logging in with my HTC HD2 using pidgen and G1 doesnt login either.. iphone has issues too.

Im glad it shows me as channel leader. Heh.
    edited June 2010
    Got this working using Pidgin on Windows, can't wait for Fleet and Officer chat, I'm guessing they have to implement a non-password security option for these rooms before they're secure enough to use.

However having trouble on my iPhone which is where I would really like it, might get an HTC Desire Android phone soon as well (if upgrade price is reasonably), so far IM+ for iPhone connects and lists friends and fleet members but as soon as I message someone it disconnects, I've logged a ticket with ShapeServices, but Ive tried 3 other free clients and they won't even connect. Have also asked shape to add group chat support.

Don't want to spend on other apps unless I know one works.

I expect these will become common:
    AYIG = "Are you in-game?"
    INIG = "I'm not in-game"
    edited June 2010
    INIG = "I'm not in-game"

Don't abbreviate "no" to something more than two letters long, thanks.
    edited June 2010
    Miiru wrote:
    Don't abbreviate "no" to something more than two letters long, thanks.

Don't be stupid, they're not to be used together, they're for seperate contexts.

"Hey, we need help here!"
    "Sorry, INIG."

"Hi NickB"
    "Hi NickA, AYIG? We're gonna do CE."
    "Nope"
    edited June 2010
    so is this still turned off is there any update to when it will be back on

at the moment im trying to use Trillian it connections and then disconnects shortly after and while it is connected i try to view a list of conversation rooms and nothing is in there.
    edited June 2010
    Its been back online for a week already!!!!
    edited June 2010
    Shurikenv wrote: »
    so is this still turned off is there any update to when it will be back on

at the moment I'm trying to use Trillian it connections and then disconnects shortly after and while it is connected i try to view a list of conversation rooms and nothing is in there.

Use Pidgin it works great, however I did get Trillian working for me.....,the only disadvantage with Trillian I see is it DOES NOT support auto joining conferences or bookmarking of conferences. ie sto, tts channels. I also tried to be REAL Geeky and find a LCARS terminal for Trillian. :P
    edited June 2010
    well ok then ...looks like i just need to figure out why its not keeping me connected them

Edit: are you able to log into trillian ? and stay in
    what are the settings for it anything special you know of?

well just tried setting up pigen and it does not even want to work for me just d/c right away.
    edited June 2010
    Shurikenv wrote: »
    well ok then ...looks like i just need to figure out why its not keeping me connected them

Edit: are you able to log into trillian ? and stay in
    what are the settings for it anything special you know of?

well just tried setting up pigen and it does not even want to work for me just d/c right away.

Are you signed up on the Test Shard Server (Tribble)? Only accounts enable for that can login currently, as it's still in "beta".

Pidgin works for me, but IM+ disconnects when I try to send a message to someone, so quite possibly as the Devs use Pidgin they've coded it with that client in mind and others might behaive strangely.

Otherwise, directions on the first post should get you connected.

Note, that Fleet (Guild) Chats and Officer (Officer) Chats don't yet work, only custom (IE not Local, Global etc.) channels (Channels), so to join a room, Pidgin defaults to guilds.crypticspace.com change this to channels.crypticspace.com
    edited June 2010
    I did a silly thing, I accidently added myself to my Friends List in Pidgin (an errant copy and paste and too late realised what I did), which I now cannot remove.

I don't show up under friends, but instead the Fleet groups I'm in, and I can only delete one at a time, when I do it comes back.

I've deleted the Pidgin settings and tried afresh, it's still there. Tried on another PC, still there, so this is effective on the server end now it seems :/

StormShade, can someone take a look and see if they can fix it for me?

Also, is there a "test login" I can give to a company that make an XMPP client for the iPhone, as it errors when actually trying to send a message (logs on and lists friends though)?

Thanks
    edited June 2010
    Can someone give me and example on how to get this working in Trillian?
    for username i have
    username@crypticspace.com
    password my
    gamepass

hostname crypticspace.com port 5222
    override default name with

bombergirl@Zorena
This discussion has been closed.