Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I vote yes.

So thats a Vote "Yes" to no DP right? :P
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Heck No.

But know it will most likely come to pass. I just hope it isn't ridiculous.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The polls Nielsen runs have details and while this poll may be simular in design it is the lack of info that makes it invalid as it preys on others ignorance and fears.

The question may as well be "do you want the game to change in any way" as that is just a vague.

heya Kor, good to see you back :)

i think most people agree that the poll needs to be an official one, with options available for people, and on non trial accounts. because yes, without options its not as accurate.

i voted no, because i dont want a change, but others have voted no or yes because there are no options.

if cryptic could pay some attention to the thread and grasp the idea, a login poll of players would help clear up a lot of the mess i bet, as long as its done right :/
  • Options
    edited March 2010

i think most people agree that the poll needs to be an official one, with options available for people, and on non trial accounts. because yes, without options its not as accurate.

Well in my experiance most ppl do not know what is good for them, they tend towards lazyness and greed if given the option and indulging those unfortunate human traits stunts growth and has other negative effects.

Spare the rod and you spoil the child.

i voted no, because i dont want a change.

I covered that above.

if cryptic could pay some attention to the thread and grasp the idea, a login poll of players would help clear up a lot of the mess i bet, as long as its done right :/.

Theres a reason why most mmos do not poll the entire community on certain changes and i covered it above in point one.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    ....no....
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    why a poll?

i thought they said in a realease thing they will have a death penalty

of course you should have a death penalty

it changes everything if there is something to lose.

you should get demoted, and get a scar, and have a crappy bridgecrew, and be given a lower ship

by the same token, sitting back and doing nothing in pvp or other battles should make you a coward and you have to be a ammo delivery ship or something
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Well in my experiance most ppl do not know what is good for them, they tend towards lazyness and greed if given the option and indulging those unfortunate human traits stunts growth and has other negative effects.

Spare the rod and you spoil the child.

I covered that above.

Theres a reason why most mmos do not poll the entire community on certain changes and i covered it above in point one.

Cryptic is trying a "bold" (lolololol) move by listening to their subscribers.. They wanna know whats up! whats hot! whats cold! As for DP....

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~Dionaea
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yondame26 wrote: »
    Cryptic is trying a "bold" (lolololol) move by listening to their subscribers.. They wanna know whats up! whats hot! whats cold! As for DP....

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~Dionaea.

Well, 'died' is a bit too strong a term for Sisko; it's easy to interpret (and, I believe, the intent in the presentation) that he 'ascended' to be among the Prophets, being part-Prophet himself (was not a fan of that latter bit, by the way; cheapened the whole 'outsider' thing). However, he is undebatably not playing the game, or at least the same game, anymore.

Picard... well, he arguably died at one known point, and Q respawned him - though not without his own hilarious (though only the first time) take on a DP.

When Spock died and was respawned by the Genesis planet there was apparently a debuff that dissipated after visiting a priest for a restore.

And Kirk... well, not canonically, but going by the Shatnerverse books, the guy operates under STO's current system.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Adding a DP to STO will be Cryptics version of the Star Trek NGE mess Sony pulled.

You think things are bad now? Wait until you get a group for the Infected and kids quit after 1 wipe. Get pulled into a DSE and get hammered before you can warp back out to sector, slam them with a DP. Server lag or random D/C? Wham DP make the player pay! New "raid" content rolled out? Hit them with a DP ASAP, got to keep the vocal minority happy, even tho it seems that a lot of the folk asking for this left when the free 30 days were up.

Google Star wars on line NGE and make some popcorn for the read. It was ugly and this will be ugly.

Cryptic, these days for every Pro DP post there is a Anti DP post. This is something that needs looked at a lot close, on both sides of the issue, before adding any game changing content. I would strongly recommend reaching out with a survey at log in to the game to get a feel for what the whole of the community thinks before making any changes.

If the survey results show the majority want and support a DP then by all means add it, the player base has spoken. If the masses do not want this don't add it.

There are a lot of other things that need added first, there should be no rush to include a DP until other issues are met.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    no death penality
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    And Kirk... well, not canonically, but going by the Shatnerverse books, the guy operates under STO's current system.

