test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Bridge of Death: Goonfleet Imprisons 2 GMs!

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Cthulhuite wrote: »
    What is this "EVE" everyone keeps talking about?

EVE Online, an MMO if that was a serious question.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    EVE Online, an MMO if that was a serious question.

Is this game like Star Trek? Tell me more!:cool:
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Datek wrote:
    So, in STO its ok, no- its fun and hilarious to harrass & grief other players by exploiting broken game mechanics like self destruct and bridge invites?

Yes
    Datek wrote:
    You can post an immature video bragging about exploiting and griefing and its cool?

And yes
    Datek wrote:
    Players who accept bridge invites are stupid and its their own fault they got griefed by exploiting obnoxious immature troublemakers?

And yes again
    Datek wrote:
    The GM's say its ok?

Apparently....still yes

I have to say, all the crying and hand-wringing in this thread has given me far MORE entertainment value than I could have hoped for.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    glarrggggg my klingon honor
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Come to my bridge we have cookies and cake and we'll watch waiting to exhale and have pillow fights YAAAY.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    we watch dirty dancing on my bridge

swayze forever
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Vasten wrote: »
    Come to my bridge we have cookies and cake and we'll watch waiting to exhale and have pillow fights YAAAY.

Consider me there!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm on a bridge (I'm on a bridge)
    Everybody look at me cause I'm flyin' on a bridge (flyin' on a bridge)
    I'm on a bridge
    Take a good hard look at the mother****in bridge (bridge, yeah)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I remember when a fed invited me to his bridge before I heard all about this.

I knew better than to subject myself to a trap, so I didn't accept. Must be my UO street smarts.

I say anyone who accepts bridge invites should know they are at risk if they accept. As long as there is a way for them to escape, it's fine.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Absolutely brilliant. Kudos. May I grab a jar so I can drink some of these tears later? They are delicious!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Bah, just get home from hell... err, work, and try to watch the vid... and it doesnt work now...wtf.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    A++ thread, would read again.

PS. There is no situation in-game where you are required to visit another player's bridge in order to progress. In fact, visiting another players bridge is something that takes you out of the way of the rest of the game. These players chose to accept an invite to the bridge of an unknown player of the opposing faction. They "opted-in", so to speak. If they had chosen not to accept the invite, their gameplay would not have been impeded.

What seems to be forgotten (convientently) is that those that did this enticed the klings over with promises of items and money. Yes it is the oldest con in the MMO industry. But it is only done with the full intention to (normally) kill a person. Also this is normally done via some odd exploit that was never intended by the Devs.

In UO before they changed the gate colors it was done by gating someone from Trammel to Felucca..while telling the person that they were going to a house in Trammel.

In WoW it was summoning someone to that one platform in Shattrath where if done right the person summoned would fall to their death.

Here it is referred to as the "Bridge of Death".

No matter how it happens though it is done with the express intention of griefing the person being lied to.

You can pretty up your words all that you want to in order to try to get past the rules. While it might work for awhile it will eventually lead to the persons banning.

I look forward to this day. IMO Liars are just as bad as bank robbers and should never be tolerated in any setting. Just because it is the "interwebz" doesn't mean that common decency should be thrown out the window like yesterdays trash.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Shevara wrote:
    What seems to be forgotten (convientently) is that those that did this enticed the klings over with promises of items and money. Yes it is the oldest con in the MMO industry. But it is only done with the full intention to (normally) kill a person. Also this is normally done via some odd exploit that was never intended by the Devs.

In UO before they changed the gate colors it was done by gating someone from Trammel to Felucca..while telling the person that they were going to a house in Trammel.

In WoW it was summoning someone to that one platform in Shattrath where if done right the person summoned would fall to their death.

No matter how it happens though it is done with the express intention of griefing the person being lied to.

You can pretty up your words all that you want to in order to try to get past the rules. While it might work for awhile it will eventually lead to the persons banning.

I look forward to this day. IMO Liars are just as bad as bank robbers and should never be tolerated in any setting. Just because it is the "interwebz" doesn't mean that common decency should be thrown out the window like yesterdays trash.

