What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

POLL: Death Penalty

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Yes, with an IF...... If the Dp uses a debt system similar to CoH, CoV, where debt is accrued and is capped at a maximum of 3 deaths worth. As points gained would go half to paying off debt the other half towards progression. However this would mean they would have to remove the cap on being able to earn XP.

If it were a debt system, then Yes!

However anything else, my vote would be NO!

-
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    slarus wrote: »
    And in City of heroes when you hit level 50 the DP is meaningless so the few people at the top see no issue while everyone else has to deal with a huge time sink, CoH's system is archaic and highly flawed. If you have a DP it needs to affect ANYONE who dies, so money and debt systems are out, it needs to address the idioctic pointless attempt to stop zerging or at least reduce it and it needs to be something that is not a huge impact on casual gamers time wise.

Just reset the encounter you died, wait 15 seconds respawn. Every ship or ground combantant resets to full in the encounter and so do you. this affects everyone who dies, zergers have to get lucky and defeat all enemies or they have to try again and most encounters last less then 3 mins so the time impact is minimal. There is almost no downside, aside from being a general time sink but the effect is tolerable by many I think and affects level 1 to 45 equally.

/\ I have already stated my preference for such a system many times, but am now again.

To work fully, this would necessitate adding a 'rez' mechanic to space and suppressing group respawn until the whole group wipes - which I think is a good idea.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    After running through Infested I cant see how a death penelty will work unless its like a rez sickness. We all died so many times it wasnt funny.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Alecto wrote: »
    Hey Goodwind, how you doing man? Keeping everyone on their toes I see. :p

Yeah I would be happy if the game was that realistic, if it was we would have all of the options open to us that the people in Star Trek have open to them, so we would find many ways to avoid death, but then yeah we might just die for like ever, but then STO is only a game.

Anyway peace, my girl friend is getting angry cause I'm on the PC at half 3 in the morning and she thinks I should be in bed. :rolleyes:[/COLOR]

The characters had plot protection something we can only dream of.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    fine port tax or crafting improvements, I don't need either I spend at least 60% of my cash every ten levels for equipment upgrades but it needs to be something EVERYONE has to do, or that EVERYONE needs, I am tired of poor taxes, monetary DPs only affect people who do not grind for money, and usually thats casual players.

Indeed. I don't think it needs to be compulsory, it there just needs to be something that people can sink money into. This is a casual game, and certainly not like eve.

Guild Wars (Oh how I love that game ;) ) has special armour skins that cost a lot to get. They don't offer better stats, just a different skin.
    Of course money sink is just halarious cause once again the people who complain we need one are people who grind so much money, play so long thats almost no money sink will matter.

lt cmd 6, (I'm really not playing much) over 100k credits without farming. I think we need some money sinks to keep inflation down.
    I advocate docking fees along with serious redesign of crafting.

10% Admiral
    6% Captain
    4% Commander
    0% LT nd LT Commander

Everytime you dock.

Interesting. But again, compulsory money sinks is not what I meant.
    And how about charging for more bank space thats a great way to spend money?

That works too, not that I use the bank.
    The money sink thoeroy is a poor excuse for a DP

Agreed.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    yes............
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    sibbwolf wrote:
    Indeed. I don't think it needs to be compulsory, it there just needs to be something that people can sink money into. This is a casual game, and certainly not like eve.

Guild Wars (Oh how I love that game ;) ) has special armour skins that cost a lot to get. They don't offer better stats, just a different skin.

lt cmd 6, (I'm really not playing much) over 100k credits without farming. I think we need some money sinks to keep inflation down.

Interesting. But again, compulsory money sinks is not what I meant.

That works too, not that I use the bank.

Agreed.

Captain 4 here, spend about 500k on upgrades at Captain 1, not to mention the merits and exploration badges I have about 200k right now...people are spending the money, no one seems to address this, I mean I don't actually need to spend money on anything else, if there was a good player crafted item I'd buy that too. What some people do is only use the reward and loot items for their ship, which works fine if you don't care about a consistant theme to your ship, but I just wonder why those of us who do take the game seriously, buy phasers or Tacyon weapons and try and get consoles to enhance the theme we have need to be forced to pay more? I am doing my part, clearly doing more then my share. I am fed up with the assumptions.

Just buy stuff, if people buy stuff it will work.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    /\ I have already stated my preference for such a system many times, but am now again.

To work fully, this would necessitate adding a 'rez' mechanic to space and suppressing group respawn until the whole group wipes - which I think is a good idea.

That is reasonable enough yes, I thought the same, my apologies I did not mention it specifically.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    No merit for this poll as it is just PLAIN STUPID

WE DO NOT WANT ANY MODIFICATION OF THIS GREAT GAME.

Thank you not posting such things again, or /ignore

To the pleasure not reading you again.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Captain 4 here, spend about 500k on upgrades at Captain 1, not to mention the merits and exploration badges I have about 200k right now...people are spending the money, no one seems to address this,

It was brought up in another thread, but we can talk about it here I guess.
    I mean I don't actually need to spend money on anything else

So you agree it doesn't need to be a compulsory sink?
    ... but I just wonder why those of us who do take the game seriously, buy phasers or Tacyon weapons and try and get consoles to enhance the theme we have need to be forced to pay more? I am doing my part, clearly doing more then my share. I am fed up with the assumptions.