Thats awesome and made me LoL a lot, thanks for sharing! :D
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Kinda dumb to not have some kind of penalty for the game.
    No excitement or sense of loss without it.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Awww cryptic didn't share my halariousness in what I said /sadface. Someone musta been upset by it.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    yes.
    (10 characters)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    rosleck wrote: »
    Adding a DP to STO will be Cryptics version of the Star Trek NGE mess Sony pulled.

had to lol at that. Its not the end of the world. take a deep breath and relax. SWG died for ALOT diffrent reasons, like..the whole entire game changed over night.
    You think things are bad now? Wait until you get a group for the Infected and kids quit after 1 wipe. Get pulled into a DSE and get hammered before you can warp back out to sector, slam them with a DP. Server lag or random D/C? Wham DP make the player pay! New "raid" content rolled out? Hit them with a DP ASAP, got to keep the vocal minority happy, even tho it seems that a lot of the folk asking for this left when the free 30 days were up.

The 'kids' dont quit after one wipe in any game. never have never will, prehaps your just worried about your own skill level? You seem to quote Infected as the hardest event ever done in an mmo, its not. Not even close. as for DSE that TRIBBLE mechanic needs redone anyway.
    Google Star wars on line NGE and make some popcorn for the read. It was ugly and this will be ugly.

again with the SWG, a DP does not equate even remotely to what happened in SWG. STO was shipped with a DP but it was turned off while they fine tuned the difficulty, since in OB ships were being one shotted it was a good idea, they never ment to do away with it forever.

Cryptic, these days for every Pro DP post there is a Anti DP post. This is something that needs looked at a lot close, on both sides of the issue, before adding any game changing content. I would strongly recommend reaching out with a survey at log in to the game to get a feel for what the whole of the community thinks before making any changes.

If the survey results show the majority want and support a DP then by all means add it, the player base has spoken. If the masses do not want this don't add it..

The problem is even if that were to happen both sides would still shake their fists in anger and threaten to leave, which we know they wont over something so trivial (and it is trivial)
    There are a lot of other things that need added first, there should be no rush to include a DP until other issues are met.

I disagree, it NEEDS looked into before new things are added into the game, that way they can scale it the way it should be vs the new content.

Again I feel i should point out that Cryptic has never had a harsh DP, come to think of it I have played few games that have and that includes World of Noobcraft. The harshest one that comes to mind was EvE, and I dont see anyone asking for that level of DP.

and again, its not going to be the end of the world, and if someone decides they want to quit because of it then they really should be plugging their NES back in to go play a few rounds of Super Mario instead anyway.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    NO !

BUT SURVIVORS BONUS ! (+1% dps / H ?)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    A definite yes for a death penalty :p
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    No, not ever
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Well in my experiance most ppl do not know what is good for them....

Of course, you know what's good for you and what's good for everyone else, right? Why is it that those who don't believe as you do are somehow less intelligent than you?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I made a post about this elsewhere on the forums but technically, since your crew still has to recover after respawn from damage sustained prior to your death, there is currently a "death penalty" in place.

Whether or not this was "working as intended" is up for anyone's guess until a dev says otherwise.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I have just had an evening of why not to have a death penalty. Infected (again) consumed much of my limited free time and can safely say that all the teams I was in were so utterly rubbish that I could not escape death. No amount of healing items or optimal skills/kits could have saved me. I jump well, I take out borg, I do my part in the virus upload....but I do not have the immunity to poor teammates. I have tried I really really have and I get comments like chill out have fun it's only a game but when you've done the same room for a few hours and again each day it somehow loses the fun factor and when newbies still don't listen to you and run around going pew pew but wonder why we're getting no where you just lose the will to try.

So please....no dp...Infected has too many nails in it's coffin already and this really would be the final one for me.

Edit. Also I know there are dp games out there but honestly how many? Out of my large collection of games this is my only potential dp game. If it's temporary I won't mind but if it's permanent......well infected is dead for me. I'd consider avoiding such missions where you need a good team (in essence avoid the MMO part of MMO's). If dp was a result of my gameplay fair enough but I don't see why I should be penalised for having poor teammates.

Sorry for the moan but I've had the classic infected experience since it started and this really would be the final straw. 5 badges of valor....and we don't know how useful they'll even be.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    No death penalty
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    yes death pen
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    yes. make people think about the way going though missions, instead of flying through them.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I want to know what it is im having a opinion on, im sorry if you cannot comprehend that logic.

I think not giving them a chance to improve the game is absurd, if the game is as poor as you say it is because of the "mess cryptic has made so far" then saying NO to them attempting to improve it before you even know what they are gonna do is a act of sheer absurdity.

I'd love to see improvement in the game not wasting time on something 5 posters argue about who made Admiral, would not be affected by most DPs and who do not reflect the community.
    yes. make people think about the way going though missions, instead of flying through them

No they won't there is no proof, and no indication that a DP does this. People who exploit will find the next exploit and people who play seriously will continue to but now be punished for dying. I challenge you to find one death penalty that taught one person anything but frustration.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    No Death Penalty
This discussion has been closed.