Do you have any reason to think things were promised? Do you really think people aren't dumb enough to just mash that big shiny accept button without thinking? Remember, this is the internet we're talking about here.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Shevara wrote:

while i agree with you for the most part, it seems many here are already aware of the "hey i have candy in my van" gag and are even joking about it.

only reason this thread still exists in my opinion is for the lulz/100th post.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Do you have any reason to think things were promised? Do you really think people aren't dumb enough to just mash that big shiny accept button without thinking? Remember, this is the internet we're talking about here.

Buried deep in the thread somewhere, it's stated that the Klingons were tricked into accepting the invites by false promises from other Klingons (who were in on the plan). Otherwise, I'd agree with you as games have trained players to click mindless on prompts.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Rehpic wrote:
    The fix is to make bridges "neutral territory", where neither faction can attack the other. You will still be able to invite cross faction.

Can we have more Neutral Territory? I'd love to be able to interact with Characters of other Factions more. Maybe a neutral space station somewhere... This game needs more social spaces anyways, would be cool to offer a few neutral ones.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    You know, they could fix this problem permanently by requiring players to be 18 years of age or older.

Then, they'd have to go back to EVE, where CCP would welcome them back with open arms, seeing as they encourage griefing. They could kill defenseless miners to their hearts' content, thereby convincing themselves they are the superior combatants, good time had by all, etc.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

What he said....
    Lethargic wrote:
    Buried deep in the thread somewhere, it's stated that the Klingons were tricked into accepting the invites by false promises from other Klingons (who were in on the plan). Otherwise, I'd agree with you as games have trained players to click mindless on prompts.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Lethargic wrote:

Everything stated in this thread is true and should be believed at face value. Nothing stated in this thread is true and should be believed at face value.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    You know, they could fix this problem permanently by requiring players to be 18 years of age or older.

Wow really, do you even know what Goonfleet is?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Rothnang wrote:
    Wow really, do you even know what Goonfleet is?

I'm a former EVE player. I most certainly do.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm a former EVE player. I most certainly do.

Then what makes you think that they are comprised of people who are under 18 years old? SA is like the biggest congregation of manchildren on the internet.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    yamato23 wrote: »
    while i agree with you for the most part, it seems many here are already aware of the "hey i have candy in my van" gag and are even joking about it.

only reason this thread still exists in my opinion is for the lulz/100th post.

Yeah many here are aware of it. But 1: In general it is only the minority that visit the forums and read all about all this. So it doesn't help those that never visit the forums. 2: It also doesn't help those that just start the game without ever having visited the forums. Especially those that just start the game a year from now when this thread will no doubt be buried.

Yes I know that the Devs are going to fix this current "Bridge of Death" problem, but I'm sure you know that these types of people will always find some other way to grief people. Using pretty much the same tactics in a different setting.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Shevara wrote:

you heard it here first folks, lying is equivalent to armed robbery.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Everything stated in this thread is true and should be believed at face value. Nothing stated in this thread is true and should be believed at face value.

Yes, there's no way to verify what really happened without access to the logs. There's also no way to truly verify that what happened wasn't completely staged, or that people who are posting as if they're upset, really are. Everyone could just be trolling each other. This entire thread could be one giant conspiracy to create a topic that will garner more views and replies than the stickies.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Rothnang wrote:
    Then what makes you think that they are comprised of people who are under 18 years old? SA is like the biggest congregation of manchildren on the internet.

If they're actually adults, it really doesn't show...not here, not in EVE. Their behavior is the stuff of middle school.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

What was stated was stated in the very first post of this thread. Via the link to the video. At the 3:16 mark.

Link to original video
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Lethargic wrote:
    Yes, there's no way to verify what really happened without access to the logs. There's also no way to truly verify that what happened wasn't completely staged, or that people who are posting as if they're upset, really are. Everyone could just be trolling each other. This entire thread could be one giant conspiracy to create a topic that will garner more views and replies than the stickies.

wheels within wheels man, wheels within wheels

duuuuuuuuuude
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Shevara wrote:
    What was stated was stated in the very first post of this thread. Via the link to the video. At the 3:16 mark.

Link to original video

Everything you read in an internet video is true.
This discussion has been closed.