I too spend money to get a 'theme' for my ship. But I do tend to scroll through the poorly done exchange to find the rare dirt cheap weapons ;). I understand people are willing to actually spend their credits on the exchange, but my point about a money sink is not to keep credits moving between players, but to offer a system where players can spend their excessive amount of credits on an entirely optional - and hopefully purely cosmetic - 'object' to remove credits from the system.

Of course, a crafting system could provide a small way to remove credits from the system should that be implemented.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Vote NO for Death Penalty.

I still wake up screaming in the night from Everquest flashbacks -- die early after leveling, lose your level and spells and skills, and extend the horrible grind, grind, grind. No thanks.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    A thousand times no.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    A thousand and one times, yes for death penalty. The fail need to die.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yondame26 wrote: »

So IS THE GAME HARD ENOUGH that people actually die? Does anyone actually ever die? Is this even a problem? Or is this a PvP question?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    no way, soloing some stuff will become a lot harder
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    BoydofZINJ wrote: »
    So IS THE GAME HARD ENOUGH that people actually die? Does anyone actually ever die? Is this even a problem?

Crystal entity + mine spammers.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    how many times are you going to vote in this thread? if you have anything more to add to the discussion feel free, but please don't vote multiple times.
    sibbwolf wrote:

welcome to six weeks ago?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    sibbwolf wrote:

I too spend money to get a 'theme' for my ship. But I do tend to scroll through the poorly done exchange to find the rare dirt cheap weapons ;). I understand people are willing to actually spend their credits on the exchange, but my point about a money sink is not to keep credits moving between players, but to offer a system where players can spend their excessive amount of credits on an entirely optional - and hopefully purely cosmetic - 'object' to remove credits from the system.

Of course, a crafting system could provide a small way to remove credits from the system should that be implemented.

ummmm... there are a few people that want compulsory money sinks of some sort to "stop inflation".

there are already a few money sinks in game, such as fleet bank tabs (1.4m EC?) and runabouts(2.3k ec?) there could be more.

i too spend most of my funds each tier on upgrades to gear my ship up not so much in a "theme" but for what i've specced into. none of which are ever mission rewards for some reason(seems starfleet hands out everything but phasers). i also pvp grind for gear, as the badge gear is better than the next tier mission rewards.

people say it's easy to earn money in this game, but they're obviously ignoring the high prices on teh exchange. if you don't hunt for the lowest prices, you can easily spend several hundred thousand EC on a single item at lower tiers.

the problem gets worse at tier 5, because there is no vendors for mk ix space gear, and their is no tier 6 ships with mk ix gear as standard free parts to sell for easy profit on the exchange.

i'm all for totally optional cosmetic and functional but not combat related money sinks though. just don't tie it to a DP.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    sibbwolf wrote:

On economy issues I prefer to wait about six months before I think we need something done. Adding in cosmetice things, some player crafted some NPC offered is not a bad idea but nothing major for a few months. Improve crafting and see what works.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    sibbwolf wrote:

So you want to put a death penality for 1 single fleet action event?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    On economy issues I prefer to wait about six months before I think we need something done. Adding in cosmetice things, some player crafted some NPC offered is not a bad idea but nothing major for a few months. Improve crafting and see what works.

Fair enough :)
    So you want to put a death penality for 1 single fleet action event?

No, that as me responding to your question.

Any DP would have to apply for all PvE.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    sibbwolf wrote:

No, that as me responding to your question.

Any DP would have to apply for all PvE.

I di dnot mean to imply, it should not apply to all PvE. What I am implying... is a death penality is moot because you dont die, except in a fleet action. Do you normally die in PvE, not doing fleet actions ?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Do you normally die in PvE, not doing fleet actions?

For the sake of your curiosity, no.

But that really is besides the point. My experience is not the same as everyone else's.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    NO to death penalty
    i'm happy with the way things are relating to death penalty. the shame of the failure of death is plenty of penalty by itself.
  • Options
    edited March 2010

You already voted yes on page 116. Please do not vote more than once:
    Gonna go with yes.. because rezzing with full hp and shields after you died 5 secs ago is just epicly TRIBBLE and let's not make this into WoW or some POS.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    YES to a death penalty.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    YES to a death penalty.

You also already voted yes here on page 128:
    Yes

Even if just very minor - I would like SOME kind of penalty.

If not a detah penalty, I would rather my ship warp out rather than "blow up". While I dont die often, it does kind of kill the immersion when you blow up and then respawn 15 seconds later.

Please do not vote twice.

On a side note, you are the 4th person to try to vote twice in this thread (that I have seen).

Coincidentally all 4 of you double voters are all pro-dp. ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    We need a death penalty.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    NO.

Reward staying alive, don't punish dying. This is supposed to be FUN. Don't ruin it and turn it into another elitist and snob-filled game like WoW.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yes!

The game is too easy and there is no tension or risk.
This discussion has been closed.